Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,912 members, 7,814,080 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:59 AM

Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road (43474 Views)

Nasarawa Government Signs MoU With Russian Firm On Abuja-Keffi Rail Line / Jonathan Government Used Bullion Vans To Move N67.2bn From CBN (Throwback] / Nasarawa Government House Without Electricity For 24 Years - FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by Islie: 9:29am On Mar 11, 2022
DUBAWA uncovered that the 'before' picture of the completed Sisinka/Kwarra road in Wamba LGC, Nasarawa State, is false and extracted from another location.

by Silas Jonathan

Claim: On its official Facebook page, the Nasarawa State Government posted a picture of a ‘before and after’ construction of a road it claims to be in Sisinbaki-Kwarra, Wamba Local Government Area of the state.

Verdict: Analysis shows that the ‘after’ image was truly that of Sisinbaki-Kwarra road in Wamba Local Government Area. The ‘before’ was, however, an image of a road under construction in Camaçari Metropolitan Road in Lauro de Freitas, Brazil back in 2015. As such, this claim is misleading.

Full Context

Social media has become an acceptable part of our daily lives as a means of information dissemination. While there are ongoing debates about its efficiency, organisations and sectors continually use it to promote their agenda and activities.

It is in light of this reality that the official Facebook page of the Nasarawa State Government shared a ‘before and after’ picture of a road it claims to be in Sisinbaki-Kwarra, Wamba Local Government Area of the state.

The Facebook page has over 13,000 followers and contains thousands of other pictures that convey the achievements of the state governor, Abdullahi Sule.

The governor, who is an entrepreneur and businessman, was elected in 2019 under the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC). The Facebook page captures his achievements since assuming office.

Comments on the page show that many depend on the page for authentic news about the state and take it as a reliable source. For instance, a user wrote this in praise of the page: “It brings to the people what the government is doing with(out) any distortion but as it is.”

How true is this particular information from the page?

Controversy

The post, which presents the picture of the ‘before and after’ road construction, attracted over 200 reactions and over 70 re-shares. Even more, the same picture with apparently the same narrative is featured on other Facebook users’ pages and also on Twitter.

For example, a user, Akashe Abdullahi Ari (@AkasheAri), on Twitter, tweeted a picture of the road with the caption: “Before and after construction of 15.5km Sissinbaki-Kwarra Road in Wamba. Thank you, Governor Engr. Abdullahi A. Sule.”

A tweet by a user sharing the same claim on Twitter

However, not convincing enough for some users, they challenged the authenticity of the picture. “In Wamba Nah halfway to” Ibrahim commented. Also, another user, Joan, who doubted the picture challenged that “the picture of the road above is not in Nasarawa State. This is not true.”

Nasarawa State is a state in the North-central region of Nigeria, bordered to the east by Taraba and Plateau states, to the north by Kaduna, to the south by Kogi and Benue, and to the west by the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

Verifying the ‘before’ picture of the road

To verify the ‘before’ picture in the narrative, a Yandex reverse image was conducted to trace the actual source of the ‘before’ picture of the road.

The Yandex results show the picture was first used in 2015 in a report that details the construction of the Camaçari Metropolitan Road in Lauro de Freitas, Brazil.

A screenshot of the actual source of the ‘Before’ image of the road on Jornal Grande Bahia

In fact, the Newspaper Grand Bahia, a leading publication in Brazil, reported on several levels of the road’s construction. Even more, the article credited the picture to Mateus Pereira of the Jornal Grande Bahia.

Multiple reports on the Jornal Grande Bahia detailing the process of the road construction of the Camaçari Metropolitan Road in Lauro de Freitas, Brazil

Screenshots of the News reports on the completed road project in Brazil, not in Nasarawa state, Nigeria

The current governor of Nasarawa State, Mr Sule, to whom the alleged road was referenced, came into office in 2019, while the ‘before’ image of the road has been in existence since 2015 as found in the Jornal Grande Bahia.

Thus, the alleged image used to depict the ‘before’ conditions of the road in Sisinbaki-Kwarra, Wamba local government council, Nasarawa state Nigeria, is false.

Verifying the ‘after’ picture of the road

When a google reverse image search of the alleged ‘after’ conditions of the road was conducted, results from multiple credible news sources show the image was truly that of the Sisinbaki-Kwarra road, Wamba Local Government Area.

In a news story by Eggonnews, the governor was reported to commission the Sisinbaki-Kwarra road in Wamba local government council, Nasarawa State Nigeria, on May 22, 2021.

A screenshot of the ‘after’ road construction as presented in Eggonnews report

Screenshot from the Eggonnews report depicting the governor about to commission the Sisinka/Kwarra road

In another report by Afridailynews, the governor was also reported to commission the same Sisinka-Kwarra road on the same day as that of the initial report, May 22, 2022.

Both reports featured the image of the road ‘after’ completion. Even more, one image shared on Afridailynews showed the governor beside a signpost with the details of the Sisinbaki/Kwarra road project.

DUBAWA visited the location to further verify the claim. Findings at the location revealed that the purported ‘after’ picture of the road is actually true of the road project.

Community members who confirmed the claim admitted that the ‘before’ picture of the road is nowhere near their environment. However, they ascertained that the ‘after’ picture was genuine and even took DUBAWA to the actual location.

John Joel, a member of the Sisinbaki community who took DUBAWA around, said that the claim by the state government is indeed misleading.

“The ‘before’ picture is not from this part, this is not anywhere in Sisinbaki/Kwarra axis. I was here before and after and I can’t recall this location. But the ‘after’ is true, I even know the location, and I can take you to the exact place.”

Similarly, Abdullahi Muhammad, a bike rider who acknowledged the same narrative offered to take this reporter to the location.

The location of the “after” picture of the road as indicated by the community members

DUBAWA’s findings uncovered that the Sisinbaki/Kwarra road project was actually constructed and even commissioned in 2021 by Mr Sule. However, the picture shared to depict the ‘after and before’ condition of the road is misleading.

Further attempts made to contact the Facebook page of the Nasarawa State government for comments were not successful. Neither the messages sent on Facebook nor the ones sent via the email address provided on the page were replied to.

Likewise, two of the governor’s media aides also did not respond to calls and messages placed to their known telephone numbers as of the time this report was filed.

Conclusion

While DUBAWA has uncovered that the ‘before’ picture of the completed Sisinka/Kwarra road in Wamba LGC, Nasarawa State is false and extracted from another location, the ‘after’ picture is truly that of the completed road project. The claim by the state government is misleading.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/516531-fact-check-nasarawa-govt-used-picture-from-brazil-to-depict-status-of-its-road.html

Re: Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by yuping(m): 9:39am On Mar 11, 2022
undecided please people who stays around this environment that government usually claims they have develop please they don't read news or what, because I don't understand anymore.
How can a state government or LGA publish a road construction of your area and you will not come out to speak up, the way I see it f00lish people don many pass the sane people and its really affecting us.

74 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by heniford2: 9:39am On Mar 11, 2022
Is not a new thing anymore but what normally ask is when this governors visit the western country don't they feel ashamed of themselves undecided

65 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by todaynewsreview: 9:41am On Mar 11, 2022
It's very common with our politicians.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by thesolutions(m): 9:42am On Mar 11, 2022
The camera man sent to do the job could not get a nice shot so he opted to someones nice shot.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by Maxymilliano(m): 9:43am On Mar 11, 2022
Verdict: Analysis shows that the ‘after’ image was truly that of Sisinbaki-Kwarra road in Wamba Local Government Area. The ‘before’ was, however, an image of a road under construction in Camaçari Metropolitan Road in Lauro de Freitas, Brazil back in 2015. As such, this claim is misleading.
Abeg help me check the political party the governor belong .... I wan confirm something

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by Racoon(m): 9:49am On Mar 11, 2022
Nothing new expected from a government formed to thrive only based on lies and propaganda.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by talktimi(m): 9:50am On Mar 11, 2022
Maxymilliano:

Abeg help me check the political party the governor belong .... I wan confirm something
when you hear nonsense like this, just know that it's APC

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by GooodHardDick: 12:55pm On Mar 11, 2022
Nigeria is gone!

3 Likes

Re: Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by Passionate888: 12:56pm On Mar 11, 2022
APC and lies sha

7 Likes

Re: Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by Cholls(m): 12:56pm On Mar 11, 2022
My brother so sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by JosephXavier: 12:56pm On Mar 11, 2022
When people write the list of useless governors in Nigeria, they quickly write
Okezie Ikpeazu
Oyetola
Ben Ayade
Duoye Diri

But they forget the chairman is Nassarawa state governor

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by devigblegble: 12:56pm On Mar 11, 2022
Oro ilu yi sin pami lekun

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by ElValiente(m): 12:57pm On Mar 11, 2022
yuping:
undecided please people who stays around this environment that government usually claims they have develop please they don't read news or what, because I don't understand anymore.
How can a state government or LGA publish a road construction of your area and you will not come out to speak up, the way I see it f00lish people don many pass the sane people and its really affecting us.

We are Nigerians we don't speak out. We just Moove and call it cruise. Don't take this country too serious.

2 Likes

Re: Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by Eriokanmi: 12:57pm On Mar 11, 2022
Is it not same gov suie who claimed to have lived in America for many years? I comment my reserve.

This is a good reason these people must be booted out next year. Nigeria is stagnant. Plagiarism is APC second name grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by Frosheer(m): 12:58pm On Mar 11, 2022
them don start

1 Like

Re: Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by Winningbot: 12:58pm On Mar 11, 2022
Nigeria is a scam
Re: Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by omooba969(m): 12:59pm On Mar 11, 2022
Yahoo-Yahoo governor = Yahoo-Yahoo government. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by temitopealab: 12:59pm On Mar 11, 2022
Na naija I see say everything dem dey take play politics
Re: Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by yuping(m): 1:00pm On Mar 11, 2022
ElValiente:

We are Nigerians we don't speak out. We just Moove and call it cruise. Don't take this country too serious.
and also pray to God for problem we can solves ourselves.
Re: Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by SarkinYarki: 1:00pm On Mar 11, 2022
APC is the worst thing that can happen to any nation

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by FreeStuffsNG: 1:01pm On Mar 11, 2022
The Governor is actually smart, eloquent and hardworking.
The President visited them some days back and like Osun, watch out for that state in just few years.If you know you know wink
I am sure it is one lazy govt official who committed this plagiarism and should be reprimanded.

On the mandate of Asiwaju Tinubu I stand.
Here's free book on business ideas & money sources directory for you,it's 100% free! https://www.nairaland.com/6666800/looking-business-ideas-money-fund. Cheers.

Re: Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by RealityBender(f): 1:01pm On Mar 11, 2022
Islie:

DUBAWA uncovered that the 'before' picture of the completed Sisinka/Kwarra road in Wamba LGC, Nasarawa State, is false and extracted from another location.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/516531-fact-check-nasarawa-govt-used-picture-from-brazil-to-depict-status-of-its-road.html
This govt and lies fa! It seems these stupid old men don’t realize we’re in the social media âge where apps like google images can easily uncover your bs!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by Egoveen: 1:01pm On Mar 11, 2022
They can only deceive the gullible as for me I will keep calm, fold my hands and drink my gulder in peace.....ki lo kan mi

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by BKayy: 1:01pm On Mar 11, 2022
Someone is getting sacked today
Re: Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by Ttalk: 1:02pm On Mar 11, 2022
Association of comment before reading.

The before pics is the contention here and not the after.
Blame that on the state's ministry of work and their media department that used a downloaded image and not the governor or APC who is not responsible for the error

2 Likes

Re: Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by ifeoma2611(f): 1:03pm On Mar 11, 2022
Imagine that
Re: Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road by Nobody: 1:03pm On Mar 11, 2022
grin Call Julius Berger 1

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Labaran Maku: We Thought The Obidient Movement Was A Joke / Soldiers Shooting At Shiites In Abuja (Disturbing Video) / Updates On Developments In Kaduna State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.