Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,835 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:43 PM

Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? (611606 Views)

Ladies, See The Shocking Effect Of Postinor 2 (drug For Prevention Of Pregnancy) / Should I Take Postinor 2 Everytime? / Postinor How Effective Is It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by Pittbaby(f): 4:38pm On Feb 19, 2010
Postionor distrupts your menstrural cycle . It prevents ovulation and Fertilization by tricking the body , hence the early/prolonged menstrual cycle .

"Temporary disruption of the menstrual cycle is also common and may manifest as early or late periods, spotting or breakthrough bleeding, and (less commonly) missed periods. The primary mechanism of EC is delaying ovulation. Menstruation occurs, on average, 14 days after ovulation, so delayed ovulation results in delayed menstruation. Suppression of ovulation may cause anovulatory bleeding, which could manifest as an early period".

http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/articles/emergencycontraception.html

if you feel that it is longer than should be please see a doctor and confirm . The site I am consulting does not cite any cases of damage to the reproductive system from postinor use . it apparantly can not even abort an existing pregnancy (if taken on its own I know of cases where Postinor is taken with alcohol . very quick way to ruin your uterus)
Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by minute(f): 11:49am On Feb 20, 2010
Dont even think this medicine is on the market anymore. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by Pittbaby(f): 5:21pm On Feb 23, 2010
Still available as for December last year , not sure if anything has changed since then

http://health.ninemsn.com.au/family/womenshealth/689896/emergency-contraception-the-morning-after-pill

I dont use BC pills so feel free to show proof of it being taken of the market
Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by hedmond(m): 10:44pm On Feb 28, 2010
Please I need a better understandind, I had an unprotected sex with my babe exactly 14 days after her last period and Postinor2 was used within 3hrs and she's yet to see her period after 2 wks but she complain that her breast is bigger, no bleeding , no appetite to eat, feel heavy and had not been to the toilet for the past 6 days.
Pls tell me, is everything normal or Hw long will it take for her to see her period.
Pls contribute
Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by Pittbaby(f): 6:11pm On Mar 01, 2010
go to the nearest pharmacy and get a pregnancy test kit for her.
Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by DeepSoul(f): 2:50pm On Mar 03, 2010
I personally think it's effective but my opinion changed when two of my friends co-incidentally got pregnant last month despite the fact that they took Postinor 2 and took it correctly i.e within 72 hrs, taking each pill 12 hrs apart.

It had actually "failed" one of them some years ago. And it failed her again.

Omo. Abstinence is the best option because even condom dey tear. I repeat. Abstinence.

For the married people, there are safer BC methods.
Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by Pittbaby(f): 6:55pm On Mar 03, 2010
I personally think it's effective but my opinion changed when two of my friends co-incidentally got pregnant last month despite the fact that they took Postinor 2 and took it correctly i.e within 72 hrs, taking each pill 12 hrs apart.

It had actually "failed" one of them some years ago. And it failed her again.

Omo. Abstinence is the best option because even condom dey tear. I repeat. Abstinence.

For the married people, there are safer BC methods.

I guess the medical claim that frequent use makes it less effective than withdrawal method is valid.

Not marrried please use a condom, married talk to a GP . Abstain if you can

1 Like

Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by stephen2(m): 12:18pm On Mar 11, 2010
:-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by ladybird90210: 12:12pm On Mar 26, 2010
had sex with my husband and took postinor 2 afterwards. later that same day, we had sex again. i'm wondering if i'm still protected with d last postinoor 2 i took or am i supposed to take another dose?
Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by SOLAADETUNJI: 12:27am On Mar 27, 2010
If its with ur husband, why take postinor.You better dont destroy ur hormonal system.(READ THE LITERATURE INSERT OF POSTINOR FOR MORE EXPLAINATION)There are other ways to guide against pregnancy in marriage.
1.Fish out your dangerous days every month,and avoid sex.If ur husband will not agree, then use codom
2.Take regular 30days pills and rest ur case

Those who use postinor are mostly adulteresses and fornicators who cant say no. And to such I say repent and accept Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Saviour.If you need power to say no and believe you need help yu can reach me on 08033829376 or adetunjisola2003@yahoo.com

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by ladybird90210: 9:45pm On Mar 27, 2010
Pastor shola, ur reply has not answered my question. U may take ur self righteousness elsewhere. Let he who is without sin be the first to cast the stone(food for thought). Good luck 2 u

4 Likes

Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by SOLAADETUNJI: 10:35pm On Mar 27, 2010
@ladybird :I am very sorry.I do not really mean to be offensive.To answer ur question directly You are not protected by the last dose of postinor.
Reason: Postinor is a post-coital contraceptive.

The problem however is that you are not suppose to be taking it repeatedly. There is a limit to the number of dose u can take within 30days. Hope I.ve answered ur question.

Again I apologise for my former seemingly caustic comment.Sorrrrrry!

6 Likes

Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by ladybird90210: 10:12am On Mar 29, 2010
Sola, apology accepted! thanks for answering my question.
Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by spoilt(f): 4:01am On Apr 02, 2010
People are still having unprotected s!e!x? shocked shocked

Sheez!
Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by aieromon(m): 4:57am On Apr 02, 2010
Postinor 2 is very effective if taken within 72hours of unprotected intercourse.
However,this drug has serious long term effects.it's an emergency pill and not to be abused.
Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by jusoneaja: 9:10am On Jun 19, 2010
my baby took postonor 2 last  week saturday but she didnt take the second tab after 12 hours as directed, up till now she has not seen her period,  im wondering if its normal or is it that the postonor didnt work,
Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by bashiru181: 11:09am On Sep 17, 2010
I had unprotected sex with my bf on the 2 sep in the early hours of the morning and he ejaculated inside me. I took postinor 2 SD the same afternoon. On the 6 sep I began spotting blood and it pained while I urinated. My period came on the 9 sep and lasted until the 13 sep. My period came even though it came on the 24 aug. The burning while urinating has never stopped though.
Is this still an effect from the tablet? I am very worried. The burning is the worst on mornings when I awake after not urinating all night.

NB: it is the single dose Postinor 2 tablet that I took.
Please help.
Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by aisha2010(f): 4:25pm On Sep 17, 2010
i took postinor2, a month after unprotected sex a week later i started bleeding and serious abodominal pain for 6days still bleeding, and yesterday suppose to be the last day of my period, advice?
Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by initiate: 1:04pm On Sep 23, 2010
hope you realise that its not only preg you have to guard against. also all the diseases of this world
please use condom
Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by scopusng(m): 10:55am On Oct 02, 2010
What is Postinor-2 used for and how does it work?
Each tablet contains 750 micrograms of the progestagen, levonorgestrel. Postinor-2 behaves like the natural female hormone, progesterone.

Postinor-2 is an oral emergency contraceptive. It can help to prevent a pregnancy if taken within 72 hours (3 days) of unprotected sex. It is more effective the sooner it is taken following unprotected sex.

Postinor-2 should only be used as an emergency measure.

Emergency contraceptives like Postinor-2 are not for use as a regular method of contraception because of the increased possibility of failure compared to other methods of contraception.

After taking Postinor-2, you should use another method of contraception (condoms or cap plus spermicide), or not to have sex until your next period.

Emergency contraception does not protect against sexually transmitted diseases. Ask your doctor for advice if you are worried about this.

What checks are needed before you take Postinor-2
Before you take this medicine your doctor will check that you are not already pregnant by asking questions about your periods, or performing a pregnancy test or internal examination if pregnancy is suspected.

A breast or internal examination is not usually needed but may occasionally be performed by the doctor after questioning you about your medical history. The doctor may also take your blood pressure.

What checks are needed after you have taken Postinor-2
Your doctor may ask to see you again about 3 weeks after treatment to make sure Postinor-2 has worked.

If you are involved in a sexual relationship and do not want to become pregnant you should ask your doctor, at this time, about regular methods of contraception that are suitable for you.

What if I become pregnant after taking Postinor-2
If you should become pregnant despite taking this medicine, see your doctor who may need to check that the pregnancy is not ectopic (where the baby develops somewhere other than the womb). You should report to your doctor any unusual cramping pain or vaginal bleeding.

Postinor-2 should not be given to pregnant women. However, if you become pregnant despite taking Postinor-2 then experts believe that this medicine is unlikely to cause abnormalities to the developing child if it is taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex and if you are not already pregnant when you take it.

How to use Postinor-2 properly
Take 1 tablet as soon as possible after you have had unprotected sex (but no later than 72 hours). Do not delay taking the tablets. They work better the sooner they are taken after unprotected sex.

Take the second tablet 12 hours after the first dose.

It is important to leave no longer than 12 hours between the 2 doses. This may mean you need to set your alarm clock for the second dose or adjust the timing of your first dose slightly so that you would normally be awake when you need to take your second dose.

You must take both tablets and leave no longer than 12 hours between the 2 doses.

This is all you need to do unless you are sick (vomit) within 2 hours of taking either tablet.

What to do if you are sick (vomit)
If you are sick within 2 hours of taking the first tablet, you should take the second tablet in the pack at once and contact your doctor or clinic immediately for another tablet.

If you are sick within 2 hours of taking the second tablet you should contact your doctor or pharmacist immediately.

What to do if you miss a dose
You must take both tablets and leave no longer than 12 hours between the 2 doses.

If you are late taking the second tablet, take it as soon as you remember and contact your doctor for advice as soon as possible.

Overdosage
There have been no reports of serious harmful effects from taking too many Postinor-2 tablets at one time. If you have taken several pills at a time, you may feel sick, vomit or have vaginal bleeding. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice if you are at all worried.

When using Postinor-2
Tell your doctor immediately if you are sick, or have very severe diarrhoea less than 2 hours after taking this medicine, or if you have a disease of the small bowel (such as Crohn's disease) that interferes with the absorption of your food, the active ingredient of Postinor-2 may not have been completely absorbed. You should contact your doctor or clinic who may need to give you another course of treatment.

Side Effects
Like all medicines Postinor-2 can have side effects:

Feeling sick (nauseous); about a quarter of women who take Postinor-2 feel sick for a short while afterwards
Being sick (vomiting); only about 5 in every 100 women who take Postinor-2 will actually be sick. If this happens to you see the section "What to do if you are sick (vomit)"
Postinor-2 may change your pattern of menstrual bleeding; although most women will have their next period at the normal time, some will have a later, or earlier than normal period. There may also be some irregular vaginal bleeding or spotting until your next period
If your next period is more than 7 days late, go back to your doctor who will need to check that you are not pregnant
If your next period is abnormal (too light, much heavier than usual, or especially painful) you should see your doctor without delay
Some women get tender breasts, headaches, feel dizzy or feel tired after taking Postinor-2. These symptoms will get better within a few days.

3 Likes

Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by sms4health: 4:07pm On Oct 02, 2010
The best advice is for you to see a Doctor preferably a Gynaecologist who will review your history and properly advice you on the use of contraceptives.

Best of luck!

1 Like

Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by madamL(f): 3:42pm On Oct 05, 2010
come ladies, why must one allow herself to be exposed to a harsh drug like this wetin call? If the man is not too happy with using protection at unsafe periods then buy p.a.n.t.s with strong rope. One of these days these selfish men go kill someboby. NONSENSE.
Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by mm88: 12:26pm On Nov 15, 2010
i had my October menses on 17th. i had sex on 7th Nov noon and took Postinor 2 at night.

however, my menses came on 13th Nov. I do not know if Postinor 2 really works, or i am pregnant? sad
Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by pewekac: 3:22pm On Jan 14, 2011
True talk about it destabilizing the menstrual cycle. A chick I had se3x with took it and I always had a heart attack over fears of getting her pregnant (was a raz chick,i would have died of shame) plus it cost me a fortune with the resultant medical checkup. Abeg practice Safe sex if you can't abstain. :-)
Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by postinor2: 5:52am On Jan 24, 2011
for those to shy to purchase postinor2 over the counter, you may purchase online with us via credit card, at postinor2(dot)webs(dot)com. Satisfaction guaranteed, smiley
Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by postinor2: 5:57am On Jan 24, 2011
oops, double post, smiley
Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by babymi2(f): 6:50pm On Jan 24, 2011
myfriend period is missing 4 d past 2wks after taking postinor 2 she need help
Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by Aly1: 4:56am On Feb 10, 2011
Dear All,

I am having not regular menstrul cycle.Therefore, I am taking a type of hormon pills to make sure the menstrul cycle is regular. While I am taking this hormon pill, I took Postinor 2. Will this Postinor 2 effective?
Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by isuru: 8:22pm On Mar 20, 2011
Please Help

I had unprotected sex with my girl from 26th of Feb till 18th of march and within that period she had taken four doses of postino 2. She took last dose yesterday(19th). We did a pregnancy test yesterday because she was not bleeding and result came POSITIVE which means she is pregnant and also she is having abdominal pains.

My question is, she has taken POSTINO 2 when she is pregnant without knowing she is pregnant. Will this effect the baby?

I am really scared PLease reply
Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by MaiSuya(m): 11:10pm On Mar 20, 2011
isuru:

Please Help

I had unprotected sex with my girl from 26th of Feb till 18th of march and within that period she had taken four doses of postino 2. She took last dose yesterday(19th). We did a pregnancy test yesterday because she was not bleeding and result came POSITIVE which means she is pregnant and also she is having abdominal pains.

My question is, she has taken POSTINO 2 when she is pregnant without knowing she is pregnant. Will this effect the baby?

I am really scared PLease reply

KAI! what on earth was she taking [b]four [/b]doses for Postinor-2 is supposed to be taken NOT MORE THAN ONCE WITHIN A CYCLE.

Regrading the question about the effect on the baby, well, most experts, fortunately, say the drug is not expected to have any harmful effect on the developing foetus.

It is the health of the mother, as a matter of fact, that should be of more concern. She has been exposed to high dose steroids, four times higher than what the body is used to, and this, most likely has given rise to  the abdominal pains and nausea. She could also be at risk for what is called an ectopic pregnancy--the baby developing outside the uterus (or womb, as its commonly known).

I would suggest she goes for a O $G checkup, where an an ultrasound scan may help reveal the true picture. . .

Best of luck
Re: Postinor 2 - How Effective Is It? by Orikinla(m): 4:48pm On May 17, 2011

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available / How Can I Get Rid Of Black Spots On My Face? / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.