Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,295 members, 7,836,291 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:14 AM

Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. (14804 Views)

What Are Those Corrupt Habits That Nigerians Have Accepted As Normal? / Easiest Way For Services Of Court Marriage In Lahore & Pakistan (2021) / Top Lawyer For Services Of Court Marriage Procedure In Pakistan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by Okortor: 1:22pm On Mar 30, 2022
Same reason why they don't like paying back their loans.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by Glithronix: 1:22pm On Mar 30, 2022
It is well.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by 1Sharon(f): 1:23pm On Mar 30, 2022
It's black people in general.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by Mrbenny001: 1:24pm On Mar 30, 2022
An average Nigeria is somehow dubious in one way or the other... there's poverty mentality...you think you have to scam or hurt to be rich

4 Likes

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by GloriousGbola: 1:24pm On Mar 30, 2022
tekjansen2:
Because Nigerians are too poor to pay full value for services.

Yes, I learnt something new today.

Nigeria, as a society, is composed of people who want things for free, and who use the poverty and hardship of the nation to try to get free stuff.

Then when the inevitable happens, and we get bad service...

Nigerians are not too poor. A lot of Nigerians can afford to pay but want to see what they can get away with.

8 Likes

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by sematec(m): 1:25pm On Mar 30, 2022
most Nigerians lack discipline
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by Nobody: 1:25pm On Mar 30, 2022
GloriousGbola:

Nigerians are not too poor. A lot of Nigerians can afford to pay but want to see what they can get away with.

And at the end, such attitude is harming us long term.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by Miky91: 1:25pm On Mar 30, 2022
How much is the legal minimum wage... How much do people earn .... People are suffering in this country..... That's why
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by Contekbbc: 1:25pm On Mar 30, 2022
Samson0303:

Guy you're one of the problems youth can never get to the top in this country man. because you don't have focus at all in life.

Forget you come here to post rubbish, that is who you truly have. You just eat, smoke, drink, Bleep and do some dirty works to make money and sleep. No future or focus in life.

This is too much for him now,allow him to catch his cruise.

I now see why you wrote those things up there.
Check yourself,you might be the main issue,not your clients

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by Aremson14(m): 1:25pm On Mar 30, 2022
obonujoker:
Oga, Adopt pay before service even if its half payment... or else na hunger and complain o.... grin
I learnt this the hard way

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by Princeadebayo11(m): 1:25pm On Mar 30, 2022
Samson0303:

Guy you're one of the problems youth can never get to the top in this country man. because you don't have focus at all in life.

Forget you come here to post rubbish, that is who you truly have. You just eat, smoke, drink, Bleep and do some dirty works to make money and sleep. No future or focus in life.
To be sincere I don't know people that normally likes his comment, because they are not even funny to me

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by saintkel(m): 1:26pm On Mar 30, 2022
Samson0303:

u may be wrong....most social media users especially d males post d fake version themselves

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by Olam09(m): 1:29pm On Mar 30, 2022
Samson0303:
I'm a graphics designer and Web developer.

I have worked for many Nigerians, but what I noticed is that when they need the work, their pressures will be on you an be messaging and calling you time to time to followup on their work.

But once you completed and submitted the work to them, the ghost-mode has started, some will stop reading your messages, some will stop picking your calls, some will even goes as far as picking up up fight with you and the worst they'll start posting you for payment, like my bank network is bad, I want to sleep, when I wakeup I'll pay and many silly excuses in order not to pay.

Some people even relate with you very close that, you won't even know how to charge them for some works and you'll expect them to pay you well after deliver their works, but they'll still go ahead and pay peanuts.

Especially people you have being working with for a long time, takes this long time business relationship as Avenue to not pay for some little works. Let's assume you have designed a logo for some and he has paid and he later asked you to render the logo on a bus or brand a car for him, they'll expect you to do that for free, because they've paid you for the logo.

What do you think we can do as servicemen and servicewomen to curb this. This concern almost everyone I expect everyone to say something about this.

Me as a graphic designer and screenprinting I'm very callous.. No money no job and i no dey do neighbors job because I know say dem no go pay.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by pegix(m): 1:32pm On Mar 30, 2022
Because we are a poor nation

Bliv me rich plp.pay when due
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by AgentGoat: 1:32pm On Mar 30, 2022
Spelling your out terms and mode of payment before the work commence is the solution. Although, most of wouldn't do this because they are too desperate for work or lack jobs.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by edosignature(m): 1:32pm On Mar 30, 2022
Only evil minded people will be rendered service's to and they'll still refuse to pay.

It is now a normal for most uninformed & wicked Nigerians to not want to pay for service's rendered.

Samson0303:

I have worked for many Nigerians, but what I noticed is that when they need the work, their pressures will be on you an be messaging and calling you time to time to followup on their work.

But once you completed and submitted the work to them, the ghost-mode has started, some will stop reading your messages, some will stop picking your calls, some will even goes as far as picking up up fight with you and the worst they'll start posting you for payment, like my bank network is bad, I want to sleep, when I wakeup I'll pay and many silly excuses in order not to pay.

Some people even relate with you very close that, you won't even know how to charge them for some works and you'll expect them to pay you well after deliver their works, but they'll still go ahead and pay peanuts.

Especially people you have being working with for a long time, takes this long time business relationship as Avenue to not pay for some little works. Let's assume you have designed a logo for some and he has paid and he later asked you to render the logo on a bus or brand a car for him, they'll expect you to do that for free, because they've paid you for the logo.

What do you think we can do as servicemen and servicewomen to curb this. This concern almost everyone I expect everyone to say something about this.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by illicit(m): 1:33pm On Mar 30, 2022
What of parents that refuse to pay school fees

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by Nobody: 1:34pm On Mar 30, 2022
Samson0303:

You need to collect a huge chunk down payment before you commence the work and try to separate business and friendship. A Nairalander did a logo for me. He asked for half the payment before he started work but I paid him the full fee and I was satisfied with the outcome.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by gentleibraheem(m): 1:34pm On Mar 30, 2022
One of the reasons why we would hardly ever have stable electricity

3 Likes

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by simplesearch: 1:35pm On Mar 30, 2022
You expect people that takes loan from bank and shark agents with the mindset of not paying, to now consider paying you for a low cost job like logo creation and branding. Most of us Nigerians are too greedy and lack the true fear of God. If you have the fear of God, you will pay for whatever service that's rendered to you. This is the same entitlement mentality that makes our politicians steal constituency allocation, security vote and ecological fund, no knowing that all this little little unfaithfulness will be accounted for on the day of judgement.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by kingthreat(m): 1:36pm On Mar 30, 2022
Thing is we believe in the slavery mentality. Many rich people in Nigeria are paying their staff peanuts so they can make maximum profits. Once you are an issue, they change you ASAP.
I have worked for someone from one of the richest families in Nigeria. This woman who married into the family actually tried to cheat me of 100k then. 100k that she spends on a night's dinner, she deemed it unworthy a contractor getting out of it. If I did not know a strong lawyer then who interceded, that is how I would have worked for free.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by Aystarz: 1:39pm On Mar 30, 2022
tekjansen2:
Because Nigerians are too poor to pay full value for services.

Yes, I learnt something new today.

Nigeria, as a society, is composed of people who want things for free, and who use the poverty and hardship of the nation to try to get free stuff.

Then when the inevitable happens, and we get bad service...

Nigerian school owners say 'Hi'

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by Nobody: 1:40pm On Mar 30, 2022
Aystarz:

Nigerian school owners say 'Hi'

Indeed...

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by OgbeniSamm(m): 1:41pm On Mar 30, 2022
Samson0303:

You can't just generalise things because of the experiences you've had with some people. Those people do not make up or represent the entire Nigerians.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by kingyakos: 1:42pm On Mar 30, 2022
Because there's hardly a good services in Nigeria
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by nedekid: 1:42pm On Mar 30, 2022
My policy is pay first and you are given the service.
I have sworn I will never do business where I have to go solicit business. I rather advertise and if you need my service, you call me, we transact over the phone or you come to my office. I will never go visit you to patronize me.
Nigerians are a difficult set, you offer your service without payment in full, story must enter. They would have used the service and see no further reason to pay.
Once you pick your phone to call a Nigerian to patronize you, he sees you finish and feels you are despirate. They start pricing you peanuts.

7 Likes

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by iliyande(m): 1:43pm On Mar 30, 2022
Poverty and Cheating tendency
we need attitudinal change
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by Ijaya123: 1:45pm On Mar 30, 2022
Samson0303:

Nigerians simply have entitlement mentality.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by Efuaye(m): 1:48pm On Mar 30, 2022
Always mark your sample with your brand name or anything that can cross the work lightly.
Never submit your premium or completed work unmarked unless you've been paid in full!
The only other option is to get advanced payment that you know covers your input.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Don't Like Paying For Services. by Cleanworld(f): 1:52pm On Mar 30, 2022
Samson0303:

There's a simple strategy you can apply where clients will pay 80% up front before commencing on the job. Always add your on rules and policy to your business handbills or in the deed of agreement . This will make the non-payer group to seek job elsewhere and you will have your peace of mind. Pronto.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is The Dollar Cell Click A Link And Get A Dollar Real? Pls Share Your Exp. / The Bigger The Butt, The Longer You’ll Live, New Research Shows / What's Your New Year Resolution 2021?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.