Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,096 members, 7,811,070 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:28 PM

No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court (27619 Views)

How Peace Mass Paid ₦500,000 Over No Refund Policy / Peace Mass Transit Reacts To The Accident That Killed "18" Passengers / 18 Passengers Die In Peace Mass Transit Accident (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by NoApology(m): 8:12pm On Apr 08, 2022
No refund after payment’: Peace Mass Transit loses in court

Transport company, Peace Mass Transit has lost its legal battle in a matter bordering on refund of money to passengers for trips not undertaken.

The incident that led to the suit occurred on the 10th of February, 2021, when the Plaintiff, Patrick C. Chukwuma purchased a ticket from the Obollor-Afor branch of Peace Mass Transit Limited to convey him to Enugu.

Following a two hours delay occasioned by the absence of passengers, the Plaintiff returned to the ticketing office and asked for a refund of the N500 he paid as the transportation fare.

However, staff of the Defendant refused to refund the money, insisting that their company policy was that money paid for transport fare cannot be returned to the passenger and citing the statement written on their ticket to that effect as conclusive proof of their position.

When the Plaintiff tried to explain to them that their policy was unlawful, as the law mandates them to refund fares for services that have not been provided they retorted in a rude manner, prompting the learned counsel to leave their park and seek alternative means of traveling back to Enugu.

A letter written by the lawyer to the Peace Mass Group of companies demanding an apology and refund was neglected, prompting the lawyers law firm to institute the action.

Delivering its judgement, the Court through Hon. Justice C.O. Ajah declared the no refund policy as illegal, null and void in light of the provisions of Sections 120, 104, 129 (1) (a) and (b) (iii) of the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Act, 2018.

The court further ordered the Defendant to pay the sum of N500,000 as damages to the Plaintiff.

Meanwhile, many Nigerians have been reacting to the judgment, describing it as an end to impunity among service providers
https://dailypost.ng/2022/04/08/no-refund-after-payment-peace-mass-transit-loses-in-court/?amp=1

176 Likes 20 Shares

Re: No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by obi4eze(m): 8:17pm On Apr 08, 2022
Na wa o!

1 Like

Re: No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by Naijanascam: 8:23pm On Apr 08, 2022
Good one......... congratulations to the victim for being courageous enough

320 Likes 15 Shares

Re: No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by Golan007: 8:42pm On Apr 08, 2022
I want my day in court.

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by talk2hb1(m): 9:16pm On Apr 08, 2022
Good Victory, sue them again if they refuses to pay.

108 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by MajesticKris: 6:13am On Apr 09, 2022
Front page material abegi.. for a sumptuous Saturday Morning

15 Likes

Re: No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by virginchaser(m): 6:32am On Apr 09, 2022
One of the best legal news from Nigeria but it took over a year to get justice.

208 Likes 6 Shares

Re: No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by oteneaaron(m): 6:35am On Apr 09, 2022
From 500 he got 500k.

What a hustle.

Who I fit sue like this?

300 Likes 15 Shares

Re: No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by Whothecapfits: 6:49am On Apr 09, 2022
A good judicial precedence.

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by iCauseTrouble: 6:50am On Apr 09, 2022
Nice one

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by Ezedon(m): 6:50am On Apr 09, 2022
Good news

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by JubrinElSudan: 6:50am On Apr 09, 2022
Vendors should take note cos this affects them too.
It's no longer business as usual

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by Lexusgs430: 6:50am On Apr 09, 2022
A matter of principle ........ I am loving Patrick C. Chukwuma, already........ . grin

Rather than refund his ₦500.00, now they must pay ₦500,000 compensation..........

They must now retrain all their employees......

107 Likes 5 Shares

Re: No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by nonny1212: 6:52am On Apr 09, 2022
oteneaaron:
From 500 he got 500k.

What a hustle.

Who I fit sue like this?

See better business o. Wey all my friend wey be lawyer, Job don land o.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by Tetrahedron: 6:52am On Apr 09, 2022
How can a company collect money not render service and same time refuse to refund and claim its their policy!

Are we all mad in this country?

Nigeria is really a banana republic!

130 Likes 10 Shares

Re: No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by Freddonance(m): 6:53am On Apr 09, 2022
This judgment is an eye opener as I won't hesitate to institute legal action against any transport company who refuses to make refund in similar situation.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by joyandfaith: 6:53am On Apr 09, 2022
This is good. From 500 refund to 500,000 fine.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by jaeyking(m): 6:54am On Apr 09, 2022
Stupidity from the company
What is in 500 naira that you couldn't refund

Now you are going to pay 500k as damages undecided undecided

Mtsvheww

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by Idoko619(m): 6:54am On Apr 09, 2022
The is victory for the Judiciary.
Make person just carry me play with this refund thing again.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by kambili999(f): 6:55am On Apr 09, 2022
This is a wonderful news. Very brave of the man. Serves PMT right tongue tongue

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by tobenuel(m): 6:55am On Apr 09, 2022
I really need to sue ITC Imo state.....

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by Authoreety: 6:55am On Apr 09, 2022
I like this..

1 Like

Re: No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by RuddyFusion(m): 6:55am On Apr 09, 2022
I love this
I will bookmark this page and look for a copy of this judgement for future reference

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by fasho01(m): 6:55am On Apr 09, 2022
Great stuff.. This indeed signals an end to impunity among service providers

3 Likes

Re: No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 6:55am On Apr 09, 2022
PMT is a company i won't even advise my enemy to use. A word is enough for the wise cool

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by sotall(m): 6:56am On Apr 09, 2022
Corporate thieves
Re: No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by YeyeGbami: 6:56am On Apr 09, 2022
securitywatch50:
Yes ooo that is how it goes and it can only happen in the east, where men have got to challenge and not in the west where we worship Men.

Guts*. You just couldn’t wait
Re: No Refund After Payment: Peace Mass Transit Loses In Court by wolesmile(m): 6:57am On Apr 09, 2022
I feel like suing GTB for illegal withdrawal from my account

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

4 Dead As U.S Airplane Crashes In Virginia (Photos) / Police Truck Involved In Fatal Road Accident, Officer Dies In The Process.Photos / JAPA Fever Among Nigerian Youths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.