Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,902 members, 7,817,674 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:58 PM

IELTS: UK Home Office Responds To Call To Exempt Nigerians From Proficiency Test - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / IELTS: UK Home Office Responds To Call To Exempt Nigerians From Proficiency Test (2138 Views)

Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. / Covenant University Officially Responds To Transcript Controversy / At Last, FG Agrees To Exempt ASUU From IPPIS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

IELTS: UK Home Office Responds To Call To Exempt Nigerians From Proficiency Test by Shehuyinka: 11:31am On Mar 18, 2022
ONE month after Policy Shapers, a policy advocacy group, sent a data-driven report to the UK Home Office to exempt Nigerian citizens from taking the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) tests, the Home office has replied via an “automatic” email.

The UK Home Office responded to a 15-page policy brief by Ebenezar Wikina, founder of Policy Shapers, who demanded that the Home Office add Nigeria to its list of countries exempted from taking IELTS.

“Thank you for contacting the Simplification Of the Rules Taskforce, SORT. Please note that this inbox is for the administration and secretariat of the Simplification Of the Rules Committee only.

However, the UK Home Office had replied to the group’s enquiries about reforming its IELTS policy for Nigerians with the same email address on January 26, and October last year.

Foreign universities demand the IELTS as a requirement for admitting international students, with IELTS application fees being expensive and more than double the minimum wage in Nigeria at an average of N90,000.

In January, the Home Office said there was no public evidence to prove that Nigeria had over 50 per cent speakers of the English Language to be included in its Majority English Speaking Country (MESC) list.

“To be included on the Majority English Speaking Country (MESC) list, we must have evidence that most people in the country (more than half) speak English as a first language,” the UK Home Office said.

The UK Home Office does not officially recognise 27 Anglophone countries in Africa as English speaking countries.

Using the hashtag #ReformIELTSPolicy, a petition initiated by the group in January and addressed to Secretary of the UK Home Office Priti Patel has garnered over 72,000 signatures.

READ MORE HERE: https://www.icirnigeria.org/ielts-uk-home-office-responds-to-call-to-exempt-nigerians-from-proficiency-test/

1 Share

Re: IELTS: UK Home Office Responds To Call To Exempt Nigerians From Proficiency Test by sehin79(m): 2:32pm On Mar 18, 2022
In January, the Home Office said there was no public evidence to prove that Nigeria had over 50 per cent speakers of the English Language to be included in its Majority English Speaking Country (MESC) list.

that is an interesting fact ... most graduate can not even comprehend or understand English language...

2 Likes

Re: IELTS: UK Home Office Responds To Call To Exempt Nigerians From Proficiency Test by LordIsaac(m): 3:06pm On Mar 18, 2022
And, very unfortunate it is indeed considering that all require at least, a C in English Language, to enter our tertiary institutions.
Re: IELTS: UK Home Office Responds To Call To Exempt Nigerians From Proficiency Test by Legalservices: 3:11pm On Mar 18, 2022
sehin79:

that is an interesting fact ... most graduate can not even comprehend or understand English language...

That’s just a moronic response. In what language did the UK colonize Nigeria? What was the adminstrative language used? What language of teaching is used from our primary to tertiary institutions? A Nobel laureate in English literature from Nigeria globally recognize couldn’t have mastered English language in Senegal!!! Crazy fellows

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: IELTS: UK Home Office Responds To Call To Exempt Nigerians From Proficiency Test by 1Sharon(f): 4:24pm On Mar 18, 2022
I thought Nigerians love to say English is not a test of intelligence and fluency doesn't matter.

So why are they hung up on abolishing IELTS? Hypocrites.

Most Nigerians speak TERRIBLE English.

They need IELTS!

Nonsense!
Re: IELTS: UK Home Office Responds To Call To Exempt Nigerians From Proficiency Test by Conner44: 6:28pm On Mar 18, 2022
Imagine someone who claims he/she completed primary school and even went ahead to write waec coming here to be writing unsightly sentences for us to read like, "am coming, am eating, am going, am hungry, am this, am that, am, am, am" ahn-ahn. Just to put a single 'i' in front of 'am' is an issue. The only time they get it right is when they want to show off and slay on insta and fb, that time you will see them write "AM I looking pretty with this hair ?"

in fact, nigerians that wish to migrate to the uk MUST write ielts till thy kingdom come. The brits that gave us that language know what they are doing.

1 Like

Re: IELTS: UK Home Office Responds To Call To Exempt Nigerians From Proficiency Test by sunnedee2: 7:10pm On Mar 18, 2022
1Sharon:
I thought Nigerians love to say English is not a test of intelligence and fluency doesn't matter.

They need IELTS!

Nonsense!
English is NOT a test of intelligence.
And fluency only shows your understanding of any language whether you are intelligent or not.
You can be fluent in English and still be an ass.
We can argue from now till tomorrow but only real data matters.
Bring 50% of Nigerian. Bring 50% of Britons. All things being equal. Let them all write IELTS.
Lets see who sabi English pass.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: IELTS: UK Home Office Responds To Call To Exempt Nigerians From Proficiency Test by 1Sharon(f): 7:48pm On Mar 18, 2022
sunnedee2:

English is NOT a test of intelligence.
And fluency only shows your understanding of any language whether you are intelligent or not.
You can be fluent in English and still be an ass.
We can argue from now till tomorrow but only real data matters.
Bring 50% of Nigerian. Bring 50% of Britons. All things being equal. Let them all write IELTS.
Lets see who sabi English pass.

Abeg go and tell all of that to IELTS.

Shebi Nigerians state English language doesn't matter as it's the language from the colonizers.

If that's the case why Una dey figh tooth and nail to abolish IELTS?

After claiming English language is not a Nigerian language and doesn't matter for anything, you now want to prove to IELTS that you're more English that the English grin
Re: IELTS: UK Home Office Responds To Call To Exempt Nigerians From Proficiency Test by afrylance1: 8:01pm On Mar 18, 2022
I can see their argument tho.
It’s easy to forget that most Nigerians don’t go through the same education path. If you’re from the south then it looks like the IELTS exam is a waste of time as everyone you know probably speaks and writes in English at varying skill levels. However, the same can’t be said in the north where they’re more likely to speak their native tongue. Moreover, as every election has shown us, the North surpass the South in population so if they bring 50% of “Nigerians” how many true English speakers do you thing will be included?
Re: IELTS: UK Home Office Responds To Call To Exempt Nigerians From Proficiency Test by olas24u(f): 8:54pm On Mar 18, 2022
Legalservices:

That’s just a moronic response. In what language did the UK colonize Nigeria? What was the adminstrative language used? What language of teaching is used from our primary to tertiary institutions? A Nobel laureate in English literature from Nigeria globally recognize couldn’t have mastered English language in Senegal!!! Crazy fellows
And there are more english speakers in nigeria than the whole of the united kingdom including more christains than the colonial master.
Re: IELTS: UK Home Office Responds To Call To Exempt Nigerians From Proficiency Test by kumulus(m): 10:04pm On Mar 18, 2022
In simpler terms; eradicate your native languages to enjoy more privileges.

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: IELTS: UK Home Office Responds To Call To Exempt Nigerians From Proficiency Test by ShenTeh(m): 11:57pm On Mar 18, 2022
I said it elsewhere, let's glorify one of our languages and adopt it as our lingua franca. We have the capacity and the population (home and abroad) to drive it.

You go see as Britain go begin worry

2 Likes

Re: IELTS: UK Home Office Responds To Call To Exempt Nigerians From Proficiency Test by Nobody: 4:11am On Mar 19, 2022
1Sharon:

They need IELTS!

Nonsense!

The fact that IELTS is only valid for 2 years is what makes it exploitative.

I speak German and French and I have written several proficiency exams, so I can tell you that NONE of their language proficiency exams has a validity period like IELTS, they're valid for life! So why does it have to be different for English or are we going to forget the English we speak daily in 2 year's time?

It's more of a business venture dear... Don't blame those who are complaining, they have a valid point.

1 Like

Re: IELTS: UK Home Office Responds To Call To Exempt Nigerians From Proficiency Test by beautyhd: 5:07am On Mar 19, 2022
1Sharon:

They need IELTS!

Nonsense!

How much do they charge for the test in Nigeria?

Answer and tell how many Nigerians that can easily afford that.

….and the yeye ielts expires after two years.
They know they can’t afford to loose all they are getting from Nigeria, hence the stupid reply.

1 Like

Re: IELTS: UK Home Office Responds To Call To Exempt Nigerians From Proficiency Test by pixey(m): 10:21am On Mar 19, 2022
1Sharon:

They need IELTS!

Nonsense!
Then they should reduce the ridiculous fee and make it a one time thing like the French .As simple as that but it is not that simple I guess because of the cashout.The British will always find an excuse to exploit.Hypocritical nation!
Re: IELTS: UK Home Office Responds To Call To Exempt Nigerians From Proficiency Test by 1Sharon(f): 12:41pm On Mar 19, 2022
Loewe:

The fact that IELTS is only valid for 2 years is what makes it exploitative.

I speak German and French and I have written several proficiency exams, so I can tell you that NONE of their language proficiency exams has a validity period like IELTS, they're valid for life! So why does it have to be different for English or are we going to forget the English we speak daily in 2 year's time?

It's more of a business venture dear... Don't blame those who are complaining, they have a valid point.

The people that complained didn't complain about the cost. Their grievance is that they feel insulted because Nigerians need to do the test in the first place.
Re: IELTS: UK Home Office Responds To Call To Exempt Nigerians From Proficiency Test by 1Sharon(f): 12:42pm On Mar 19, 2022
beautyhd:

How much do they charge for the test in Nigeria?

Answer and tell how many Nigerians that can easily afford that.

….and the yeye ielts expires after two years.
They know they can’t afford to loose all they are getting from Nigeria, hence the stupid reply.

I don't know or agree with the cost.

All I know is that Nigerians need it.
Re: IELTS: UK Home Office Responds To Call To Exempt Nigerians From Proficiency Test by Nobody: 12:46pm On Mar 19, 2022
1Sharon:

The people that complained didn't complain about the cost. Their grievance is that they feel insulted because Nigerians need to do the test in the first place.

What I wrote up there wasn't even about the cost, it was about the duration of validity, thus making it necessary to write it again at another point in the future... It's exploitative my dear!
Re: IELTS: UK Home Office Responds To Call To Exempt Nigerians From Proficiency Test by sunnedee2: 5:30pm On Mar 30, 2022
1Sharon:

Abeg go and tell all of that to IELTS.

Shebi Nigerians state English language doesn't matter as it's the language from the colonizers.

If that's the case why Una dey figh tooth and nail to abolish IELTS?

After claiming English language is not a Nigerian language and doesn't matter for anything, you now want to prove to IELTS that you're more English that the English grin

Yimu.
Me? fighting tooth and nail to abolish IELTS?
Let me join you in laughing. grin grin
Re: IELTS: UK Home Office Responds To Call To Exempt Nigerians From Proficiency Test by 1Sharon(f): 5:30pm On Apr 03, 2022
sunnedee2:

Yimu.
Me? fighting tooth and nail to abolish IELTS?
Let me join you in laughing. grin grin

Shebi English language is not a test of intelligence and not the language of our forefathers.

So why now argue to prove to the English that Nigerians are more English than them?
Re: IELTS: UK Home Office Responds To Call To Exempt Nigerians From Proficiency Test by sunnedee2: 1:08pm On Apr 04, 2022
1Sharon:

Shebi English language is not a test of intelligence and not the language of our forefathers.

So why now argue to prove to the English that Nigerians are more English than them?

Babes, I no get power.
You win.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Abia State Polytechnic Aba Post Ume 2010/11 Scratch Card Is Out / BREAKING: President Jonathan Bows To OAU Students' Union Threat / IMSU 2016/2017 Post UTME Screening Date Officially Announced

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.