Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,237 members, 7,825,919 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 06:25 AM

Nigerians Need To Watch Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Need To Watch Buhari (942 Views)

No One Will Steal Under My Watch – Buhari / Must-watch: Buhari's Town Hall Meeting With Young People (Video) / LIVE! Watch Buhari Exposed On AIT (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Need To Watch Buhari by dblock(m): 6:49am On Aug 05, 2007
Nigerians need to watch Buhari. When a General like Buhari keeps saying that Yar'Adua is not the President, then he obviously isn't letting the issue go.

By saying he does not recognize Yar'Adua, he isn't pointing out that the election was flawed, he is stressing that he wants Yar'Adua out of Office.

Yar'Adua Not President, Says Buhari

FOR the umpteenth time since the disputed April polls, presidential candidate of the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP), Gen. Muhammadu Buhari yesterday vowed not to recognise Alhaji Umaru Musa Yar'Adua as president of the country.

Not even if the ongoing petition at the election tribunal favoured Yar'Adua at the end of the day.

"Never," Buhari stated bluntly. "The presidential election was not properly conducted and there was no election; hence, I will never recognise him (Yar'Adua) as president of this country."

Buhari, noted that the President did not win the April 21 presidential election, hence, he would pursue his petition at the election tribunal in Abuja.

Besides, the former Head of State lamented that the ANPP and its leadership have betrayed the nation and Nigerians by accepting to serve in Yar'Adua's Government of National Unity (GNU), which is yet to be recognised.

Buhari, who made the assertions in an interview with the Hausa Service of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) monitored in Kaduna, noted that the action of the ANPP hierarchy would not deter his legal suit to upturn the declaration by INEC of Yar'Adua as President.

He iterated that he would independently pursue the court case challenging Yar'Adua's election.

Though the ANPP has urged him to agree to a joint suit, he said: "My position was that there should be no discussion between the ANPP and the PDP until after the completion of all the court cases, both at the national and state levels. I made my position known in writing.

"I don't really see any rationale behind their participation in the GNU. Therefore, I regard their acceptance to participate in the GNU as betrayal of the nation and the masses."

On the petition at the tribunal, he said: "Initially, myself and the party have cogent reasons that the elections, particularly the presidential election, were not conducted properly; therefore there was no presidential election at all.

Because of this, I did not speak with Yar'Adua or congratulate him after he was declared as the president. Up till date, I still maintain that I do not agree with the conduct of the election and I don't recognise the position he (Yar'Adua) has been given.

"Besides, there is no reason for me to even speak with him until the completion of all the cases in the courts."

On how he feels about those who drafted him into politics against his earlier decision not to participate in active politics following his release from incarceration in the 1980s, he said:

"I have discovered that the people who drafted me into politics were not sincere after all; they only wanted to use me to get appointments or for their personal aggrandisement and not to serve the nation or the masses."

He affirmed that some people had been putting pressure on him to support Yar'Adua, stating, however, that, "but I've also always told them point blank that I won't recognise him as president."

Buhari disclosed that some of the people coming to solicit his support for the President, used to bring the issue of religion as a basis for such support.

He added that none of the people had told him that Yar'Adua was aware of the mission or even sent them.

"Nobody told me that Umaru Yar'Adua sent him to me to solicit my support. Because all those who came to me know my position in this matter and I will never change my position," he asserted.

He admitted that though they hail from Katsina State and have been kinsmen, their relationship before and after the election has not been cordial.

Said he: "There is no cordial relationship between us. He (Yar'Adua) knows it and he has been saying it. I heard it with my ears. He is in PDP and I am in ANPP. In fact, we are family friends but our relationship has not been cordial.

"I know him from childhood when I was schoolmate to his elder brother, the late Shehu Yar'Adua (may his soul rest in peace).

"We spent eight years both in primary and secondary schools and later we joined the Army and spent over 20 years in service.

He (Shehu Yar'Adua) by the grace of God, became number two man in the country and I later became head of state."

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article05

I don't care How Rigged the elections were, Nigeria has had enough [size=14pt]Coup d'etat[/size]

He should either take the issue to court (Which he already has) or STFU and accept it.

Yar'Adua is only leaving office through a court order, in 2011, in 2015 Or if he dies (God Forbid) or Resigns
Re: Nigerians Need To Watch Buhari by Jakumo(m): 1:40pm On Aug 05, 2007
If Buhari is allowed to rant for a sufficient length of time he may eventually make an open call for the overthrow of the current legitimately elected Nigerian federal government. That is a treasonable offense, as Buhari should know all too well since he locked up scores of the innocent on trumped up treason charges back when he was the military tyrant of Nigeria in the 1980's.

If Buhari were thrown into jail for treason, few Nigerians outside of his immediate family would feel any emotion other than sheer delight and relief at his just returns for the life off bullying sadism he has lead.
Re: Nigerians Need To Watch Buhari by initiator(m): 2:26pm On Aug 05, 2007
As much as i'm begining 2 admire yaradua, we must not loose sight of the fact that his election was FRAUDULENT!

Buhari is a disciplined man and he was candid in his interview.
Re: Nigerians Need To Watch Buhari by saintchux(m): 3:35pm On Aug 05, 2007
What is Buhari's offence now? Most of us will be rude than him.

Remeber ater the election he said that he will not go to court but his party persuaded him, now he went to court and his party want him to withdraw the case.

Buhari's presidnet to me is the best thing that will happen to Nigeria. With him as presidnet there will be nothing like plea bargain for ex-governor's. There will be nothing like N100m bail and 3 surety in like sum.
Do you know how many people that died b/c Lagos - Benin express road is in bad condition and those responsible and walking free and getting plea bargain.
Re: Nigerians Need To Watch Buhari by oberon(m): 6:12pm On Aug 05, 2007
The problem with this country's politics is people like you who fail 2 understand that without justice there can be no real peace if the man feels that he has been robbed of his mandate he has every right to seek redress after spending so much in time and resources to prosecute his ambition you want him to just forget it all?come on we should all be thankful he is going to court and not the bush to start an armed insurrection
Re: Nigerians Need To Watch Buhari by PawPaw3(m): 7:52pm On Aug 05, 2007
Whats the big deal, Abiola said the same thing where is he now.
Re: Nigerians Need To Watch Buhari by dblock(m): 7:00am On Aug 06, 2007
There is nothing wrong with Buhari speaking against the election.

But if he has gone to court and he didn't prove anything, then his continued ranting only arouses suspicion.

If he can justify his statements, through court and it is accepted, then by all means he should continue. But this is not case, the election was concluded Months ago and he hasn't justified anything.

Yes the Election was fraudulent, but we all know that Fraudulent or Impartial Yar'Adua would still have come to power. If he cannot justify why the elections should be rerun, then speaking on the issue should be seen as "Treason. Especially at this point in time.

There are only two ways to approach the Issue. Through Court or by Military Action.

If he has gone through court, which he has, then he must be planning some sort of Military Ordeal.

Let us not forget, that Buhari did not come into office alongside Yar'Adua's Older Brother Legitimately.

Buhari came to office decades ago, through a Coup D'etat. That Coup was probably what Kept Yar'Adua's Brother from becoming Head of State. Buhari is simply Power Hungry.

Buhari cannot question the Legitimacy of the elections, and neither can Atiku or Babaginda.

Buhari is an Hypocrite. All the other Candidates stated that the Election was fraudulent, but they have all ceased, simply because they couldn't justify their statements through court.

Buhari shouldn't have participated in the elections in the First Place.
Re: Nigerians Need To Watch Buhari by denex: 10:04am On Aug 06, 2007
I am beginning to suspect that some people on this thread believe that Buhari actually won the elections. Wonderful!
Re: Nigerians Need To Watch Buhari by champredd(m): 11:16am On Aug 06, 2007
There is nothing that can be done about the past elections, but we can join hands to destroy the faulty British-created electoral system and build a new one instead.
Re: Nigerians Need To Watch Buhari by jaso1(m): 11:37am On Aug 06, 2007
@pawpaw,
You made a silly mistake by relating the issue to of blesses memory Abiola in that manner. how do you expect Buhari to succumb when is opponent accepted that election was flawed? why won't he seek redress? Allow the court to prevail afterall he's never complain of any inadequacy.
Re: Nigerians Need To Watch Buhari by Nobody: 11:48am On Aug 06, 2007
jas_o:

@pawpaw,
You made a silly mistake by relating the issue to of blesses memory Abiola in that manner. how do you espect Buhari to succumb when is opponent accepted that election was flown? why won't he seek redress? Allow the court to prevail afterall he's never complain of any inadequacy.

Na you fly the elections?
Re: Nigerians Need To Watch Buhari by bigspif(m): 5:04pm On Aug 06, 2007
@dblock
Your allegations are baseless man !! As you said he has gone to court and court is yet to conclude ruling on the matter. I dont think Buhari has the might for a coup or any other past military leader. He also has the freedom of speech to express his opinion under any democratic dispensation.
So find another angle of attack (you sure sound like a Buhari hater)
Re: Nigerians Need To Watch Buhari by TayoD(m): 6:07pm On Aug 06, 2007
@topic,

As much as i wouldn't want a Buhari presidency, I must confess he appears to be one of very few principled Nigerians on the scene. In that regard, we need more people like him.
Re: Nigerians Need To Watch Buhari by Nobody: 9:05pm On Aug 06, 2007
perhaps peter obi should have also kept quiet.
Re: Nigerians Need To Watch Buhari by PawPaw3(m): 12:18am On Aug 07, 2007
jas_o:

@pawpaw,
You made a silly mistake by relating the issue to of blesses memory Abiola in that manner. how do you expect Buhari to succumb when is opponent accepted that election was flawed? why won't he seek redress? Allow the court to prevail afterall he's never complain of any inadequacy.
Make you dey read something before you talk. Where did I say Buhari should succumb? Oya show me.
Read my statement again.
Re: Nigerians Need To Watch Buhari by Abeem(m): 12:30am On Aug 07, 2007
TayoD:

@topic,

As much as i wouldn't want a Buhari presidency, I must confess he appears to be one of very few principled Nigerians on the scene. In that regard, we need more people like him.
It is encouraging that for once you did not allow religious sentiment to becloud your sense of reasoning.  This is a sign of good things to come.  And by the way, glad to know that you are not affected by the disaster that plaqued your state.
Re: Nigerians Need To Watch Buhari by dblock(m): 6:51am On Aug 07, 2007
big spif:

@dblock
Your allegations are baseless man !! As you said he has gone to court and court is yet to conclude ruling on the matter. I don't think Buhari has the might for a coup or any other past military leader. He also has the freedom of speech to express his opinion under any democratic dispensation.
So find another angle of attack (you sure sound like a Buhari hater)

He has a freedom of speech, but when his statements are threatening, then it should be perceived as "Treason".

Buhari is an idiot, He has no business in Politics.

If he has achieved nothing in court, then he should let the issue go.

He cannot question the legitimacy of Yar'Adua, when he is one of the people that contributed to the downfall of Nigeria.

Note. The Election was pronounced flawed, by The E.U Monitoring group, because of wide spread Violence and Ballot stuffing. Yar'Adua has committed no crime, and he is the most legitimate person to come to power since Nnamdi Azikwe.
Re: Nigerians Need To Watch Buhari by chidichris(m): 10:29am On Aug 07, 2007
Buhari could be said to be one of the major actors in our backwardness in democracy.
he had his chance to do things right(that is if he is mr.right) as he is claiming, but he did nothing for nigeria.
he was too weak as a president because the much talked about idiagbon was absolutely in control while he was the ceremonial man.
he was overthrown in one of the cheapest coup in the history of nigeria.
he was later compensated with the petrolium trust fund(ptf).
he is not what nigeria need, he shld fall back to his cultural lama training via the deserts.
he is less than a woman and in the real life, i do not know what he want again in aso rock.
he is a distablizer, he shld go and sleep as i can even win him in presidential election in nigeria if they will allow it to be free and fair. maybe he has become wise all of a suden
Re: Nigerians Need To Watch Buhari by dblock(m): 11:57am On Aug 14, 2007
[size=14pt]Tribunal Throws Out Buhari's Motion[/size]

The Presidential Election Petitions Tribunal yesterday struck out the motion brought at the instance of the presidential candidate of All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP), Major General Muhammadu Buhari, seeking to nullify the election of President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua faced multiple motions against his election at the tribunal.

Some of the motions confronting the legitimacy of President Yar'Adua included the ones by ANPP, Arthur Nwankwo of the Peoples Mandate Party (PMP) and All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) filed by Dim Odimegwu Ojukwu. Ojukwu's petition will now be heard on August 23.
Advertise on this site

At yesterday's sitting, General Buhari had, through his counsel, Mike Ahamba (SAN) applied to withdraw the motion seeking to nullify the entire election.

He said he decided to withdraw the motion because of recent developments especially whereby motions were being proliferated.

Presiding judge, Justice James Shobe, who said that the tribunal takes precedence over any other suit with the Supreme Court on vacation, consequently struck out the motion. He, however, advised lawyers to fast-track pre-hearing processes.

The motion had requested the tribunal to enter judgment against the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and all its officials who were sued over the presidential election.

Buhari had hinged the motion on the alleged failure of the INEC and its officials to file replies to the main petition.

Chief Ahamba also vehemently opposed the application by the police for the extension of time within which to file statement of defence, saying it was out of time for the police to come into the matter as the motion was out to frustrate the petition.

He said that he filed an affidavit in opposition of the motion as soon as it was served on him.

He told the court that he had served the process of the court on former president Olusegun Obasanjo, adding that up till yesterday Obasanjo had not protested the mode of service.

On the petition filed by Arthur Nwankwo against the election of President Yar'Adua, counsel to the respondent, Yusuff Ali (SAN) said he was not served with the copy of the petition.

But counsel to the petitioner, E. Edecheme said that he actually served Izinyon in court at the last sitting on Friday.

Edecheme said that he was to effect the service on Wole Olanipekun (SAN) but there was a directive from the senior counsel to receive the process. "(Last) Friday, Izinyon endorsed the copy. As a matter of fact I gave a copy to Kanu Agabi when he requested for one," he said.

Ali insisted that he did not get any service and that when a copy allegedly endorsed by Izinyon was given to him, he quickly spotted an error to the effect that the same process was endorsed on August 19, which is a future date.

He said that the said Friday Izinyon signed the document was very strange to the legal team of Yar'Adua.

He informed the court of a pending motion asking the court to decline jurisdiction and said that he was ready to move the motion.

Hearing in some the motions continue today while some had been adjourned till next week.

President Yar'Adua was declared winner of the April 21 presidential poll by INEC, a situation that caused the petitioners to approach the tribunal to correct what they called a fraudulent exercise.

According to the result declared by INEC, Yar'Adua polled 24,638,063 to beat others including Buhari and former Vice President Atiku Abubakar.

Initially, Buhari said he would not waste time litigating on the election, as a similar effort to upturn Obasanjo's election in 2003 did not produce any result.

But his party, the ANPP insisted that he must join it in the petition. But not long after, Buhari and the ANPP split their petitions at the tribunal.

Also yesterday, tribunal fixed August 23 for hearing in the petition of APGA Presidential candidate, Chief Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu.

In the petition, Ojukwu is asking the tribunal to nullify the April 21 Presidential polls on the grounds that it was not conducted in compliance with the 1999 Constitution.

He also alleged that the declared winners of the polls, President Yar'Adua and his Vice, Dr Goodluck Jonathan, were not qualified to contest, having failed to resign their offices as governors of Katsina and Bayelsa, respectively.

The tribunal, presided over by Justice James Ogebe, specifically fixed Aug. 23, for hearing of two motions, both seeking a dismissal of the petition. The motions were respectively filed by Mr Yusuf Ali (SAN) counsel to Yar'Adua and Jonathan, and counsel to INEC, Chief Kanu Agabi (SAN).

In the motion, they contended that the petition was defective and in clear breach of express provisions of the Electoral Act 2006.

They also said that the petition was not properly constituted on

the ground that the institutions necessary for its just determination were not made parties.

In another development, hearing in the petition of PMP against the election of Yar'Adua and Jonathan was stalled because of problem of service.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that when the petition was mentioned before the tribunal today, Ali said that his clients had not been served with the petition.

The tribunal directed a proper service of the petition on Yar'Adua and Jonathan through their lawyer and adjourned till Aug. 22, for further mention.

The petition was filed by PMP, its presidential candidate, Dr. Arthur Nwankwo and running mate, Alhaji Muhammad Abdullahi.

The petitioners alleged that the April 21 presidential poll was vitiated by non-compliance with mandatory statutory requirements and massive rigging. Consequently, they said, none of the candidates was entitled to be returned.

Source: http://allafrica.com/stories/200708140007.html

HE better not even dream about a Coup.

(1) (Reply)

Yar'adua's Fate To Be Decided On The 26th-possible Outcomes / My Proposal For A New Nigeria - Atlantica / Nasarawa Budgets N18m For Gov’s Lions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.