Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,829 members, 7,862,731 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 02:58 AM

7 Habits Of Highly Unsuccessful Writers - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 7 Habits Of Highly Unsuccessful Writers (93 Views)

Habits That You Need To Stop In 2019 / Having These 5 People As Friends Would Keep You Unsuccessful / 17 Bad Habits You Need To Kill In 2017 To Be More Successful In 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

7 Habits Of Highly Unsuccessful Writers by muffleitkushagr: 12:00pm On Mar 15, 2022
1. Why Write Today, When There’s Always Tomorrow

Procrastination is a fantastic way to become an unsuccessful writer. If you place off what should be written today, nothing gets written, ever.
Any successful writer (for me “successful” means getting paid for writing) sits down to write every day.

Also Visit: sauce walka net worth

*Stephen King says he sets his daily writing goal by the number of words he writes, not by how much time he sits at his computer. Excellent advice, wouldn’t you agree?

2. Brainstorming for Hours, Days, Weeks, or Longer

Please refer back to habit number 1. Yes, brainstorming for too long can be considered a form of procrastination, and an excellent writer always gives his brew time to percolate, but too much of an excellent thing can become muddied, with the original flavor lost in the dregs. A successful writer learns when to say “I reckon I have enough excellent thoughts for now.”

3. Writing for Yourself and Not Connecting with an Audience

Most unsuccessful writers write in their own heads. They expect the reader to know all of the inside jokes and know references that aren’t universally known. There are many different types, styles, and genres of writing and if you desire to be an excellent writer, know whom you are working for. It’s that simple. Would you write an erotica romance for a women’s inspirational group?

Read more: how to set yahoo as my homepage on google chrome

4. Never Edit the First Draft

An unsuccessful writer will never edit their first draft. Why? Because it is already perfect. Call it pride, arrogance, naivete, whatever you like. Please know this, the best authors in the world revise their work, usually more than once.
Afterward they have an editor line-edit for grammatical errors. Before the work is submitted for publication, it gets one finial review. Can you master, lets say, the art of Sushi making on the first try?

5. Revise, Edit, Review and Repeat

We have all seen some brilliant tales become convoluted and morph into something much different then what it was intended to be, all because of the revise, edit, review and repeat syndrome. This is not to be confused with habit number 4, never edit your first draft. Here, too much of a excellent thing goes terrible. With an excess amount of revision and editing your tale will stray from home and get lost in a pile of inadequate expositions.

6. Combine Negative Self-talk with Excessive Worrying

Even the most seasoned professional writer can slip into the “I’m not worthy” mode of operation and therefor reckon they have nothing to write. Self-doubt, for me is “I lack the talent of a fantastic writer.” I know it’s not right because you are all enjoying this article. Right? Of course you are.
Remember, an unsuccessful writer will listen to their inner demon and believe every word it hisses. Choose to listen to you angel; the one that sings to you even at your lowest. She’ll inspire you to do your best.

7. Take to Heart Other People’s Opinion of Your Work

When you’ve completed a piece of writing, don’t give it to anyone and say, “Let me know what you reckon.” If you do, you may not get the feedback you are looking for. Before you let people read your work, let them know what you want out of their critique. Otherwise, anything goes. Don’t be surprised if they start changing your carefully chosen words.

Learn more: safari cant establish a secure connection to the server

You don’t need to hear that someone despises your main character you need to know why and choose your audience with care. A excellent writer wouldn’t give their best friend an article entitled “Why Best Friends are a Pain in the Arse.”

(1) (Reply)

Consult Reputed Employment Litigation Lawyers Assisting To Solve Work Problems / Quality Garard Stone Coated Steel Roof Tile With Warranty Period Of Years / NZDCAD - Descending Channel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.