Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,637 members, 7,809,392 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:46 AM

How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming (6986 Views)

How Can I Set Up Poly Bag Factory / How Do I Set Up A Rice Milling Plant? / How Can I Set Up A Quarry Industry In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by Abbey4life: 4:52pm On Jul 01, 2011
I recently acquire about 10acres of land in suburb area of ibadan purely for big time agricultural purposes (crop prod and animal rearing) I would welcome a constructive idea of what I need to do first, what to follow and so on as I am a total novice in farm set up and mgt. Pls this is necessary as I intend to retire to this business in a near future. If you know name and no of anybody who could help in d layout and setting up of the farm pls do reply.
Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by vickynet39(m): 5:28pm On Jul 01, 2011
Contact me on 08037602631
Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by oolumide: 9:28pm On Jul 01, 2011
10 acre is notin ooo my broter for commercial farmin, talk of hectares
Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by Abbey4life: 9:57pm On Jul 01, 2011
Really? Well I tot I hav gotten enough with the 60 plots, anyway, that's what I have for now and I think I should start somewhere. What do u think?
Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by oolumide: 9:22am On Jul 02, 2011
Yeah start with it i always advise people start small and grow. Have u decided on what to do there, the earlier u start d better.
Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by oolumide: 9:29am On Jul 02, 2011
Infract I will like to speak with u, call me on 07025001118, I am not a consultant, so I wont charge for anything. I genuinely enjoy sharing with those interested on this particular topic
Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by monopolist: 12:27pm On Jul 18, 2011
My Team and I manage a Plantation in Oke-Odan before Idiroko, Ogun State and we shall be glad to help you and your Family establish and manage your 4 Hectares (10Acres) till December 2016.

For details of plantation plans, stage-wise investment and farm management fee contact me now:

kingolusola@gmail.com

Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by dejia(m): 11:24am On Aug 20, 2011
I think the essence of this platform is to share ideas, i will recommend pple shd share there ideas and not put there phone numbers and e.mail addy for them to be contacted.

@Abbeylife, am also looking into commercial farming in Kwara, am starting up with just 1 acre of land for test farming and then grow from there

am looking at starting with a piggery, because from my analysis its very profitable, a pig can give birth twice a year and can give u about 15 per birth, and u can sell a pig of 7 months with about 80kilos for as much as 20k.

Am also looking at planting Red Pepper, and tomato, i got an hybrid seed from SA, which can grow and give fruits almost all year round if the temperature is well controlled.

Am still doing alot of reading and research, but i think i will start this those things, and then grow it from there.

i personally feel too many pple are into poultry, and i have seen pple with bad experience in poultry; fishery, its seems every retired civil servant has a fishery, i will rather focus on something that alot of pple havent done yet and target the niche market.

guys, with experience in farming pls. share ideas ,let us all go back to where we started from, lets go back to farming,

1 Like

Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by EuroMeko(m): 8:15pm On Aug 22, 2011
Hi Abbey, I'm trying to source land also int the suburb of Ibadan. What prices did you see?
Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by Abbey4life: 8:30pm On Aug 22, 2011
I bought for 250k per acre somewhere around ologuneru eleyele
Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by EuroMeko(m): 2:19am On Aug 23, 2011
Hey Abbey, thanks for your prompt response.

Can you put me in touch with your Realtor so I can make further inquiries?

My email is in my profile in case you prefer to email.

PS: Ten acres is good enough to start with, bravo. Reserve your funds for operating costs. Once you start producing and get a healthy sales outlet then you can start farming in hectares.
Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by oolumide: 9:11pm On Aug 29, 2011
Hello abbey,
I am happy with the progress you are making. But do not be deceived farming is more rewarding when u form groups to share experience. That is y I prefer group meetings where it more interactive. Always remember that management of input cost is one of the. Key responsibility of a farmer.
your land is costly at 250. I got my land not too far from LAGOS at 100k per acre with electricity and tarred road up to d land. I am presently into piggery. And cattle farming. I still insist u call me I wont charge u nothing but give u candid advice
Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by EuroMeko(m): 9:50pm On Aug 29, 2011
Can you share details of how you were able to get land that cheap?
Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by oolumide: 10:42am On Aug 30, 2011
Euro
A whole lot of what I got to do where gathered from talking with people, I kept talking to anybody that cares to listen about my project without fear of someone stealing my ideas. Abbey started well by makingenwuiroes. But one on one gives a lot info than cyber discussion cos people tend to give more info when they talk. I will suggest we all gather together and share info and compare notes. I am not a consultant but I have network of people we work together . Whatever info i also give to you will be at no charge but borne of desire to see others doing well. shocked
Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by fishmanjoe: 2:27pm On Aug 30, 2011
send your email address, we are consultants farmers specializing in animal rearing and crop plantaion i will send you a full details
Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by EuroMeko(m): 7:52pm On Aug 30, 2011
OOlumide, I understand where you are coming from but I don't want to waste anyone's time.

I really just need to know how to find cheap land near Ibadan. The other discussions will come later when I am on the ground on a semi permanent basis.

If you have the name of a good Realtor please share it.
Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by george31(m): 12:30am On Sep 05, 2011
300 acres of farmland @ Wasimi, along Abeokuta Express Road(going from Iyana-paja), this land has close proximity to Ewekoro cement factory.

Price: 1million per acre

Title: Family Receipt and Survey.

Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by nsodo: 6:20am On Sep 05, 2011
Commercial farming is easy but before that you must know what you want to deal in first before you come on the management part of it. If it is poultry for example them you look for poultry expert because there allover Nigeria but first look in to you're self and find out what you personally want to deal in.
Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by tinnymerit(m): 6:06pm On Sep 09, 2011
o love this post,@ poster you are good with 60 plots.there are still some acres at 130k in ibadan good for farming and future sale or small estate.i will advice on banana plantation,with banana u will be making nothing less than 30k/day after 2yrs because its a biennial crop.also consider turkey before a year with 50 of them you will have nothing less than 200.mind u,hatching of their eggs is abt #50 but selling of an egg is aroung #350.goodluck at poster.want to make enquiries visit NIHORT around eleyele,i think its free.
Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by EuroMeko(m): 6:17pm On Sep 09, 2011
tinnymerit:

o love this post,@ poster you are good with 60 plots[b].there are still some acres at 130k in ibadan [/b]good for farming and future sale or small estate.i will advice on banana plantation,with banana u will be making nothing less than 30k/day after 2yrs because its a biennial crop.also consider turkey before a year with 50 of them you will have nothing less than 200.mind u,hatching of their eggs is abt #50 but selling of an egg is aroung #350.goodluck at poster.want to make enquiries visit NIHORT around eleyele,i think its free.

Do you have contact info for this?
Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by Abbey4life: 9:27pm On Sep 09, 2011
@tinnymerit, many thanks for the info especially on the banana stuff. I'm seriously considering that really (plantain actually) and shall be visiting IITA ibadan during my annual leave for full gist of how to make this work. Thanks all d same on the turkey issue, it shall surely be considered
Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by santuse: 1:30pm On Sep 10, 2011
Its a very good idea you have I run a fish farm and I think I can help if you want. send me a text or call to 08026815456
Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by Abbey4life: 2:52pm On Sep 10, 2011
Did anybody in the house have a knowledge of the viability of palm tree plantation. A friend just advised on planting the agric type and it begins to bear fruit within 3 1/2 yrs old. Is dis correct?
Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by tinnymerit(m): 8:38pm On Sep 11, 2011
@, meko,no i dont av any manual or material for this but just felt i shd help out.with banana,a banana is #50 naira per one.
Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by hajifaty: 3:12pm On Sep 12, 2011
I am also thinking of going into commercial farming but don't know much about it and how to start. Maybe it will be nice if I can talk to some Chinese farmers here for some advice and how to get seeds. I like the way commercial farming are done here. Please you guys can share more info with us here.
Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by EuroMeko(m): 3:49am On Sep 13, 2011
tinnymerit:

@, meko,no i dont av any manual or material for this but just felt i shd help out.with banana,a banana is #50 naira per one.

Tinny, I am asking about the land. I want to know how to get cheap land in Ibadan like you did.
Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by Ideraolu: 11:03pm On Oct 27, 2011
oolumide:

Hello abbey,
I am happy with the progress you are making. But do not be deceived farming is more rewarding when u form groups to share experience. That is y I prefer group meetings where it more interactive. Always remember that management of input cost is one of the. Key responsibility of a farmer.
your land is costly at 250. I got my land not too far from LAGOS at 100k per acre with electricity and tarred road up to d land. I am presently into piggery. And cattle farming. I still insist u call me I wont charge u nothing but give u candid advice

Hope you are keeping well, Just a quick reminder in respect of getting the contact we discussed.

Tnx,

'Gboyega (gboyegaonabanjo@yahoo.com)
Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by Thethy(m): 5:12am On Oct 29, 2011
You can also consider grasscutter farming,it can be integrated with maize and cassava farming.Call: THE THY SNAIL & GRASSCUTTER FARMS, Tel:  08023050835 , 07033632285.

Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by babaijesha: 1:58pm On Oct 31, 2011
Abbey4life:

I recently acquire about 10acres of land in suburb area of ibadan purely for big time agricultural purposes (crop prod and animal rearing) I would welcome a constructive idea of what I need to do first, what to follow and so on as I am a total novice in farm set up and mgt. Pls this is necessary as I intend to retire to this business in a near future. If you know name and no of anybody who could help in d layout and setting up of the farm pls do reply.

Good Step forward. However, u need to trace your steps backwards;

1. U need to know what you want to do with the big parcel of land first
2. Need to brush up your knowledge on crop production and animal rearing, your area of interest.
3. U can start with the internet and read wide on the subjects;
4. U can brush up these knowledge with seminars from known resource centre in your local environs, I used to read one in Tribune, Wealth creation thru Agric life, i think they also run a consulting arm and can introduce you to successful farms around for practicals.
5. Then u can draw up a feasibility study on your area of interest or get someone to do this for you; this will guide the choice of location of farm; closeness to mkt and other important criteria.
Here, you can bring in a little help from a trusted consulting arm or get someone that is been successful in your area of endeavor to guide U.
Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by monopolist: 11:58am On Nov 01, 2011
The Company you keep determines your Accomplishment

Accompany us for a UNIVERSAL AGRICULTURAL RESTORATION

JESUS CHRIST IS KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS

kingolusola@gmail.com
Re: How Do I Set Up A Commercial Farming by Fhemmmy: 3:36pm On Nov 01, 2011
^^^ Well said and Amen

(1) (Reply)

How To Block Your Bank Account And SIM Card In Case Of Emergency / FG Appoints Transaction Advisers For $6.2 Bilion Eurobond Issuance / Naira Closes Higher At N363 To A Dollar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.