Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,381 members, 7,819,383 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:18 PM

Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos (8397 Views)

Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won’t Be Registered – Lagos / Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won’t Be Registered – Lagos / Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by aloyemeka2: 1:53am On Jul 02, 2011
Friday, July 1, 2011
[size=14pt]Vehicles from unauthorised dealers won't be registered - Lagos[/size]

Sesan Olufowobi

The Lagos State Government on Thursday said that vehicles brought into the state through illegal routes and those bought from individuals would henceforth not be registered in the state.

advertisement

The government said that a tripartite arrangement in the state only allowed individuals to sell their vehicles to members of the public through registered motor vehicle dealers.

It added that any vehicle sold outside this arrangement would not be issued the change of ownership title at the Motor Licensing Offices.

The Permanent Secretary of Motor Vehicle Administration Agency Mr. Akin Hanson, who made the government position known to journalists, said only vehicles bought from registered auto dealers would henceforth be attended to.

"Unregistered individuals willing to sell either registered or fairly used imported vehicle to go through registered dealers as direct sales transaction is unlawful in the state," he said.

Hanson also expressed dismay over what he called 'indiscriminate' display of vehicles for sale in the state, adding that the agency would soon begin a crackdown on defaulters.

The Permanent Secretary said that the way individuals and auto dealers displayed vehicles for sale at unregistered premises was becoming worrisome.

He observed that the act negated the law regulating the activities of motor vehicle and spare parts dealers in the state.

Hanson pointed accusing fingers at fuel stations and eateries, which he accused of allowing such display in their premises, describing them as chief culprits.

He said, "There are some individual who used roadsides and kerbs to display vehicles illegally. This attitude constitutes a nuisance to the environment, impedes the movement of pedestrians and free flow of the traffic.

"Before we act, we will embark on a campaign to enlighten the dealers on the law regulating sales of motor vehicle and spare parts in the state, which we have been discussing at our regular stakeholders' meetings. It would be a sheer pretence for any auto or spare part dealer to feign ignorance of the law regulating the business."

The Permanent Secretary warned the auto dealers not to take the 'humane' approach of the government in enforcing the law regulating auto business for granted and warned that the government had the capacity to enforce the law to the letter.

He said that the agency would soon publish names of defaulting dealers in the national dailies and then go ahead to prosecute them.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20110701174059
Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by TCD: 2:59am On Jul 02, 2011
How does the average man displaying "For Sale" on a car in his compound affect the government?
Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by Nobody: 3:06am On Jul 02, 2011
TCD:

How does the average man displaying "For Sale" on a car in his compound affect the government?
revenue for government is my guess.
Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by bfire(m): 3:12am On Jul 02, 2011
Why would anyone bringing their personal car(s) into the country go through a registered dealer?

If the tax/dues of auto dealers is not getting to the government, there are other ways to get this sorted rather than advocating or using the instrument/power of the government to oppressing the citizens of Lagos.

There are other states that are positioned to register these cars.

There's no law that ban other states registered vehicles from plying Lagos roads.

In my own opinion, this is a very dump idea!
Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by darella(m): 3:15am On Jul 02, 2011
All these will make the overall cost more so to buy a vehicle, you pay for the vehicle and then the auto dealer
Na wa oooo
Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by prince0(m): 3:45am On Jul 02, 2011
We must together as citizens fight all these despotic and authoritarian actions of our leaders. they are negating the principle of social contract, they just wake up and say whatever they like without public opinion. very bad
Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by bfire(m): 4:00am On Jul 02, 2011
aloy-emeka:

Friday, July 1, 2011
[size=14pt]Vehicles from unauthorised dealers won't be registered - Lagos[/size]

Sesan Olufowobi

The Lagos State Government on Thursday said that vehicles brought into the state through illegal routes and those bought from individuals would henceforth not be registered in the state.

advertisement

The government said that a tripartite arrangement in the state only allowed individuals to sell their vehicles to members of the public through registered motor vehicle dealers.

It added that any vehicle sold outside this arrangement would not be issued the change of ownership title at the Motor Licensing Offices.

The Permanent Secretary of Motor Vehicle Administration Agency Mr. Akin Hanson, who made the government position known to journalists, said only vehicles bought from registered auto dealers would henceforth be attended to.

"Unregistered individuals willing to sell either registered or fairly used imported vehicle to go through registered dealers as direct sales transaction is unlawful in the state," he said.

Hanson also expressed dismay over what he called 'indiscriminate' display of vehicles for sale in the state, adding that the agency would soon begin a crackdown on defaulters.

The Permanent Secretary said that the way individuals and auto dealers displayed vehicles for sale at unregistered premises was becoming worrisome.

He observed that the act negated the law regulating the activities of motor vehicle and spare parts dealers in the state.

Hanson pointed accusing fingers at fuel stations and eateries, which he accused of allowing such display in their premises, describing them as chief culprits.

He said, "There are some individual who used roadsides and kerbs to display vehicles illegally. This attitude constitutes a nuisance to the environment, impedes the movement of pedestrians and free flow of the traffic.

"Before we act, we will embark on a campaign to enlighten the dealers on the law regulating sales of motor vehicle and spare parts in the state, which we have been discussing at our regular stakeholders' meetings. It would be a sheer pretence for any auto or spare part dealer to feign ignorance of the law regulating the business."

The Permanent Secretary warned the auto dealers not to take the 'humane' approach of the government in enforcing the law regulating auto business for granted and warned that the government had the capacity to enforce the law to the letter.

He said that the agency would soon publish names of defaulting dealers in the national dailies and then go ahead to prosecute them.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20110701174059

There' s a law banning sales of direct sales transactions?

If these are the quotes from this Perm Sec. then the man is really a very corrupt individual knowing the governor we have in the state and he wanting to back-up his ineptitude by implying that the governor had consented to this useless operations.
Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by aloyemeka2: 4:13am On Jul 02, 2011
Fashola goofed on this one big time.
Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by sultaan(m): 5:26am On Jul 02, 2011
Its one of those things they do where a couple of govt officials make laws without seeking the opinion of those it will affect, neither will such law pass through Lagos assembly.

You cannot make laws that will bar individuals from selling their property(its not CUBA)

There is no way sale of used cars is affecting registration of cars, if his office can register cars properly, he has failed.

That corrupt man is just looking for a way to start charging N1m dealer registration fee, but the only department that should be doing that is Ministry of Commerce.

Here is requirement to be a used car dealer in Georgia USA

Complete a license application.
Purchase a surety bond worth $20,000, available through your insurance agent.
Purchase insurance for your business; liability-only is not acceptable.
Obtain a place of business, making sure that the location meets all zoning requirements. Take photos of your place of business that feature the sign and building prominently in the picture.
Establish a permanent phone at your place of business, making it easily verifiable; unlisted numbers are not acceptable.
Attend a prelicensing seminar (approved providers are listed in the application packet).
Acquire your Sales Tax ID Number from the Department of Revenue.
Submit two fingerprint cards and a $24 processing fee, made payable to the Georgia Bureau of Investigations.
Pay the $170 application fee, made payable to the Used Motor Vehicle Dealer Board.

Renewal is $150 every 2 years.

If the state cannot draw/enforce a zoning plan, everyone should not pay for their dereliction of duty.

1 Like

Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by ObamaUS: 6:01am On Jul 02, 2011
With all the huge revenue{LASAA,LAWMA,TAX,etc}that this guy is generating in lagos,i wonder why pple say he's working, He's overrated because of his publicity stunt
Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by Suntemi(m): 6:34am On Jul 02, 2011
I'm so curious about the reason our Government likes to make things complicated for us.
Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by sholasho(m): 6:59am On Jul 02, 2011
Hmmmmmmmmmm.
This is ridiculous
Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by Nobody: 7:51am On Jul 02, 2011
I'm beginning to lose my regard for Fashola and the imps that make up Lagos state government. All sorts of ridiculous and despotic laws have been introduced so arbitrarily by these power drunk characters. First was to force 'Okada' passengers to compulsorily wear public, dirty and unhygenic helmets - without a thought about the health implications, then was the criminalisation of alms-giving to beggars, and so on and so forth. Now it is about telling me how 'illegal' it is to sell my own car without going through some damn 'registered agent'!  Is this Fashola such a big head or is he just daft? Maybe someone (Boko Haram and the likes) should make an attempt on his life - if that is what would instil some sense in him. All his public show of humility seems to be a facade after all; it is dangerous to allow these insensitive despots occupy positions of power through which they inflict misery on the people out of sheer wickedness. Total bulllsh1t!
Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by daroz(m): 8:09am On Jul 02, 2011
If lagos wont register, othe states will. Na him know.

1 Like

Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by Nobody: 8:59am On Jul 02, 2011
the law if implemented well in all states of federation will check car stealing.
Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by FlyboyZee: 9:05am On Jul 02, 2011
If BRF says so, then dis is what is going to be happening in Las Gidis.
1. Negotiate and buy car in Lagos
2. Get all the vital document required 4 reg
3. Leave ur car at the point of purchase
4. Cross over to Ogun State
5. Register ur vehicle
6. Drive around Lagos
7. Wave at BRF in traffic.

Ha ha ha ha LWKMD.

1 Like

Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by belushi7: 9:10am On Jul 02, 2011
this is not good at all. the economy is bad enough. why make hard times harder? why cant i decided to sell my own used car to my cousin if i so wish? so i buy a car from the U.S now, i will have to go through an auto dealer to get it my number plates? This is insane.

1 Like

Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by Lexusgs430: 9:23am On Jul 02, 2011
No problem nah, buy in lagos and go register in Ibadan or Ogun !
Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by Lexusgs430: 9:26am On Jul 02, 2011
Not unless this Idiots come up with a law, only allowing lagos state embossed plate numbers on Lagos roads.
Whoever came up with this idea, should be flogged and hung !
Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by igwe4life(m): 9:33am On Jul 02, 2011
This reminds of Dandy in the rested soap opera bassey & company, he's always seeking a piece of the action, Now government wants a piece of the action too cool
Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by DaWhiz: 9:40am On Jul 02, 2011
These idiotic leaders seem to think they are anything without the masses. WTH!!! Plain Stewpeed!
Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by swiftycool(m): 10:24am On Jul 02, 2011
Dumb @ss theives, always looking 4 new ways to chop back door bribes. Forming a hard law so that they can secretly create a back-door market & charge a higher fee to help people who want to cut corners, like we aint seen such b4.
Just a question what if i claim i just gave a registered car out for free, will they investigate if i actually collected money? or do i need a company 4 dat too? mumu people. . . hissss

1 Like

Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by Nobody: 10:42am On Jul 02, 2011
Fashola has shot himself in the foot big time.

What then happens to a car imported for private use undecided

No doubt,some auto dealers would exploit this and demand kickbacks.
Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by Nobody: 10:50am On Jul 02, 2011
This has been a long time coming, and is more than overdue.

I agree with reducing the number of cars advertised for sale at the roadsides. Virtually every where you look, there are vehicles for sale, and people bargaining. This includes service stations, shops, garages, and just about every free space you can think of. Every street corner looks like a market place, at any given time of day or night. Not nice!

Of course, the law could state people are free to advertise their cars for sale in their own compounds, but we know what would happen, Nigerians being the way they are. They would park vehicles for sale on the roadside in front of their houses, and claim that piece of land belongs to their property, so is within their compounds. They would also park cars for sale in all their friends and relatives compounds, or in front of them. You give an inch, they'll take a mile.

Besides, it's not a bad idea to have a bit of regulation with regards to motor vehicle sales. Right now, anyone can sell any number of cars as a privateer. When a deal turns sour, the buyer has little room to seek compensation. The seller will merely say "I no be mechanic, I no know say d engine done knock, I no know say the automatic transmission don die". Often, these sellers vanish without trace, so of course the buyer loses out. As a private seller, it's easy to get away with selling vehicles not fit for their purpose, as a registered dealer, you're under obligation to provide a reasonable product or service.

It'll be interesting to see how this new law will be implemented, how it affects those with imports for personal concumption, and those selling their own cars.
Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by BizBooks(m): 11:04am On Jul 02, 2011
sultaan:

That corrupt man is just looking for a way to start charging N1m dealer registration fee, but the only department that should be doing that is Ministry of Commerce.

Here is requirement to be a used car dealer in Georgia USA

Complete a license application.
Purchase a surety bond worth $20,000, available through your insurance agent.
Purchase insurance for your business; liability-only is not acceptable.
Obtain a place of business, making sure that the location meets all zoning requirements. Take photos of your place of business that feature the sign and building prominently in the picture.
Establish a permanent phone at your place of business, making it easily verifiable; unlisted numbers are not acceptable.
Attend a prelicensing seminar (approved providers are listed in the application packet).
Acquire your Sales Tax ID Number from the Department of Revenue.
Submit two fingerprint cards and a $24 processing fee, made payable to the Georgia Bureau of Investigations.
Pay the $170 application fee, made payable to the Used Motor Vehicle Dealer Board.

Renewal is $150 every 2 years.

You appear to be against the law being proposed in Lagos. But by listing what is required to be a used car dealer in Georgia, you have unwittingly made a clear case in favour of the Lagos proposal. If car dealers in Georgia are required to "Obtain a place of business, making sure that the location meets all zoning requirements", why shouldn't the same apply in Lagos. Are you happy with the fact that every street in Lagos is littered with cars for sale.

Your write up is the best example so far why the Lagos proposal may be a good one though that may not have been your intention.
Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by Jayetiti(m): 11:07am On Jul 02, 2011
IS FASHOLA NOT DONE WITH ALL THIS TAXES HE GETS FROM LAGOSIANS?? WTH IS UNLAWFUL ABOUT SELLING MY OWN CAR DIRECTLY TO ANY INTERESTED BUYER, WHY MUST I NEED THE SERVICE OF A REGISTERED DEALER, I GUESS ITS HIGH TIME LAGOSIANS WAKE UP, THIS FASH HIS GOING TOO FAR!!!!!!!!!!!!AND IM GETTING TIRED OF HIM PARADING HIMSELF AS OBAMA OF LAGOS.
Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by Evans5050: 11:18am On Jul 02, 2011
This may give Ogun State more Revenue
As people will move there for their Registration

1 Like

Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by Nobody: 11:23am On Jul 02, 2011
Where is Eko-Ile? Oya give them the reasons why they must accept this grin
Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by Carshopper(m): 11:34am On Jul 02, 2011
[b]i feel such a law is out of proportion why do i say this- most dealers that advertise by the road side within lagos environs paid some kind of "dues" to the local govt in those areas.  also given that there is no disparity on importation duties paid by an individual vs a registered dealer why would an individual take his vehicle to an authorized dealer to help him sell.  Now i want o sell my "registered" car giving it to a 'registered dealer' makes the cost go up cause the dealer is looking for a profit cut and also takes another fee from me as 'security charges' - who is been ripped off? if this law comes into effect it would then imply that the housing laws will b rectified as not to allow 'unauthorized' agents sell or lease buildings within Lagos.

One part of the law which i see is good is not registering cars gotten via illegal routes, but most times you find out that the guys @ the licensing offices aid dealers to register such vehicles. so we are still stuck in the middle.
[/b]
Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by Kalman(m): 11:36am On Jul 02, 2011
Jayetiti:

IS FASHOLA NOT DONE WITH ALL THIS TAXES HE GETS FROM LAGOSIANS?? WTH IS UNLAWFUL ABOUT SELLING MY OWN CAR DIRECTLY TO ANY INTERESTED BUYER, WHY MUST I NEED THE SERVICE OF A REGISTERED DEALER,  I GUESS ITS HIGH TIME LAGOSIANS WAKE UP, THIS FASH HIS GOING TOO FAR!!!!!!!!!!!!AND IM GETTING TIRED OF HIM PARADING HIMSELF AS OBAMA OF LAGOS.

This Law to the best of my understanding does not say do not sell your car to your brother or friend. It is meant to help the citizens from falling into fraudulent sellers. If you display your Car as For sale by the road side, is it your brother your displaying it for?

See my friend. Let me enlighten you. In civilized countries like the UK. You acquire license authorization to sell something as little as alcohol at various times. If you acquire day time license then you can't sell at night except you have purchased the license that authorizes you to do so at night as well.

So my advice to you is learn to note development and accept it. Not just to post cause people are posting. And beside you must not post to all topics lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by Nobody: 11:38am On Jul 02, 2011
Kalman:

This Law to the best of my understanding does not say do not sell your car to your brother or friend. It is meant to help the citizens from falling into fraudulent sellers. If you display your Car as For sale by the road side, is it your brother your displaying it for?

I agree 100%.
Re: Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos by otiigba1(m): 11:45am On Jul 02, 2011
BizBooks:

You appear to be against the law being proposed in Lagos. But by listing what is required to be a used car dealer in Georgia, you have unwittingly made a clear case in favour of the Lagos proposal. If car dealers in Georgia are required to "Obtain a place of business, making sure that the location meets all zoning requirements", why shouldn't the same apply in Lagos. Are you happy with the fact that every street in Lagos is littered with cars for sale.

Your write up is the best example so far why the Lagos proposal may be a good one though that may not have been your intention.
absolutetly! i think he didnt realise that, he may have just agreed with fashola

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ford Introduces The Drift Stick Performance E-brake For The Focus RS / Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? / Nigerian, Austrian Firms To Make Vehicles Run On Gas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.