Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,821 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:34 PM

APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore (11252 Views)

APC Convention: South West Unity List Is Released / APC Convention: South-West Governors, Tinubu Battle Buhari's Candidate / PDP Convention: South-east, North-east Delegates Split Over Saraki, Atiku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by BeautifulMind2: 6:47pm On Mar 21, 2022
Six days to the All Progressives Congress (APC) convention, there is no consensus yet on who will be the national chairman.

President Muhammadu Buhari is believed to be supporting Senator Abdullahi Adamu, but other aspirants have obtained forms and are campaigning.

The Southwest geo-political zone has shared out the position allocated to it.
The region has nominated Mr. Isaac Kekemeke (Ondo State) as its candidate for National Vice Chairman (Southwest) and Senator Iyiola Omisore (Osun) as National Secretary.
Kekemeke is a former Secretary to the Ondo State government and one-time Attorney-General.
Omisore was a two-time senator.
Ondo State Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, who is the coordinator of the Southwest Governors Forum, announced the nominations yesterday.
He, however, warned against any plot by external forces to truncate the declared interest of the zonal leaders and stakeholders.

He vowed that the zone would resist efforts to create division by attempting to impose aspirants for party offices.

Akeredolu explained that APC stakeholders in the Southwest micro-zoned the positions that were brought to the region.

Speaking through his Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Donald Ojogo, Akeredolu said Kekemeke’s aspiration was not just an Ondo project, but a Southwest project.

He said: “He has paid his dues and that is exactly what Mr. Governor has rallied his colleagues to reciprocate.

“Those who are peddling other stories such as national secretary outside Oyo and Osun axis are instruments in the hands of external forces desirous to create division among leaders in the Southwest to impose persons on the party.

“For emphasis, what we are going for is national vice chairman with Kekemeke as our candidate and not the national secretary. Those outside the Southwest, who are attempting to micro-zone our offices for us in Southwest are only creating unnecessary confusion and any such of their permutations outside the decision of stakeholders in the Southwest should be ignored.”

There was suspense yesterday, following the failure of the screening committee to commence its assignment. The committee is headed by Katsina State Governor Aminu Masari.

The screening, which was billed to have taken place at the weekend at the Nicon Luxury Hotel in Abuja, was cancelled without any communication from the party.

It was learnt that some committee members and aspirants that showed up at the screening had to leave when no information was forthcoming.

It was, however, gathered that the delay in carrying out the screening was informed by the late submission of nomination forms by some aspirants.

A source attributed the none take-off of the screening to moves by some blocs in the party pushing for the harmonisation of the two sub-committees constituted by Chairman Mai Mala Buni, and the one inaugurated by former acting chairman Governor Abubakar Sani Bello.

The Buni committee had Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazak as chairman while the committee inaugurated by Bello is chaired by Masari.

It was further gathered that the harmonisation is billed to be carried out today to enable the committee to swing to action by tomorrow.

But, another source said Masari has divided his committee into six subunits, with each of the units handling screening at each geo-political zone.

The source said: “Each of the six will be sub-divided again into three. With Unit A handling the screening of National Working Committee (NWC) aspirants, Unit B will handle Non-NWC offices.

“Unit C will handle zonal positions so that they can finish their job in one day and present their report to the Appeal Committee.”

APC governors are still divided over the choice of chairman as of yesterday.

The governors were also not at ease over the emergence of a list of some preferred candidates by Buhari.

They have split into caucuses to come up with a Unity List for a second look by Buhari.

The governors may, however, meet with the President during the week on the matter.

Issues generating tension are as follows:

*Whether or not to adopt consensus or open race for the national chairman

*Opposition to the imposition of candidates.

* Rejection of tinkering with micro-zoning at the last minute.

*Need for the President to respect the inputs of the governors.

*Preparation of a Unity List by governors to present to Buhari
A source said: “Governors and party leaders have retired into caucuses on how to address some of these last-minute issues. The President prefers adoption of consensus for the offices; governors want outright open contest by aspirants
“For instance, it was learnt that the President was trying to build consensus around ex-Governor Abdullahi Adamu for the office of the national chairman. But the former governor does not enjoy the backing of most APC governors.
“Others in the list of favoured candidates are a former President of the Senate, Dr. Ken Nnamani (Deputy National Chairman, South); Farouk Adamu Aliyu (Northwest) for Deputy National Chairman (North); and Ifeolu Oyedele from Ondo State (National Secretary).
The governors are claiming that the President’s choices may alter the micro-zoning formula adopted in some geo-political zones.

“There is disquiet in the North. The Deputy National Chairman (North) ought to come from the Northeast and not Northwest. Even Buhari’s strategist, Farouk Adamu Aliyu from Jigawa State in the Northwest, who is allegedly favoured by the Presidency, is not supported by Governor Abubakar Badaru and other governors in the zone.

“In the Southwest, the governors in the geopolitical area met and zoned the National Secretary to Oyo/Osun axis and not Ondo State. What the governors ceded to Ondo State were the National Vice Chairman (Southwest) and Zonal Youth Leader.

“There are many examples of the distortion of the micro-zoning formula in all the six geopolitical zones.”

A governor said: “We want to work on a Unity List which can assist APC to consolidate and win the hearts of Nigerians in the 2023 elections.

“We do not want imposition of candidates. We want them to emerge from the members of the party.

“We believe that the President ought to seek the inputs of the governors. We will meet him before the convention with our advisory.”

All is set

Buni yesterday said that all is now set for the convention on Saturday.

He said the activities of “the Protocols Sub-committee had instilled confidence in members that all is set for the biggest party in Africa to now hold its National Convention.”

Buni, who was briefed by the Protocols sub-committee chairman and Governor of Kano State, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, in Abuja at the weekend, noted that “the committee has gingered hitherto pessimistic party members that the convention is going to hold”.

Ganduje, in a statement by his Commissioner for Information and co-opted member of the committee, Malam Muhammad Garba, quoted Buni as assuring that “the APC is organising a convention with a global outlook that calls for concerted efforts by all members.”

Ganduje told Buni that recruitment of young men and women who will serve as protocol officers and ushers during the convention has been completed.

“They recruits are receiving training, which is part of the responsibilities of the Protocols committee,” Ganduje added.

Other members of the committee are the Niger Delta Affairs Minister, Senator Godswill Akpabio; Minister of State for Health, Senator Adeleke Mamora; Rep. Hafiz Kawu from Tarauni Federal Constituency; Abdullahi Shu’aibu, among others.

Stepping down yesterday, Sheriff said: “I, Ali Modu Sheriff, will not offer myself for the contest on Saturday because it has been zoned out of my zone. I am from the Northeast.

“Northcentral is made of Kogi, Kwara, Benue, Nasarawa, Plateau states. These are the places where the chairman will come out from. Borno State is Northeast of Nigeria.

“Therefore, that’s the position as of today and I want you to communicate to all of our followership, men and women all over the country so that they don’t expect to see my name on the ballot paper.”

APC senators divided over aspirants

Sources said APC Senators are divided over the chairmanship race.

The lawmakers appear to be in dilemma because of three of their colleagues who are in the race.

They include Senators Tanko Al-Makura (Nasarawa), Sani Musa (Niger) and Abdullahi Adamu (Nasarawa).

It was gathered that some senators are supporting the candidacy of Adamu, based on information that he is the choice of President Buhari.

It was also alleged that the senators working for the emergence of Adamu as APC’s National Chairman, are also supporting the choice of the Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, as a Presidential candidate.

A senator said: “The game plan is to make Abdullahi Adamu the chairman of the party and Farouk Aliyu, a former House of Representatives member from Jigawa State, as the deputy.
“They are working with some people in the presidency to ensure the emergence of Rotimi Amaechi as the APC presidential candidate.

“Their plan is clearly against the wishes of the majority of the party members who believe that a man with his political structures should emerge as the candidate.

“They have already met with the President and they claimed that the President had bought into their game plan.”

Our reporter observed that some senators were at the Area 11 Garki, Abuja campaign office of Senator Adamu on Friday when the aspirant unveiled the newly renovated edifice.

The senators who attended the ceremony and spoke on the occasion included, Deputy Senate President Ovie Omo-Agege; Senate Leader Yahaya Abdullahi; Chief Whip Orji Uzor Kalu; Adamu Aliero and Mohammed Ali Ndume, among others.

Senator Ndume confirmed that he was supporting Adamu because of his competence and blunt attitude.

He said: “I am supporting Abdullahi Adamu because he is the most qualified and courageous among other aspirants.

“Adamu is somebody who cannot be influenced by money. He is not afraid to say anything in favour of whatever he believes in.”

Senators Al-Makura, Musa and Adamu could not be reached for comments.

However, Senator Musa said: “I respect those that are older than me and I also reciprocate the same gesture of respect to those that I am ahead of in terms of age.

“I respect those that are my seniors. I will seize this opportunity to call on those that have been in this system to give those that are new, a trial so that we will come up with fresh ideas.

“At 57, I should be able to steer the ship of APC and put it on the pedestal of success and of winning elections.”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thenationonlineng.net/apc-convention-southwest-picks-kekemeke-omisore/amp/

1 Share

Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by Rastaramsey(m): 6:49pm On Mar 21, 2022
Confused set of people.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by Anambra1stSon(m): 7:01pm On Mar 21, 2022
LegendHero and NGpatriot I hope you remember my prediction more than 9 months ago that APC candidate will be Hon Chibuike Amaechi and Tinubu and his camp will decamp to another party grin grin grin

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by Anambra1stSon(m): 7:03pm On Mar 21, 2022
Seunmsg that Nation report grin grin

1 Like

Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by seunmsg(m): 7:04pm On Mar 21, 2022
post=111239964:
LegendHero and NGpatriot I hope you remember my prediction more than 9 months ago that APC candidate will be Hon Chibuike Amaechi and Tinubu and his camp will decamp to another party grin grin grin

So, is Amaechi now the candidate of APC?

23 Likes

Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by athaboi(f): 7:04pm On Mar 21, 2022
What of Aregbesola candidate

1 Like

Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by Anambra1stSon(m): 7:04pm On Mar 21, 2022
Few days to go
Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by triple996(m): 7:06pm On Mar 21, 2022
2023 will be very interesting in the ..................
Land of slapping and burning grin
Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by seunmsg(m): 7:07pm On Mar 21, 2022
post=111240020:
Seunmsg that Nation report grin grin

Dude, what is the point you’re trying to make? Is Amaechi now the candidate of APC or has PDP given its presidential ticket to Peter Obi Pandora? Make it make sense.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by LegendHero(m): 7:08pm On Mar 21, 2022
post=111239964:

So what is the meaning of this coz I don’t understand you.

Is Amaechi the candidate of APC or am I missing something?

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by seunmsg(m): 7:13pm On Mar 21, 2022
Isaac Kekemeke’s choice as National vice chairman SW is a great one. The move is to repair our relationship with our Ijaw brothers. No wonder the usual “we SE and SS” attaché by force proponents are already wailing.

26 Likes

Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by LegendHero(m): 7:17pm On Mar 21, 2022
seunmsg:
Isaac Kekemeke’s choice as National vice chairman SW is a great one. The move is to repair our relationship with our Ijaw brothers. No wonder the usual “we SE and SS” attaché by force proponents are already wailing.

I checked that name and checked again. I was like this doesn’t sound Yorubaish like that but maybe I might be wrong.

But you pointing out the name is somehow Ijaw now make perfect sense to me as per that name.

So Omisore clinching with Asiwaju eventually paid off for the man. Well it’s politics, I’m sure the SW APC caucus have a cogent reason for that.

19 Likes

Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by Anambra1stSon(m): 7:23pm On Mar 21, 2022
seunmsg:

So, is Amaechi now the candidate of APC?
Just remember my prediction

3 Likes

Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by festacman(m): 7:24pm On Mar 21, 2022
These are Tinubu men.

4 Likes

Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by Anambra1stSon(m): 7:24pm On Mar 21, 2022
LegendHero:

So what is the meaning of this coz I don’t understand you.

Is Amaechi the candidate of APC or am I missing something?
I will remind you again

2 Likes

Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by Salvador1: 7:29pm On Mar 21, 2022
Just reserving my comment till Tinubu finally lose out.

1 Like

Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by tinsel: 7:41pm On Mar 21, 2022
post=111239964:
I am praying they give Amaechi the ticket. It will be very easy for PDP.

17 Likes

Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by seunmsg(m): 7:49pm On Mar 21, 2022
LegendHero:

I checked that name and checked again. I was like this doesn’t sound Yorubaish like that but maybe I might be wrong.

But you pointing out the name is somehow Ijaw now make perfect sense to me as per that name.

So Omisore clinching with Asiwaju eventually paid off for the man. Well it’s politics, I’m sure the SW APC caucus have a cogent reason for that.

He’s ijaw from Ondo state just like Kingsley Kuku, the former Amnesty coordinator.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by justified007: 7:51pm On Mar 21, 2022
LegendHero:

I am sincerely disappointed at the choice of Omisore for such a sensitive position .

The PDP goons are gradually taking control of the APC's day to day activities. Imagine having Adamu Abdullahi as the national chairman , Omisore as the secretary and Ken Nnamna as the National Vice Chairman

2 Likes

Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by LegendHero(m): 7:56pm On Mar 21, 2022
justified007:

I am sincerely disappointed at the choice of Omisore for such a sensitive position .

The PDP goons are gradually taking control of the APC's day to day activities. Imagine having Adamu Abdullahi as the national chairman , Omisore as the secretary and Ken Nnamna as the National Vice Chairman

Actually it somehow crazy but I think the political players understand what they are doing.

Let’s see how it goes eventually for them.

10 Likes

Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by superyop: 7:56pm On Mar 21, 2022
Evil party
Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by FreeStuffsNG: 7:58pm On Mar 21, 2022
justified007:

Sen. Omisore was actually a foundation member and strong financier of AD in 1999. It was his political disagreement with late Pa Ige and Pa Akande that turned him into a political pariah until now.

That Sen. Adamu angle is not really clear especially with his EFCC case. Let us watch how things pan out but kudos to the SW for being organized and focussed on BAT 2023.
On the mandate of Asiwaju Tinubu I stand.

23 Likes

Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by famology(m): 8:31pm On Mar 21, 2022
tinsel:

That's why I'm surprised by these neophyte. Amaechi doesn't have the capacity to win the presidential election.

5 Likes

Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by Fabulousnews: 8:40pm On Mar 21, 2022
*Omishore has Track Record of Disloyality.. He didn't Deserve the Position of National Secretary*

When you look at the Political life of Senator Dr. Iyiola Omisore, and you can be assured he is nothing but a destabilizer in any party he found himself.

If you ask Omisore, who I will easy call a political harlot, what his biggest ambition is, I am sure he would confirm that it is governing Osun State. A dream he has failed to actualise multiple times since the advent of this republic.

Over the years, his perpetual failure at clinching the number one job in the state has remained a conundrum to many observers of the political development in the state, particularly, as he is regarded as a political heavy weight. But with his series of political losses, many doubt if he is a real gladiator or a mere paper tiger.

Omisore has switched political parties multiple times in his desperate and frantic bid to govern Osun. From Alliance for Democracy (AD) to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the Social Democratic Party (SDP) and now All Progressives Congress (APC).

In the 2018 governorship election where he contested under the SDP, he came third in the race with 128,049 votes. The former Osun East Senator became the political beautiful bride as the election between now incumbent, Gboyega Oyetola of the All Progressives Congress, APC, and Ademola Adeleke of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, headed into a re-run in some areas.
Omisore, who was facing several charges by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission EFCC, took the offer from the APC In 2018 as he was allegedly promised a soft landing in his case with the anti-graft agency. The supposed offer was that; his seized travel passport would be released, his case with the anti-graft agency dismissed and his frozen bank account unfrozen.

In the long run, he pitched his tent with Oyetola and the APC won by a narrow margin.

Some sources have said part of the deal with Oyetola was that when Oyetola finishes serving his second term as governor, he would support Omisore to succeed him. It however appears the former Osun Deputy Governor is on the verge of being disappointed as a top force in the state’s APC; former governor Rauf Aregebesola, the Minister for Interior, said the party will never be ‘hijacked by murderers’.

I recall that the only dent on Omisore’s reputation is his alleged involvement in the cold-blooded murder of former Justice Minister and Attorney-General, Chief Bola Ige, an allegation Omisore has debunked severally.

With the recent political play in Osun State, most especially with the faceoff between Governor Oyetola and Aregbesola, it seems Omisore’s defection is near.

Omisore came to APC because of his selfish interest and over ambitious, i can tell you categorically that Omisore will live APC when he realise he can't get what he want, his track record shows that he can never be trusted with anything sensitive in the party because he will end up destroying the party if he realise the game is not favouring him.

Omisore don't have the locust standing to become the Next National secretary of APC, he should be hiding his face in shame.[color=#000099][/color]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by ivolt: 8:41pm On Mar 21, 2022
tinsel:

He will be a walkover for PDP.

1 Like

Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by Penguin2: 8:50pm On Mar 21, 2022
So they ceded Secretary to Tinubu faction…

Ceded Vice Chairman to Akeredolu faction…

And they expect Fayemi to just sit and be watching them.

Them try.

On Oyedele mandate we stand.

He’s the best man to serve as APC secretary.

Omisore, the murderer of Chief Bola Ige, can go and die.
Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by Penguin2: 8:51pm On Mar 21, 2022
ivolt:

He will be a walkover for PDP.

Amaechi will be APC best candidate.

He will garner votes from all parts of the South and north.

That’s what Tinubu can’t guarantee

2 Likes

Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by VladimirPutiin(m): 9:02pm On Mar 21, 2022
LegendHero:

Actually it somehow crazy but I think the political players understand what they are doing.

Let’s see how it goes eventually for them.

Tinubu is being checked mate.

2 Likes

Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by hajimosho(m): 9:17pm On Mar 21, 2022

We are watching as it all unfolds

Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by jyz200(m): 9:29pm On Mar 21, 2022
VladimirPutiin:

Tinubu is being checked mate.
U just type any rubbish that come to your brain shocked

6 Likes

Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by DeLaRue: 9:48pm On Mar 21, 2022
[quote author=Penguin2 post=111242883]So they
Re: APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore by DeLaRue: 9:49pm On Mar 21, 2022
Penguin2:
So they ceded Secretary to Tinubu faction…

Ceded Vice Chairman to Akeredolu faction…

And they expect Fayemi to just sit and be watching them.

Kekemeke is actually a Tinubu guy and was Chairman of Ondo APC before and immediately after Akeredolu won his first term election.

Because Tinubu supported another candidate in the APC primary against Akeredolu, when Akeredolu won and became Governor, Akeredolu forced the pro-Tinubu Kekemeke APC Exco out and put his own people.

As it seems Akeredolu and Tinubu have now patched their differences, the 2 men have agreed to bring Kekemeke back into the picture.

Fayemi's exaggerated portrayal in national politics belies his insignificant profile in SW politics. Now that his former 'anti-Tinubu' pal, Akeredolu, appear to have returned to the Tinubu camp, his situation is even worse.

Ekiti is the smallest state in the SW. If a position is zoned to the SW, how much voice can a Governor of Ekiti have? Your suggestion that Fayemi will not accept what are effectively Tinubu's choices, raises the question...what can Fayemi do? The honest answer is, nothing.

Fayemi is seriously mistaken forming 'big Governor' and plotting with certain elements in Abuja, when in his own region, virtually no one knows him outside Ekiti.

25 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bola Tinubu Celebrates 71st Birthday Today / Labour Party Denies Threatening Judges Over Presidential Tribunal / Why I Wept Openly For Nigeria – Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.