Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,826 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:37 PM

Geekbench Will Ban Xiaomi’s Latest Smartphones For Manipulating The Benchmarks - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Geekbench Will Ban Xiaomi’s Latest Smartphones For Manipulating The Benchmarks (597 Views)

TECNO & Easybuy: 0% Interest Offer On Latest Smartphones / Best Processor Ranking And Benchmarks / Iphone 8 Benchmarks - By Far The Most Powerful Phone Ever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Geekbench Will Ban Xiaomi’s Latest Smartphones For Manipulating The Benchmarks by Parachoko: 3:31pm On Mar 30, 2022
The Xiaomi 12 Pro and 12X will soon disappear from Geekbench benchmarks. According to the platform, the Chinese firm manipulates the performance of its smartphones in order to improve its scores.

According to our colleagues from Android Police, Geekbench, the famous benchmarking platform, is about to banish two recent smartphones designed by Xiaomi: the Xiaomi 12 Pro and the Xiaomi 12X. Looking at the benchmark results of both smartphones, the media found that the SoC offered better performance when a benchmarking or gaming application was open.

Conversely, the other applications get restrictions from the Chinese manufacturer. According to the media, Xiaomi has developed several performance profiles, which are activated depending on the applications launched. The Snapdragon 8 Gen 1, which powers the 12 Pro, is significantly less powerful when a gaming application or benchmarking is not open.

When an application like Chrome or Netflix is ​​actively in use by the smartphone, the recorded performance drops by 50%. The results are also different on the Xiaomi 12X, which is content with a Snapdragon 888. The performance gap is less marked, however.

Alerted by the media, Geekbench has pledged to exclude the two smartphones from its database by the end of the week. “It’s disappointing to see another device maker mislead consumers by reducing app performance, but not benchmarking performance. We are investigating which Xiaomi phones have the problem and we will be removing the devices,” Geekbench said in a statement.

These are obviously not the only Xiaomi smartphones to manipulate benchmarks. According to the findings of the founder and president of Geekbench, John Poole, the Xiaomi Mi 11 is also affected. “It looks like Xiaomi is also making performance decisions based on identified apps,” says John Poole on his Twitter account.

To prove his point, he publishes two smartphone benchmarks. “Here are the results from a Xiaomi Mi 11 running Geekbench and running Geekbench disguised as Fortnite. Single-core scores are 30% lower and multi-core scores are 15% lower in the Fortnite version,” the developer points out. In this case, Xiaomi only unleashes chipset performance when a benchmarking app is open.

Note that Samsung has also been the subject of manipulation in recent weeks. Mirroring Xiaomi, the South Korean giant has integrated a software solution capable of restraining or unbridling performance depending on the applications open on its smartphones. The brand then promised the deployment of a fix. We expect that Xiaomi will also do the same.

https://www.gizchina.com/2022/03/29/geekbench-will-ban-xiaomis-latest-smartphones-for-manipulating-the-benchmarks/
Re: Geekbench Will Ban Xiaomi’s Latest Smartphones For Manipulating The Benchmarks by Abfinest007(m): 4:14pm On Mar 30, 2022
Our government will accept these products into these con3
Re: Geekbench Will Ban Xiaomi’s Latest Smartphones For Manipulating The Benchmarks by Nobody: 4:45pm On Mar 30, 2022
Lmao, forget.
Re: Geekbench Will Ban Xiaomi’s Latest Smartphones For Manipulating The Benchmarks by LordJoffrey(m): 5:00pm On Mar 30, 2022
Didn't Samsung do the same
Re: Geekbench Will Ban Xiaomi’s Latest Smartphones For Manipulating The Benchmarks by Younext: 5:09pm On Mar 30, 2022
LordJoffrey:
Didn't Samsung do the same
Atheistandproud you see my point?

As far as Samsung did it, it is Fyn.
Re: Geekbench Will Ban Xiaomi’s Latest Smartphones For Manipulating The Benchmarks by Freelancerx: 5:52pm On Mar 30, 2022
Nawa oh angry
Re: Geekbench Will Ban Xiaomi’s Latest Smartphones For Manipulating The Benchmarks by dboyoji: 6:11pm On Mar 30, 2022
I do not see anything wrong with what Xiaomi did. Most times it is to get better battery performance.
Re: Geekbench Will Ban Xiaomi’s Latest Smartphones For Manipulating The Benchmarks by OneGeek(m): 8:16pm On Mar 30, 2022
dboyoji:
I do not see anything wrong with what Xiaomi did. Most times it is to get better battery performance.
Then why put a high-end chipset in it in the first place? Every brand seems to be doing it, and it's wrong.

Why put the latest chipset in the phone, only to peg its performance back 50% to save battery? Worse still, you won't mention it to anyone?

It now seems like a numbers race which doesn't pay anyone.
Re: Geekbench Will Ban Xiaomi’s Latest Smartphones For Manipulating The Benchmarks by skywalker240(m): 11:05pm On Mar 30, 2022
Hmmm

hmmm
Re: Geekbench Will Ban Xiaomi’s Latest Smartphones For Manipulating The Benchmarks by NotBeenPaid: 3:51am On Mar 31, 2022

Apple was fined $113m for slowing down their phones some years ago.

OnePlus was also caught last year for manipulating benchmark scores.

Huawei was also caught. Samsung isn’t left out either. And Realme too.

“They do this to limit the chip in normal apps and then push it to run at its best only when it’s been tested in benchmarking apps!” Lol.

2 Likes

Re: Geekbench Will Ban Xiaomi’s Latest Smartphones For Manipulating The Benchmarks by shezzii: 7:25am On Mar 31, 2022
Younext:
Atheistandproud you see my point?

As far as Samsung did it, it is Fyn.
Samsung was banned too, their last four years flasgship has been removed from their service
Re: Geekbench Will Ban Xiaomi’s Latest Smartphones For Manipulating The Benchmarks by shezzii: 7:27am On Mar 31, 2022
Abfinest007:
Our government will accept these products into these con3
idiot what's that got to do with our government? Can you read? do you actually understand what happened, before opening your big mouth

1 Like

Re: Geekbench Will Ban Xiaomi’s Latest Smartphones For Manipulating The Benchmarks by Abfinest007(m): 7:31am On Mar 31, 2022
shezzii:
idiot what's that got to do with our government? Can you read? do you actually understand what happened, before opening your big mouth
go clean ur smelling ass n never quote me again bcuz it seems u want 2 drag me to d mud with u but I make sure there will be no mud for u to dance in
Re: Geekbench Will Ban Xiaomi’s Latest Smartphones For Manipulating The Benchmarks by sureinfo: 7:41am On Mar 31, 2022
Na wa o, some brands can be embarrassing sha. Long live those who still keep their reputation intact.
Re: Geekbench Will Ban Xiaomi’s Latest Smartphones For Manipulating The Benchmarks by shezzii: 10:02am On Mar 31, 2022
Abfinest007:
go clean ur smelling ass n never quote me again bcuz it seems u want 2 drag me to d mud with u but I make sure there will be no mud for u to dance in
Stupid Bleep, if you don't understand something then shut the Bleep up, don't open your big mouth and be posting stupid shit.

(1) (Reply)

Barely Used Tecno Spark 6 Urgently For Sale In Lagos Cal/whatsap 09053412647 / Infinix Note 12 VIP Made Top 10 Trending Phones / All You Need To Know About Tiktok Recharge Coins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.