Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,339 members, 7,819,196 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:32 PM

Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report (31745 Views)

Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying / 7 Signs Of A Toxic Workplace / Tips To Survive A Toxic Workplace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by ComeToJesus: 5:41pm On Mar 25, 2022
My toxic boss wrongly accused me of wrongdoing. I politely told him I won't take responsibility for that. I was expecting my arse to be kicked because I stood up to the tyrant.

Next day, he called me to apologize. He did that , probably because he's an expat. Nigerian head hunchos believe they can do no wrong.

So much for toxic bosses.

3 Likes

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by Nobody: 5:44pm On Mar 25, 2022
Perfecttouchade:
Ok..make una epp me beg @killmods I no wan run for presidency, e sey na by force grin grin bros I dobaale biko I no do grin
Lol.. if u run from am u go still meet am now for front no worry. Better start preparing

1 Like

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by pixey(m): 5:49pm On Mar 25, 2022
AliuKe:
I dont have a boss .... sorry

Exactly ! If you love these kind of boss why not stop being self-employed and work with him.Ermm sorry for him so as it will ginger you well. It would fit you well wink

2 Likes

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by Joetttimua1811(m): 5:51pm On Mar 25, 2022
Ok
Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by pixey(m): 5:54pm On Mar 25, 2022
Donaluta:

You dey support tyranny... No wonder them dey kill Una like chickens ...
No mind am! He wan dey claim maverick.
Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by sherylbaky(f): 5:59pm On Mar 25, 2022
Remag666:

But who appointed the board members?
How on God's green earth can someone he gave job suspend him
I swr I'm confused.
Board of directors are people elected to represent shareholders of a company, don't forget that shareholders own certain percentage of shares in the company.

Some shareholders might even hold shares far higher than that of the CEO. Now, when the board representing them notice anything that could draw the company back, they immediately take action so it doesn't put the shareholders at great risk/loss.
So if majority of the board members vote for the suspension of the CEO for doing a wrong thing....so be it.

4 Likes

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by BSdetective: 6:00pm On Mar 25, 2022
Nigerian workers are generally toxic, untrustworthy and unreliable....when you discipline them they cry fowl.....this whole workplace toxicity is another avenue to push the already stressed bosses in a corner..... that's why I like Adenuga..... didn't take his company public to avoid shit like this.

2 Likes

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by Perfecttouchade: 6:03pm On Mar 25, 2022
killmods:

Lol.. if u run from am u go still meet am now for front no worry. Better start preparing
grin grin ok I no run again bros grin
Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by pixey(m): 6:04pm On Mar 25, 2022
Remag666:

But who appointed the board members?
How on God's green earth can someone he gave job suspend him
I swr I'm confused.
Go and read Corporate Governance bro ! Bento Africa is a private limited liability company and not a one man business or partnership. In a private limited liability company, the CEO is just the one overseeing the operational and tactical activities of the company.Just because he is one of the founders does not make him the owner. Unless he has 100% stake or holdings.

5 Likes

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by lordtriplee(m): 6:14pm On Mar 25, 2022
You must be joking.

You don’t have to be abusive to get stuff done. I have seen leaders lead complex teams in Nigeria and not treat them like nothings.

CEOs like Ebun are horrible and do more damage than good. I don’t see what exceptional thing he has done with Bento
AliuKe:
Such bosses are needed in Nigeria, most employers will silently hire such a guy because he has what it takes to get the job done....

Although he went to the extreme in some cases but i support him 100%

He will be back soon, tougher this time ....

Good Job Ebun...

3 Likes

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by OdefaGirl(f): 6:20pm On Mar 25, 2022
What is the job of SERVICOM sef?
Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by Nobody: 6:35pm On Mar 25, 2022
OdefaGirl:
What is the job of SERVICOM sef?

Servicom is for the civil service , not for the private sector

1 Like

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by membranus: 6:37pm On Mar 25, 2022
AliuKe:
Lol ... keep waiting .... Nigeria needs such boys to help sanitize the "work environment" You want to manage a company in Nigeria as a gentle man... be prepared for losses

If all competent and profitable companies are run on your sadistic human resources principles, then why is it that not many of these bosses were outed in that viral twitter thread?

I have worked in big organisations with bosses having human face, and they are getting more prosperous.

Your theory can only thrives in one-man business ownership structure, not in large companies with professional human resources managers running on strict staff policies.
Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by QuinModah(f): 6:57pm On Mar 25, 2022
LandMann:
You'll find same or even worse level of toxicity in virtually most companies and contract firms in Nigeria... They should beam their searchlight on call centre agent workplace. It's where you'll find man's inhumanity to man
I don't advise my enemy to work there
Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by lagosrd: 7:25pm On Mar 25, 2022
That's a good one there . I just keep wondering where some people originate from. Wicked to their pants especially we Yorubas . We don't have conscience at all. They tends to be too Draconia especially when they see a young fellow Yorubas make head way . God will send you all out one after the other. I had those kind of experience when I was in my former place of work. No leave foe a whole year , witch hunting most times trying to de-rep you at any slight opportunity. I have since forgiven them but anytime I have the opportunity I will take my revenge and leave the heavenly punishment foe God to handle.
Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by Nobody: 7:27pm On Mar 25, 2022
sherylbaky:
Board of directors are people elected to represent shareholders of a company, don't forget that shareholders own certain percentage of shares in the company.

Some shareholders might even hold shares far higher than that of the CEO. Now, when the board representing them notice anything that could draw the company back, they immediately take action so it doesn't put the shareholders at great risk/loss.
So if majority of the board members vote for the suspension of the CEO for doing a wrong thing....so be it.
In other words that guy fowl don lay cooked egg grin
So he's not even the overall boss and he's playing God.
Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by AmuRubber(m): 8:01pm On Mar 25, 2022
Optimistguy1969:
Dem dey suspend CEO?!

How?

Yes, it's possible! A typical example is the case of Steve Jobs, who was fired in May 1985 from Apple Inc. by the company’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO) John Sculley and the Board. Steve Jobs actually co-founded the company in 1976.
Although Steve was not the CEO before the sack, he was the company's Chief Visionary Officer (CVO), a role that put him in charge of the team developing Apple's next revolutionary product, the Macintosh computer.
According to Wikipedia, “A Chief Visionary Officer or Chief Vision Officer (CVO) is an executive function in a company like CEO or COO. The title is sometimes used to formalize a high-level advisory position and other times used to define a higher ranking position than that held by the CEO...”

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by alanto: 8:16pm On Mar 25, 2022
femijay8271:

Festival bar
You sabi
Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by Bbbw: 8:52pm On Mar 25, 2022
Oh
Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by OdefaGirl(f): 8:59pm On Mar 25, 2022
tekjansen2:

Servicom is for the civil service , not for the private sector

Even in civil service.... it's not working
Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by tiger28: 9:13pm On Mar 25, 2022
Maybe a bit tyrannical but this is what is needed to get the job done IN NIGERIA........Nigerian Workers can be lazy and take advantage of you when they know you are a SOFT Boss. I relocated to Nigeria some years ago to head a foreign Outlet with a Staff of about 60......I can relate with Ebun to AN EXTENT.

1 Like

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by sparog(m): 9:18pm On Mar 25, 2022
Optimistguy1969:
Dem dey suspend CEO?!

How?

Of course, the board of directors of a public liability company can suspend or remove the ceo and appoint another ceo
Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by 4lorunsho(m): 9:29pm On Mar 25, 2022
Optimistguy1969:
Dem dey suspend CEO?!

How?

Its structure .... When structure are in place. Hr can by the board of directors
Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by vivaciousvivi(f): 11:43pm On Mar 25, 2022
Optimistguy1969:
Dem dey suspend CEO?!

How?
Depending on governance structures, CEOs traditionally report to the BOD. And in this instance, the BOD exercised their veto power. Not unusual at all.
Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by Elioandrew: 12:22am On Mar 26, 2022
I have a case similar, but mine is that my boss had never paid me since I started working for him except the 40k part-pay he gave me for my first month (June 2021) and from then up till October November since I stopped working, nothing has been paid to me. I wish to speak up, I need the public to know about this, I need my money. I worked, so I must be paid.
Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by effort1: 10:16am On Mar 26, 2022
AliuKe:
Such bosses are needed in Nigeria, most employers will silently hire such a guy because he has what it takes to get the job done....

Good Job Ebun...

May you and your family members be under such a boss for your lifetime.

2 Likes

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by gotnel: 10:35am On Mar 26, 2022
Lord of the manor.
Lording it over your staffs as if they are slaves is a bad spirit that kills workers morale.
Aggre that some people would require maximum attention before you can make them productive, it must not be stick every time.
Carrots and steaks approach is the utmost tonic.
When necessary, be hard on your workers
But friendly atmosphere must rules all the time

1 Like

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by Farfalla(f): 12:42pm On Mar 26, 2022
AliuKe:

Good Job Ebun...

You just want to sound rebellious.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report by XAUBulls: 9:31am On Mar 28, 2023
Parachoko:
...begins an active investigation into the current workplace culture at Bento.

Bento Africa’s Board of Directors has recommended that the Chief Executive Officer, Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo takes some time off and be removed from any people-related decisions for the time being.

This was disclosed in a news release posted on Bento Africa’s website yesterday.

This came after Tech Cabal launched an avalanche against toxic bosses with a story on Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo, the CEO of tech start-up, Bento Africa.

The crackdown on Ebun was a result of alleged verbal abuse, which included unconscionable curse words, refusal to grant leave and time off, erratic termination of appointment without due process – essentially just deactivating their emails and Slack accounts.

He was also accused of allegedly telling laid-off employees that they wouldn’t find work anywhere. Leave days and time off were dismissed as a fallacy, according to the report.

What Bento is saying

https://blog.bento.africa/a-message-from-bento/

https://nairametrics.com/2022/03/24/bento-africa-suspends-ceo-ebunoluwa-okunbanjo-after-toxic-workplace-report/
Bump.

This is a huge one. Genuine work ethics have to be enhanced through continuous educational training from top to bottom. Period.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Stop Being Dependent On Monthly Salary / Photo Of Firefighters Looking Very Tired After Putting Off The Grenfell Fire / Andela Sacks 420 Staff In Nigeria, Kenya And Uganda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.