Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,684 members, 7,816,792 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? (3162 Views)

Why, and how do people remain silent in a Whatsapp group for months, and years? / Don Davis' Medical Report Silent On Sexual Abuse At Deeper Life High School / South African Lady Celebrates Househelp Who Graduated With Degree In Psychology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by sorosoke101: 7:33pm On Apr 09, 2022
When it comes to silent letters, English has many. They are there, standing firm, occupying space and charge you for extra ink but not pronounced at all. Many people hate them for being there and they fuss about why for god’s sake they are not pronounced. Well, there is a reason why they are not pronounced. The word PSYCHOLOGY was borrowed from Greek, where this combination of sounds is allowed. But would be difficult or impossible for an English speaker to pronounce those two sounds at the start of a word. So in English we kept the spelling but made the initial /p/ silent. Because no English speaking people would want to pronounce a P and S together because it will sound gibberish. You are free to add yours let's see those silent letters.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Apr 09, 2022
Wrap, the w is silent smiley
Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by illicit(m): 9:23pm On Apr 09, 2022
In which language is combination of sounds not allowed

2 Likes

Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by Juliearth(f): 9:34pm On Apr 09, 2022
sorosoke101:
When it comes to silent letters, English has many. They are there, standing firm, occupying space and charge you for extra ink but not pronounced at all. Many people hate them for being there and they fuss about why for god’s sake they are not pronounced. Well, there is a reason why they are not pronounced. The word PSYCHOLOGY was borrowed from Greek, where this combination of sounds is allowed. But would be difficult or impossible for an English speaker to pronounce those two sounds at the start of a word. So in English we kept the spelling but made the initial /p/ silent. Because no English speaking people would want to pronounce a P and S together because it will sound gibberish. You are free to add yours let's see those silent letters.

Its a consonant digraph (two consonant sounds blended together to form a sound). By rule, digraphs create a new sound altogether (e.g sh, ch, th, etc) or not (as in this case). If a digraph assumes the latter in sound formation, it takes on the letter sound of either of the sounds. Thus, in this case, /PS/ by rule is sounded as /s/ or psi as this case.

One would be tempted to ask that if the letter sound is not pronounced, why then keep it there? Removing such silent sounds would constitute a breach in English language etymology.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by elotajohn1(m): 9:37pm On Apr 09, 2022
Juliearth:

Its a consonant digraph (two consonant sounds blended together to form a sound). By rule, digraphs create a new sound altogether (e.g sh, ch, th, etc) or not (as in this case). If a digraph assumes the latter in sound formation, it takes on the letter sound of either of the sounds. Thus, in this case, /PS/ by rule is sounded as /s/ or psi as the case may be.

See as you dey pieces another man language.... Can you read a book written in your local language?

2 Likes

Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by Juliearth(f): 9:40pm On Apr 09, 2022
elotajohn1:

See as you dey pieces another man language.... Can you read a book written in your local language?

I cannot even speak my language. It is of no economic value to me.

12 Likes

Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by WoundedLamb: 9:56pm On Apr 09, 2022
illicit:

Lol... you clearly didn't understood that part. He said the combination of the sounds /p/ and /s/ are allowed in the beginning of a word in Greek unlike in English. Notice he said "this combination of sounds". The word "this" implies he was specifically referring to the combination in question and not just combination of sounds in general.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by illicit(m): 10:01pm On Apr 09, 2022
WoundedLamb:

Lol... you clearly didn't understood that part. He said the combination of the sounds /p/ and /s/ are allowed in the beginning of a word in Greek unlike in English.

Oh yeah you are right

I think he modified sha
Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by WoundedLamb: 10:03pm On Apr 09, 2022
illicit:

He should have included the said sounds

He said sounds not the sounds you know

Actually, you're the one who didn't read him correctly, sir. Notice that he said "this combination of sounds... ". The word "this" implies he was specifically referring to the combination in question and not just combination of sounds in general.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by Gadafii: 10:26pm On Apr 09, 2022
Wetin k dey fine inside knife??

And why can't we just spell philosophy as filosofy, to save letters

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by CheedyJ(m): 10:51pm On Apr 09, 2022
English wey dey confused cos I don't know why sword is pronunced as surd abi na word..wahalarr
Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by Ulunne777(f): 11:10pm On Apr 09, 2022
Juliearth:

Ihere GI emegbuom megbuokwa ndi new GI!
Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by yyba: 11:43pm On Apr 09, 2022
illicit:
in fulani language
Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by mekonglobal(m): 2:07am On Apr 10, 2022
Write~ rite, playwright~ playright
Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by Venerable612(m): 3:11am On Apr 10, 2022
Gadafii:
Wetin k dey fine inside knife??

And why can't we just spell philosophy as filosofy, to save letters

Language is a Convention, not strictly speaking an item of choice.

Same reason Yorubas call Garri - Eba, and Ibos call it Garri. There is no correlation between the words Garri and Eba… yet it bears those nomenclature.

It’s just the way their use was developed over the years!
Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by Biafranodogwu55: 4:36am On Apr 10, 2022
Phone suppose be fone Physical suppose be fysicalundecided
Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by Juliearth(f): 4:49am On Apr 10, 2022
Ulunne777:

Ihere GI emegbuom megbuokwa ndi new GI!

You can stay oppressed for all I know and all its worth.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by ALLNIGERIANSMAD(m): 6:51am On Apr 10, 2022
sorosoke101:
you didn't say anything you know?
Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by shaggy007(m): 7:54am On Apr 10, 2022
Because it can be used a bad example.

... You're as useless as the p in psychology ...
Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by kyuniii(m): 7:58am On Apr 10, 2022
So true, English language is a combination of various worlds from different languages and sometimes wrong spelling can ruin your life. A man was travelling and texed his wife and forgot to put an E at the end of the sentence. He wrote am having a good time here I wish you were Her.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by TakeNose: 9:45am On Apr 10, 2022
The most annoying word is "lingerie".
Why on hell isn't the spelling " Lanzurie"?
Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by BeardedmeatR(m): 9:46am On Apr 10, 2022
Biafranodogwu55:
Phone suppose be fone
Physical suppose be fysicalundecided
No na fisical grin
Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by GreatAxeMan: 10:02am On Apr 10, 2022
I think a more mundane reason is that pronouncing P and S as a consonant cluster, sounds a bit like PISS

Juliearth:

Its a consonant digraph (two consonant sounds blended together to form a sound). By rule, digraphs create a new sound altogether (e.g sh, ch, th, etc) or not (as in this case). If a digraph assumes the latter in sound formation, it takes on the letter sound of either of the sounds. Thus, in this case, /PS/ by rule is sounded as /s/ or psi as this case.

One would be tempted to ask that if the letter sound is not pronounced, why then keep it there? Removing such silent sounds would constitute a breach in English language etymology.
Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by a2d3rew(m): 11:10am On Apr 10, 2022
Thanks u.
Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by Juliearth(f): 12:05pm On Apr 10, 2022
GreatAxeMan:
I think a more mundane reason is that pronouncing P and S as a consonant cluster, sounds a bit like PISS

Funny! You are not far from the truth. The mundaneness of your thought was perhaps why the English carved out these deviations. Note that this rule doesn't apply to /PS/ alone. Don't forget mn, kn, pn, kn, and so on. Most words starting with these diphthongs are of Greek origins and it was easier to pronounce them in Greek. The English, however, knew there would a whole lot of tongue- biting experiences if modifications are not made. Thus, the reason why these deviations exist.
Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by HYDEEE: 1:03pm On Apr 10, 2022
Juliearth:

And you are proud to say this?

Chaiii!

Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by Biafranodogwu55: 1:21pm On Apr 10, 2022
BeardedmeatR:
No na fisical grin
Abiigrin
Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by sorosoke101: 3:01pm On Apr 10, 2022
WoundedLamb:

Lol... you clearly didn't understood that part. He said the combination of the sounds /p/ and /s/ are allowed in the beginning of a word in Greek unlike in English. Notice he said "this combination of sounds". The word "this" implies he was specifically referring to the combination in question and not just combination of sounds in general.
simple English is so difficult for some people to comprehend

1 Like

Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by 1Sharon(f): 3:51pm On Apr 10, 2022
French is even worse
Re: Do You Know Why P Is Silent In PSYCHOLOGY? by FunkyAlhaji2015: 11:21am On Apr 22, 2022
Juliearth:

I think you should view everything in life based on remite economics, your local language has great cultural value which you should be proud of. I attended a UNDP program in Monrovia, part of the criteria for participants was our ability to speak and write our local languages. English language is now the "lingua franca" of the world because the original owners promoted proudly.

(1) (Reply)

Akanu Ibiam Fed. Poly Unwana,afikpo Ebonyi State / How To Read And Understand A Difficult Course Before Exam / FULL LIST OF JAMB AMISSION CUT OFF MARK 2019/2020 FOR UNIVERSITIES AND COLLEGES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.