Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,530 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:06 AM

Need Some Help ! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Need Some Help ! (987 Views)

What Sort Of Animal Did This Thing? Please I Need Some Answers / Please I Need Some Romantic Words In Jukun Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Need Some Help ! by Katy86(f): 4:40pm On Jul 04, 2011
Halo,

I would like to learn some edo.
my boyfriend teach me some words sometimes but thats not a good way to learn a language I think exspecially when he is always telling me that it is better to use english because it sound better.

He is even speaking with his own family english most of the time and not his own language. sometimes I think that he is ashamed of his language, but I would really like to know some basics in that language and maybe more.

i met a german woman one day and she told me that she could speak perfect igbo and I was ashamed a little bit because after 6 years with my boyfriend I do not know anything about the language or the culture Huh

when I ask him he tell me little bit but he always tells me that this is not important and even he do not care about all this. I think thats a little bit sad. so I need help from you people to teach me some things about the language and culture of edo people, so I can tell our children something about the other part inside them Wink

maybe you can give me some adresses where I can find something what can help us.

please I do not have time for fighting so haters stay away and people who would like to answer serios please help me Grin
Re: Need Some Help ! by coogar: 4:42pm On Jul 04, 2011
Katy86:

Halo,

I  would like to learn some edo.
my boyfriend teach me some words sometimes but thats not a good way to learn a language I think exspecially when he is always telling me that it is better to use english because it sound better.

He is even speaking with his own family english most of the time and not his own language. sometimes I think that he is ashamed of his language, but I would really like to know some basics in that language and maybe more.

i met a german woman one day and she told me that she could speak perfect igbo and I was ashamed a little bit because after 6 years with my boyfriend I do not know anything about the language or the culture  Huh

when I ask him he tell me little bit but he always tells me that this is not important and even he do not care about all this. I think thats a little bit sad. so I need help from you people to teach me some things about the language and culture of edo people, so I can tell our children something about the other part inside them Wink

maybe you can give me some adresses  where I can find something what can help us.

please I do not have time for fighting so haters stay away and people who would like to answer serios please help me  Grin

where are you from and where is your partner from?
Re: Need Some Help ! by Katy86(f): 4:43pm On Jul 04, 2011
I am from Germany and my partner is from Nigeria.
Re: Need Some Help ! by Katy86(f): 5:22pm On Jul 04, 2011
nobody has some information?

no homepages or books etc?
Re: Need Some Help ! by 9dynasty(m): 5:24pm On Jul 04, 2011
first of all me being from Edo state would say your hubby or boyfriend or whatever he is, has made it clear his origin isn't important-which is wrong of him to say .plus since you want to remind him that he's not German why not try searching google or making friends with any Edo state-indigen well Goodluck you can add jonathan to that
Re: Need Some Help ! by 9dynasty(m): 5:25pm On Jul 04, 2011
first of what part of Edo state is he from ESAN, BINI, AUCHI or the others
Re: Need Some Help ! by Katy86(f): 5:30pm On Jul 04, 2011
bini.
Re: Need Some Help ! by 9dynasty(m): 5:35pm On Jul 04, 2011
i'm not bini but i stay in benin (bini dominated) and i know it a bit what do you want to know about?
or you could ask username
190 for advice-he's very good at it grin grin grin
Re: Need Some Help ! by Katy86(f): 5:38pm On Jul 04, 2011
I said befor only serious people should answer angry
Re: Need Some Help ! by coogar: 5:39pm On Jul 04, 2011
Katy86:

I am from Germany and my partner is from Nigeria.

well. . . . . .since you are german, no one would really expect you to understand the language. if there's going to be any criticism at all, it will be on your partner so you have nothing to worry about. you can learn the language at your own pace if you so wish. . . .there are other things you should worry about other than the language barrier. . . .learn how to cook his native food - and no one will bother you about his language.
Re: Need Some Help ! by Katy86(f): 5:44pm On Jul 04, 2011
why?

is that language so difficult? or does nobody really speak it?

is it a language like latin? a dead language?

if i would live in his country i would like if he learn my language.

and for the food. he cook it very good and he adores cooking it wink
Re: Need Some Help ! by coogar: 5:46pm On Jul 04, 2011
language not difficult but there's no need to learn it unless you want to. . .
learn how to cook his food. . . .he shouldn't be doing it himself. the tradition in africa is that the woman should be in the kitchen.
Re: Need Some Help ! by 9dynasty(m): 5:48pm On Jul 04, 2011
Katy86:

I said befor only serious people should answer angry
i think you've met him already grin cheesy grin well that leaves two option-actually three,. .first ask him to teach you, secondly you can forget about learning his language since he's not bothered about it, third i can try to help you-if you pick third option-what do you want to know about?
Re: Need Some Help ! by Katy86(f): 5:51pm On Jul 04, 2011
i do not know how old you are. the older man here think like that too but we are a younger generation.
my boyfriend really likes to cook his food. thats tradition for him.
he is very excited when he goes to the afro shop and buys what he needs and come back to start his cooking at the weekend.

for other men its the disco and the beer what makes them happy at the weekend , for my boyfriend its the cooking  wink

sure i would like to go it for him. my parents raised me like this but he will not allow me. he needed 2 years until he allow me to wash his clothes  tongue

he allways wanted to do it by himself.
Re: Need Some Help ! by Katy86(f): 9:08am On Jul 05, 2011
where are all the intelligent users in this forum?

Oh, yes I think they are working.

Only workless people are writing shit the whole day grin
Re: Need Some Help ! by femmy2010(m): 9:21am On Jul 05, 2011
Learning more about your bf's culture and language is a gradual thing.
Start by checking for online materials via google.
Best of luck.

(1) (Reply)

I Dont Want A Black Baby Says Black Girl On Youtube!!! / As Seen In Onitsha (photos) / Celestial Shepherd, Abegunde Gathers Men Of God To Pray At Bishop Oyedepo’s Town

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.