Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,412 members, 7,958,208 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 10:46 AM

Was Olaudah Equiano The First Igbo Man To Read And Write In English? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Was Olaudah Equiano The First Igbo Man To Read And Write In English? (787 Views)

History 101: Where Was Olaudah Equaino Born? / He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write / Can I Still Go Back And Write My Carry Over After 2 Years? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Olaudah Equiano The First Igbo Man To Read And Write In English? by gidgiddy: 4:00pm On Nov 29, 2019
Olaudah equiano was a self thought Igbo slave who managed to buy his freedom and moved to London. He wrote and published his life story from when he was a young boy in West Africa to when he was captured, sold into slavery and regained his freedom as a young man. His book The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano was written in 1789. Was he the first Igbo man to read and write in English?
Re: Was Olaudah Equiano The First Igbo Man To Read And Write In English? by superlightning: 4:35pm On Nov 29, 2019
gidgiddy:
Olaudah equiano was a self thought Igbo slave who managed to buy his freedom and moved to London. He wrote and published his life story from when he was a young boy in West Africa to when he was captured, sold into slavery and regained his freedom as a young man. His book The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano was written in 1789. Was he the first Igbo man to read and write in English?

Yes he was. His igboness is undisputed, it's his PLACE OF BIRTH that is been debated.
Re: Was Olaudah Equiano The First Igbo Man To Read And Write In English? by kayfra: 4:41pm On Nov 29, 2019
How come no igbo bears the same name Olaudah? Same applies to his last name.

Something fishy about his progeny
Re: Was Olaudah Equiano The First Igbo Man To Read And Write In English? by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 7:24pm On Nov 29, 2019
Somehow
Re: Was Olaudah Equiano The First Igbo Man To Read And Write In English? by larryUG(m): 8:22pm On Nov 29, 2019
kayfra:
How come no igbo bears the same name Olaudah? Same applies to his last name.

Something fishy about his progeny
His real name is Olaedo (means bronze artifact in igbo) ikwuano. The portuguese in pronouncing his name spelt as Olaudah Equiano. Same way they mispelt Benin and Gave Lagos the name.

1 Like

Re: Was Olaudah Equiano The First Igbo Man To Read And Write In English? by kayfra: 8:26pm On Nov 29, 2019
larryUG:

His real name is Olaedo (means bronze artifact in igbo) ikwuano. The portuguese in pronouncing his name spelt as Olaudah Equiano. Same way they mispelt Benin and Gave Lagos the name.
Even if I accept your Portuguese explanation. Who is named Olaedo today?
Re: Was Olaudah Equiano The First Igbo Man To Read And Write In English? by larryUG(m): 8:29pm On Nov 29, 2019
kayfra:
U dont need to accept my explanation. He wrote an autobiography and published it before he died. He detailed his tribe and village and how he was kidnapped witg his sister. But suit yourself. He isnt Igbo. Thats what u wanna hear

1 Like

Re: Was Olaudah Equiano The First Igbo Man To Read And Write In English? by kayfra: 8:30pm On Nov 29, 2019
larryUG:

U dont need to accept my explanation. He wrote an autobiography and published it before he died. He detailed his tribe and village and how he was kidnapped witg his sister. But suit yourself. He isnt Igbo. Thats what u wanna hear

Did I deny anything you wrote? I have doubts about his background. That's all
Re: Was Olaudah Equiano The First Igbo Man To Read And Write In English? by superlightning: 9:44am On Dec 02, 2019
kayfra:

Did I deny anything you wrote? I have doubts about his background. That's all

You will because he is Igbo. You never see anything good in Igbo despite the fact that he claimed he was Igbo by his very own account.

Olaudah (he whose voice is loud) is one of the many Igbo names that are not popular in usage.

He mentioned major Igbo customs and wrote Igbo words in his autobiography.
Re: Was Olaudah Equiano The First Igbo Man To Read And Write In English? by superlightning: 9:47am On Dec 02, 2019
kayfra:

What kind of question is that?

How many Igbo bears Nwakerendu? How may Igbo bears ukpai?

Mind you it's olou-uda (olaudah)

I have an old uncle who bears olunnaya (voice of his father). There are name derivatives for the word olu (voice), despite the fact that it's not popular.

In those days, names of slaves were sometimes incorrectly spelt or pronounced in English.

May envy not give you heart attack o
Re: Was Olaudah Equiano The First Igbo Man To Read And Write In English? by superlightning: 9:55am On Dec 02, 2019
larryUG:

Don't mind the person. Envy is a disease that has eaten deep.
Re: Was Olaudah Equiano The First Igbo Man To Read And Write In English? by superlightning: 9:56am On Dec 02, 2019
larryUG:

No, it's oluu-uda (he whose voice is loud)
Re: Was Olaudah Equiano The First Igbo Man To Read And Write In English? by kayfra: 11:55am On Dec 02, 2019
superlightning:

What kind of question is that?

How many Igbo bears Nwakerendu? How may Igbo bears ukpai?

Mind you it's olou-uda (olaudah)

I have an old uncle who bears olunnaya (voice of his father). There are name derivatives for the word olu (voice), despite the fact that it's not popular.

In those days, names of slaves were sometimes incorrectly spelt or pronounced in English.

May envy not give you heart attack o

You still can't name a single person with that name is the point
Re: Was Olaudah Equiano The First Igbo Man To Read And Write In English? by kayfra: 11:58am On Dec 02, 2019
superlightning:

You will because he is Igbo. You never see anything good in Igbo despite the fact that he claimed he was Igbo by his very own account.

Olaudah (he whose voice is loud) is one of the many Igbo names that are not popular in usage.

He mentioned major Igbo customs and wrote Igbo words in his autobiography.

Cut that "woe is me" igbo victimization mentality. That nonsense doesn't work with me. You doth cry too much about imagined Igbo persecution. It is irritating

Argue the points and stop throwing an emotional tantrum. You guys can't even agree about the interpretation of the name Olaudah. From Bronze to the voice is loud. WTH! Now you see why I doubt his progeny
Re: Was Olaudah Equiano The First Igbo Man To Read And Write In English? by superlightning: 12:41pm On Dec 02, 2019
kayfra:

Cut that "woe is me" igbo victimization mentality. That nonsense doesn't work with me. You doth cry too much about imagined Igbo persecution. It is irritating

Argue the points and stop throwing an emotional tantrum. You guys even agree about the interpretation of the name Olaudah. From Bronze to the voice is loud. WTH! Now you see why I doubt his progeny

As if your doubt would affect his igboness.....lol.... What scholars are worried about is his birthplace not his igboness

By his OWN account, he said he is of Igbo descent, yet it PAINS your soul that he is giving the account himself.

Whether Bronze or Voice, he igboness is out of the question. Centuries of misspelt names will definitely corrupt the actual pronunciation. But to you, it just can't be Igbo. Lol....go and quench abeg, you are inconsequential.
Re: Was Olaudah Equiano The First Igbo Man To Read And Write In English? by superlightning: 12:43pm On Dec 02, 2019
kayfra:

You still can't name a single person with that name is the point

You keep wanting to believe your own childish bias....suit yourself
Re: Was Olaudah Equiano The First Igbo Man To Read And Write In English? by kayfra: 1:52pm On Dec 02, 2019
superlightning:

You keep wanting to believe your own childish bias....suit yourself
Can you just answer the question? Who do you know named Olaudah?
Re: Was Olaudah Equiano The First Igbo Man To Read And Write In English? by kayfra: 1:55pm On Dec 02, 2019
superlightning:

As if your doubt would affect his igboness.....lol.... What scholars are worried about is his birthplace not his igboness

By his OWN account, he said he is of Igbo descent, yet it PAINS your soul that he is giving the account himself.

Whether Bronze or Voice, he igboness is out of the question. Centuries of misspelt names will definitely corrupt the actual pronunciation. But to you, it just can't be Igbo. Lol....go and quench abeg, you are inconsequential.

His alleged account even has it as Eboe and still no known Igbo bears any semblance of his first or last name. It's amazing and perplexing at the same time. You can't even give a consistent meaning or translation of his names and yet you want us to buy his progeny hook, line and sinker?
Re: Was Olaudah Equiano The First Igbo Man To Read And Write In English? by superlightning: 5:12pm On Dec 03, 2019
kayfra:

His alleged account even has it as Eboe and still no known Igbo bears any semblance of his first or last name. It's amazing and perplexing at the same time. You can't even give a consistent meaning or translation of his names and yet you want us to buy his progeny hook, line and sinker?

Who are the "us"? Perhaps you mean you and yourself �......lol.....Pele o.... despite all the logical explanation for the spelling of the name at the time and the fact the oluu-uda himself referred Igbo as his ancestry, you keep asking childish and uninformed questions. Sorry.
Re: Was Olaudah Equiano The First Igbo Man To Read And Write In English? by superlightning: 5:15pm On Dec 03, 2019
kayfra:

His account is now "alleged"? Kayfra, please kill yourself with envy. Goodbye
Re: Was Olaudah Equiano The First Igbo Man To Read And Write In English? by kayfra: 10:57pm On Dec 03, 2019
superlightning:

His account is now "alleged"? Kayfra, please kill yourself with envy. Goodbye

It's an allegation or fairy tale. A made up story by an European benefactor grin
Re: Was Olaudah Equiano The First Igbo Man To Read And Write In English? by kayfra: 11:01pm On Dec 03, 2019
superlightning:

Who are the "us"? Perhaps you mean you and yourself �......lol.....Pele o.... despite all the logical explanation for the spelling of the name at the time and the fact the oluu-uda himself referred Igbo as his ancestry, you keep asking childish and uninformed questions. Sorry.

Olaudah
Olaedo
Olou-udah
Oluu-uda

We can't even make up our minds what his name is and all the names listed above are allergic to modern day Igbos. They tend not to bear the names or the Olaudah is simply a figment of someone's imagination. I suspect the later. Olaudah hoax grin
Re: Was Olaudah Equiano The First Igbo Man To Read And Write In English? by nlPoster: 11:18pm On Dec 03, 2019
You almost sound like kobojunkie.
Re: Was Olaudah Equiano The First Igbo Man To Read And Write In English? by nlPoster: 11:23pm On Dec 03, 2019
@ op

Probably not. He might have been the first "Eboe" to publish a widely read autobiography at that time, perhaps.

I just checked his book (circa 1789) and he mentioned "Natives of Eboe" living in Britain.

He had many names btw, one was Gustavus Vassa as he included on the cover.

(1) (Reply)

What Is Bitcoin Halving? / 2020 UTME: Southeast States Lead In Malpractices As JAMB Indicts 195 / Ulesson App: What It Is And How To Get Started

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.