Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,735 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial (20825 Views)

Empty Presidential Directives - Daily Trust Editorial / Scandalous Brawl In The Villa: Daily Trust Editorial / Rotimi Amaechi Vows To Take Action Over Train Ticket Racketeering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial by ogododo: 8:13am On Apr 10, 2022
When he was a candidate those many years, President Muhammadu Buhari’s most common refrain was that corruption will kill Nigeria if Nigeria does not kill corruption first. And how prescient have these presidential words proved to be. Corruption will not only kill Nigeria, the country. Quite often, it also kills Nigerians, the citizens.
The racketeering of train tickets by all manner of actors in active connivance with the officials of the Nigeria Railway Corporation (NRC) is precisely one of the many ways in which corruption kills Nigeria and Nigerians as the tragic events of the terrorist attacks on the Abuja-Kaduna train on Monday, 28th March 2022, clearly shows.

It’s been nearly two weeks since the attack on the train, but it is still not clear exactly how many people were on board that train on that night. News reports first indicated there were a staggering 970 passengers on board, but the railway corporation had details for only 362 “validated” passengers and 20 crew members. It was not until last Wednesday, 6th April, nearly ten days after the attack, that the NRC was able to say with some measure of confidence that it had still not been able to establish contact with 163 passengers and seven crew members.

NRC’s Managing Director, Fidet Okhiria, further disclosed that “191 persons on the manifest are now confirmed safe and at their various homes. Additional five persons confirmed safe today. 46 phone numbers on the manifest are still either switched off or not reachable since Tuesday morning. Thirty three phone numbers on the manifest are ringing but still no response from the other end. Sixty two phone numbers on the manifest when called, response ‘non-existent’. 22 persons are reported missing by their relatives. Eight persons confirmed dead.”

In other words, the 62 phone numbers that signaled “non-existent” may be fake details provided by supposed passengers at the time of the purchase of the tickets online. This is, in fact, the real reason why the NRC could not determine soon enough the exact number of passengers and crew on board the train. The train ticketing process is shot through with corruption. On 30th November last year, Daily Trust published an investigative story detailing how ticket racketeers connive with the officials of the NRC to create artificial scarcity of the train tickets so that passengers will be forced to buy at often exorbitant black-market rates.

While the e-ticketing platform requires all passengers to enter their personal details, including names, addresses, and phone numbers, and provides spaces for these, racketeers simply enter fake names, email addresses, and any 11-digit numbers in place of actual names and other details, and then buy off a sizable chunk of the tickets, to resale them between N4,000 and N5,000, sometimes much higher, to travellers desperate to make the next train journey. This way, a male passenger could end up with a ticket reading a female name or vice versa. And all of these despite the fact that the e-ticketing service was introduced by the NRC to check the corruption that had riddled the original over-the-counter sales of the tickets.

Like other Nigerians, both high and low, who engage in corrupt practices in a myriad of circumstances every day, the racketeers probably think themselves “smart” or “sharp”, reflecting our linguistic tendency of using positive terms to dress up criminal activity. Of course, the general tendency among Nigerians to cut corners rather than play by the rules also reinforces the corrupt practices. But corruption has its consequences, not just in the form of perpetually unrealized dreams of national development, but often directly in the form of human lives. The racketeers may have been out to make quick bucks, but their actions have had direct implications for the lives of fellow citizens at the hands of murderous terrorists.

And yet, for the deadly attack of the past fortnight, all of these appear to have been foretold, and by none more than President Buhari himself who had warned repeatedly about the dangers of corruption to the development of a young nation such as ours. All of which, raise the question of what the NRC had done, through all these years, to check corruption in its ticketing process. Over-the-counter sales had not worked. And now, the e-ticketing service has not worked either. There is one simple reason why: the rogue officials involved with ticketing at the NRC. As long as officials continue to see their position through the prism of self-gain, rather than public service, no ticketing method will be free of corruption because none can be free of some intervention by the officials of the NRC.

We call on the NRC to conduct a thorough investigation of this incident to fish out any culprits involved in racketeering and bring them to book publicly. This will serve as a warning to other officials whose actions give the corporation a bad name. Moreover, the NRC should also conduct a review of its ticketing service and come up with a fraud-free method whereby any ticket purchased will leave a paper trail of the passenger’s personal details, after all, the airlines do not face a similar problem. The NRC must realize that data is security.

https://dailytrust.com/train-ticket-racketeering-is-how-corruption-kills

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial by Amerengues2: 8:13am On Apr 10, 2022
Corruption is systemic and endemic! The bitter truth and in fact most saddening truth is that, those waiting to steal is larger than those already stealing which further dims the forlorn hope of resurrecting this country.

Save for the bandits attack, we wouldn't have gotten a wind of the level of corruption going on in the railway sector. Disparaging figures of passengers from 960 to 360 to not even equating those who paid to the eventual occupants lends credence to the fact that almost everyone is corrupt except a very few in this country with morals.

As I write, they haven't still gotten the exact figure. It thus shows how wishy-washy the affairs of every sector has been- it's been two weeks and yet nothing concrete has been done including punishing the erring officials at fault.

God won't come down to revive us, the duty is ours!

97 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial by Eastarn: 8:14am On Apr 10, 2022
Nigeria my country
Re: Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial by Nobody: 8:19am On Apr 10, 2022
Buhari policies always contradicts his words

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial by Johnny147147: 8:20am On Apr 10, 2022
Mtchew... Does Nigeria have data, nor be SIM wey i register with my face and thumb print naim dem sell give another person after just 3months of losing it. Abeggi...

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial by ogododo: 8:32am On Apr 10, 2022
Johnny147147:
Mtchew... Does Nigeria have data, nor be SIM wey i register with my face and thumb print naim dem sell give another person after just 3months of losing it. Abeggi...
No be only you, I bought one Airtel and I no use am for some time, one day I see the SIM for my bag, at MMA2, I went to customer care, I wanted to change to 3G them, na so dem tell me de new owner dey Kaduna.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial by Johnny147147: 8:33am On Apr 10, 2022
ogododo:

No be only you, I bought one Airtel and I no use am for some time, one day I see the SIM for my bag, at MMA2, I went to customer care, I wanted to change to 3G them, na so dem tell me de new owner dey Kaduna.

Lol...

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial by simpleseyi: 8:35am On Apr 10, 2022
What do you expect from Amaechi's trains? No wonder Wike the wicked banished him from his father's house

102 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial by Nbotee(m): 9:20am On Apr 10, 2022
U can't buy those train tickets online. Don't let anyone fool U. They hoard the tickets and sell them offline at the stations. We all want to pretend the govt isn't aware of it. People have been complaining ryt from when the services started but what has been done about it? Nothing.

49 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial by God1000(m): 9:45am On Apr 10, 2022
Racketeering and profiteering exist in all strata of nigerian society

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial by jazon(m): 9:45am On Apr 10, 2022
Re: Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial by MAGG0T(m): 9:46am On Apr 10, 2022
cheesy

Watch how Afonjas would invade the thread to dish out insults to their nightmare

Amaechi

6 Likes

Re: Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial by kolnel: 9:46am On Apr 10, 2022
Very interesting, just as expected.
It's hard for Africans to do things rightly.
Something must go wrong
I still think it's because we are different people who are forced to live together.
The solution might still lie in the disintegration of the entity called Nigeria.
The only reason why Nigeria is still together is corruption.
The thieving politicians know they won't stand a chance if all regions are allowed to go.
It's very sad!

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial by cbrezy(m): 9:47am On Apr 10, 2022
cheesy
Re: Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial by BrickDevo: 9:47am On Apr 10, 2022
And there was a country......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial by BlackSheriff: 9:47am On Apr 10, 2022
Get a chance to work and earn 1 Million Naira by just working from home

Offering :

Earn 1 Million Naira writing articles working from home

This project is flexible for full time workers. Just 3-4 hours of work activity per day is all you need to do this

Hurry up and apply today

Send in your application via WhatsApp to 0-7-0-5-4-0-1-1-4-5-4

It's strictly on first come,first serve basis.

Good Luck
Re: Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial by SensualMan1(m): 9:49am On Apr 10, 2022
Igbos do not make use of rickety train. AirPeace to the rescue of Igbos.
To show how selfless and accommodating we are we still accommodate the hateful Yorubas in our Airline.

Back to the train matter, Aboki with hin kettle.

Checking how many millions of Odogwu bitters sold so far in lagos alone..

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial by excomarow(m): 9:51am On Apr 10, 2022
angry
Re: Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial by NoFucksToGive: 9:53am On Apr 10, 2022
Until corruption is made death penalty into law.. people won't stop

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial by Nobody: 9:53am On Apr 10, 2022
If you think corruption will die in the Zoo know it today that it will only kill you that is trying to fight it and you alone will die. It is embedded in their blood since creation. Thank God that man is not from southeast it would have been another thing.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial by LibertyRep: 9:53am On Apr 10, 2022
If people could be brazenly steal crude oil, our major source of revenue and all the government could do is to appear helpless, then what's train ticket racketeering that will bother them.

The fact that we are indebted to China on this train and our hope of repayment is hinged on the sales of tickets should make those culpable be guilty of economic sabotage.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial by sulaak(m): 9:53am On Apr 10, 2022
Buhari warned against corruption and its implication but is currently the most corrupt president in Nigeria's history. The current minister of petroleum has done more damage to Nigeria, through his incompetence and mismanagement.

They say the first stage of corruption is incompetence. I will advise Northern Nigeria against believing that Buhari is a victim of corruption when in fact he is the perpetuator.

And yet, for the deadly attack of the past fortnight, all of these appear to have been foretold, and by none more than President Buhari himself who had warned repeatedly about the dangers of corruption to the development of a young nation such as ours.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial by Franklyspeakin: 9:56am On Apr 10, 2022
Corruption is super endemic and like some one posted up there, the number waiting to steal is larger than the number already stealing. Me sef dey line.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial by Funkyswagzz(m): 9:58am On Apr 10, 2022
Amerengues2:
Corruption is systemic and endemic! The bitter truth and in fact most saddening truth is that, those waiting to steal is larger than those already stealing which further dims the forlorn hope of resurrecting this country.

Save for the bandits attack, we wouldn't have gotten a wind of the level of corruption going on in the railway sector. Disparaging figures of passengers from 960 to 360 to not even equating those who paid to the eventual occupants lends credence to the fact that almost everyone is corrupt except a very few in this country with morals.

As I write, they haven't still gotten the exact figure. It thus shows how wishy-washy the affairs of every sector has been- it's been two weeks and yet nothing concrete has been done including punishing the erring officials at fault.

God won't come down to revive us, the duty is ours!

Bro you've said it all. The country is in a very big mess and it will only get worse. They are waiting for dangote refinery to start operating so they can easily launder money.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial by Austin4Jesus(m): 10:00am On Apr 10, 2022
The Regime that told Nigerians they will fight corruption is thesame Regime teaching the already corrupt Nigerians and politicians how to be more corrupt.. APC .... Change.. We can see the change indeed..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial by Honourable1901(m): 10:01am On Apr 10, 2022
Omo train ticket sef get black market? Shuu I no surprise even school fees sef get black market

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Train Ticket Racketeering Is How Corruption Kills - Daily Trust Editorial by tonididdy(m): 10:02am On Apr 10, 2022
SensualMan1:
Igbos do not make use of rickety train. AirPeace to the rescue of Igbos.
To show how selfless and accommodating we are we still accommodate the hateful Yorubas in our Airline.

Back to the train matter, Aboki with hin kettle.

Checking how many millions of Odogwu bitters sold so far in lagos alone..
Stop this angry
Why air peace nor park e plane for only Onitsha airport, why dem dey Lagos airport?
Make hunger kill oyenma?

The bitter truth is that it's only "hungry, poverty stricken" igbos that want a fresh start ( 2nd chance) that are wailing highest for the Biafra land and carry tribalism for head.

The likes of cubana, emoney... Name all the big igbo Lords do not give a wink about NK or imaginary Biafra. Who wants to go start life a fresh again under uncertainty when you are already a mega millionaire under Nigeria?

Ps: I'm an Edo man, STOP THE TRIBALISM.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fashola: Right Thinking Nigerians Will Vote For APC In 2023 / What's The Usefulness Of A University Certificate In The Presidential Election / 18 Houses Seized From Aliyu Usman, Dasuki’s Associate By EFCC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.