Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,122 members, 7,814,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

How Does Your Sleep Position Affect Your Dreams? Find Out! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Does Your Sleep Position Affect Your Dreams? Find Out! (473 Views)

How Often Does Your Spouse Provoke You? / The Best Pillow For Your Sleep Position / Tell Me Your Dreams. I Interpret All Dreams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Does Your Sleep Position Affect Your Dreams? Find Out! by Y4all: 4:16pm On Mar 11, 2022
Dreaming is natural and everybody dreams. However, there’s no definitive evidence about what dreams consist of, but brain scientists have consensually agreed that dreams are a collection of thoughts, struggles, emotions, events, people, places, and symbols that are relevant to the dreamer in some way. Simply put, Dreams most likely take place during the REM sleep cycle, which is when the brain is the most active. Therefore, the state you are in, or the particular manner you may be sleeping, can dramatically impact the dream visuals you get. Yes! Research suggests a correlation between sleep position and dream type
From our research, some of the deduced generalizations we can make include:

Side Sleepers:
Sleeping in a lateral position is one very common position among individuals. Research suggests that sleepers often have disturbing dreams. Studies have found that right-side sleepers experienced more positive dreams and fewer nightmares than left-side sleepers. Sleeping on your right side may cause you to dream of swallowing or burning. On the other hand, Sleeping on the left side keeps your stomach below your esophagus, and gravity may help with reflux.

Back Sleepers:
Supine Sleeping which is also referred to as sleeping on the back makes people more susceptible to back pain and may further alter their dreams. Back sleepers, though it is considered the best position for your health and career, can also produce consistent nightmares. And what is frustrating for back sleepers is that they will have more trouble recalling their dreams. Studies have shown that people who sleep on their backs experience more nightmares and find it harder to remember their dreams. As part of the problems associated with back, sleeping is breathing-related sleep disorders, such as sleep apnea, which have significant impacts on the intensity of dreaming.

Stomach Sleepers:
Sleeping prone, on your stomach, may also put a strain on your lower back and cause neck pain People who sleep on their stomachs report increased restlessness caused by frequent tossing and turning to get comfortable. Stomach sleepers, according to studies, experience dreams that are more vivid, intense, and sexual. Despite the reports of erotic dreams, experts’ advise that people should avoid stomach sleeping because they are more likely to have dreams in which they’re immobilized or restrained

What other factors can affect our dreams?
Your bedroom
The temperature of your room, how dark or light your room is and what noises you can hear throughout the night will all have impacts on your sleep quality. If there are distractions arising during sleep, you will most likely be entering a light sleep which can often impact what you are dreaming about.

Music and sound
As we can hear in our sleep, music, and sounds can have an impact on our dreams. Sometimes dreams may include the sound of an alarm which wakes you up rather suddenly. Once you wake, you discover that your alarm is, in fact, going off and you first heard it in your dream.

Your nightwear
As temperature affects the way your brain works, what you wear to sleep in could affect your dreams. If you have had a series of bad dreams night after night, it could simply mean you were a bit too warm.

Conclusion
Factors that influence one’s dream are inexhaustible. While we have empirical evidence to support some assertions, some others are merely weakly associated with dreams. However, since there’s no conclusive full proof for any of these factors, other factors such as watching a scary movie before bedtime, eating spicy food, or even a rattling window which largely depends on individuals and can also contribute to one having an unusual dream?
So next time you prepare to sleep, make sure you are very comfortable so as to get a restful night!

Re: How Does Your Sleep Position Affect Your Dreams? Find Out! by chatinent: 4:18pm On Mar 11, 2022
You don sleep before without eating? Bad dream na your mate?
Re: How Does Your Sleep Position Affect Your Dreams? Find Out! by Beremx(f): 4:26pm On Mar 11, 2022
I am not bothered about dreaming. I am fuccking scared of sleeping paralysis. Shit scares me the most and I have it at least once a week embarassed embarassed
Re: How Does Your Sleep Position Affect Your Dreams? Find Out! by Totilopussylick(m): 4:34pm On Mar 11, 2022
chatinent:
You don sleep before with eating? Bad dream na your mate?
i used to dream where l'm eating.

But lately it just an imaginary vision.
Re: How Does Your Sleep Position Affect Your Dreams? Find Out! by VEXT: 12:16am On Mar 12, 2022
Beremx:
I am not bothered about dreaming. I am fuccking scared of sleeping paralysis. Shit scares me the most and I have it at least once a week embarassed embarassed

Esp if you sleep with your back ..

1 Like

Re: How Does Your Sleep Position Affect Your Dreams? Find Out! by Candidlady: 1:31am On Mar 12, 2022
VEXT:

Esp if you sleep with your back ..

This is so true

(1) (Reply)

Infinix Note 7 Lite For Sales Urgently / Chrisland Student Saga: From Experience / I Surrender After This — Pregnant Woman In Labor Tells Her Husband (Pix, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.