Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,745 members, 7,824,146 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:35 AM

Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? (3543 Views)

Funeral Service: Casket HID Awolowo Was Laid In (Photos) / Tokunbo Awolowo Who Presented Flower To Queen Elizabeth In 1956 / Abiola And Awolowo Who Is Greater?. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by Babasessy(m): 8:51am On Jul 03, 2011
Tinubu, Fasoranti, HID Awolowo: Who really is the Yoruba leader?

Indubitably, concern has heightened in the political class among the Yoruba of the South-West, as contention now mars discussions on who should be regarded as the current leader of the Yoruba race, coming after the deaths of Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Chief Michael Ajasin and Chief Abraham Adesanya, respectively.

The demise of former leader of the pan- Yoruba socio-political group, Afenifere, who also doubled as leader of Yoruba race, Pa Abraham Adesanya, in 2008, almost terminated the effectiveness and influence of the group and the race. Reason: There was a ferocious and unprecedented succession battle to fill the vacuum. This was influenced by politicians who were dogged in their resolve to hijack the leadership of the revered group for political reason.

Worse still was the ill-health that characterised the last days of Adesanya who could not assert himself on his purported choice of who should succeed him. The late National Democratic Coalition (NADECO) chieftain was said to have chosen Ondo State-born Chief Rueben Fasoranti as the Acting Leader. But while all seemed quite well as Adesanya was alive, the centre could no longer hold after his death on that fateful Sunday, April 27, 2008, as those opposed to his choice of successor soon raised their voices against Fasoranti. Those opposed to the choice of Fasoranti said it was against the tradition of the group to have an acting leader.

To them, what the constitution of the group provides for is the office of the Deputy Leader. Those in this category included Chief Abdulkareem Adebisi Akande, Chief Olusegun Osoba, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Chief Bisi Akande, among others. “The post of acting leader is alien to the constitution of Afenifere”, Akande said. But the likes of Sir Olaniwun Ajayi, Pa Ayo Adebanjo, the late Alhaji Ganiyu Dawodu, Alhaji Adegbenga Kaka, Prof. Femi Okuronmu and Chief Supo Sonibare agreed with the arrangement.

The rivalry later polarised the group into two factions which led to the emergence of two leaders; Fasoranti heading one while Senator Ayo Fasanmi led the other. Immediate past Ogun State governor, Gbenga Daniel, was believed to be in support of Fasoranti, while Fasanmi was said to have been sponsored by the Tinubu group. On Thursday, November 20, 2008, a faction of the group loyal to Fasoranti gathered at the Ijebu-Igbo residence of the late Pa Adesanya where Fasoranti was claimed to have been made substantive Afenifere leader.

It would be recalled that there is a pronounced acrimony between Tinubu, who is a leader of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) and former Lagos State governor, and Daniel, who during the crisis was Ogun State governor and an arrowhead of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the South-West.

Those within the Tinubu camp are majorly former governors of the geo-political zone who believe that former President Olusegun Obasanjo of the PDP deceived them into a pact with them but later swept the carpet off their feet which made them lose their bid to return to office in 2003. They still hold that against Obasanjo, Daniel and other PDP governors who were beneficiaries of their misfortune. The division among the two groups led to the emergence of Afenifere Renewal Group, an interventionist group; that sprung up to save the situation. But soon after that, some notable Yoruba leaders converged on the Ikenne, Ogun State residence of the late sage, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, to broker peace within the Afenifere.

The meeting, which was chaired by the matriarch of the Awo dynasty, Chief (Mrs.) HID Awolowo, came up with a new name for the group, Yoruba Legacy Forum. As a follow-up to the meeting last year, Mrs. Awolowo called on both Tinubu and Daniel to see her for a meeting in Ikenne, but rather than attending at the same time so the real peace initiative could be brokered, the duo went at different times, hence, the initiative was stalemated. This continued until the April general election when Tinubu’s ACN won overwhelmingly in the South-West to the disadvantage of the PDP and Daniel in particular. Daniel at that time was losing the control of the party in his Ogun State.

In fact, the pressure became so much that he had to abandon the party for Peoples Party of Nigeria (PPN). At the end of the day, he failed in his attempt to choose a successor. He also failed to run for the Senatorial election in which he had so much indicated interest. Tinubu’s ACN gained the control of Ogun State. The ACN, after the April poll now controls five out of the six states in the South- West, leaving the Labour Party with one state. Specifically, the ACN won the governorship election in Ogun, Oyo and Lagos. The party is also in power in Osun and Ekiti, where the governorship election was not held.

The Labour Party is in charge of Ondo, leaving the PDP with nothing. Apart from producing the state governors, ACN members from the zone now dominate the states’ legislature and the Southwest representation at the National Assembly. This victory of the ACN has, therefore, heightened the clamour for the recognition of the Tinubu-led faction as the authentic group to lead the Yoruba race. Since age is no longer on Fasanmi’s side and given the fact that Tinubu perhaps, single-handed, plotted and sponsored the PDP’s defeat in the South-West, he is now being touted in some quarters as the new Yoruba leader. But this proposal is not without criticism in some quarters.

Those against it are of the opinion that Yoruba leaders emerge naturally; hence, Tinubu should not put himself forward for the office. It would be recalled that when Awolowo emerged the leader of Afenifere and by extension, the undisputable leader of Yoruba, he was neither the oldest nor the richest man within the group. He emerged naturally and was unanimously accepted. Within the group, there were older people like the late Pa Emmanuel Alayande and even his deputy, late Chief Michael Ajasin. Awolowo directed the affairs of the group politically, socially and economically till his demise in 1987 at the age of 79. Just automatically, the late Pa Ajasin became his successor before his demise. So, when Pa Ajasin passed on, a very vibrant person with guts was needed as a successor because the political terrain had become deadlier than envisaged.

So, it was at a well-attended Yoruba Assembly in Ibadan in 1998, that the late Senator Abraham Adesanya was unanimously proclaimed Yoruba Leader through popular acclamation, while the late Cicerio of Esa-Oke, Chief Bola Ige became his deputy. Adesanya was chosen for his courage, honesty, forthrightness and humility, among other leadership qualities embedded in him. But, Tinubu at different fora has denied being in the race with Daniel for the top position, but without hiding the fact that if Yoruba people call on him, he would be more than ready to lead them.

“I am not at any race or contest for Yoruba leadership with Otunba Gbenga Daniel. No. The people will choose their leaders. I am an AC leader, he is a PDP governor; we are in no contest of any kind. If the Yoruba need a leader, we have some older people who are credible and capable, who can lead us. And if they say, yes, it is Bola Tinubu, I will take the challenge. But I am not thinking of campaigning to be leader of any ethnic group or spokesperson of the group or being in contest in a partisan situation.”

He equally denied playing any untoward role in the weakening of Afenifere. “I am proud that they see me as influential, and powerful to influence our people; enough to weaken retrogressive ideas, to weaken ideas that are not consistent with the yearnings of our people for change and the development of our people, to wipe out poverty; to start to care for the sick and the infants, to start to put our educational standard in a better perspective.

Not to deceive the public, but to perform to the admiration of the public. If the public now respects and believes in me, I have no apology for that because they see me as sincere and committed”, he told a national newspaper recently in an elaborate interview. Former governor of Osun State, Olagunsoye Oyinlola believes that, “Yoruba people have very high standard with which they measure who their leader would be. Anyone who will lead the Yoruba must tower above everybody in honesty, industry and integrity. Anyone who wants to be Yoruba leader must be beyond suspicion. His roots, education and his work history must be known.

The Yoruba must know where he is coming from. Those who spearheaded the emergence of Awo as Yoruba leader were not even from his political camp. It is works, personality and integrity that threw him up. Time will tell if another Awolowo will emerge”. Senator Okurounmu says that apart from saying that the circumstances on ground cannot produce decent leaders for now in Yorubaland, Okurounmu listed what anybody who aspires to lead should be able to explain to the people: his background, level of morality and level of commitment to Yoruba cause, among others.

As for former presidential candidate and Democratic Peoples Alliance (DPA) chieftain, Chief Olu Falae, Yoruba leaders emerge naturally and that, what qualifies one is not money, or the political office that one has held. He harped on “maturity, consistency in projecting and protecting the Yoruba cause”. While aligning with the qualities that a Yoruba leader should possess, both former Deputy Governor of Lagos State, Senator Kofoworola-Bucknor Akerele and ACN chieftain, Senator Tony Adefuye, maintained that the leadership of the race is not vacant. They told Sunday Mirror in separate interviews that Mrs. Awolowo is the current leader of the race, and that she’s performing the role effectively.
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by dayokanu(m): 9:48am On Jul 03, 2011
Tinubu!!!
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by Rgp92: 11:03am On Jul 03, 2011
GEJ is the leader of Yoruba people and Nigeria people. Love him or hate him, he is our president  grin grin

Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by Afam4eva(m): 11:05am On Jul 03, 2011
+1
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by skullbaba: 11:54am On Jul 03, 2011
rpg next time talk with sense. Every ethnic has a leader and tinubu is one for the yoruba. Yoruba will never accept gbenga daniel or obasanjo as leader
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by Rgp92: 12:11pm On Jul 03, 2011
skullbaba:

rpg next time talk with sense. Every ethnic has a leader and tinubu is one for the yoruba. Yoruba will never accept gbenga daniel or obasanjo as leader

Stop it already! GEJ is our leader! not Tinubu or whatever. GEJ is the leader of Nigeria, this also make him the leader of all ethnic groups in Nigeria! cheesy

Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by Musiwa42: 12:18pm On Jul 03, 2011
how can an ijaw man be the leader of yoruba ,  are sick in the head, 

how can tinubu a drug dealer be the leader of the yorubas. are you sick in the brain.

[img]http://dummidumbwit.files./2010/10/pariscrackhead.jpg[/img]

[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_m_Ib7hrR4aIa88AHjllOWEYoviAhWDMIGNKD_G328T7qgn3peA[/img]
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by Rgp92: 1:13pm On Jul 03, 2011
Musiwa,.:

how can an ijaw man be the leader of yoruba ,  are sick in the head, 

how can tinubu a drug dealer be the leader of the yorubas. are you sick in the brain.

[img]http://dummidumbwit.files./2010/10/pariscrackhead.jpg[/img]

[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_m_Ib7hrR4aIa88AHjllOWEYoviAhWDMIGNKD_G328T7qgn3peA[/img]

Yoruba people really need to get this into their head, GEJ IS OUR LEADER!! HE IS THE LEADER OF NIGERIA NOT TINUBU!! HE IS YOUR LEADER! Cry all you want, but that wont change the fact that the many yorubas voted for GEJ for president grin grin grin
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by Mynd44: 2:50pm On Jul 03, 2011
^^^
WTF what have you been smoking or drinking?
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by seanet02: 3:51pm On Jul 03, 2011
Tinubu is the man!
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by youngmonie: 3:59pm On Jul 03, 2011
TO me ohhhh!!!! Fine people may talk about HID or fasoranti or anybody!!, None of them have or had the poilitcal will and might to have doen whta tinubu did. After the death of Bola Ige and my great Uncle (Abraham Adesanya), AFENIFERE died along with them, we then have a divided group with some of our so called elders kissing the ass of certian politicians and not standing up for the truth!!, talk about the Ooni of IFE, there is enot differnce between him and obj together with some other so called respected monarchs
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by Katsumoto: 5:07pm On Jul 03, 2011
Organising meetings with irrelevant leaders does not make you a leader of the Yoruba people. By virtue of the recent elections, Tinubu has more claim to the title even though he is not a leader in the mould or character of other leaders such as Awo, Ajasin, and Adesanya. Afenifere died with Adesanya; Afenifere in its current form is unable to effect leadership at the local government levels, talkless of the State and National levels.
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by OAM4J: 9:30pm On Jul 03, 2011
IMO, a True Yoruba leader is yet to emerge. Definitely not Fasoranti or HID Awolowo.

Tinubu, though the leading contender at the moment still doesnt command the respect and followership of majority of Yorubas

IMO, ACN success in the SW in the last election has more of Fasola factors on it than Tinubu leadership.
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by EkoIle1: 9:35pm On Jul 03, 2011
OAM4J:

IMO, a True Yoruba leader is yet to emerge. Definitely not Fasoranti or HID Awolowo.

Tinubu, though the leading contender at the moment still doesnt command the respect and followership of majority of Yorubas

IMO, ACN success in the SW in the last election has more of Fasola factors on it than Tinubu leadership.

And who is Fashola without Tinubu?

Whose leadership and vision gave us Fashola?
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by dayokanu(m): 9:39pm On Jul 03, 2011
Oamj,

Contrary I think it had more to do with tinubu than fashola, without Tinubu Aregbe and fayemi won't win cos they contested elections same time as Fashola, it was the victory that gave ACN the needed momentum

Remove tinubu and I can tell you PDP would have won all SW state Fashola doesn't even have the clout to wetin the ACN ticket in Lagos until Tinubu imposed him OBJ would hve ensured Obanikoro won
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by aljharem3: 9:40pm On Jul 03, 2011
OAM4J:

thank you
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by aljharem3: 9:42pm On Jul 03, 2011
dayokanu:

Oamj,

Contrary I think it had more to do with tinubu than fashola, without Tinubu Aregbe and fayemi won't win cos they contested elections same time as Fashola, it was the victory that gave ACN the needed momentum

Remove tinubu and I can tell you PDP would have won all SW state Fashola doesn't even have the clout to wetin the ACN ticket in Lagos until Tinubu imposed him

dayo trust me tinubu does not command any respect in the SW lagos nigeria

it is because of fashola people even think of ACN i tell u

DK lets not decieve ourselves for once, ACN commands respect today because of Fashola
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by Katsumoto: 9:46pm On Jul 03, 2011
OAM4J:

The plaudits or criticisms always go to the top and never to the leuitenants or captains. For instance, the CEO is either is blamed for the failure or praised for the success of an enterprise. Do you think people invest in Apple because of Steve jobs or because of the technocrats who design and build? Credit always goes to the individual who provides the platform.
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by dayokanu(m): 9:51pm On Jul 03, 2011
alj_harem:

dayo trust me tinubu does not command any respect in the SW lagos nigeria

it is because of fashola people even think of ACN i tell u

DK lets not decieve ourselves for once, ACN commands respect today because of Fashola

How did people know about Fashola I, can tell you that without Tinubu Fashola can't even defeat Gbajabiamila in surulere

Without Tinubu, there won't be a Fashola

It was Tinubu that made Aregbe and Fayemu win not fasola

Lets give credit to whom its due
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by Pukkah: 10:17pm On Jul 03, 2011
@dayokanu, you've made valid points. The credit goes to Tinubu.

In terms of influence, Tinubu stands taller than any other person. Love him, hate him, this does not change the facts. This is not about emotions or subjectivity.

And who says Tinubu is not loved among the masses?
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by OAM4J: 10:19pm On Jul 03, 2011
dayokanu:

Oamj,

Remove tinubu and I can tell you PDP would have won all SW state Fashola doesn't even have the clout to wetin the ACN ticket in Lagos until Tinubu imposed him OBJ would hve ensured Obanikoro won

I respect Tinubu's foresight and I for one thank him for insisting that Fashola was the right man for the job in 2007. I didn't support Fashola then cos i didn't like the way he was forced on the party. I supported Jimi Agbaje. But today am glad Fashola won, and It is also the reason i didn't so criticize the lack of proper primaries in ACN during the last election. I am also glad Tinubu fought PDP out of SW. I am not denying him his due credit. It is the reason I also said he is the leading contender.

But to me, he is yet to emerge as the True Yoruba leader. He still has a long way to go,  to be a Yoruba leader is more than just winning elections. Let's compare notes in 2005 or 2009. Too early to anoint him as the Yoruba leader IMO.

Katsumoto:

The plaudits or criticisms always go to the top and never to the leuitenants or captains. For instance, the CEO is either is blamed for the failure or praised for the success of an enterprise. Do you think people invest in Apple because of Steve jobs or because of the technocrats who design and build? Credit always goes to the individual who provides the platform.

You example holds true until the world come to identify a particular lieutenant as the brain box behind apple. And if he should move out of Apple and start his own company, you guess is as good as mine as to what will happen to many of the Apple customers that know him and his new company.

For instance if there is a  free and fair election for a SW Premier today btw Fashola and Tinubu. Can you bet on Tinubu wining Fashola ?
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by OAM4J: 10:28pm On Jul 03, 2011
dayokanu:

How did people know about Fashola I, can tell you that without Tinubu Fashola can't even defeat Gbajabiamila in surulere

Without Tinubu, there won't be a Fashola

It was Tinubu that made Aregbe and Fayemu win not fasola

Lets give credit to whom its due

Politics is dynamics. How powerful was Tinubu in 1999 politically?

Am not denying Tinubu's credit in putting forward Fashola in 2007. I have said that much in my earlier post.

But this is 2011. Can you still say Fashola is nobody politically?

Yes Tinubu helped Aregbe and Fayemi won their elections. But You cant rule Fasola's testimony in Lagos as being a plus to Amosun and Ajimobi's recent victories.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by cdoffx(m): 10:32pm On Jul 03, 2011
The problem of Nigeria is getting more clearer even when within an ethnic group there is rivalry,what then shall we say of Nigeria as a whole with over 300 ethnic groups. God bless Nigeria my fatherland. Though i'm a Yoruba but i'm first of all a Nigerian
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by dayokanu(m): 11:24pm On Jul 03, 2011
Oamj,

If there was a free and fair election in the SW today for premier, Tinubu would beat Fashola hands down, Fashola is a technocrat and not a politician, only office people would vote Fashola and what percentage of the voting population are these people, BAT is a grass root man and dont under estimate the power of the people look at Adedibu and Saraki as example
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by EkoIle1: 12:54am On Jul 04, 2011
OAM4J:

I respect Tinubu's foresight and I for one thank him for insisting that Fashola was the right man for the job in 2007. I didn't support Fashola then cos i didn't like the way he was forced on the party. I supported Jimi Agbaje. But today am glad Fashola won, and It is also the reason i didn't so criticize the lack of proper primaries in ACN during the last election. I am also glad Tinubu fought PDP out of SW. I am not denying him his due credit. It is the reason I also said he is the leading contender.

But to me, he is yet to emerge as the True Yoruba leader. He still has a long way to go,  to be a Yoruba leader is more than just winning elections. Let's compare notes in 2005 or 2009. Too early to anoint him as the Yoruba leader IMO.

You example holds true until the world come to identify a particular lieutenant as the brain box behind apple. And if he should move out of Apple and start his own company, you guess is as good as mine as to what will happen to many of the Apple customers that know him and his new company.

For instance if there is a  free and fair election for a SW Premier today btw Fashola and Tinubu. Can you bet on Tinubu wining Fashola ?

The obvious fact is, everything the SW is enjoying right now including their new sense of pride and brighter future from Lagos state all the way to Osun state transpired only because of one man and the man;s name is Bola Tinubu, his print is on everything.

Fashola has Lagos state to manege, to showcase his talents as an administrator because one man not only applied his good wisdom and great sense of judgment by placing Lagos state and it's future in Fashola's hands, Tinubu fought and risked his life to save Lagos, he shielded Lagos from the incompetent people we have running the country.

And going by your judgment, if he did not fight OBJ and the PDP to keep Lagos state, there wont be any Fashola and Lagos state to floss with across the rest of the SW as a barometer for good and progressive governance.

If Tinubu did not instituted the the most sophisticated and efficient tax collection system in Nigeria, there wont be any money for Fashola to execute many of the things we admire him for.

One man is making things happen all over the SW and the man's name again is Bola Tinubu, he's the main shield protecting the people of the SW against the PDP and other poachers in Nigeria.

Lastly, please list the criteria or requirements enshrined in the invisible Yoruba constitution needed to determine who is qualified or not to be the leader of the Yoruba people.

Tinubu is doing his job and cleaning everybody's clock regardless of all the Yoruba leader talk, the man is yet to ask any soul in Yorubaland to call him anything beyond Asiwaju Bola Tinubu.

These relics holding meetings all over the place with silly names like Yoruba legacy or elders forum including the Awo family are obviously jealous of the man, they are all protecting their little PDP gravy trains.

The people of the SW spoke loudly with their votes during the last election, they placed their trust in Tinubu an d ACN's hands, Tinubu lead the Yoruba people to victory, the people of the SW know who their leader and they've already asked him to lead.
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by OAM4J: 1:37am On Jul 04, 2011
^^I can not fault many of the things you wrote. Fact is I agree with most of them apart from few I consider as exaggerations.

But my take is that it is still too early to crown Tinubu or anyone as Yoruba leader.
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by EkoIle1: 2:20am On Jul 04, 2011
OAM4J:

^^I can not fault many of the things you wrote. Fact is I agree with most of them apart from few I consider as exaggerations.

But my take is that it is still too early to crown Tinubu or anyone as Yoruba leader.

I'd love for you to highlight the exaggerations.

Now, who determines who should be the Yoruba leader and when is the right time?

I also asked you to list the requirements according to the Yoruba constitution.

Again, talking about right time is absolutely redundant since the people of the SW unanimously spoke loudly by by giving Tinubu their love and support during the last election.

We both know the deal, you and the so called relics called the Yoruba this and that think it's their duty to tell us who to call our leader which to me sounds a lil pointless and ridiculous, that obligation rest with the people of the SW and they've picked their leader, and if I might add, the people of the SW saw these folks and their PDP backers before picking Tinubu and the ACN, they didn't do it blindfolded, they did it by listening to Tinubu, by appraising his capabilities as a leader, by judging his accomplishments in recent years and his selfless and fearless attitude and commitment to the people of the SW.

Lastly, Awolowo is dead, his wife is and has never been anybody's leader, the same PDP goons he's been following the ones making decisions for the 96 year old woman.

You can not get any soul in Nigerian capable of filling Awolowo's mold simply because times have change, politics during Awo's time is not the same like today's, all that died with Awolowo, but we still have to move on, this silly idea of who should be our leader based on this and that is nothing but a silly distraction orchestrated by the same crooked and corrupt folks that sold us out and thanks for Tinubu, we got rid of all of them.

The fact that the same clowns are now telling us who to call Yoruba leader is sounds very laughable.
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by OAM4J: 2:59am On Jul 04, 2011
@Eko Ile

Ultimately the people will decide who is their leader. Most prominent leaders have always emerged naturally with the large followership and good will of the people they command.

But concluding the SW people have chosen Tinubu base on the last election might be an exaggeration. More than anything the SW people were tired of PDP and wanted a change.

It will be difficult to decide how many people voted for ACN because they love Tinubu or voted because they expect the ACN Governors will perform like Fashola  or voted because they just wanted PDP out at all cost.
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by EkoIle1: 3:20am On Jul 04, 2011
OAM4J:

@Eko Ile

Ultimately the people will decide who is their leader.
Most prominent leaders have always emerged naturally with the large followership and good will of the people they command.

But concluding the SW people have chosen Tinubu base on the last election might be an exaggeration. More than anything the SW people were tired of PDP and wanted a change.

It will be difficult to decide how many people voted for ACN because they love Tinubu or voted because they expect the ACN Governors will perform like Fashola  or voted because they just wanted PDP out at all cost.

And I'm telling you that the people of the SW have decided. Saying the people of the SW picked Tinubu and the ACN because they were tired of the PDP sounds a little off simply because ACN and the PDP were not the only political parties in the SW, the Labor party and others were there and they picked Tinubu and the ACN and if I might add, the Labor party won in Ondo state. I just don't know why you're trying so hard to deny the obvious, were you not alive during the elections?

It really doesn't matter how you cut and dice it, Tinubu wins simply because both Tinubu engineered both scenarios you are peddling, his prints is on everything from Lagos and Fashola all the way to Osun, the SW's presence at the Assembly in Abuja and  beyond, Tinubu remains the driving force.

You're yet to list the main requirements for selecting Yoruba leaders and also, when is the right time.

Btw what's the meaning of the natural selection thing you keep repeating? How else do you select a leader? In some fake, synthetic or factory manufactured way?

Just what?
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by OAM4J: 3:33am On Jul 04, 2011
Eko Ile:

And I'm telling you that the people of the SW have decided. Saying the people of the SW picked Tnubu and the ACN because they were tired of the PDP sounds a little off simply because ACN and the PDP were not the only political parties in the SW, the Labor party and others were there and they picked Tinubu and the ACN and if I might add, the Labor party won in Ondo state. I just don't know why you're trying so hard to deny the obvious, were you not alive during the elections?

It really doesn't matter how you cut and dice it, Tinubu wins simply because both Tinubu engineered both scenarios you are peddling, his prints is on everything from Lagos and Fashola all the way to Osun, the SW's presence at the Assembly in Abuja and  beyond, Tinubu remains the driving force.

You're yet to list the main requirements for selecting Yoruba leaders and also, when is the right time.

I do not know of any Yoruba constitutional requirements for leadership. Afenifere and its constitution died with Pa Adesanya. I can only give my opinion, which i already gave.

OAM4J:

@Eko Ile

Ultimately the people will decide who is their leader. Most prominent leaders have always emerged naturally with a large followership and good will of the people they command.

As per the timing, It will be when it becomes obvious. For me. Tinubu's leadership of Yoruba people is not obvious yet. But then that is my opinion.
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by Musiwa42: 3:38am On Jul 04, 2011
you people are not serious.
Re: Tinubu, Fasoranti, Hid Awolowo: Who Really Is The Yoruba Leader? by EkoIle1: 4:02am On Jul 04, 2011
OAM4J:

I do not know of any Yoruba constitutional requirements for leadership. Afenifere and its constitution died with Pa Adesanya.  I can only give my opinion, which i already gave.

As per the timing, It will be when it becomes obvious. For me. Tinubu's leadership of Yoruba people is not obvious yet. But then that is my opinion.

I'm glad you attributed that to your personal opinion.

To tell you the truth, there was no constitution guiding any kind of leadership selection. In any political situation or human struggle, there's always a leader. In his days, Awolowo lead the SW west and in 2011, Tinubu is not only leading, he led the SW to victory, so what's your point?

Like you said about your personal opinion, it's ok for you nurse whatever view/s about leadership in the SW, but the people of the SW gave that responsibility to Tinubu same way they gave it to Awolowo back in his time.

There is nothing like timing when it comes to leadership, it's either you have it or you don't. Leadership is not something that you put on the shelf and retrieve like a box of candy, you need leaders to make decisions, you need leaders to guard and protect you, you need a leader to fight on your behalf and protect your interests.

The SW was able to get rid of the PDP and claim nearly all the legislative seats in the SW because one leader stood up to fight, strategize and win on behalf of his people. Same way the same leader risked his life by standing up and fighting the same evil forces to secure Lagos state for the people of the SW.

Obviously, we have a leader, all our recent gains didn't transpired simply because we are Yoruba people or because the PDP let us slide, it's because one man was in the front leading, planning and fighting for his people and till this very second, he's not only winning, he's yet to make any decision that's detrimental to the people of the SW.

Yours is an opinion, but the facts available to the people of the SW can ever be described or labeled personal opinion.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Efcc Moves To Legalise Plea-bargaining / Why Do We Still Have The Arabic Inscription On Our Higher Currency Notes? / Military Not With Buhari’s Certificate (s).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.