Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,055 members, 7,835,571 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:53 AM

National Grid Has Collapse Again! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National Grid Has Collapse Again! (1020 Views)

Nation Grid Has Collapsed Again / The National Electricity Grid Has Experienced A System Collapse. / TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

National Grid Has Collapse Again! by xtivin(m): 1:40am On Apr 09, 2022

1 Share

Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by TheSourcerer: 1:45am On Apr 09, 2022
Of course Noome was held accountable the last time , so why don't we do it again, the average Nigerian would not care

Why don't we say a Python swallowed millions ,

Of course Nigerians believe in the supernatural

Why don't we say a monkey stole more funds , that way Nigerians would not have anybody to blame ......
Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by xtivin(m): 2:18am On Apr 09, 2022
Am sure no real maintenance on installed equipment since 2015. Bihari regime has successfully return us back to the old even worse.

1 Like

Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by SecretReporter(f): 2:27am On Apr 09, 2022
Buhari

2 Likes

Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by Simplelion: 2:39am On Apr 09, 2022
welcome to Nigeria, where anything is possible. anything at all at all
Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by ifex370(m): 3:50am On Apr 09, 2022
I suspected this.

1 Like

Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by kenic(m): 4:27am On Apr 09, 2022
That's what will continue to happen when illiterate abokis are in charge. These people trade incompetence, religion with merit. That's why no one will get axed. Usually in sane society, senior executives lose their jobs as a result. Thanks to our western brothers that would prefer an incompetent northerner to competent southerners.
Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by xtivin(m): 5:07am On Apr 09, 2022
Bihari has destroyed all of our infrastructure.

1 Like

Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by gaby(m): 5:14am On Apr 09, 2022
If you are able to find a legit way to jakpa, heck, make the move.

It is finished...

1 Like

Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by inoki247: 5:17am On Apr 09, 2022
lol the evil people in Govt ar still waiting to count how many times e don fall to compare with the past Govt....
Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by SmartPolician: 5:52am On Apr 09, 2022
gaby:

It is finished...

Is it not rather funny that young people tell others to run away from their country instead of call for the balkanization of this convoluted contraption that has refused to work after over 100 years of amalgamation?

Why do most Nigerians frown at those who call for the balkanization of Nigeria so that this complicated country can be better managed as a smaller unit by individual federating regions?

1 Like

Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by LibertyRep: 5:58am On Apr 09, 2022
Is there a sabotage somewhere?

We need to know how much they usually spend to restore the grid after each collapse.
Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by Nobody: 6:40am On Apr 09, 2022
At the end of the day, the grid needs replacement, and it would cost money

The thing is, because tarrifs are kept too low, and because a large segment of people and government agencies, and companies don't pay their bills....DISCOS cannot raise enough money for GENCOS....AND the transmission system

And here we are.
Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by juman(m): 6:42am On Apr 09, 2022
Vote apc out.

1 Like

Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by Nobody: 6:42am On Apr 09, 2022
gaby:

It is finished...

The countries where you want to jakpa to have working power systems because people pay their bills on time, don't bypass meters, and the power companies do not have their prices set below their cost of production by the government, and subsides are funded from tax revenue, not from the sale of crude oil, and are paid for people in need, not for everyone.

Here in Nigeria, we bypass meters, don't pay our bills, and chase power company workers with machetes. And we expect them to give us power with which money?

1 Like

Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by Nobody: 6:44am On Apr 09, 2022
juman:
Vote apc out.

Yes, we should, but we should also pay our power bills too.

The way the system is set up, it cannot raise enough money to fix things.

I am no Buhari supporter. But this problem predates him, and has been on for decades. And it is because we don't pay enough for the power we use.....

Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by Nobody: 6:48am On Apr 09, 2022
kenic:
That's what will continue to happen when illiterate abokis are in charge. These people trade incompetence, religion with merit. That's why no one will get axed. Usually in sane society, senior executives lose their jobs as a result. Thanks to our western brothers that would prefer an incompetent northerner to competent southerners.

First, DISCOS and GENCOS are not all headed by Abokis...some are even headed by Southerners.

Second, when 40% of your customers are not paying their bills, and a good number are in both South and North...plus when the bills are set below the production price of power (and the law guaranteeing that was signed by a southern president, not that Buhari would change the law, because he loves price control )....where is the power sector going to get money from?

Third, even before privatisation, people were not paying their bills, doing illegal connections, plus the grid was overloaded by all sorts of 'electrification projects' because we had to give power to everyone.....like without planning.

You guys won't get 24 hour power, till you get that you have to pay for 24 hour power.
Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by juman(m): 6:52am On Apr 09, 2022
subsidywise18:

I am no Buhari supporter. But this problem predates him, and has been on for decades. And it is because we don't pay enough for the power we use.....

They should then totally commercialize the sector.
Buhari fail to do that.
Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by Nobody: 7:00am On Apr 09, 2022
juman:

They should then totally commercialize the sector.
Buhari fail to do that.

1.It is commercialized
2.The problem is, the rules governing it are set up in a way that price controls remains in the hands of government
3.Yes, Buhari should allow the DISCOS to charge cost reflective tarrifs. But the man does not want to take the right decision once it is percieved to be 'unpopular'
Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by xtivin(m): 7:27am On Apr 09, 2022
subsidywise18:

But this APC govt. has not improved on the existing structure since 8years now with daily consumption increasing.
Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by Nobody: 7:33am On Apr 09, 2022
xtivin:

But this APC govt. has not improved on the existing structure since 8years now with daily consumption increasing.

First, I hate the APC, and yes I agree with you

But

1.There is nothing they can do. Power is largely in private hands.

2.They could amend the laws governing pricing to allow DISCOS set the price of power, not the government via NBET...so that the DISCOS have enough cash to pay GENCOS and TCN....and to pay for improvements. But because it is politically unpopular, they don't do it.

3.As for reversing the privatization thing...as some suggested...Buhari consulted with AGF Malami, who told him, like every good nd bad and terrible lawyer would, that reversing a contract means you pay compensation, and if government terminates the contracts...it could find itself liable to pay former DISCO and GENCO owners billions of dollars.

4.As a PWC report that i have linked to elsewhere says, people not paying their bills, plus the fact that tarrifs are kept below cost of producing power, means that the sector, even with privatisation, operates at a loss....(compare with GSM, whom Obasanjo basically allowed to charge us sky high prices in the beginningand they used the sky high profit to pay for all the towers, antenna, and miles of cable laid across the country to give us GSM service...internet inclusive)
Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by Fapemz: 7:33am On Apr 09, 2022
Solar is the present and the future, i recommend you give solar a try if you face power shortage as the sun and solar radiation is ever constant. I have been living offgrid with my small solar setup since 2018 and i remained an ambassador of alternative energy. I sell portable lithium inverter battery suitable for house light, Tv, laptop, phones etc. It is better to start now than latter. Alternative energy is getting cheaper by the day! You can get in touch via 08.065..316...307
Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by xtivin(m): 7:47am On Apr 09, 2022
subsidywise18:

First, I hate the APC, and yes I agree with you

But

1.There is nothing they can do. Power is largely in private hands.

2.They could amend the laws governing pricing to allow DISCOS set the price of power, not the government via NBET...so that the DISCOS have enough cash to pay GENCOS and TCN....and to pay for improvements. But because it is politically unpopular, they don't do it.

3.As for reversing the privatization thing...as some suggested...Buhari consulted with AGF Malami, who told him, like every good nd bad and terrible lawyer would, that reversing a contract means you pay compensation, and if government terminates the contracts...it could find itself liable to pay former DISCO and GENCO owners billions of dollars.

4.As a PWC report that i have linked to elsewhere says, people not paying their bills, plus the fact that tarrifs are kept below cost of producing power, means that the sector, even with privatisation, operates at a loss....(compare with GSM, whom Obasanjo basically allowed to charge us sky high prices in the beginningand they used the sky high profit to pay for all the towers, antenna, and miles of cable laid across the country to give us GSM service...internet inclusive)
From my deduction I can see you are into the system and understand it better. However, the DiscoS are running it better and I still stands with the Govt setting pricing, infact if government can extend it to other business it's fine but this particular government has not done their homework in all aspect and lacks the integrity to set prices for any reason and it's very shameful.
Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by SarkinYarki: 7:49am On Apr 09, 2022
National grid failure under Buhari is now a norm ...every other week under the failure National grid must collapse
Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by gaby(m): 7:50am On Apr 09, 2022
subsidywise18:

The countries where you want to jakpa to have working power systems because people pay their bills on time, don't bypass meters, and the power companies do not have their prices set below their cost of production by the government, and subsides are funded from tax revenue, not from the sale of crude oil, and are paid for people in need, not for everyone.

Here in Nigeria, we bypass meters, don't pay our bills, and chase power company workers with machetes. And we expect them to give us power with which money?

Whose responsibilities is it to tax citizens fairly, collect those taxes and use the generated funds to improve the country's infrastructures and by extension improve the citizens living standards?

Whose responsibilities is it to generate power or regulate power generation/distribution, ensure fair billings to users for power delivered and consumed?

Whose duty is it to put in place measures to guard and guide against electricity theft or bypassing of meters?

When the foundation is shallow, my brother, no structure can stand upon it.

This isn't a country but a contraption and a company belonging to the UK administered by their willing and self-centred proxies.

Whoever comes up to work against this company of theirs won't smell the seat of power.

It runs far deeper than most of us see...
Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by Nobody: 8:01am On Apr 09, 2022
gaby:

Whose responsibilities is it to tax citizens fairly, collect those taxes and use the generated funds to improve the country's infrastructures and by extension the citizens living standards?

It is the government. But then again, when government past and present wants to extend the tax base...either we are too poor or the government is too corrupt, or we are too busy to hold government to account

Whose responsibilities is it to generate power or regulate power generation/distribution, ensure fair billings to users for power delivered and consumed?

When 40% of consumers are not paying for power used, and when tarrifs are kept below production cost, how do you expect the power companies to do their work well?

You see the problem.

Whose duty is it to put in place measures to guard and guide against electricity theft or bypassing of meters?

Why should people do it? Why should people do the wrong thing?

Like people, like govt.
When the foundation is shallow, my brother, no structure can stand upon it.

So, if we divide Nigeria, everyone would suddenly become angels, and start doing the right thing?

This isn't a country but a contraption and a company belonging to the UK administered by their willing and self-centred proxies.

Whoever comes up to work against this company of theirs won't smell the seat of power.

It runs far deeper than most of us see...

No, it is because you Nigerians want to be spoonfed power without paying for it.
Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by Nobody: 8:05am On Apr 09, 2022
xtivin:

From my deduction I can see you are into the system and understand it better.

I am not in the system, and I don't work for the power sector. My understanding of things was borne from my trying to understand why GEJ was unbundling power into DISCOS and GENCOS, plus one report I read , all in 2013, which woke me up, and began a process that still goes on.

However, the DiscoS are running it better and I still stands with the Govt setting pricing, infact if government can extend it to other business it's fine but this particular government has not done their homework in all aspect and lacks the integrity to set prices for any reason and it's very shameful.

Like I said, the government of Buhari is a mess (they could have improved the economy via diversificaiton from oil which would have proviided finding for power )

But the thing is, government setting prices for any company or businessman is a means of telling that company or businessman to lose money . Government does not want you to make a profit, they want to do what needs to be done to be re-elected...even if it means forcing power companies to run at a loss, and taking loans to cover the losses so that they can get voted in next election.

Price controls don't work for any economy. You won't tolerate government setting yer price if you were a businessman or woman.
Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by gaby(m): 8:07am On Apr 09, 2022
subsidywise18:

1.It is commercialized
2.The problem is, the rules governing it are set up in a way that price controls remains in the hands of government
3.Yes, Buhari should allow the DISCOS to charge cost reflective tarrifs. But the man does not want to take the right decision once it is percieved to be 'unpopular'

You want the discos to be allowed charge the cost-reflective tariffs which isn't entirely a wrong suggestion or thing to do in a country where the citizens have enough disposable income in their pockets?

What is the minimum wage for a larger percentage of the population?

What is the current inflation rate viz a viz the minimum take-home pay?

How much of the general population can truly afford to pay these rates after-tax, accommodation, transportation, health insurance, feeding etc?

Nigeria isn't set up or ripe on all indices for what you are suggesting and those in government know and realise these facts, hence, the subsidies and price controls.

Everything needs to be disassembled and built properly from the ground up starting from the useless trash they call constitution if we are serious to get it right in Nigeria and rub shoulders with sane countries of the world.
Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by Nobody: 8:10am On Apr 09, 2022
gaby:

You want the discos to be allowed charge the cost-reflective tariffs which isn't entirely a wrong suggestion or thing to do in a country where the citizens have enough disposable income in their pockets?

What is the minimum wage for a larger percentage of the population?

What is the current inflation rate viz a viz the minimum take-home pay?

How much of the general population can truly afford to pay these rates after-tax, accommodation, transportation, health insurance, feeding etc?

Nigeria isn't set up or ripe on all indices for what you are suggesting and those in government know and realise these facts, hence, the subsidies and price controls.

Everything needs to be disassembled and built properly from the ground up starting from the useless trash they call constitution if we are serious to get it right in Nigeria and rub shoulders with sane countries of the world.

Then why are you complaining about bad power?

You get what you paid for.

If you were running a business, would you agree if your customers say the same thing you are saying now...that we are too poor to pay you because Nigeria is a poor country?

Stop complaining about bad power. Since you say Nigerians are too poor to pay for good enough power. Power, like most other good things in life...costs money. Money to build, operate and install...unless you want people to do that for free.

You want power without paying for it....or you want government to take a loan.(Magical thinking, magical thinking).

And you want to go to a country where you think people are enjoying this power because they have enough money? LOL...many people aboard don't have as much money as you think, especially with higher costs of living...which includes high power bills.
Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by meobizy(f): 11:30am On Apr 09, 2022
Make e dey collapse dey go. Oyibo use witchcraft provide constant electricity for their people. No wonder our youths dey japa enter these depression-filled lands as Naija no fit get hope.
Re: National Grid Has Collapse Again! by Nobody: 11:51am On Apr 09, 2022
Let every state handle their electricity problem.

(1) (2) (Reply)

We're Behind Killing Of Policemen In Kogi State - ISWAP / 2023: Tinubu Will Join Us When He Loses In APC - SDP / How Igbos Went From Being Asians To Becoming Blacks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.