Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,840 members, 7,810,235 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:19 AM

Positive Ways To Discipline A Child - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Positive Ways To Discipline A Child (228 Views)

How To Discipline Your Child The Smart And Healthy Way-UNICEF / What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? / My Aunt Doesn't Want Me To Discipline Her Children. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Positive Ways To Discipline A Child by Skaylite(m): 4:09pm On Mar 25, 2022
You’ve been probably struggle with your child behavior, and you want some positive ways to discipline your child. But why do children need to be discipline? Because they misbehave a lot and that need to treated and replace with right behavior.

You’ll want to read this article. By the end of reading, you’ll have 5 specific ideas that will help you to discipline your child. The research in psychology has been very clear about this.

Now, let’s dive in.

Kids need 2 things to be well-adjusted and happy. And those 2 things are love and discipline.

Sometimes researchers use different terms for that. Like warmth and structure.

Well, does that sound like love and discipline to you?

So, finding healthy ways to discipline your children is really essential to their development. And it helps you feel better as a parent, too. Because don’t you get tipped over sometimes when you end up doing something that wasn’t so healthy? Yes, you do.

What I’ve found is that most parents get frustrated or confused when they’re trying to deal with a child who’s on stage 1 in their moral development. If you’re not familiar yet with the stages of moral development.

The confusion that you have or the frustration that you feel is usually because these children should be doing something more mature, but they’re not.

That means that you as a parent have to step up and take a higher level of control.

Here are 5 tips that will help you to have a more healthy approach to discipline.

Tip 1: Separate The Emotion From The Discipline.

You get tipped over sometimes when you’re disciplining your child. This is counterproductive because it gives the child a false sense of control over a big person who should be in control of their emotions.

Separating the emotion from the discipline puts you in a powerful position as a parent.

So, it’s all business. We take the emotion out of the discipline. It’s all cool. It’s all calm. I’m going to maintain a calm face, voice, and body as I engage in the discipline for the children.

This is easier said than done, because our emotions get sucked into it.

Notice that your emotions become relevant when you are feeling frustrated, angry or resentful about what your child is doing.

Those 3 feelings: frustration, anger and resentment are really great indicators that you need to get into control.

And it’s distracting to feel those feelings because it seems like somebody else needs to get into control.

Well, even though that might be true, your frustration and anger is because you are out of control. That’s why you need to focus on what you can control instead of what you can’t.

And that’s going to help us to remove the emotion from the discipline.

Tip 2: Think versus fight.

Think versus fight. What do you want your kids to do? Think or fight? You want them to think. Because when they’re thinking they make pretty good decisions.

When they’re fighting, not so much.

This rule goes for everyone, including you as a parent. Think not fight. If you’re feeling like fighting, you’re off.

Get back focused on thinking so that you can come up with some strategies for how to approach the discipline in a completely business like way because you’ve already separated the emotion from the discipline.

Keep thinking and let’s encourage the kids to do the same.

Here’s a little insight about that. When mom’s smiling, kids are thinking. This goes for dad too.

It freaks him out a little bit at first. Because if they’re used to tipping you over, and we’ve got the emotion all tied in to the discipline still.

Then they’ve got you. They know that they’re in control. When you separate the emotion from the discipline, and you’re smiling, they wonder what you’re up to. And they start to get nervous. Think not fight.

Tip3. Let consequences and empathy do the teaching.

A lot of times as a parent, you get into the old 3 R’s of parenting. Do you know what those are? They are Rant, Rave, and Rescue.

It’s where you ball them out, and we bail them out. Instead of doing that, we’re going to allow the consequences to fall.

Recommendation: How to Handle Difficult Child Behavior:https://childupbring.com.ng/handle-difficult-child-behavior/

Emotional
Now, a lot of times you get all emotionally tied up in your kid’s choices because you really don’t want them to have the consequences, do you? No.

You’re trying to protect their little Souls.

So, you, instead ball them out for whatever it is that you’re trying to discipline them over. And then you bail them out and let them have the privileges that they haven’t earned through their choices.

Can you connect with this at some level?

When you do this, you teach your kids inadvertently that the only thing that matters is that they have to put up with a little bit of noise.

And for kids, bad breath is better than no breath at all.

So, they’ll do that all day long. It also tells them that what really matters here is mom or dad’s mood.

If they’re in a good mood, then I can get what I want. If they’re in a bad mood, then I have to put up with a little bit of noise and then I’m still going to get what I want.

Really? Is that what you want to teach your kids? Let’s let the consequences fall. I can guarantee you, your kids can handle whatever consequences they are developmentally bringing on to their plate.

They can handle it. They might not send you the message that they can handle it.

That doesn’t mean that they can’t handle it. So, let the consequences fall. And then let’s add that second part.

Empathy
You let empathy be the emotional response that you give your kids. Empathy has 2 important components. It means that you understand and care how someone else feels. And you do. You already do. You care how your child feels, that’s why you’ve been bailing them out. Instead of bailing them out, join with them in that feeling.

Understand and care how your kids feel. Use consequences and empathy to do the teaching.

Tip 4: Control and Maturity
You balance control with maturity. Control and maturity are inextricably tied together. You have control because of maturity. This is what you want to teach the kids.

The more mature they are, the more control they get to have. And it’s all business because you’ve separated the emotion from the discipline.
You see how these tips are tying together?

Tip 5: Focus on Choice and Accountability.
Always give your kids 2 choices. Both of which you are okay with.
And one of which you control without getting into all of the details about how to do that particular skill. This is a really powerful way to have a healthy approach to discipline, because you’re focusing on choice.

You can do this or you can do that. Either way is okay with me.

Make sure you’re okay with both ways, because if you give your kids a choice that you’re okay with and one that you’re not okay with, guess what’s one they’re going to pick?
I’m okay either way. And then you’re smiling. When parents are smiling, kids are thinking.

The accountability part of this particular tip is where they get to receive the consequences for their choice. Whether it’s positive or unpleasant.

They get to own the consequences. That’s the accountability part. And you don’t bail them out as a parent.

Hopefully, those tips will help you to have a healthier approach to discipline.

https://childupbring.com.ng/ways-to-discipline-a-child/
Re: Positive Ways To Discipline A Child by IniUbom(m): 10:46pm On Mar 26, 2022
Good day gents!!!!
What's the topic again? J\k! R. Kelly once said'he is not an angel, yet no monster'!!! A chill didn't need be beaten! He or she should be brought up with correction+love!!!! Excuse my English, I'm only a fresher oh!♥️����♥️
Re: Positive Ways To Discipline A Child by Skaylite(m): 9:53am On Mar 27, 2022
IniUbom:
Good day gents!!!!
What's the topic again? J\k! R. Kelly once said'he is not an angel, yet no monster'!!! A chill didn't need to be beaten! He or she should be brought up with correction+love!!!! Excuse my English, I'm only a fresher, oh!♥️����♥️

Thank you very much.
Discipline a child does not always mean beating, flogging and so on.

As you have read above, disciplining a child need rules before anything else, so that when they go against the rules they need to face the consequences of their action. And these consequences don't have to be beating or yelling.

Kindly check this link for more info on discipline a toddler
https://childupbring.com.ng/discipline-a-2-years-old-toddler/

(1) (Reply)

Tokunbo Volvo Truck 2005 For Sale / How many schools will Lagos state etc shut down? The children are not to blame! / Episiotomy Again?........hell No!!!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.