Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,084 members, 7,821,743 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia (4163 Views)

Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland / History Of Ikwerre, Ekpeye, Ogba People In Rivers State By Prof. Eric Amadi / Ekpeye Masquerade Festival In Rivers State (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by SlayerForever: 3:36pm On May 26, 2022
CeoMYN:

Omoku dey well o. What of your side?

Unknown gunmen. But we good.
Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by Nobody: 3:42pm On May 26, 2022
SlayerForever:

Unknown gunmen. But we good.

Make una dey all right. Anambra was very peaceful when I came around 2018 and 2019.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by ThankGodFriday(m): 3:58pm On May 26, 2022
CeoMYN:

No. Our history says we are from Benin. Nothing less.

You're Igbo who was part of the Benin Kingdom just like the Delta Igbo people

1 Like

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by Nobody: 3:59pm On May 26, 2022
ThankGodFriday:

You're Igbo who was part of the Benin Kingdom just like the Delta Igbo people

Who "was"...

Oga, I no be Igbo. I am Ogba.

1 Like

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by Phut(f): 7:58pm On May 26, 2022
CeoMYN:

You will not define who we are. We are a separate ethnic group. It doesn't change our origin. You should be condemning the mischievous elements behind this nonsense. I have been very angry since I read this.

If they descended from Akalaka or adopted a Prince named Akalaka, then I will have you know that Akalaka is an Igbo name. It means: That which is etched/written. Akalaka is also used to denote - that which is destined. I should know, Akalaka is my male cousins, name.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by Phut(f): 8:03pm On May 26, 2022
donbachi:
hit head for wall....akalaka migrated to a place from benin and abandoned his father's original language for ibo...which betrayal reach dat.
Akalaka is an Igbo name. It means that which is etched/written. It is also used to denote, that which is destined. That is my cousins name.

1 Like

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by Nobody: 8:40pm On May 26, 2022
Phut:

If they descended from Akalaka or adopted a Prince named Akalaka, then I will have you know that Akalaka is an Igbo name. It means: That which is etched/written. Akalaka is also used to denote - that which is destined. I should know, Akalaka is my male cousins, name.

Oga, our Akalaka is from Benin. I don't know about your own. It's my culture and history.

2 Likes

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by ResidentSnitch(f): 11:37pm On May 26, 2022
CeoMYN:

Who "was"...
Oga, I no be Igbo. I am Ogba.
What does 'Ogba' mean in your language?
Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by SHINJA: 4:16am On May 27, 2022
Igbo's and dem wahalaa

1 Like

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by Nobody: 7:56am On May 27, 2022
ResidentSnitch:

What does 'Ogba' mean in your language?

Ogba is Ogba. smiley smiley smiley
Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by ResidentSnitch(f): 8:02am On May 27, 2022
CeoMYN:

Ogba is Ogba. smiley smiley smiley
What is the meaning in English?
Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by Nobody: 8:13am On May 27, 2022
ResidentSnitch:

What is the meaning in English?

Oga, Ogba na Ogba.
Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by ResidentSnitch(f): 8:26am On May 27, 2022
CeoMYN:
Oga, Ogba na Ogba.
Ok... For a second back there I thought you were serious with your topic.
Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by Nobody: 8:39am On May 27, 2022
ResidentSnitch:

Ok...
For a second back there I thought you were serious with your topic.

You are funny. I'm serious with my topic. I am Ogba.
Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by AreaFada2: 11:22am On May 27, 2022
ChebeNdigboCalm:

As a person passionate about history, I find it odd that someone is arguing about Igbo and Yoruba historians forcing “imagination story on people” when that is in essence what the Oba’s palace has done for the past few decades. As in the make one declaration after another of lies and the people eat it up. They make claims over the land of others and since they have been hyped as great, people with identity crisis flock to the myths laid out despite overwhelming evidence pointing otherwise. You speak a language of someone, bear the names of someone, bear the titles of someone, bear the clothes of someone, bear the genes of someone but them some old fable of a random bini immigrant is enough to disregard everything else.

Not that I condone this Wikipedia edit.

But I am skeptical of claims of Bini ownership of the coast from Lagos to itsekiri. I am skeptical of claims that Eze chima was infact of bini blood. I am skeptical of claims that random Benin princes unknown until 10 seconds ago founded every settlement.
Well, just because you didn't know doesn't mean that many others didn't know. I grew up surrounded by historians, writers , linguists, journalists and others. In Benin, even morning greetings contain history such as your original family tree. Not good morning like other tribes greet. Ancient songs depict history and events. Royal ceremonies re-enact events from centuries ago. Some by same families from back then. Ceremonial songs dating back centuries are intact. At coronation, an event from 1255 AD, crossing the land bridge, is re-enacted elaborately.

Benin speak up when some want to use modern population politics and tribal nationalism to twist Benin history out of their ignorance. When the Palace now clarifies what our ancient history says about a topic, they say it is a new declaration. In Benin, it is not where one person can use money to buy kingmakers to suddenly become King. Oba of Benin is trained from birth about his role as future king and history. He doesn't just begin making declarations suddenly without solid historical basis and scrutiny.

9ja of today is too tribalistic that most are not open-minded enough to objectively view what is not in favour of their tribe's glory.

In fact left to some, when you mention 9ja, it should only be about Wazobia.

1 Like

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by WhizdomXX(m): 4:03pm On Jun 02, 2022
AreaFada2:

Well, just because you didn't know doesn't mean that many others didn't know. I grew up surrounded by historians, writers , linguists, journalists and others. In Benin, even morning greetings contain history such as your original family tree. Not good morning like other tribes greet. Ancient songs depict history and events. Royal ceremonies re-enact events from centuries ago. Some by same families from back then. Ceremonial songs dating back centuries are intact. At coronation, an event from 1255 AD, crossing the land bridge, is re-enacted elaborately.

Benin speak up when some want to use modern population politics and tribal nationalism to twist Benin history out of their ignorance. When the Palace now clarifies what our ancient history says about a topic, they say it is a new declaration. In Benin, it is not where one person can use money to buy kingmakers to suddenly become King. Oba of Benin is trained from birth about his role as future king and history. He doesn't just begin making declarations suddenly without solid historical basis and scrutiny.

9ja of today is too tribalistic that most are not open-minded enough to objectively view what is not in favour of their tribe's glory.

What's your take on the topic Sir, I assume you are very enlightened on the subject matter. My take is Ekpeye is definitely not Igbo.

1 Like

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by WhizdomXX(m): 4:04pm On Jun 02, 2022
Jameseddi1:

GISTHow The Bini Used And Sold The Igbo as slaves.

Former presidential aide and controversial author, Reno Omokri has narrated the long-standing history between the Binis and the Igbos.

This is coming after a curious fan asked him about a Bini word that sounded like Igbo.

Reno in a long post explained that the Itsekiris and the Binis had Igbo slaves for centuries before British colonialism which brought about the mix of culture as some of the Bini took Igbo-like names and some Igbos also took Bini-like names.

He further added that there are century-old carvings in Ode Itsekiri and Benin depicting Igbo slaves being sold to the Portuguese.

Dear Nonny:

Itsekiris and the Binis had Igbo slaves for centuries before British colonialism. After the British banned slavery, we were forced to set them free. Some of them returned to Igbo land, others remained with us and gradually formed a new language called (an Itsekiri word which we used to call them while they were our slaves). There are about 200,000 still with us. (I will not reveal the name of this tribe called *******, because I do not want to offend them, but they are in Delta state) If they speak, an Igbo person will understand some of what they say, while Itsekiris, Binis and even European Portuguese people will understand them too. Those of them who chose to return to Igbo land have Igbo names that sound like Itsekiri or Benin names, for example Iweka, and many names beginning with Oba or Iken.
That is how some of our names and also Benin names went into the Igbo lexicon. We have century old carvings in Ode Itsekiri and Benin depicting Igbo slaves, which we sold to the Portuguese via our ancient pre colonial port called Ogidigben. The grandfather of the present Oba of Benin showed some of these carvings to the world famous British anthropologist, Sir David Attenborough in 1973. The video is on YouTube. When you see the carving, even you will have no doubt that the person is Igbo. Because of the sheer number of Igbo slaves we sold at Ogidigben, the Portuguese named the town Escravos, which means slave in Portuguese. Till today, many people still call Ogidigben Escravos. We also sold slaves in another town called Burutu, which the Portuguese renamed Forcados (meaning forced labourer, which is a nicer way of saying slaves). Obviously, I am not too proud of this history. I wish it never happened. History is not always pleasant. I am only revealing it to you because you are getting the wrong idea of linkages between our two peoples.

This is Itshekiri claim that it was on of the dependent state of Benin before European arrival to Africa.

Abeg anything about the south history just leave it for Benin.

If I may, does the ******* stand for Ukwuani/Kwale/ndokwa people?
Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by WhizdomXX(m): 4:04pm On Jun 02, 2022
WhizdomXX:

If I may, does the ******* stand for Ukwuani/Kwale/ndokwa people?
Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by ChebeNdigboCalm: 8:14pm On Jun 18, 2022
AreaFada2:

Very right, and you think you are the only ones who have had elaborate ceremonies, songs etc to preserve your history? No. There is no way of verifying nothing. Do you really thinks it makes sense to be like. Yeah, you didnt hear them but we have songs about how we ruled you and created you (even though archaeology shows you are older than us) so regardless that is the truth.
Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by ncheochiagha: 4:04am On Jun 29, 2022
Phut:

That means that we had writing, but people like to claim that we never had writing.

1 Like

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by blackpinkgal: 1:48am On Jul 09, 2023

You will not define who we are. We are a separate ethnic group. It doesn't change our origin. You should be condemning the mischievous elements behind this nonsense. I have been very angry since I read this.

why are you pretending to be ekpeye? Any time I attempt to research on Igbo people or people that are attached to us, you some how are present with a different identity. Go, fast and pray. Your behavior is bizarre and resembles one who is a incel. Get off Nairaland and get help.
Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by Gajagojo: 1:58pm On Dec 18, 2023
Good evening, guys. I just discovered that a group of people are editing the history of Ogba and Ekpeye Kingdom on Wikipedia.
We are not an Igbo sub-group.
Our cultural history and folktales since the days of our fathers vehemently said that we are from Benin.

Please, disregard the Wikipedia pages. I don't know the aims of these mischievous elements.

Lalasticlala Mydn44 anyone should help and push this to the front page.
We know
We see their deceitful behaviour

(1) (2) (Reply)

Any Carnivals In South East Nigeria? / An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians / Igbo Men Casual Attire?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.