Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,816 members, 7,827,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

Question For Architects And Builders - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Question For Architects And Builders (1135 Views)

Nexthome Builders: 2014/2015 New and Ongoing Projects / Post Pictures Of Your Dream Home And Builders Give You Cost Estimate / Looking For Architects And Builders(residential) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Question For Architects And Builders by EuroMeko(m): 1:50am On Jul 01, 2011
As I peruse this forum I see a common denominator, houses being built out of concrete bricks.

It seems to me to be a rather expensive material to use especially considering we are practically in the rain forest.

I am looking for answers on why we don't use woods for the structure such as shown below.

Additionally, I see mostly 2 story structures. Why not many single story buildings?

Re: Question For Architects And Builders by mamagee3(f): 1:54am On Jul 01, 2011
Those houses are gross looking and they are not worth the money wasted. . .
Re: Question For Architects And Builders by EuroMeko(m): 1:58am On Jul 01, 2011
Which houses?
Re: Question For Architects And Builders by brabus(m): 9:38pm On Jul 01, 2011
EuroMeko:

As I peruse this forum I see a common denominator, houses being built out of concrete bricks.

It seems to me to be a rather expensive material to use especially considering we are practically in the rain forest.

I am looking for answers on why we don't use woods for the structure such as shown below.

Additionally, I see mostly 2 story structures. Why not many single story buildings?

At the mention of concrete homes, what usually comes to mind are areas vulnerable to devastating earthquake, hurricane, tornadoes and extreme climate. Nigeria homes are been built with concrete because concrete homes are known for their durability and cost-saving features. Also, there are many other added benefits by choosing to build with concrete.

I personally believe in the adage that "your home is your castle", so I choose to build a house that can withstand nearly any assault Nature can dole out without sacrificing the comfort and design flexibility of a home. While planning my house, I noticed a lot of houses within my neighbourhood are having cracks. I took time to study the situation and discovered that the houses are being affected by blast from WAPCO factory nearby.

So houses are not only destroyed by earthquake, hurricane, tornadoes etc but induced vibrations (man-made assault) are also a culprit.
Re: Question For Architects And Builders by EuroMeko(m): 10:40pm On Jul 01, 2011
Thanks for chiming in Brabus, your reputation precedes you and I value your opinion.
Re: Question For Architects And Builders by Fidelo726: 10:32am On Jul 02, 2011
mama-gee:

Those houses are gross looking and they are not worth the money wasted. . .

if you compare the amount of money spent on the timber structure to that of a similar structure built with cement, then you will appreciate what we have there.
timber structures are relatively less expensive than mansory buildings
Re: Question For Architects And Builders by Fidelo726: 11:01am On Jul 02, 2011
Thank you euromeko.
you are not wrong if you ask why timber structures are not used in this part of the world.
comparing the two structures, timber is far cheaper than mansory structures.

The main reason why we hardly use timber here is because timber that is used for structures are well treated timbers that can withstand the taste of time.
We do not have companies that have the capability to produce such.
A timber that can not be attacked by ants or any insect.
Marine timbers that can hardly be affected by rain or moisture.

Another reason is that thse structures are not commonly in use so, the number of skill persons to handle them is limited.
No company can boast of being into timber structures.

But I can assure you that if the government really look into it and try it, they will subscribe to it.

[quote][/quote]
Re: Question For Architects And Builders by brabus(m): 11:37am On Jul 02, 2011
^^^I concur we have people with limited experience but I tend to differ that we do not have companies that are into timber production. I've some companies in Ondo state that are not into anything other than exportation of treated timbers.
Re: Question For Architects And Builders by EuroMeko(m): 3:54pm On Jul 02, 2011
Hello Fidelo:

During my childhood in the 70's when we lived in Ile Oluji, we lived across from a sawmill. These Guys were processing trees into planks. I hope that industry is still being sustained.

As far as insect attacks, we have made great strides in modern science and termite damage is almost a thing of the past. Sure it will have an ongoing bi annual in frame treatment method such as this http://www.pestdefense.com/NEWBUYERS

The flexibility that wood provides is unparalleled and many mansions, some over $20 million dollars here are built the same ways (the crew that framed my modest home shown above were framing a $10 million and $15 million house at the same time). In downtown Fort Worth, Texas, some of the homes from the Cowboy era have been there since the 1800s and they were built out of wood.

Thanks once again for your time Gentlemen.
Re: Question For Architects And Builders by Fidelo726: 12:00pm On Jul 04, 2011
Processing trees into planks is not a problem, because we have quite a lot of uses of planks in mansory structure especially for formwork framing.
Such wood does not need much treatment if at all there is any need for treatment of such.
The type of wood that are mostly treated here are those used for roof trusses.
But this type of treatment involves rubbing with solignum.

The type of wood needed for building structures are treated in the factory against insects and rain.
A very robust material that can hardly fail even with its light weight and very low brittleness.
Re: Question For Architects And Builders by naijafresh: 8:00pm On Jul 30, 2011
For me, this is simple: TERMITES!

Do you think they will treat the timber frame adequately in Nigeria?

Where will you find the expertise to construct timber frames?
Re: Question For Architects And Builders by EuroMeko(m): 8:32pm On Jul 30, 2011
naijafresh:

For me, this is simple: TERMITES!

Do you think they will treat the timber frame adequately in Nigeria?

Where will you find the expertise to construct timber frames?

Yes, I think they can treat timber adequately in Nigeria and I will be doing the construction myself.

(1) (Reply)

Plots Of Land For Sale At Ipaja. And Its Environs / Lashone Estate Simawa Plots And Acres / Fully Detached 5 Bedroom Duplex At Magodo Phase 2 For Outright Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.