Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,820 members, 7,810,147 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:43 PM

Agriculture Is A Goldmine If You Do It The Right Way - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Agriculture Is A Goldmine If You Do It The Right Way (1502 Views)

Avocado � Farming In Nigeria: An Untapped Goldmine / Nigerians Dont Know Agriculture Is As Lucrative As Crude Oil! See How.. / Great Money Making Opportunity: Tap Into This Under Exploited Goldmine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Agriculture Is A Goldmine If You Do It The Right Way by Ogunleti01: 10:19am On Mar 14, 2022
Agriculture Is A Goldmine If You Do It The Right Way
Developing strong passion for what you know how to do best will help you a lot in distinguishing you out of the Crowd. I have always developed this passion for agriculture right from when i finished my secondary school. I did not start it big as every business we see blossoming today,they all started from the scratch. Do not despise the day of little beginning.
My first voyage into agricultural world was broiler rearing in 2007 and i can confidently tell u it was a total mess. from the cage construction, to their feeding, to the management of heat stress, and most importantly marketing, i learnt my lessons the hard way. I won't forget the hard knock i got when gumboro wiped out my flock of about 250(6weeks old isa brown) with 24hours occassioned by my hesitant to vaccinate them on time. From that period onward have gone to make thousands in profit from the same venture that dealt me a huge blow in the first instance.
Worthy of note was my decision to venture into cash crop farming when Npower gave everybody red card. Year 2020 was the most challenging year for me because i did the extraordinary. You know what, i emptied every penny in my account and went and bought almost 4 acres of land along Ogun river in Oyo state. it was so challenging in the sense that i practically became dependent on some people at some point, later took up part time teaching job to augment for things. My farm became my first office bought jungle boot, cutlass, chemicals and alone inside the thick forest i started bringing my plans into reality. i it took me almost 6weeks to clear about 4 and a half acres of land, killed the big tree with chemicals, pegged the land and had to uproot 800 plantain sucker my self from my neighbors' farms free of charge and i did the planting. This i finished in May 26th 2020. it was never an easy experience at all.
From there a different journey altogether, i had earlier sourced for hybrid cocoa pod to nurse as the farm was originally meant to be a cocoa plantation. I went to several farms doing research and at the end i got a specie i was looking for and from there i started picking up purewater nylon here and there. some loose mouths were even saying "abi pure water nylon ni won tun lo bayi nii" i laughed i never allow that to weigh me down at all. i was able to gather 2300 nylons and out of it i filled 1400 with rich humus and plantated my cocoa. i finished transplanting my cocoa to the field on 6th June, 2020.
The first harvest i was expecting from my plantain in April 2021 about 5 bunches were cut by thieves. they were the one that first tasted out of my sweat. from there being nervous of how to market my harvest, i went to one food vendor to tell her i can be supplying plantain to her. Her attitude at first did not go down well with me as she was doing as if i have come to beg her to buy. The following week i went to the farm and cut some packed them on my bike and straight to her canteen before i could come down from my bike she said did you bring this for me ?noo i can buy all these, they are too small. chai! i felt dejected made a u turn and headed straight home. on the way i sold off the plantain!. later i met with those that were already in the farm before me( the mistake i made) and i was told no matter how small ur produce is always take it to the market. The next harvest one and a half dozen i took it to the market straight and before i could even get down from my bike almost 4 buyers surrounded me and where the ones even helping me to remove the rope from my bike. That night i went home with 13500. Wao! so "emi nikan tan" from there #45000, 55k, 70k from 2021 up to this present moment i have realised almost #452000 from plantain alone. and confidently bought another one acre plant plantain there too. In all of this determination is very key! it is only in agriculture that you can be guaranteed of making double of your investment as profit if you do it the right way. And the sweetest part of it now is that i now have a federal job that i do and the farm is like my second source of income. Just this evening i got some cash from my plantain! In the next 6-7years God's willing something should also be coming from my cocoa. It really pays to do agriculture

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agriculture Is A Goldmine If You Do It The Right Way by Nobody: 10:52am On Mar 14, 2022
I want to go into Agriculture too. Kindly drop your WhatsApp number to reach you so as to talk better. Or your email address better still. Thank you.
Re: Agriculture Is A Goldmine If You Do It The Right Way by MrDigitalVentur: 6:09pm On Mar 15, 2022
I always loved to read these kind of stories

Thanks you Op!

My question can one person do all the work in farming

Or you hired too
Re: Agriculture Is A Goldmine If You Do It The Right Way by flourish01(m): 7:08pm On Mar 15, 2022
Hello...
Re: Agriculture Is A Goldmine If You Do It The Right Way by Ogunleti01: 10:10pm On Mar 15, 2022
MrDigitalVentur:
I always loved to read these kind of stories

Thanks you Op!

My question can one person do all the work in farming

Or you hired too
Well if the fund is there all u need is to judiciously use it with proper supervision but in the absence of that you try and do the little u can. But the good thing is even if u are using money to do most of the work ,there are times that it would be necessary to be personally involved. labourers would always try and beat time so as to earn as much as they can so your own personal effort would be required at some point

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Agriculture Is A Goldmine If You Do It The Right Way by Ogunleti01: 10:12pm On Mar 15, 2022
flourish01:
Hello, kindly chat me up on this number 080 2445. 88.17 or you can drop your number also. I'll like to ask u few questions. Thanks
whataspp only zero nine zero six two one eight five four one seven
Re: Agriculture Is A Goldmine If You Do It The Right Way by Emmyxclusive: 7:17am On Mar 17, 2022
Ogunleti01:
Developing strong passion for what you know how to do best will help you a lot in distinguishing you out of the Crowd. I have always developed this passion for agriculture right from when i finished my secondary school. I did not start it big as every business we see blossoming today,they all started from the scratch. Do not despise the day of little beginning.
My first voyage into agricultural world was broiler rearing in 2007 and i can confidently tell u it was a total mess. from the cage construction, to their feeding, to the management of heat stress, and most importantly marketing, i learnt my lessons the hard way. I won't forget the hard knock i got when gumboro wiped out my flock of about 250(6weeks old isa brown) with 24hours occassioned by my hesitant to vaccinate them on time. From that period onward have gone to make thousands in profit from the same venture that dealt me a huge blow in the first instance.
Worthy of note was my decision to venture into cash crop farming when Npower gave everybody red card. Year 2020 was the most challenging year for me because i did the extraordinary. You know what, i emptied every penny in my account and went and bought almost 4 acres of land along Ogun river in Oyo state. it was so challenging in the sense that i practically became dependent on some people at some point, later took up part time teaching job to augment for things. My farm became my first office bought jungle boot, cutlass, chemicals and alone inside the thick forest i started bringing my plans into reality. i it took me almost 6weeks to clear about 4 and a half acres of land, killed the big tree with chemicals, pegged the land and had to uproot 800 plantain sucker my self from my neighbors' farms free of charge and i did the planting. This i finished in May 26th 2020. it was never an easy experience at all.
From there a different journey altogether, i had earlier sourced for hybrid cocoa pod to nurse as the farm was originally meant to be a cocoa plantation. I went to several farms doing research and at the end i got a specie i was looking for and from there i started picking up purewater nylon here and there. some loose mouths were even saying "abi pure water nylon ni won tun lo bayi nii" i laughed i never allow that to weigh me down at all. i was able to gather 2300 nylons and out of it i filled 1400 with rich humus and plantated my cocoa. i finished transplanting my cocoa to the field on 6th June, 2020.
The first harvest i was expecting from my plantain in April 2021 about 5 bunches were cut by thieves. they were the one that first tasted out of my sweat. from there being nervous of how to market my harvest, i went to one food vendor to tell her i can be supplying plantain to her. Her attitude at first did not go down well with me as she was doing as if i have come to beg her to buy. The following week i went to the farm and cut some packed them on my bike and straight to her canteen before i could come down from my bike she said did you bring this for me ?noo i can buy all these, they are too small. chai! i felt dejected made a u turn and headed straight home. on the way i sold off the plantain!. later i met with those that were already in the farm before me( the mistake i made) and i was told no matter how small ur produce is always take it to the market. The next harvest one and a half dozen i took it to the market straight and before i could even get down from my bike almost 4 buyers surrounded me and where the ones even helping me to remove the rope from my bike. That night i went home with 13500. Wao! so "emi nikan tan" from there #45000, 55k, 70k from 2021 up to this present moment i have realised almost #452000 from plantain alone. and confidently bought another one acre plant plantain there too. In all of this determination is very key! it is only in agriculture that you can be guaranteed of making double of your investment as profit if you do it the right way. And the sweetest part of it now is that i now have a federal job that i do and the farm is like my second source of income. Just this evening i got some cash from my plantain! In the next 6-7years God's willing something should also be coming from my cocoa. It really pays to do agriculture
Thanks for the inspiration, I wish u more success. I have always been passionate about agric and I hope to try maize and beans this year. My choice is because I live in the north and it's easiest kind of crop to grow here. I have procrastinated enough so I have to try it in planting season no matter what. My challenge dough is cash hence I want to seek an advice. A friend introduced me to someone from thrive agric who said they can fund the operation after which I will sell to them. They said I have to join a farm union at thier chosen location by registering with 8k per hectare after which they will bring all the farm input that will worth about 176k per hectare including labor. A hectare according to him is expected to give 40 bags of maize which they will buy. They said I can also plant beans on the same farm land which is part of my profit as they are not interested in beans. So after buying they will remove thier capital and balance me. Would u advise me to embark on this as a first timer? Another option I am considering is to start small at a rented land

1 Like

Re: Agriculture Is A Goldmine If You Do It The Right Way by Ogunleti01: 12:13pm On Mar 17, 2022
Emmyxclusive:
Thanks for the inspiration, I wish u more success. I have always been passionate about agric and I hope to try maize and beans this year. My choice is because I live in the north and it's easiest kind of crop to grow here. I have procrastinated enough so I have to try it in planting season no matter what. My challenge dough is cash hence I want to seek an advice. A friend introduced me to someone from thrive agric who said they can fund the operation after which I will sell to them. They said I have to join a farm union at thier chosen location by registering with 8k per hectare after which they will bring all the farm input that will worth about 176k per hectare including labor. A hectare according to him is expected to give 40 bags of maize which they will buy. They said I can also plant beans on the same farm land which is part of my profit as they are not interested in beans. So after buying they will remove thier capital and balance me. Would u advise me to embark on this as a first timer? Another option I am considering is to start small at a rented land
If you are venturing into Agriculture for the first time i would advise you to stay off any loan. A whole lot to learn in agric oo and it is not advisable to do trial and error with the money that does not belong to u directly

3 Likes

Re: Agriculture Is A Goldmine If You Do It The Right Way by Emmyxclusive: 7:29pm On Mar 18, 2022
Ogunleti01:
If you are venturing into Agriculture for the first time i would advise you to stay off any loan. A whole lot to learn in agric oo and it is not advisable to do trial and error with the money that does not belong to u directly
Thanks alot, I thought about it too and what will happen if the yield is low and I can't pay them.
Please any idea of how much is needed for a hectare land of maiza? The amount for lease of land should be excluded
Re: Agriculture Is A Goldmine If You Do It The Right Way by Ogunleti01: 7:38pm On Mar 18, 2022
Emmyxclusive:
Thanks alot, I thought about it too and what will happen if the yield is low and I can't pay them.
Please any idea of how much is needed for a hectare land of maiza? The amount for lease of land should be excluded
we cannot have a uniform estimate as for instance the cost of ploughing an acre in town A might be different from town B. the cost of labour too, agric inputs all of these differ so it would not be okay to use a central yardstick to estimate

3 Likes

Re: Agriculture Is A Goldmine If You Do It The Right Way by Jove2012: 11:06pm On Apr 02, 2022
Ogunleti01:

Good job am encouraged on this. Also thanks for sharing. One thing I like about you is your never die attitude.
Re: Agriculture Is A Goldmine If You Do It The Right Way by Alberttahir: 8:14am On Apr 03, 2022
Impressive. Congratulations @op on your success. I'm interested in starting plantain and cocoa farm too, but my fear and challenge is to be able to get land that'll be free of herdsmen activities.
Re: Agriculture Is A Goldmine If You Do It The Right Way by Illusionale(m): 8:55am On Apr 03, 2022
I would like to invest in your business
Even if na small
Drop email or phone
Re: Agriculture Is A Goldmine If You Do It The Right Way by Roseey0(f): 7:21am On Apr 05, 2022
Can you take me through the process of maintaining a plantain plantation. I have land wasting away and I just want to start even if its for family consumption alone.

My areas of concern;
Do I have to plough the entire land before planting?

How do one apply manure and at what frequency

I read 2/3 cm abi is it mm spacing is OK for the sucker?
Pls confirm how you spaced yours.

How often should the land be weeded?

Is it advisable to gather suckered randomly or buy from a special source?
I ask because I reached out to a supplier who quoted 700 per sucker. Is it worth it or I should just go for random suckers?

How often did you water?

Are there other things to look out for?

Will be looking forward to your reply
Re: Agriculture Is A Goldmine If You Do It The Right Way by Sheikht: 6:35pm On Apr 05, 2022
Can anyone recommend me the spreader for spreading seed?
Re: Agriculture Is A Goldmine If You Do It The Right Way by Ogunleti01: 10:23pm On Apr 06, 2022
Roseey0:
Can you take me through the process of maintaining a plantain plantation. I have land wasting away and I just want to start even if its for family consumption alone.

My areas of concern;
Do I have to plough the entire land before planting?

How do one apply manure and at what frequency

I read 2/3 cm abi is it mm spacing is OK for the sucker?
Pls confirm how you spaced yours.

How often should the land be weeded?

Is it advisable to gather suckered randomly or buy from a special source?
I ask because I reached out to a supplier who quoted 700 per sucker. Is it worth it or I should just go for random suckers?

How often did you water?

Are there other things to look out for?

Will be looking forward to your reply
well if the land u intend to use is a virgin land no need to plough what matters most is the depth of your planting hole at least 40cm deep. If the fertility of the soil has diminished then you can lightly plough it. the recommended planting space for me is 3mX 3m 9 feet aparts. It is not advisable to gather sucker randomly try and verify d specie from where ever you intend to get the sucker. buying a sucker for #700 is outrageous. Some internet farms has a way of inflating thing sorry to say this! i would recommended the use of organic fertilizer poultry manure that has been properly decomposed! Again this still depends on the fertility of the soil. if the soil is fertile there is no need.

1 Like

Re: Agriculture Is A Goldmine If You Do It The Right Way by Roseey0(f): 7:27am On Apr 07, 2022
Ogunleti01:
well if the land u intend to use is a virgin land no need to plough what matters most is the depth of your planting hole at least 40cm deep. If the fertility of the soil has diminished then you can lightly plough it. the recommended planting space for me is 3mX 3m 9 feet aparts. It is not advisable to gather sucker randomly try and verify d specie from where ever you intend to get the sucker. buying a sucker for #700 is outrageous. Some internet farms has a way of inflating thing sorry to say this! i would recommended the use of organic fertilizer poultry manure that has been properly decomposed! Again this still depends on the fertility of the soil. if the soil is fertile there is no need.

Thank you. This is very helpfull
Re: Agriculture Is A Goldmine If You Do It The Right Way by aceonline: 12:58pm On Apr 22, 2022
Very informative. Thanks for sharing the post. Enroll for GATE Preparation Online
Re: Agriculture Is A Goldmine If You Do It The Right Way by aceonline: 1:03pm On Apr 22, 2022
Thanks for sharing the most needed. Very Informative. Thanks for sharing the post. Get more information at GATE Preparation Online
Re: Agriculture Is A Goldmine If You Do It The Right Way by Babakolanut(m): 8:54pm On Apr 27, 2023
Good initiatives and encouraging reports,pls where is the farm located? Can one still get fertile farmland in the neighbour hood to buy? Update me on whatsapp +2349034612092 or unclemoringa@gmail.com
Re: Agriculture Is A Goldmine If You Do It The Right Way by socialmedia012: 11:40am On May 28, 2023
If you're in the market for a reliable and efficient baler, john deere 348 baler for sale is an excellent choice. Known for their durability and exceptional performance, these balers are designed to meet the demands of farmers looking to bale hay, straw, or other forage materials.

(1) (Reply)

Need Info On Small Scale Tomato Farming / Order Your Clean Wood Ash For Tomato Preservation, Compost, Ph Amendment, E.t.c / Ginger Slicing Machine: SOLD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.