Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,153 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:39 AM

Advice A New Father - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Advice A New Father (1717 Views)

Mothers Please Advice A Frustrated Married Man. / Advice A Brother On Marriage... / Advice A Sister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice A New Father by AutoChick4U(f): 7:49pm On Mar 17, 2022
Ephetar:
Hello wonderful Nairalanders... Please I'll need advise from experienced parents. God blessed my family two weeks ago with a wonderful baby. But here's my little challenge, the baby prefers sleeping all through the day and doesn't sleep for long at night waking us up every 2 hours or thereabout. My MIL said it's normal but this lack of sleep is affecting my work and my sharpness during the day... Please is there anyway we can change his sleep cycle and make him sleep more at night instead of during the day...We are new parents please...
Yea I cried during my time. Its a stage, the baby will adjust

1 Like

Re: Advice A New Father by Fred166: 9:52pm On Mar 17, 2022
Jennyclay:
1. Train up a child in the way of the lord; even when he is old he will not depart from it. proverbs 22:6

2. Don't give him the redpill to swallow except you want him to be constituting nuisance on every social media platform like GooodHardDick, Smellysperm, TheGidRedpiller and co, But rather give him the blue pill so that he can be romantic and wise.

3. Give him quality and moral education, also focus on his talent and help him build his talents.

4. Build a cordial relationship between you and your son. Don't instill fear in him.

Congratulations to you! I pray God provide for you to take good care of your family.
You made a valid point but number 2 sounds very funny. Must you mention their names? grin grin
Re: Advice A New Father by Hathor5(f): 10:06pm On Mar 17, 2022
Ephetar:

Lol... thank you... it's not easy though...the stress of Lagos alone is enough headache for me...I drive about an hour to work and another one hour back coupled with the crazy traffic only to come back and not sleep well...But I'm proud to be a father nonetheless...I love my boy so much and I'll always be there for him and wifey

I'm happy for you. smiley

Fatigue is something all parents complain about at the beginning but you and wifey can and should make it easier for yourselves by taking turns. It's important you do because it's not something that will get better within a week or two. It takes months till babies sleep for more than three hours without waking up. And you really need to be fit so that you do not fall asleep while driving. Talk to your wife and ask her if she would be ok with the solution I suggested here or maybe you find a different and better solution. Either way, I hope you guys will manage the situation and fatigue in a way that you can enjoy parenthood.

1 Like

Re: Advice A New Father by Karleb(m): 11:31pm On Mar 17, 2022
Aside from their cute faces and soft bodies, little children are problem.

From crying all night, they will become so active that they might turn you into mad person and they can't even help themselves with the littlest task not even feeding.

Na so you go dey shout command up and down. Abeg children get wahala especially boys.

4 Likes

Re: Advice A New Father by TypicallyBrunt(m): 11:54pm On Mar 17, 2022
You still have it easier OP cheesy
At least you started with one, in our case we're learning on the job with 2 (six weeks old today).
To say I'm stressed is an understatement.
Don't even want to imagine how I'll survive these next few months living like this grin like I'm literally taking it day by day.

4 Likes

Re: Advice A New Father by Ephetar: 1:03am On Mar 18, 2022
Hathor5:

I'm happy for you. smiley

Fatigue is something all parents complain about at the beginning but you and wifey can and should make it easier for yourselves by taking turns. It's important you do because it's not something that will get better within a week or two. It takes months till babies sleep for more than three hours without waking up. And you really need to be fit so that you do not fall asleep while driving. Talk to your wife and ask her if she would be ok with the solution I suggested here or maybe you find a different and better solution. Either way, I hope you guys will manage the situation and fatigue in a way that you can enjoy parenthood.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Advice A New Father by Ephetar: 1:04am On Mar 18, 2022
Karleb:
Aside from their cute faces and soft bodies, little children are problem.

From crying all night, they will become so active that they might turn you into mad person and they can't even help themselves with the littlest task not even feeding.

Na so you go dey shout command up and down. Abeg children get wahala especially boys.

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Advice A New Father by Ephetar: 1:05am On Mar 18, 2022
TypicallyBrunt:
At least you started with one, in our case we're learning on the job with 2 (six weeks old today).
Don't even want to imagine how I'll survive these next few months living like this grin like I'm literally taking it day by day.

Lol...God is your strength and muscle o... Congratulations

1 Like

Re: Advice A New Father by GboyegaD(m): 3:40am On Mar 18, 2022
Ephetar:

Lol....Yea wifey is on mat leave and MIL is around...The issue is that he cries whenever he wakes up to feed and once I hear that cry I won't sleep again till morning...Nawa o ... please at what age will he revert back to normal sleep cycle? It's really not easy being a father....

Learn to sleep after waking up. Since your MIL is around, let the baby sleep in her room provided your wife have extracted enough breast milk for the night and that way, you are not exposed to the noise.
Re: Advice A New Father by cococandy(f): 3:48am On Mar 18, 2022
Is your wife planning to go to work after the usual 3 months maternity leave? You also have to factor that into the care of the child. Because your wife will work all day and come back to stay awake all night again. It can drive the weak insane.
Also your MIL is a human too, when that stage comes, don’t leave it all to her. The three of you should band together and make it work. Na so life be.

Congratulations smiley

4 Likes

Re: Advice A New Father by cococandy(f): 3:48am On Mar 18, 2022
TypicallyBrunt:
congratulations
Re: Advice A New Father by TypicallyBrunt(m): 8:57am On Mar 18, 2022
Ephetar:

Lol...God is your strength and muscle o... Congratulations

E no easy fa grin
Congratulations too.
Hope you have learnt how to prepare the formula and change pampers?
Re: Advice A New Father by TypicallyBrunt(m): 8:58am On Mar 18, 2022
cococandy:
congratulations

Thanks Cococandy
Re: Advice A New Father by Ephetar: 10:49pm On Mar 18, 2022
GboyegaD:

Learn to sleep after waking up. Since your MIL is around, let the baby sleep in her room provided your wife have extracted enough breast milk for the night and that way, you are not exposed to the noise.

Thanks
Re: Advice A New Father by Ephetar: 10:51pm On Mar 18, 2022
cococandy:
Is your wife planning to go to work after the usual 3 months maternity leave? You also have to factor that into the care of the child. Because your wife will work all day and come back to stay awake all night again. It can drive the weak insane.
Also your MIL is a human too, when that stage comes, don’t leave it all to her. The three of you should band together and make it work. Na so life be.

Congratulations smiley

MIL that will go in a month's time? I really don't know how we are going to cope when her Mat leave is over... and she doesn't want a live in nanny...
Re: Advice A New Father by Ephetar: 10:53pm On Mar 18, 2022
TypicallyBrunt:

E no easy fa grin
Congratulations too.
Hope you have learnt how to prepare the formula and change pampers?

Yes o...I can change diaper and feed him...I want to learn how to bath him but Comrade no gree... grin grin grin
Re: Advice A New Father by cococandy(f): 11:01pm On Mar 18, 2022
Ephetar:

MIL that will go in a month's time? I really don't know how we are going to cope when her Mat leave is over... and she doesn't want a live in nanny...
I can’t imagine that it would be easy.
If you guys get a live-in nanny and god forbid something goes wrong, everyone will blame her for bringing someone to come and live with her.
But if she decides not to go back to work, they’ll also say she’s a lazy leech.
You could consider crèche for infants so that at the end of the work day you or her can go pick the baby up.

I’ll tell you what worked for us. At my job I only have to work 3 days to count as full time with all benefits. So I chose to work weekends and my husband worked weekdays. So he took care of the kids during the weekend and I took care of them during the week. When we needed time off, we tried to make it happen at the same time so that we can have a few weeks off work at the same time. Otherwise we wouldn’t have made it.

See if it’s possible for you to come to an arrangement like that. If not, maybe a different family member from your side or hers can come over. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Advice A New Father by Ephetar: 11:09pm On Mar 18, 2022
cococandy:

If you guys get a live-in nanny and god forbid something goes wrong, everyone will blame her for bringing someone to come and live with her.
You could consider crèche for infants so that at the end of the work day you or her can go pick the baby up.

I’ll tell you what worked for us. At my job I only have to work 3 days to count as full time with all benefits. So I chose to work weekends and my husband worked weekdays. So he took care of the kids during the weekend and I took care of them during the week. When we needed time off, we tried to make it happen at the same time so that we can have a few weeks off work at the same time. Otherwise we wouldn’t have made it.

See if it’s possible for you to come to an arrangement like that. If not, maybe a different family member from your side or hers can come over. Good luck.

Wow... thanks cococandy...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice A New Father by baby124: 11:09pm On Mar 18, 2022
cococandy:

When you have kids you realize the importance of TRUSTED family members! grin.

OP by now you should be going to interview Crèches to see which is most suitable for your son. Also consider bringing in RESPONSIBLE and TRUSTED family members. Since her mom is going, you can bring your mom to help out. You try your best to rotate to the other once one gets tired and runs away. You try to settle them small for their work because it’s not easy taking care of these tiny humans. Even you now will appreciate their Crèche carers.
Re: Advice A New Father by baby124: 11:13pm On Mar 18, 2022
You can also get close family Nanny recommendations. This is a nanny that will come and go home. Especially when your mother is there because husband mothers, most of the time their shakara is too much. Like their son is baby Jesus grin. So your mum will watch the nanny.
Re: Advice A New Father by cococandy(f): 11:40pm On Mar 18, 2022
Trusted family is highly Underrated.

Someone you can have peace of mind when you leave your kids with. It’s definitely something to treasure.

OP should be taking them shopping, money, spa treatmentcheesy
baby124:

OP by now you should be going to interview Crèches to see which is most suitable for your son. Also consider bringing in RESPONSIBLE and TRUSTED family members. Since her mom is going, you can bring your mom to help out. You try your best to rotate to the other once one gets tired and runs away. You try to settle them small for their work because it’s not easy taking care of these tiny humans. Even you now will appreciate their Crèche carers.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice A New Father by Raalsalghul: 12:04am On Mar 19, 2022
Jennyclay:
1. Train up a child in the way of the lord; even when he is old he will not depart from it. proverbs 22:6

2. Don't give him the redpill to swallow except you want him to be constituting nuisance on every social media platform like GooodHardDick, Smellysperm, TheGidRedpiller and co, But rather give him the blue pill so that he can be romantic and wise.

3. Give him quality and moral education, also focus on his talent and help him build his talents.

4. Build a cordial relationship between you and your son. Don't instill fear in him.

Congratulations to you! I pray God provide for you to take good care of your family.

grin cheesy grin

Jennyclay, this your number two advice off me.

She say "don't give him the redpill".
Re: Advice A New Father by ImaIma1(f): 12:08am On Mar 19, 2022
Ephetar:
Hello wonderful Nairalanders... Please I'll need advise from experienced parents. God blessed my family two weeks ago with a wonderful baby. But here's my little challenge, the baby prefers sleeping all through the day and doesn't sleep for long at night waking us up every 2 hours or thereabout. My MIL said it's normal but this lack of sleep is affecting my work and my sharpness during the day... Please is there anyway we can change his sleep cycle and make him sleep more at night instead of during the day...We are new parents please...

He's too young to try sleep patterns. But as he grows older, he may change. If he doesn't, his sleep during the daytime should be controlled to allow him sleep longer at night.

2 Likes

Re: Advice A New Father by Mariangeles(f): 12:49am On Mar 19, 2022
Ephetar:

Yes o...I can change diaper and feed him...I want to learn how to bath him but Comrade no gree... grin grin grin

Little comrade sef know why. grin

He could get very slippery, so leave it to experienced. Abeg o!
Re: Advice A New Father by baby124: 1:11am On Mar 19, 2022
cococandy:

Someone you can have peace of mind when you leave your kids with. It’s definitely something to treasure.

Yes o. Better bribing o. So that they can be at your beck and call. That’s why it’s not good to go in with an aggressive and fighting stance cause you need these people these days, since help is no longer safe or reliable. Especially the mothers.
Re: Advice A New Father by GloriousGbola: 1:19am On Mar 19, 2022
It's the Buhariflation. If you can afford it go and buy two years worth of diapers right now.

Molfix is the most economical last time I checked. You may want to do same with baby food but check the expiration dates first.

There is nothing you can do about your baby's sleep cycle. Prepare for a year or more of this.

You can also consider cbeebies type baby videos down the line.

To this day teletubbies are great and safe for holding babies attention.

It is safer for the baby to sleep in a crib than in the bed with you and madam.

Zero your mind to no knacking for the next 9 to 12 months.
Re: Advice A New Father by Ephetar: 7:58am On Mar 19, 2022
baby124:

Thanks very much for this...But with the stories I'm hearing about crèche, I'm afraid it will be difficult for me to allow my son there... We're still looking at other options...Wifey had a previous side hustle...She might resign and concentrate on it since it gives her more time...we are still looking at some other options though...
Re: Advice A New Father by Ephetar: 7:59am On Mar 19, 2022
baby124:
You can also get close family Nanny recommendations. This is a nanny that will come and go home. Especially when your mother is there because husband mothers, most of the time their shakara is too much. Like their son is baby Jesus grin. So your mum will watch the nanny.

My mum is quite far away and she's a civil servant...she never retire... grin grin grin
Re: Advice A New Father by Ephetar: 7:59am On Mar 19, 2022
cococandy:

grin grin grin
Re: Advice A New Father by Ephetar: 8:00am On Mar 19, 2022
Mariangeles:

Little comrade sef know why. grin

He could get very slippery, so leave it to experienced. Abeg o!

Really? But I have watched the bath process so many times and I think it's something I can do... grin grin grin
Re: Advice A New Father by Ephetar: 8:03am On Mar 19, 2022
GloriousGbola:
It's the Buhariflation. If you can afford it go and buy two years worth of diapers right now.

Molfix is the most economical last time I checked. You may want to do same with baby food but check the expiration dates first.

There is nothing you can do about your baby's sleep cycle. Prepare for a year or more of this.

You can also consider cbeebies type baby videos down the line.

To this day teletubbies are great and safe for holding babies attention.

It is safer for the baby to sleep in a crib than in the bed with you and madam.

Zero your mind to no knacking for the next 9 to 12 months.

2 years diapers ke? God pass Buhari and his inflation...Lol
Re: Advice A New Father by Mariangeles(f): 8:32am On Mar 19, 2022
Ephetar:

Really? But I have watched the bath process so many times and I think it's something I can do... grin grin grin

It is not as easy as it seems. cheesy
Just wait a bit more.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Vote Of Thanks Ideas And Samples Pls. / I Found My Dad After 32 Years / Advice: What Will You Do In This Kind Of Circumstance?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.