Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,027 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

Why Do Christians Not Observe Fasting As Muslims Do - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Christians Not Observe Fasting As Muslims Do (457 Views)

Daddy Freeze: Proverbs, Psalms Not Written By Christians, Not Good For Doctrine / Lead City University Will Not Observe Federal Government Holiday / Christians Not Allowed Places Of Worship In Some Northern Tertiary Institutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Christians Not Observe Fasting As Muslims Do by phenomental40(m): 7:19am On Apr 03, 2022
Hello everyone, good morning I was on my bed this morning when I heard my landlady replying a call on phone saying in Yoruba " no we are not fasting people we are Christians" so I was wondering do Christians not have it own fasting season
Re: Why Do Christians Not Observe Fasting As Muslims Do by FERNANDEZISBACK: 7:20am On Apr 03, 2022
Cos most Christians know and understand that it makes no sense.. undecided
Re: Why Do Christians Not Observe Fasting As Muslims Do by MadamVanessa(f): 7:22am On Apr 03, 2022
shocked

The fasting they've been observing what's the need and usefulness of it? does that stop them from bombing all the nooks and crannies of the world?

They do eyes service alot. Christian observed fastings, but it is not eyes service like the Muslims.
Re: Why Do Christians Not Observe Fasting As Muslims Do by Drastick(m): 7:33am On Apr 03, 2022
What of our LENT SEASON?
Re: Why Do Christians Not Observe Fasting As Muslims Do by chatinent: 7:42am On Apr 03, 2022
Actually, I personally see no relevance in it.
Re: Why Do Christians Not Observe Fasting As Muslims Do by phenomental40(m): 8:01am On Apr 03, 2022
Drastick:
What of our LENT SEASON?
when is it
Re: Why Do Christians Not Observe Fasting As Muslims Do by amrichy(m): 9:09am On Apr 03, 2022
phenomental40:
when is it
We are actually in Lent period now. Lent started some weeks ago, it's gonna end around April 17
Lent is a much more difficult fasting than Ramadan; you only eat once in a day! Muslims eat twice daily during Ramadan. The difficulty of Lent could be what discourages most christians from observing it.
Re: Why Do Christians Not Observe Fasting As Muslims Do by Stephenmoka4(m): 10:14am On Apr 03, 2022
People fast and it's not written on their forehead or banner for everyone to know.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Christians Not Observe Fasting As Muslims Do by daveP(m): 10:53am On Apr 03, 2022
First, Christians fast more than Muslims, but as scriptures said, people must not know they are even fasting, cos the Pharisees did this. They were hypocrites. Some Christians are currently on 70days. Some 90 days. You can't even know unless they say it. No fuss about it all over.

Secondly, in the Holy Bible, again, God said observing fasts had become so routinous, yet his people were far from him and sinful despite all the fasting.

Finally, Jesus Christ emphasized the heart over any religious routine. This is seen in the story of the Publican vs The Pharisees.

The heart is more important. If the heart is right with God, and that fellow doesn't fast, there is no problem at all.

The demoniacs fast as well. The occultics and mediums, spiritists too. It is an exercise to focus the mind on the spiritual level. It however is not the only way to do such.
Re: Why Do Christians Not Observe Fasting As Muslims Do by phenomental40(m): 11:06am On Apr 03, 2022
OAM4J, lalasticlala what's your take on this
Re: Why Do Christians Not Observe Fasting As Muslims Do by Padipadi(m): 12:04pm On Apr 03, 2022
Cos the calender is different, the religion is different & Jesus isn't Muhammad.
Why Christians are meek is cos of the character of Jesus. Why Muslims are aggressors is cos of the way Muhammad is. Why Fulanis are always causing trouble is cause Uthman Dan Fodio's idealogy.
A leader ll influence his followers
Re: Why Do Christians Not Observe Fasting As Muslims Do by Nobody: 3:05pm On Apr 03, 2022
phenomental40:
Hello everyone, good morning I was on my bed this morning when I heard my landlady replying a call on phone saying in Yoruba " no we are not fasting people we are Christians" so I was wondering do Christians not have it own fasting season

That's because fasting is personal and also done for a cause. It doesn't need to be formal. And, by the way, I find it funny when people eat breakfast, skip lunch and eat dinner and consider themselves fasting.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Christians Not Observe Fasting As Muslims Do by Samunique(m): 3:35pm On Apr 03, 2022
phenomental40:
Christians do fast more than the Muslims !

But they're warned not to make it public !
Re: Why Do Christians Not Observe Fasting As Muslims Do by DappaD: 5:19pm On Apr 03, 2022
There are “Christians” today who would make claims that they fast, for reasons known to them.

In the Bible, fasting was a feature of the Israelites worship of God (Leviticus 16:29) and if done hypocritically, God wouldn’t pay attention. Isaiah 58:1-5

That’s why Jesus said when someone is fasting, he shouldn’t let others know by keeping his face in a certain way. Matthew 6:16-18

But the interesting thing about this is that fasting was a feature of the Mosaic Law and so under Christianity, Jesus’ followers had no reason to fast.

In fact, when Jesus was questioned as to why his disciples didn’t fast, he implicitly said that he didn’t come to reform the old Judaism religion and its practices. Matthew 9:17-18

What this means is that, under the law of the Christ (Galatians 6:2), we are set free from the commandments and practices of the Mosaic Law. Colossians 2:13-16

In summary, true Christians do not generally fast. But if done however, it is a private matter that no other person needs to know about. Romans 14:2-6
Re: Why Do Christians Not Observe Fasting As Muslims Do by xproducer: 8:25pm On Apr 03, 2022
There is utility - GOD knows all things - in abstaining from physical food while praying without ceasing at the same time, and we should do so as often as we are so moved - by GOD's grace.

"Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face; That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly." - Matthew 6:16-18

Beyond the physical fast... fasting also entails doing good to as many as we can, particularly sharing the living word of GOD with them... the highest long-term good we could do for another - in keeping with the greatest commandments; i.e. loving GOD and then loving our neighbor as ourselves. (Matthew 22:37-40)

"Wherefore have we fasted, say they, and thou seest not? wherefore have we afflicted our soul, and thou takest no knowledge? Behold, in the day of your fast ye find pleasure, and exact all your labours. Behold, ye fast for strife and debate, and to smite with the fist of wickedness: ye shall not fast as ye do this day, to make your voice to be heard on high. Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the Lord? Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?" - Isaiah 58:3-7
Re: Why Do Christians Not Observe Fasting As Muslims Do by samwash(m): 11:07pm On Apr 03, 2022
phenomental40:

Have you heard any lent before ?
The Catholic are in their lent now, so world wide all Catholic members are expected to fast now.
You heard abt the RCCG 100 days fasting & prayer at the beginning of the year.
Living Faith Church( Winners ) also did their 21 days Fasting & prayer at the beginning of the year.
Most churches irrespective of their denomination do fast from time to time, exmple Winners do fast every Wednesdays for their mid week service.
So, christains do have fasting season, it all depends on the denomination & when they decide to do it.

(1) (Reply)

. / Please Who Can Interpret This Dream For Me / Is Speaking In Tongues A [b]must[/b] When One Is Baptized With The Holy Ghost?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.