Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,404 members, 7,812,189 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:48 AM

Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? (3430 Views)

You've Been Charging Your Phone Wrong, See This / Things You Should Never Do While Charging Your Smartphone / We've Been Charging Our Smartphones Wrong All This Time. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by atheistandproud(m): 8:07pm On Mar 19, 2022
This video goes in depth to explain the process by which smartphones charge, as well as how to take advantage of it to charge your phone correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rGWMb1XkdA

Charging your battery correctly will ensure that it lasts longer for you. It'll also help you avoid swelling and explosions.

Like and subscribe for more content.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by DeathToAfonja: 4:47am On Mar 20, 2022
Is it possible to charge phone wrongly

Abi u like talk

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by atheistandproud(m): 7:34am On Mar 20, 2022
DeathToAfonja:
Is it possible to charge phone wrongly

Abi u like talk

abi you like talk

Fortunately for me, I won't waste the talk on you. Good day.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by Winningbot: 7:38am On Mar 20, 2022
How person wan charge phone wrongly

3 Likes

Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by atheistandproud(m): 7:42am On Mar 20, 2022
Winningbot:
How person wan charge phone wrongly

Why do you think batteries swell after some time?
Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by Winningbot: 7:57am On Mar 20, 2022
atheistandproud:

Why do you think batteries swell after some time?
it could be the condition you placed it.

I remember my canon x pro then, when it spoilt, I just dropped the phone inside my locker for months only for me to pick it up later and discovered that the battery has swollen

1 Like

Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by atheistandproud(m): 8:05am On Mar 20, 2022
Winningbot:
it could be the condition you placed it.

I remember my canon x pro then, when it spoilt, I just dropped the phone inside my locker for months only for me to pick it up later and discovered that the battery has swollen

My people suffer for lack of knowledge.

One reason why it's hard to educate Nigerians on the subject of batteries, is because everyone thinks that they're an expert.

One question, do you know how lithium ion batteries work?

To answer your Camon question. All the electrons (current) in the battery moved to one side, the cathode side, causing that part of the battery to expand. Hence the swelling.

6 Likes

Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by jboixxx: 8:56am On Mar 20, 2022
atheistandproud:
This video goes in depth to explain the process by which smartphones charge, as well as how to take advantage of it to charge your phone correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rGWMb1XkdA

Charging your battery correctly will ensure that it lasts longer for you. It'll also help you avoid swelling and explosions.

Like and subscribe for more content.
Good morning, baba. Keep up the good work.
What's your take on "battery recalibration"? They say, once in awhile, let your battery dies and charge to 100. Good or bad?

2. Like ROMOSS powerbanks, for the first time charging, it's advised that users exhaust the battery power and then charge to 100 without any form of interruption (as in user manual). Do you mind explaining more on this and does the 20-80% charging applies to powerbanks too?

Thanks baba.

1 Like

Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by atheistandproud(m): 9:33am On Mar 20, 2022
jboixxx:
What's your take on "battery recalibration"? They say, once in awhile, let your battery dies and charge to 100. Good or bad?

2. Like ROMOSS powerbanks, for the first time charging, it's advised that users exhaust the battery power and then charge to 100 without any form of interruption (as in user manual). Do you mind explaining more on this and does the 20-80% charging applies to powerbanks too?

Thanks baba.

1. Once in a while or if the battery is out of sync with the software is very much needed. It'll help the battery work better.

2. Usually those things have been in storage for a while. We never really knew how long. We can only estimate via production date which can easily be falsified.

With that being said, their storage conditions could also have effects on the battery, either too hot in a place like India or too cold in a place like Europe.

So I guess that's why draining could help reset the battery meter on the power bank so that the IC can correctly monitor the amount of charge.

I am theorizing that it could very well be a good reason why.

3. Modern powerbanks use Lithium batteries and as such, all lithium ion batteries behave the same way. Battery cycles and all. I believe you've seen the articles I've put out about batteries boss.

So yes, the 20-80% rule applies. I have had my Mi 2C and Romoss Sense 8+ for nearly 3 years now. The principle does work. My RN9 Pro is almost 2 years old and the battery still gives me 8 hours SoT on heavy use.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by erobes: 10:00am On Mar 20, 2022
Nice article boss.
How long can a phone,that is switched off, stay before the battery starts deteriorating or possibly get swollen? What do u advise one should do to avoid this from happening?
Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by atheistandproud(m): 12:03pm On Mar 20, 2022
erobes:
Nice article boss.
How long can a phone,that is switched off, stay before the battery starts deteriorating or possibly get swollen? What do u advise one should do to avoid this from happening?

The most commonly accepted advice is to leave the battery at around 50% if you're going to be storing it for a while.

This is the most stable positions for the current to be in so that there's less pull on the battery to discharge.

This should keep it safe for around a 6 months to a year. During this period, it's going to discharge slowly. Anything more than 6 months to a year (depending on the quality of the product) and swelling will set in.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by erobes: 12:15pm On Mar 20, 2022
atheistandproud:

The most commonly accepted advice is to leave the battery at around 50% if you're going to be storing it for a while.

This is the most stable positions for the current to be in so that there's less pull on the battery to discharge.

This should keep it safe for around a 6 months to a year. During this period, it's going to discharge slowly. Anything more than 6 months to a year (depending on the quality of the product) and swelling will set in.

Noted
Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by 3exe3: 1:03pm On Mar 20, 2022
This should be on front page

Cc: lalasticala
Cc:seun
Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by Springboot: 1:32pm On Mar 20, 2022
jboixxx:

Thanks baba.

Except you're using a phone of 10 years ago or one of those China knockoffs, you don't need to worry about how you charge your phone in 2022, there are dedicated charging circuits onboard to handle that and ensure you don't damage your battery.

1 Like

Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by majamajic(m): 2:05pm On Mar 20, 2022
atheistandproud:

My people suffer for lack of knowledge.

One reason why it's hard to educate Nigerians on the subject of batteries, is because everyone thinks that they're an expert.

One question, do you know how lithium ion batteries work?

To answer your Camon question. All the electrons (current) in the battery moved to one side, the cathode side, causing that part of the battery to expand. Hence the swelling.

Simply tell them to watch the video , that's all u want ?
Instead u for write here , abi ?
They should watch your video , simple !

1 Like

Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by Freelancerx: 2:41pm On Mar 20, 2022
majamajic:

chill grin
Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by Freelancerx: 2:41pm On Mar 20, 2022
Thank you for this

1 Like

Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by Kunja2: 3:16pm On Mar 20, 2022
I guess we have. Thanks for this post

1 Like

Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by qekng40(f): 3:24pm On Mar 20, 2022
Yes.

Any battery wer swell na fake cool
Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by atheistandproud(m): 3:28pm On Mar 20, 2022
majamajic:

Lol grin grin grin
Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by atheistandproud(m): 3:29pm On Mar 20, 2022
Freelancerx:
Thank you for this

You're welcome boss
Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by atheistandproud(m): 3:29pm On Mar 20, 2022
Kunja2:
I guess we have. Thanks for this post

You're welcome
Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by AREWAELENU: 4:32pm On Mar 20, 2022
Always on point

Thanks for the info

1 Like

Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by Ekoblendedsince: 7:04pm On Mar 20, 2022
Charging your phone while using it is wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Mar 20, 2022
Springboot:

Except you're using a phone of 10 years ago or one of those China knockoffs, you don't need to worry about how you charge your phone in 2022, there are dedicated charging circuits onboard to handle that and ensure you don't damage your battery.
simple as A B D
Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by scarycuteface(m): 7:37am On Mar 21, 2022
With this post I can say I have not been charging my phone wrongly
Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by investigator007: 8:28am On Mar 21, 2022
Nice post, really good to know
Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by tayo60(f): 6:46pm On Mar 21, 2022
Good one Op. Thumbs up!
Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by Benjaniblinks(m): 6:38am On Mar 22, 2022
atheistandproud:

abi you like talk

Fortunately for me, I won't waste the talk on you. Good day.
Boss, you no get the paper version cry
Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by chickenfoot: 7:57am On Mar 22, 2022
Nice read, very informative
Re: Have You Been Charging Your Phone Wrongly? by chickenfoot: 7:57am On Mar 22, 2022
Ekoblendedsince:
Charging your phone while using it is wrong.
very wrong and dangerous sef

(1) (2) (Reply)

Best Text To Speech Apps For Android / Latest Android N Features Users Should Be Crazy About / TECNO PHANTOM 8 UNBOXING AND FIRST IMPRESSION

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.