Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,617 members, 7,823,702 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:38 PM

History 101: Where Was Olaudah Equaino Born? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / History 101: Where Was Olaudah Equaino Born? (238 Views)

Lagos My State Who Owns Lagos? History 101:point Of Information / Was Olaudah Equiano The First Igbo Man To Read And Write In English? / Jigawa-born JAMB Candidate Scores Highest With 311 (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

History 101: Where Was Olaudah Equaino Born? by IgbuduMonkey: 10:26pm On Apr 09, 2022
That part of Africa, known by the name of Guinea, to which the trade for slaves is carried on, extends along the coast above 3400 miles, from the Senegal to Angola, and includes a variety of kingdoms. Of these the most considerable is the kingdom of Benen, both as to extent and wealth, the richness and cultivation of the soil, the power of its king, and the number and warlike disposition of the inhabitants. It is situated nearly under the line, and extends along the coast about 170 miles, but runs back into the interior part of Africa to a distance hitherto I believe unexplored by any traveller; and seems only terminated at length by the empire of Abyssinia, near 1500 miles from its beginning. This kingdom is divided into many provinces or districts: in one of the most remote and fertile of which, called Eboe, I was born, in the year 1745, in a charming fruitful vale, named Essaka. The distance of this province from the capital of Benin and the sea coast must be very considerable; for I had never heard of white men or Europeans, nor of the sea: and our subjection to the king of Benin was little more than nominal
Re: History 101: Where Was Olaudah Equaino Born? by IgbuduMonkey: 10:27pm On Apr 09, 2022
The above is from the first chapter of Olaudah Equaino's narrative where he gives an account of where he was born in 1745.

Today, the Igbos of South East Nigeria claim that Equaino was born in Isseke somewhere close to Ihiala. However, olaudah's narrative says he was born in Essaka part of the Benin province of Eboe.

To find out where exactly in present day Nigeria Olaudah was born, it is important to analyse these places: Essaka, Eboe, Benin

(1) (Reply)

When Mohammed Ali Saved A Man / I Need Insights On A-LEVELS/DE. / Accelerated Nursing Programs Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.