Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,110 members, 7,811,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:50 AM

Hector Is 3 Years Old Today - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Hector Is 3 Years Old Today (939 Views)

The World’s oldest dog, Bobi, turns 31 years old today. / Jogging With Hector / My Pets Milo And Hector (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hector Is 3 Years Old Today by alphamodel1(m): 4:26pm On Mar 17, 2022
I got Hector (a German shepherd) when he was one month year old, at a point when I was very lonely in my life. He was going to be my first dog and I was saddled with the thought of how I was going to raise not just a dog but a friend. It was difficult picking him up even after I had paid for him, took me a month because I knew nothing about dogs. Raising Hector wasn’t easy, he was very picky with food, refused being locked up in his cage even up till date, you dare not lock him in, except he misbehaves. YouTube videos and only research materials became my new domaine, taught him basic commands, human socialization and potty training. All these activities built a strong bond between us, this I knew when I almost lost him to parvovirus, every call that came from home increased my heartbeat because I feared he had died. Hector is the only surviving dog of all his siblings, who sadly passed away in the hands of other owners. During the corona pandemic lockdown, we will jog together every morning, Hector is a runner. Hector is very clingy and will follow me every where I go as long as I’m not driving. He knows when I come back from work and will always wait by the gate, open the pedestrian part of the gate to welcome me, yes Hector opens my gate, I didn’t teach him that one, I only thought him the command “open the gate” when I figured out he could open the gate. Hector is very intelligent. I got married some months back and Hector has already figured out this is madam of the house and their bond is awesome. Hector is still a virgin, he refused to mate a bitch that was brought to him by his vet doctor. The only human he doesn’t like is his vet doctor, Dr Solomon. Maybe that explains why he refused but we’ve not tried again since then. However, Hector is very forgiving, irrespective of how I beat him in correction, the next few hours he is back to playing with me. He understands me like a child would understand his father. Happy birthday Hector, I love you.

4 Likes

Re: Hector Is 3 Years Old Today by kekakuz(m): 4:51pm On Mar 17, 2022
I am moving away from GSDs abeg. My last experience with Roger turned me off. You need to see how well behaved my Caucasian is and it did not even receive half the training my Roger my GSD got .

1 Like

Re: Hector Is 3 Years Old Today by illicit(m): 4:56pm On Mar 17, 2022
Can he bite?
Re: Hector Is 3 Years Old Today by alphamodel1(m): 5:03pm On Mar 17, 2022
kekakuz:
I am moving away from GSDs abeg. My last experience with Roger turned me off. You need to see how well behaved my Caucasian is and it did not even receive half the training my Roger my GSD got .
I’ve come to realize that just like a child, every dog is what you make of it. Some may learn faster than others but with the proper training, they will eventually learn. If I give Hector a command, he dare not, because he understands discipline, fear and love.
Re: Hector Is 3 Years Old Today by alphamodel1(m): 5:05pm On Mar 17, 2022
illicit:
Can he bite?
All dogs can bite, but knowing when to bite and not to is where proper training comes in.
Re: Hector Is 3 Years Old Today by kekakuz(m): 5:13pm On Mar 17, 2022
alphamodel1:

I’ve come to realize that just like a child, every dog is what you make of it. Some may learn faster than others but with the proper training, they will eventually learn. If I give Hector a command, he dare not, because he understands discipline, fear and love.
Well my GSD was also like that untill I introduced the cauc as a puppy. He got jealous and stopped obeying feeding Instructions. He would rush food and proceed to eat that of other dogs. Then attack the other dogs and steal their food then go to the waste bin and pick all the baby diaper and pads .he would take them all one by one I to his cage and eat.
I got frustrated as he became extremely stubborn.
I started hitting the dog. Not long after, I have it up for adoption.i was called last month that the Dog ran away and never came back.

3 Likes

Re: Hector Is 3 Years Old Today by alphamodel1(m): 5:45pm On Mar 17, 2022
kekakuz:

Well my GSD was also like that untill I introduced the cauc as a puppy. He got jealous and stopped obeying feeding Instructions. He would rush food and proceed to eat that of other dogs. Then attack the other dogs and steal their food then go to the waste bin and pick all the baby diaper and pads .he would take them all one by one I to his cage and eat.
I started hitting the dog. Not long after, I have it up for adoption.i was called last month that the Dog ran away and never came back.
Very sad tale of Roger, yeah I know dogs like humans can be very possessive and jealous, GSD loves undivided attention. I think you should have still exercised more patience with Roger, I read somewhere that in their teenage age they tend to be very stubborn, just like humans. Hector was like that too at a particular age, pooing where he knew he shouldn’t, I will hit him n still caution. I didn’t give up because I knew that age of stubbornness will come n go. Roger Maybe trying to come back home that is why he ran of from the new owner.
Re: Hector Is 3 Years Old Today by ebonyoyas(m): 8:17pm On Mar 17, 2022
Hector is such a fine dog
alphamodel1:
I got Hector (a German shepherd) when he was one month year old, at a point when I was very lonely in my life. He was going to be my first dog and I was saddled with the thought of how I was going to raise not just a dog but a friend. It was difficult picking him up even after I had paid for him, took me a month because I knew nothing about dogs. Raising Hector wasn’t easy, he was very picky with food, refused being locked up in his cage even up till date, you dare not lock him in, except he misbehaves. YouTube videos and only research materials became my new domaine, taught him basic commands, human socialization and potty training. All these activities built a strong bond between us, this I knew when I almost lost him to parvovirus, every call that came from home increased my heartbeat because I feared he had died. Hector is the only surviving dog of all his siblings, who sadly passed away in the hands of other owners. During the corona pandemic lockdown, we will jog together every morning, Hector is a runner. Hector is very clingy and will follow me every where I go as long as I’m not driving. He knows when I come back from work and will always wait by the gate, open the pedestrian part of the gate to welcome me, yes Hector opens my gate, I didn’t teach him that one, I only thought him the command “open the gate” when I figured out he could open the gate. Hector is very intelligent. I got married some months back and Hector has already figured out this is madam of the house and their bond is awesome. Hector is still a virgin, he refused to mate a bitch that was brought to him by his vet doctor. The only human he doesn’t like is his vet doctor, Dr Solomon. Maybe that explains why he refused but we’ve not tried again since then. However, Hector is very forgiving, irrespective of how I beat him in correction, the next few hours he is back to playing with me. He understands me like a child would understand his father. Happy birthday Hector, I love you.

1 Like

Re: Hector Is 3 Years Old Today by alphamodel1(m): 9:46pm On Mar 17, 2022
ebonyoyas:
Hector is such a fine dog
Thanks �

2 Likes

Re: Hector Is 3 Years Old Today by Teymanhenry(f): 3:54pm On Mar 19, 2022
kekakuz:

He did that because he felt you are starting to share the love with some other puppy. The fact that he didn't kill the caucasian puppy is a sign he would have come to his typical good demeanor. What he desired was more attention and show him his position isn't endangered species
Re: Hector Is 3 Years Old Today by youngrichnigga: 8:55am On May 12, 2023
Is it 31 dog years or 31 calendar years undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Hector Is 3 Years Old Today by youngrichnigga: 8:56am On May 12, 2023
Is it 3 dog years or 3 calendar years undecided undecided undecided undecided

(1) (Reply)

What Breed Is My Dog / 6 Ways To Help Animals Survive This Winter / 10 Things You Need Know Before Getting Dog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.