Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:59 AM

Abaribe: Senate May Not Reconsider Gender Bills - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abaribe: Senate May Not Reconsider Gender Bills (6344 Views)

House Of Reps Rescind Votes On Gender Bills / Senate May Reject Onochie For Inec’s Job / Senate May Spend N5.5b On Official Cars For Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abaribe: Senate May Not Reconsider Gender Bills by MadamVanessa(f): 1:12pm On Mar 15, 2022
Eyinnaya Abaribe, minority leader of the senate, says the senate may not revisit the gender bills rejected by the national assembly

Abaribe said this on Sunday on 90MinutesAfrica, an online interview programme, hosted by Rudolf Okonkwo and Chido Onumah.

Federal lawmakers, on March 1, voted against a bill seeking to provide special seats for women in the national and state houses of assembly.

Also rejected was a bill seeking to provide “reserve quota” for women on appointments.

The decision was followed by protests by women’s groups and civil society activists who have been demanding a reconsideration of the bills.

Subsequently, the house of representatives rescinded its decision on three ”gender bills” in the constitution amendment.

But speaking on Sunday, Abaribe said there is no provision for the bills in the senate schedule for the remainder of its tenure and that “the senate is not reconsidering revisiting the bill”

The decision was followed by protests by women’s groups and civil society activists who have been demanding a reconsideration of the bills.

Subsequently, the house of representatives rescinded its decision on three ”gender bills” in the constitution amendment.

But speaking on Sunday, Abaribe said there is no provision for the bills in the senate schedule for the remainder of its tenure and that “the senate is not reconsidering revisiting the bill”

He said even if the bills were to be reconsidered, they would have to be reintroduced as fresh bills, adding that the political and electioneering activities ahead of the 2023 elections would make that process difficult to achieve because “senators may not pay attention to the bills as they would be engrossed in ensuring their survival in the political field”.

He, however, said there was a glimmer of hope if both chambers of the national assembly agree to fast track the process.

Speaking further, Abaribe explained how the gender bills were “debated, voted and agreed” upon in the committee sessions.

“The members of the committee came from all parts of the country. So, after agreeing on the gender bills at the committee level we thought they would be passed easily on the floor of the senate without too much problem,” he said.

He expressed surprise that the bills were overwhelmingly rejected by senators during voting and pointed out that the action of the senators shows that the “influence of gender and cultural patterns is still very strong and preeminent in their thinking”.

https://www.thecable.ng/senate-may-not-reconsider-gender-bills-says-abaribe/amp

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abaribe: Senate May Not Reconsider Gender Bills by MadamVanessa(f): 1:13pm On Mar 15, 2022
shocked

We women are being marginalized here because Majority of us don't want to work as our male counterparts. We are so lazy . It hurts me so much to see young vibrant women waiting for men to always give them money. How will men then regard us

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abaribe: Senate May Not Reconsider Gender Bills by Karlovych: 1:15pm On Mar 15, 2022
embarassed When will they start demanding equal representation in difficult and risky jobs predominantly carried out by men? Their hypocrisy stinks just like Drugnibu's teeth.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abaribe: Senate May Not Reconsider Gender Bills by BloomingDale(f): 1:40pm On Mar 15, 2022
Karlovych:
embarassed When will they start demanding equal representation in difficult and risky jobs predominantly carried out by men? Their hypocrisy stinks just like Drugnibu's teeth.

Women should please remember selective breeding so we can reduce the number of men.

1 Like

Re: Abaribe: Senate May Not Reconsider Gender Bills by gbaskiboy: 1:47pm On Mar 15, 2022
Clearing my throat
Re: Abaribe: Senate May Not Reconsider Gender Bills by Brendaniel: 1:48pm On Mar 15, 2022
The only bills I support there are the Marriage bill for women, if she marries a foreigner then the husband should be a citizen, and the state indigene bill where she becomes an indigene of the state of her husband, I don't support the rest, you don't get something just because you are a woman...

The rest are Trash...

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abaribe: Senate May Not Reconsider Gender Bills by Karlovych: 1:49pm On Mar 15, 2022
BloomingDale:

Women should please remember selective breeding so we can reduce the number of men.
Once the goal is achieved what next?

4 Likes

Re: Abaribe: Senate May Not Reconsider Gender Bills by Nobody: 1:49pm On Mar 15, 2022
Please let's thread with caution about these feminism movement. God and the bible clearly said it "wives be submissive to your husband" what is all these nonsense...the rate of divorce is caused.by this new 'power tussle'

10 Likes

Re: Abaribe: Senate May Not Reconsider Gender Bills by Gagaan9: 1:49pm On Mar 15, 2022
K

Re: Abaribe: Senate May Not Reconsider Gender Bills by kazyhm(m): 1:57pm On Mar 15, 2022
Most the bills need serious work before it would be accepted
Re: Abaribe: Senate May Not Reconsider Gender Bills by JosephXavier: 1:57pm On Mar 15, 2022
Women always want things to be given to them on a platter of gold

What then is gender equality?

You are advocating for gender equality, and at the same time are campaigning for special seats to be allocated to you

Most of them are not even registered members of a political party

When men are fighting, doing meetings, consulting, lobbying for various positions, women will relax and expect to be compensated at the end of the day for doing nothing

What a hypocrisy

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abaribe: Senate May Not Reconsider Gender Bills by Mattswaggz: 2:00pm On Mar 15, 2022
Good one...

So far this gender equality thing is 100% biased/selective,, then it's useless.

Why should you want equality when it comes to enjoying and rebuke equality when it comes to certain things that require good labour? angry

4 Likes

Re: Abaribe: Senate May Not Reconsider Gender Bills by ATEAMS: 2:02pm On Mar 15, 2022
LoL
Re: Abaribe: Senate May Not Reconsider Gender Bills by Kennyfancy(m): 2:07pm On Mar 15, 2022
Nice one, most of the bills are trash

1 Like

Re: Abaribe: Senate May Not Reconsider Gender Bills by iCauseTrouble: 2:07pm On Mar 15, 2022
They want equal representation but not equal responsibility. Very stupid bill

8 Likes

Re: Abaribe: Senate May Not Reconsider Gender Bills by KingDamzzy(m): 2:09pm On Mar 15, 2022
Abaribe the hypocrite. He has started supporting Atiku for 2023 presidency. Licking the ass of another Fulani man.

Truly, IPOB is PDP And PDP is IPOB.
Re: Abaribe: Senate May Not Reconsider Gender Bills by HISSCRIBE1995: 2:10pm On Mar 15, 2022
Fairmedia:
Please let's thread with caution about these feminism movement. God and the bible clearly said it "wives be submissive to your husband" what is all these nonsense...the rate of divorce is caused.by this new 'power tussle'

Agreed
Re: Abaribe: Senate May Not Reconsider Gender Bills by YaxxVille(m): 2:12pm On Mar 15, 2022
What do women really want?!
Re: Abaribe: Senate May Not Reconsider Gender Bills by VULCAN(m): 2:17pm On Mar 15, 2022
You sound insane.
And Tinubu will be messed up by his own party men.

I'm sure you and the other APC urchins will then blame PDP for his fall
KingDamzzy:
Abaribe the hypocrite. He has started supporting Atiku for 2023 presidency. Licking the ass of another Fulani man.

Truly, IPOB is PDP And PDP is IPOB.

1 Like

Re: Abaribe: Senate May Not Reconsider Gender Bills by ginggerxy: 2:23pm On Mar 15, 2022
BloomingDale:

if you want to kill your sons you can go ahead , but don't ask others to join you in doing the same.

6 Likes

Re: Abaribe: Senate May Not Reconsider Gender Bills by lawrenzooo: 2:23pm On Mar 15, 2022
MadamVanessa:
shocked

We women are being marginalized here because Majority of us don't want to work as our male counterparts. We are so lazy . It hurts me so much to see young vibrant women waiting for men to always give them money. How will men then regard us
Some element of truth. A female friend of mine called me that she's broke and I should help her pray for husband rather than a job. I had to help her correct that mentality.
I also have female friends who are legit hustler. We would hopefully get there some day

2 Likes

Re: Abaribe: Senate May Not Reconsider Gender Bills by AKWATGOLD1(m): 2:27pm On Mar 15, 2022
I think this a trap that PDP group in Senate wanted to used as campaign tools in 2023.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yar’adua Has Been Discharged From Hospital — Pdp / GEJ Adds 'Contact Me' Tab On His facebook For Direct Contact With Us / Pictures From SNG's Town Hall Meeting In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.