Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,007 members, 7,835,417 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:53 AM

What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? (1422 Views)

As A First Time Car Owner, Toyota Corolla 2010 Or Honda Civic 2011? / Top 50 Best Cars To Buy As A Nigerian First Time Car Buyer. / How To Check Car Owner By Number Plate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? by Timibraun0010: 2:12pm On Apr 04, 2022
Hi guys, I'm a soon-to-be first time car owner. I've decided to get myself a car as a birthday gift in the next few days.

I will like to have one or two inputs from experienced car owners. What are the must have for me apart from having a complete document.?

I noticed many don't talk about car insurance that much. In fact ,just advice me as much as your knowledge holds. I appreciate that.

Just a few hint to aid your contribution. I'm a single guy. I work outside the local government I'm based. So I fly commercial everyday.

Thanks for your contributions
Re: What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? by hopeforcharles(m): 3:27pm On Apr 04, 2022
Timibraun0010:
Hi guys, I'm a soon-to-be first time car owner. I've decided to get myself a car as a birthday gift in the next few days.

I will like to have one or two inputs from experienced car owners. What are the must have for me apart from having a complete document.?

I noticed many don't talk about car insurance that much. In fact ,just advice me as much as your knowledge holds. I appreciate that.

Just a few hint to aid your contribution. I'm a single guy. I work outside the local government I'm based. So I fly commercial everyday.

Regular maintenance and keep on shade and clean

1 Like

Re: What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? by yuping(m): 3:29pm On Apr 04, 2022
undecided don't drink and drive, over speeding can lead to loss of property and lives. Be late to a meeting is better than to be late.
This is real life not Nitro cart, you life can't be refill.

5 Likes

Re: What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? by alphabbey1(m): 5:14pm On Apr 04, 2022
Timibraun0010:

Desist from carrying hookup, you will be tempted, but resist

4 Likes

Re: What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? by nurey(m): 5:44pm On Apr 04, 2022
Timibraun0010:

Always lend your car to friends and family even if they don't know how to drive grin thank me later
Re: What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? by Timibraun0010: 8:20pm On Apr 04, 2022
alphabbey1:

Desist from carrying hookup, you will be tempted, but resist
grin grin
Lai Lai , ni hookup ooo
Re: What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? by Timibraun0010: 8:21pm On Apr 04, 2022
nurey:

Always lend your car to friends and family even if they don't know how to drive grin thank me later
So they can bash it ba. If I refuse I don turn wicked person grin
Re: What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? by Timibraun0010: 8:21pm On Apr 04, 2022
yuping:
undecided don't drink and drive, over speeding can lead to loss of property and lives. Be late to a meeting is better than to be late.
This is real life not Nitro cart, you life can't be refill.
Thanks brother. That's very important
Re: What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? by Timibraun0010: 8:22pm On Apr 04, 2022
hopeforcharles:

Regular maintenance and keep on shade and clean
Thanks chief. Make I go buy shade grin
Re: What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? by brightest5050: 10:42pm On Apr 04, 2022
Do not lash any banny in your car. A car is a girl and would be jealous and the car will make you pay heavily for cheating on it

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? by DECLAN2015(m): 3:15pm On Apr 05, 2022
brightest5050:
Do not lash any banny in your car. A car is a girl and would be jealous and the car will make you pay heavily for cheating on it

This is one is strong ohhhhh
Re: What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? by Timagex(m): 11:22pm On Apr 06, 2022
Let me park here...
Re: What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? by Idaytesj29(m): 1:27pm On Apr 09, 2022
Do not allow any mechanic or rewire talk you into removing your thermostat to run your car fan directly.

That will be the beginning of the end of your engine.

5 Likes

Re: What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? by Idaytesj29(m): 1:28pm On Apr 09, 2022
brightest5050:

Lol
Re: What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? by Nobody: 5:56am On Apr 10, 2022
Timibraun0010:

Congratulations in advance!

Here are some random bits of wisdom that will make your vehicle ownership a thing of joy and not a pot of stress and cloak of sorrow:

1. If you can, buy brand new or foreign used only. If foreign used, make certain to run the VIN and inspect it properly with a mechanic that knows his onions not those ones who think a clean coat equals a good vehicle. By all means, avoid Nigerian used cars. 99.9% are not used...they are abused!

2. Buy a car that you can comfortably maintain and replace if need be. Also, buy one that you actually need. Do not buy stuff to impress society or worse, pick chicks. It ends in premium tears. Always.

3. Read the entire vehicle manual and service schedule well before buying the vehicle or right after. In fact, study it like someone who is preparing for a professional exam. E get why.

4. Flowing from the above, do not allow a Kazeem mess up your vehicle. Ever. If your mechanic begins to say two different things work the same function or 'e no mean', or 'because of Naija hot weather' etc. it is time to walk away!

5. Always go with the manufacturer's recommendations, not what one Kazeem says or what another sad owner has done. If your vehicle comes with an 'automatic compressor' for instance, do not change it 'manual' when it needs replacement. Replace with the exact part, right up to part number that you take out for change.

6. As a new car owner and driver, a simple, older 4 cylinder vehicle will lend itself to easier understanding than a newer 6 or 8 cylinder one.

7. Speed kills and zaps fuel. It also causes bashes and scratches that can be avoided. If person pass you for road, allow am go. You no know wetin dey pursue am grin

8. Always renew your vehicle papers and make certain that you have all that matters. On the road, this equates to ultimate peace of mind.

9. Comprehensive insurance cover isn't a waste of money. Rather, it is the smartest thing to do, if you can afford it. You will thank yourself you did when an issue arises. Choose your provider carefully though, many are not worth it!

10. Never, ever, allow a friend drive your vehicle or worse, borrow it out. E get why.

11. Finally, as far as I can remember at this time, buy brand new tires. Always. And when at it, buy premium, not the many Chinese stuff out there. Do not listen to anyone that swears by used tires, the so-called graded 'toks'. It ends in tears. Always. And, again, keep your rims stock. Avoid the fancy, flashy Chinese stuff. E get why.

7 Likes

Re: What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? by CarGuideNG: 2:24pm On Apr 10, 2022
ThrottleHoIic:

1. If you can, buy brand new or foreign used only. If foreign used, make certain to run the VIN

Re: What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? by Idaytesj29(m): 4:14pm On Apr 10, 2022
ThrottleHolic:

Here are some random bits of wisdom that will make your vehicle ownership a thing of joy and not a pot of stress and cloak of sorrow:

1. If you can, buy brand new or foreign used only. If foreign used, make certain to run the VIN and inspect it properly with a mechanic that knows his onions not those ones who think a clean coat equals a good vehicle. By all means, avoid Nigerian used cars. 99.9% are not used...they are abused!

2. Buy a car that you can comfortably maintain and replace if need be. Also, buy one that you actually need. Do not buy stuff to impress society or worse, pick chicks. It ends in premium tears. Always.

3. Read the entire vehicle manual and service schedule well before buying the vehicle or right after. In fact, study it like someone who is preparing for a professional exam. E get why.

4. Flowing from the above, do not allow a Kazeem mess up your vehicle. Ever. If your mechanic begins to say two different things work the same function or 'e no mean', or 'because of Naija hot weather' etc. it is time to walk away!

5. Always go with the manufacturer's recommendations, not what one Kazeem says or what another sad owner has done. If your vehicle comes with an 'automatic compressor' for instance, do not change it 'manual' when it needs replacement. Replace with the exact part, right up to part number that you take out for change.

6. As a new car owner and driver, a simple, older 4 cylinder vehicle will lend itself to easier understanding than a newer 6 or 8 cylinder one.

7. Speed kills and zaps fuel. It also causes bashes and scratches that can be avoided. If person pass you for road, allow am go. You no know wetin dey pursue am grin

8. Always renew your vehicle papers and make certain that you have all that matters. On the road, this equates to ultimate peace of mind.

9. [/b]Comprehensive insurance cover isn't a waste of money. Rather, it is the smartest thing to do, if you can afford it. You will thank yourself you did when an issue arises. Choose your provider carefully though, many are not worth it![b]

10. Never, ever, allow a friend drive your vehicle or worse, borrow it out. E get why.

11. Finally, as far as I can remember at this time, buy brand new tires. Always. And when at it, buy premium, not the many Chinese stuff out there. Do not listen to anyone that swears by used tires, the so-called graded 'toks'. It ends in tears. Always. And, again, keep your rims stock. Avoid the fancy, flashy Chinese stuff. E get why.

About No9 which provider is the best for comprehensive. I am asking cos, I am going to have a Sienna soon, and if my HP partner does not do insurance. As a business person, I want to do comprehensive for the car just to be on a safer side.
Re: What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Apr 10, 2022
Idaytesj29:

About No9 which provider is the best for comprehensive. I am asking cos, I am going to have a Sienna soon, and if my HP partner does not do insurance. As a business person, I want to do comprehensive for the car just to be on a safer side.

Without any prejudice to the other providers, two names kept popping up during my research process, a few years back when I decided the third-party cover wasn't enough for me and needed something more 'covering'.

They were and still are:

1. Leadway Assurance and
2. Axa Mansard Insurance.

Quick Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with any of the above companies nor will I receive any sort of compensation for this opinion shared. This is my research and personal experience, nothing more.

However, as with all things important, do your own research and ask questions that are important to you. These two I found to be my best, may unfortunately not be yours if your situation and comprehensive cover needs vary widely from mine.

Importantly, before you settle for any company, make certain to talk to at least two persons who have had claims with said companies and hear their stories. This is how to come to a rational conclusion about a company worth your time and money.

When you finally decide, negotiate your terms/cover, and importantly, read the fine print carefully. Many Nigerians don't and therein lie their woes, just waiting to happen!

1 Like

Re: What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? by Idaytesj29(m): 4:39pm On Apr 10, 2022
ThrottleHolic:

Without any prejudice to the other providers, two names kept popping up during my research process, a few years back when I decided the third-party cover wasn't enough for me and needed something more 'covering'.

They were and still are:

1. Leadway Assurance and
2. Axa Mansard Insurance.

Quick Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with any of the above companies nor will I receive any sort of compensation for this opinion shared. This is my research and personal experience, nothing more.

However, as with all things important, do your own research and ask questions that are important to you. These two I found to be my best, may unfortunately not be yours if your situation and comprehensive cover needs vary widely from mine.

Importantly, before you settle for any company, make certain to talk to at least two persons who have had claims with said companies and hear their stories. This is how to come to a rational conclusion about a company worth your time and money.

When you finally decide, negotiate your terms/cover, and importantly, read the fine print carefully. Many Nigerians don't and therein lie their woes, just waiting to happen!

Okay, thank you for this. I will read their terms and conditions and as well put it straight to them, "Tell me what this insurance does not cover?"

Thanks again
Re: What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Apr 10, 2022
Idaytesj29:

Okay, thank you for this. I will read their terms and conditions and as well put it straight to them, "Tell me what this insurance does not cover?"

Thanks again

My pleasure.

About the question: yes - and more.

'Regular' comprehensive insurance, for instance, may not cover strike/riots, acts of God, tracking, and maybe, towing expenses, if need be.

Now, if these are important to you, ask the agent about them and let him/her explain clearly to you how you can proceed. Usually, the premium would 'surge' by 1-2% with these additions but if they are important to you, by all means, make certain that they are added to the cover and adjust the premium accordingly.

And, [b]this is very important, [/b]reduced into writing and captured in the policy document.

Don't ever accept their oral admissions not reduced into writing and reflected in the policy document.

Goodluck!

1 Like

Re: What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? by Idaytesj29(m): 5:13pm On Apr 10, 2022
ThrottleHolic:

My pleasure.

'Regular' comprehensive insurance, for instance, may not cover [/b]strike/riots, acts of God, tracking, and maybe, towing expenses[/b], if need be.

Now, if these are important to you, ask the agent about them and let him/her explain clearly to you how you can proceed. Usually, the premium would 'surge' by 1-2% with these additions but if they are important to you, by all means, make certain that they are added to the cover and adjust the premium accordingly.

And, [b]this is very important, [/b]reduced into writing and captured in the policy document.

Don't ever accept their oral admissions not reduced into writing and reflected in the policy document.

Goodluck!
Re: What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? by Idaytesj29(m): 5:14pm On Apr 10, 2022
ThrottleHolic:

My pleasure.

'Regular' comprehensive insurance, for instance, may not cover [b]strike/riots, acts of God, tracking, and maybe, towing expenses[b] , if need be.

Goodluck!
Re: What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? by Idaytesj29(m): 5:15pm On Apr 10, 2022
ThrottleHolic:

My pleasure.

'Regular' comprehensive insurance, for instance, may not cover [/b]strike/riots, acts of God, tracking, and maybe, towing expenses[b] , if need be.

Goodluck!

Hmmmm the premium is the real comprehensive Insurance afterall. A comprehensive should cover all the bolded, thats why its comprehensive.
Thanks for educating me on this.
Re: What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Apr 10, 2022
Idaytesj29:

Hmmmm the premium is the real comprehensive Insurance afterall. A comprehensive should cover all the bolded, thats why its comprehensive.
Thanks for educating me on this.

In most cases, it doesn't cover, trust me. Especially if you don't know what to ask for or are looking for the cheapest premium possible per anum.
Re: What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? by Idaytesj29(m): 5:21pm On Apr 10, 2022
ThrottleHolic:

In most cases, it doesn't cover, trust me. Especially if you don't know what to ask for or are looking for the cheapest premium possible per anum.

So, negotiation must be through and one should not append signature in a hurry
Re: What's Will Be Your Advice For a First Time Car Owner? by Timibraun0010: 9:15am On Apr 19, 2022
ThrottleHolic:

9. Comprehensive insurance cover isn't a waste of money. Rather, it is the smartest thing to do, if you can afford it. You will thank yourself you did when an issue arises. Choose your provider carefully though, many are not worth it!

Thanks for taking your time to drop this brother. Thank you

(1) (Reply)

Naija Used Toyota Corolla 03 Model Available For Sale / Place(s) To Do Vehicle Diagnostic/scan In Port Harcourt / Embarrassing Way To Keep A Rolls Royce.....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.