Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,824 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:38 PM

Is Java Good For A Novice To Learn? And Also What Brain Work Is Required? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is Java Good For A Novice To Learn? And Also What Brain Work Is Required? (722 Views)

Is Java Good For A Novice To Learn? And Also What Brain Work Is Required? / Data Analyst/science - The Smart Way To Learn And Be Effective / Help With Ebook On Oracle SQL For A Novice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Java Good For A Novice To Learn? And Also What Brain Work Is Required? by Tallino25(m): 10:47am On Mar 23, 2022
Good morning all, So i just finished school a year ago and decided to get a skill in any IT related field ,so i choose programming for a start(Java to be precise) with growth to the cyber security field in view.
So recently i started working for an IT company on an internship/work basics to help broaden my mind and brains, so it was while at the company during my free hours i downloaded java, NetBeans and all the essentials needed to start learning Java which included YouTube tutorial videos.
So one day my boss was going through the system allocated to me and saw java stuffs on it and she called me to ask whether i knew anything about java since she is seeing java stuffs on the system, i told her the reason for the java that i just wanted to learn programming.

So she told me that if i wanted to learn programming i should have started from Node, ms something (i have forgotten the names she mentioned) she mentioned a lot of strange languages i should learn saying that java is outdated and not in vogue that people are learning higher languages.
She also told me she has a lot of materials i could take from her that will guide me and so on. It was just an advice from her though but at that point i became confused, Because here on nairaland i saw a thread concerning programming languages a novice should start with, and most people suggested java and that was exactly where i picked the idea to begin from java.

So pls Nairalanders what language is really the best to begin with, and also what type of brain work is required?
Re: Is Java Good For A Novice To Learn? And Also What Brain Work Is Required? by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:54am On Mar 23, 2022
Your boss doesn't know anything and it's node JS not node ms.
Re: Is Java Good For A Novice To Learn? And Also What Brain Work Is Required? by Uzomacharles: 11:06am On Mar 23, 2022
Java is widely used in most applications even JavaScript
Re: Is Java Good For A Novice To Learn? And Also What Brain Work Is Required? by Sheddy5(m): 11:08am On Mar 23, 2022
Following.
Re: Is Java Good For A Novice To Learn? And Also What Brain Work Is Required? by Tunechi5(m): 11:16am On Mar 23, 2022
No programming language is a waste all that's needed is for you build stuffs with it

1 Like

Re: Is Java Good For A Novice To Learn? And Also What Brain Work Is Required? by Nobody: 11:17am On Mar 23, 2022
Java is a great language to start with. It can be a little bit more complex than other languages but if you know Java, every other language becomes a breeze to learn.

Your boss was referring the Nodejs, which is not a language but a Javascript runtime. I would advice you don't take any programming advice from someone who recommends a runtime as an alternative for a language, sounds like the person don't have any programming experience.

Anyway I have no idea what language is used in the cybersecurity world. And you don't seem to know either and just seems confused as I don't think you even researched if programming is needed in cybersecurity. Maybe you're just throwing cool words around, I can't tell.

Instead of
Because here on nairaland i saw a thread concerning programming languages a novice should start with, and most people suggested java and that was exactly where i picked the idea to begin from java.

How about you take some time and do research on what you want to do and pursue it passionately because if you don't. you will be back here again when someone else recommends python

3 Likes

Re: Is Java Good For A Novice To Learn? And Also What Brain Work Is Required? by parkervero(m): 11:21am On Mar 23, 2022
Tallino25:
Good morning all, So i just finished school a year ago and decided to get a skill in any IT related field ,so i choose programming for a start(Java to be precise) with growth to the cyber security field in view.
So recently i started working for an IT company on an internship/work basics to help broaden my mind and brains, so it was while at the company during my free hours i downloaded java, NetBeans and all the essentials needed to start learning Java which included YouTube tutorial videos.
So one day my boss was going through the system allocated to me and saw java stuffs on it and she called me to ask whether i knew anything about java since she is seeing java stuffs on the system, i told her the reason for the java that i just wanted to learn programming.

So she told me that if i wanted to learn programming i should have started from Node, ms something (i have forgotten the names she mentioned) she mentioned a lot of strange languages i should learn saying that java is outdated and not in vogue that people are learning higher languages.
She also told me she has a lot of materials i could take from her that will guide me and so on.
It was just an advice from her though but at that point i became confused, Because here on nairaland i saw a thread concerning programming languages a novice should start with, and most people suggested java and that was exactly where i picked the idea to begin from java.

So pls Nairalanders what language is really the best to begin with, and also what type of brain work is required?

I always insult people who say this.
Re: Is Java Good For A Novice To Learn? And Also What Brain Work Is Required? by airsaylongcome: 11:27am On Mar 23, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
Your boss doesn't know anything and it's node JS not node ms.

Boss is a big buffoon (excuse my French). Java outdated?
Re: Is Java Good For A Novice To Learn? And Also What Brain Work Is Required? by airsaylongcome: 11:28am On Mar 23, 2022
Uzomacharles:
Java is widely used in most applications even JavaScript

Are you saying Java is used in Javascript?
Re: Is Java Good For A Novice To Learn? And Also What Brain Work Is Required? by Uzomacharles: 11:29am On Mar 23, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Are you saying Java is used in Javascript?
Java is a different language on its own like wise JS
Re: Is Java Good For A Novice To Learn? And Also What Brain Work Is Required? by airsaylongcome: 11:30am On Mar 23, 2022
parkervero:

I always insult people who say this.

I mean! Java outdated? Are you kidding me?
Re: Is Java Good For A Novice To Learn? And Also What Brain Work Is Required? by parkervero(m): 11:59am On Mar 23, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I mean! Java outdated? Are you kidding me?
Do you understand what you're quoting me for?
Re: Is Java Good For A Novice To Learn? And Also What Brain Work Is Required? by LikeAking: 12:08pm On Mar 23, 2022
Op just follow ur boss. Allow her mentor u.

U are very lucky.

Follow human being, not google.
Re: Is Java Good For A Novice To Learn? And Also What Brain Work Is Required? by Tallino25(m): 12:30pm On Mar 23, 2022
DrLevi:
Java is a great language to start with. It can be a little bit more complex than other languages but if you know Java, every other language becomes a breeze to learn.

Your boss was referring the Nodejs, which is not a language but a Javascript runtime. I would advice you don't take any programming advice from someone who recommends a runtime as an alternative for a language, sounds like the person don't have any programming experience.

Anyway I have no idea what language is used in the cybersecurity world. And you don't seem to know either and just seems confused as I don't think you even researched if programming is needed in cybersecurity. Maybe you're just throwing cool words around, I can't tell.

Instead of

How about you take some time and do research on what you want to do and pursue it passionately because if you don't. you will be back here again when someone else recommends python
Thank you very much for this good advice,i will key into it

1 Like

Re: Is Java Good For A Novice To Learn? And Also What Brain Work Is Required? by Tallino25(m): 12:31pm On Mar 23, 2022
LikeAking:

U are very lucky.

Hmm.. Lol i will consider that too
Re: Is Java Good For A Novice To Learn? And Also What Brain Work Is Required? by BlaqFaze: 1:05pm On Mar 23, 2022
Pascal/small-talk/perl is kinda outdated, that's the route java is following IMO sha but many programmers share the same opinion....spring framework already has default support for kotlin, Google is also trying to make sure nobody builds android apps in java (maybe cause of their court case with Oracle)
Re: Is Java Good For A Novice To Learn? And Also What Brain Work Is Required? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Mar 23, 2022
I dunno much....but someone asked such a question before on quora....
someone replied;
java is here to stay at least for a distant non foreseeable future....
and also, learning java is a massive headstart to learning any programming language
Re: Is Java Good For A Novice To Learn? And Also What Brain Work Is Required? by Ajibade123(m): 9:12pm On Mar 23, 2022
Tallino25:

She also told me she has a lot of materials i could take from her that will guide me and so on. It was just an advice from her though but at that point i became confused, Because here on nairaland i saw a thread concerning programming languages a novice should start with, and most people suggested java and that was exactly where i picked the idea to begin from java.

your boss is suggesting you start with node.js lmao
not even pure vanilla JavaScript or Python
you better continue your java with your netbeans or intelliJ
Re: Is Java Good For A Novice To Learn? And Also What Brain Work Is Required? by Ajibade123(m): 9:14pm On Mar 23, 2022
LikeAking:

U are very lucky.

I don't think you and the OP boss even understand what the OP is talking about
Re: Is Java Good For A Novice To Learn? And Also What Brain Work Is Required? by JoyousFurnitire(m): 1:14am On Mar 24, 2022
I want to guess you didn't get her point.

Java is a high level language and one of the most powerful server side platform.

Node JS is also a server side platform built on top of chrome V8 engine (having some JavaScript and C under the hood) and currently popular and in demand than java.

I guess she noticed you're inclined towards server-side and not client-side hence why she suggested the popular and in demand one (Node.JS).

But before you learn Node.JS, you need to learn JavaScript because Node.JS is a JavaScript runtime platform. Because JavaScript was first a client (browser) language (i.e. used to be only for frontend end and browser events programming). But with Node.JS, we can now use JavaScript on the server side too. In simple terms you write JavaScript inside it's server side platform (Node.JS).

Now to your question, Java is a static language and could be strange and hard to grab at first for novice (compared to other dynamic languages like python and JavaScript).

But with constant practice (which will definitely take time) you will get it.

JavaScript on the other hand is a dynamic type language which will be easier and more sight friendly to novice (also python).

My advice: know your focus area and choose the best language for that area.

PS: If you spend time and master data structures with Java, understanding other languages will be moi moi.

NB: I didn't say you should go with Java Sha o

1 Like

Re: Is Java Good For A Novice To Learn? And Also What Brain Work Is Required? by parkervero(m): 9:28am On Mar 24, 2022
BlaqFaze:
Pascal/small-talk/perl is kinda outdated, that's the route java is following IMO sha but many programmers share the same opinion....spring framework already has default support for kotlin, Google is also trying to make sure nobody builds android apps in java (maybe cause of their court case with Oracle)

Java isn't following that route at all. Java is ubiquitous language which will outlive your grandchildren maintaining it top spot in ranking. A language being massively invested in can't just get outdated, get that straight.

Kotlin is shining(in Android development) now but don't worry Java is catching up really fast on why some dev adopt kotlin.

Java is highly demanded language in Europe and Asia (China and India specifically).

Google can't stop existing apps built in Java not to be maintained. You use them everyday.

(1) (Reply)

Mysql Guru And Php / .net Question Guys / Intranet Configurations On Internet information server(IIS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.