Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,904 members, 7,814,061 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:50 AM

Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection (22917 Views)

Soldiers Intercept ₦100 Million Cash Collected By Bandits As Ransom (video) / Sheikh Gumi: Declaration Of Bandits As Terrorists Won’t Change Anything / Zimbabwean Pastor Poisons His Two Daughters To Death Before Killing Himself (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by Shehuyinka: 7:22pm On Apr 02, 2022
Rise in banditry has led to a dramatic increase in sexual and gender-based violence, which was already high due to prevailing cultural norms, in the Northwest says a report by the Centre for Democracy Development (CDD).

The report which is, titled ‘Northwest Nigeria’s Bandit Problem: Explaining the conflict drivers’ obtained by The ICIR also noted that there are around 100 bandits groups constituting between 10,000 and 30,000 militants operating in the region.

It highlighted the historical factors and root drivers of conflict, the identities, motivations, and modus operandi of the bandits, and the role of additional conflict actors such as anti-bandit vigilantes and the federal security forces.

The report also entailed the roles of traditional rulers and institutions, the relationship between bandits and jihadists, the gender dimensions of insecurity in the northwest and the inadequacy of current government efforts to address the conflict.

On the gender dimension of the conflict, the report noted that the rise of banditry has led to a dramatic increase in sexual and gender-based violence, which was already high due to prevailing cultural norms, adding that bandits in the Northwest frequently rape women and capture “war brides” in their raids.

“The conflict has exacerbated the commodification of women, as some families give their daughters (many of whom are still children) to bandits as brides in return for protection.

“Children are also victims of the conflict, both in terms of direct violence and because many become orphans or are forced out of school,” the report noted.

Although women and children have been victims of banditry, they are not entirely passive actors in the conflict.

“Children have joined the bandits as well as Vigilante Group of Nigeria (VGN) and Yan Sakai in large numbers, often against their will. In one bandit outfit, the youngest fighter was nine years old. Some women also work with the bandits, serving as informants, wives, and camp attendants, or, in rarer cases, fighters,” the report read in part.

The report further read that women have also smuggled food and weapons for bandits and will conduct reconnaissance and infiltrate communities disguised as traders or beggars ahead of attacks.

It added that women have also lured victims to their kidnapping; although some are coerced, others do it for financial gains.

“Beyond banditry, some women are involved in criminality in the northwest on their initiative. One of the biggest drug dealers in Sokoto state is a woman known by the name of Mama Jazina,” the report noted.

100 bandit groups, 30,000 militants operating in Northwest
As the highpoint of banditry in Nigeria, the report found that at least 100 bandit groups are operating in the northwest, constituting between 10,000 and 30,000 militants.

Although the bandits are predominantly Fulani, they also include Hausa, Kanuri, and Tuareg, who engage in illegal activity, are adaptable, and wield sophisticated weapons, possibly more than the Nigerian security agencies.

“Some bandits command more than 1,000 fighters, though such groups tend to be loosely organised, granting significant autonomy to sub-commanders, often colloquially called lieutenants.

One former bandit noted that in some groups, lieutenants may even seek their commanders’ permission to form their group once they get enough weapons and fighters. If the commander believes his lieutenant “has demonstrated his courage” then the commander may give his blessing for them to form their own group,” the report stated.
https://www.icirnigeria.org/insecurity-families-give-their-daughters-to-bandits-as-brides-for-protection-cdd/

2 Likes

Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by Flamees(m): 7:29pm On Apr 02, 2022
Normally
It's hausa matter

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by Hector09(m): 7:32pm On Apr 02, 2022
I don't believe this shit

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by Nobody: 7:34pm On Apr 02, 2022
most foolish family ever

1 Like

Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by Totilopussylick(m): 7:45pm On Apr 02, 2022
So it has gotten to this

Bandits really are having the best time of their lives tongue.

Hopefully, the new government won't tolerate this cheesy.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by UselessBuharist: 8:02pm On Apr 02, 2022
Nigeria under Buhari. The meaning of Buhari is failure

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by Lastmankc(m): 8:03pm On Apr 02, 2022
Forget about these bandits stuffs.If buhari will contest for the post of the president again,the north we still vote for him.

107 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by decryptofx(m): 8:03pm On Apr 02, 2022
God help Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by Nbotee(m): 8:34pm On Apr 02, 2022
Hector09:
I don't believe this shit

See this one... Are U jus hearing these stories for the first time?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by STEWpid(f): 12:36am On Apr 03, 2022
So bandits don dey lash the girl?

Chai..

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by nony43(m): 12:37am On Apr 03, 2022
Buhari will handle insecurity, Osibanjo will handle the economy.

Buhari now lives in London.

Aisha Buhari - Dubai

Osibanjo - Voiceless.

62 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by BeeBeeOoh(m): 12:41am On Apr 03, 2022
Alaye fogetam, northern Nigeria is gone

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by tiswell(m): 12:41am On Apr 03, 2022
it is finished!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by spafu(m): 12:44am On Apr 03, 2022
Lol
Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by Prosperous111(m): 12:55am On Apr 03, 2022
And we get president, governor, police, army and navy for this country oh grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by obinnajohnson: 1:01am On Apr 03, 2022
There is a serious problem of banditry in the North. Buhari must ensure he clears this menace that came up during his tenure before he leaves office.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by Ola4lead(m): 1:12am On Apr 03, 2022
Na lie, north is peaceful and its more better than before under their son regime

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by tillaman(m): 1:17am On Apr 03, 2022
Na them they feed these lizards and after they will become Commodores

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by EdwardRandy(m): 1:20am On Apr 03, 2022
Totilopussylick:
So it has gotten to this

Bandits really are having the best time of their lives tongue.

Hopefully, the new government won't tolerate this cheesy.
I swear na bandits dey enjoy this corntree now. E be things my brother.

2 Likes

Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by tnerro1(m): 1:23am On Apr 03, 2022
Na dem sabi, e no concern us from the south side

2 Likes

Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by VPN11(m): 1:25am On Apr 03, 2022
Hausa have been docile for long; but the bandits have been relentless in their cruelty. If the Hausa stand up, insecurity will change address.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 1:39am On Apr 03, 2022
Yewa and Igangan nko?

BeeBeeOoh:
Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by nedekid: 2:12am On Apr 03, 2022
Lastmankc:
Forget about these bandits stuffs.If buhari will contest for the post of the president again,the north we still vote for him.
Walai!
You will hear chants of Sai baba sef undecided

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by fasho01(m): 2:27am On Apr 03, 2022
This is really sad and terrible and just reading it makes me very angry. How did things get this bad Honestly it will not be well with that senile lifeless mannequin of a bandit that is supposed to be at the helm of affairs

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by Dshocker(m): 2:55am On Apr 03, 2022
Can i be God,even if it was for 1hr?

1 Like

Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by Mundulalo: 2:59am On Apr 03, 2022
Women always suffer from ignorant parents

BTW

Can you design a professional flyer with your smartphone??

Paul can.

Design of a flyer costs $8.3 on average. If you can design just 3 flyers daily, you'd be making $750 (over N400,000) monthly.

This is 100% achievable, even a dummy can learn it... And guess what? You can achieve this with JUST your smartphone!

That's not all! I will also teach you how to design:

• Logos
• Book covers
• Album covers
• Create Whiteboard animations and
• Professional Photo Manipulation.

These are high income skills that can feed you for life!

That's not all still! I will also teach you how to:

• Create 3D logos using mock ups.
• Create Professional eBooks with your smartphone.
• Create Professional marketing videos for companies.
Plus a complete gift pack of Graphics Design eBooks worth N19,000.

AND ONE MORE THING!

By the end of the training, you will be issued a Certificate of Completion, which will increase your credentials and give you a new opportunity to secure that amazing job!

For all you stand to gain, this training can be easily priced at 50,000 naira.

However, I have slashed it to 10,000 naira. But, the first 20 people will pay 4,999 naira.

The 21st person will pay 7,500 naira.

When is the class starting?

Saturday, 9th of April 2022.

To reach me, kindly send me a message on WhatsApp via the number below.

Any guarantees?

Yeah, if you don't make more than 10 times of your money with this skill, I will refund you your money with a written apology.

How to get started?

Send me a message on WhatsApp ,
via the number below for account details.

PS.: This is not a Canva design class.

PS. 2: Would you rather exchange 4,999 naira for over 270,000 naira or will you use it to flex today?

Send me a message now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by Davidson1010: 3:11am On Apr 03, 2022
Just remembered how a young girl of 10 years from one of the northern State approached me asking of indomie and in return, have her as I wish.
I smiled and then replied her, I'm a CHRISTAIN,we don't do terrorism and don't take someone's daughter by force.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by eteba(m): 3:44am On Apr 03, 2022
BeeBeeOoh:
...to the dogs!
Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by chiedu7: 3:44am On Apr 03, 2022
The decadence in the North is too much.

In fact nothing good in the North, parasitic in nature

Davidson1010:
Just remembered how a young girl of 10 years from one of the northern State approached me asking of indomie and in return, have her as I wish.
I smiled and then replied her, I'm a CHRISTAIN and we don't do terrorist and don't take someone's daughter by force.
It shows how barbaric the North is

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: Families Give Their Daughters To Bandits As Brides For Protection by kernniejay(m): 4:34am On Apr 03, 2022
Davidson1010:
I smiled and then replied her, I'm a CHRISTAIN,we don't do terrorism and don't take someone's daughter by force.
Why did you have to smile before replying her? That was not a funny matter bro. Someone else would shed tears for her condition.

8 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Police Officer Extorts Man Of ₦‎20k In Lagos, He Claims It's ₦‎50k / Geoffery Mgbada Stoned To Death By VIO Officers, Umahi Orders Investigation / Ritualists Murder 3-Year-Old Girl In Cameroon, Dump Body In A Nearby Bush (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.