Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,768 members, 7,809,958 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:51 PM

MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking (34656 Views)

Woman Uses Her ‘Spider-Woman’ Skills To Gain Entry Into Banking Hall / Mtn’s MOMO Bank "Mistakenly" Transfers N22.3 Billion To 8,000 Customers / Julius Berger Diversifies Into Agriculture, To Process Cashew In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by fineboynl(m): 1:00pm On Apr 11, 2022
If one can fund account via recharge card. They will have more edge over bank and pos operator.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by Nyanmiridunce: 1:00pm On Apr 11, 2022
nero2face:
MTN succeeded in Nigeria bcuz they were the first telecommunication company, no reasonable Nigeria will prefer to bank with their so called bank when we have world class banks around us (and I don't see them giving any special kind of banking aside what we're having already)...not with all the wahala they're giving us with their network
Econet was the first telco in Nigeria. Get your facts right

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by LocalMan2(m): 1:01pm On Apr 11, 2022
Kingpele:
Hmmmmm I love it when I see foreigners coming here to do business and grow it to enviable positions, while indigenous people of Nigeria especially the youths are busy cursing their country and an idler.praying to japa to another man's country..impatience, laziness, pride and greed is the problem with many Nigerian youths, u see Togo youths, Ghana youths, benin Republic youths taking over our humble but noble jobs from Abuja to lagos ,while some youths will rather stay at a betting shop till dusk..if M TN didn't see what the japa crew are not seeing, they won't have to expand their business here but would have diminished their investment here
So what's your point? People have dreams, people need to japa because it's part of their dreams too. Besides not everyone born here wants to die here Oga. You be tree wey no dey move around? undecided
Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by Born2Breed(f): 1:01pm On Apr 11, 2022
MTN are too smart.

With this move just watch as they wil become the number one fintech in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by todugo(m): 1:06pm On Apr 11, 2022
nero2face:
MTN succeeded in Nigeria bcuz they were the first telecommunication company, no reasonable Nigeria will prefer to bank with their so called bank when we have world class banks around us (and I don't see them giving any special kind of banking aside what we're having already)...not with all the wahala they're giving us with their network
That's not true, MTN network connection is stronger than other Network.When you buy data or credit for calls, it last longer than any other network. I would say their service is more stable than any network that's why they have more customers.
CTL cable services came before DSTV but DSTV is the Giant because of the services they provide which is better than any other cable service providers.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by Naughtysex: 1:12pm On Apr 11, 2022
nero2face:
Econet came before MTN sir
That's why Econet was given 0802 and mtn 0803

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by maasoap(m): 1:13pm On Apr 11, 2022
nero2face:
MTN succeeded in Nigeria bcuz they were the first telecommunication company,

No, you're wrong. MTN wasn't the first telecommunication network in Nigeria. And that's not what made it successful.

no reasonable Nigerian will prefer to bank with their so called bank when we have world class banks around us (and I don't see them giving any special kind of banking aside what we're having already)...not with all the wahala they're giving us with their network

The use of the word "reasonable" is out of point. Secondly, I prefer PALMPAY to any Nigerian conventional bank at the moment, Palmpay service delivery is out of this world! So, if Palmpay could beat Nigerian banks in terms of fast service delivery (transactions), what stops MTN from doing the same or better?

2 Likes

Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by APOSTLECHUMA: 1:14pm On Apr 11, 2022
Me I have something against the name of the bank, sounds like mumu bank. MTN BANK OF NIGERIA SHOULD BE IT'S NAME.
Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by Oyiboman69: 1:18pm On Apr 11, 2022
KillerCrocodile:
At least we can still get positive news coming out of Nigeria...

Good development...

The charges per transaction will be regulated by CBN to ensure that it is reasonable.

And your money in your mobile wallet will attract interest every quarter.

That is what they are doing in Ghana...
at what %?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by SunTzu123(m): 1:24pm On Apr 11, 2022
WiszyFraud:
Did you know??

Once people realize they can’t manipulate you, they start to dislike you. .

lipsrsealed

Actually, when people realize they can't manipulate you, they start "manipulating" how other people see you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by Babaken(m): 1:25pm On Apr 11, 2022
They are doing this because the momo business in Ghana will soon collapse due to the E-levy that's been introduce into the system by Ghana GOVERNMENT most people are already withdrawing their money from Momo (mobile money) because of the extra charges.

It will also affect banking systems in Nigeria the way it hurt Ghana banking business is very easy and convenient pos will be affected too it creates more jobs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by Babaken(m): 1:27pm On Apr 11, 2022
KillerCrocodile:
At least we can still get positive news coming out of Nigeria...

Good development...

The charges per transaction will be regulated by CBN to ensure that it is reasonable.

And your money in your mobile wallet will attract interest every quarter.

That is what they are doing in Ghana...
It makes payments very easy and convenient

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by ZUBY77(m): 1:28pm On Apr 11, 2022
Something that has been in Ghana and Cotonou and even Ceroun for many years

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by BJanta: 1:32pm On Apr 11, 2022
nero2face:

Econet , now Airtel, was the 1st telecom company in Nigeria, not MTN .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by nauto: 1:37pm On Apr 11, 2022
Good
Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by merits(m): 1:40pm On Apr 11, 2022
politicoNG:
The approval gives the firm the leave to operate virtually all the services offered by conventional commercial banks except granting credit and processing foreign exchange transactions.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/523144-breaking-mtn-nigeria-diversifies-into-banking-gets-final-approval-for-momo-bank.html
momo bank ko,mama bank ni.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by Kcboy0806(m): 1:53pm On Apr 11, 2022
Expect same issues they give to their customers on their network.
Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by yemi1504: 1:53pm On Apr 11, 2022
maasoap:

No, you're wrong. MTN wasn't the first telecommunication network in Nigeria. And that's not what made it successful.

The use of the word "reasonable" is out of point. Secondly, I prefer PALMPAY to any Nigerian conventional bank at the moment, Palmpay service delivery is out of this world! So, if Palmpay could beat Nigerian banks in terms of fast service delivery (transactions), what stops MTN from doing the same or better?

You can say that again! I use Palmpay too and they are the best Fintech for me even though they don't have ATM Cards like other Fintechs which is their only flaw, their transactions just work and they have good network and little to no network downtimes! Also, they give me peace of mind too! Nothing like Freezing my account like Kuda does or having unstable network almost all the time like Opay.

1 Like

Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by gidson12(m): 2:08pm On Apr 11, 2022
nero2face:

I bet you a a teenager........MTN is not actually the first Telco in Nigeria.......they are the biggest doest not translate to being the first, this misinformation nullifies every other meaningless points you try making to smear them.
Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by BuddhaPalm(m): 2:08pm On Apr 11, 2022
nero2face:

It will likely be a "convenience" service similar to something like PayPal.

In plenty other African countries instead of POS stands, as they have "mobile money" tied to their phone numbers.

It's super convenient and many people will use it to send money and also pay for goods and services.
Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by pinkyruledworld(m): 2:09pm On Apr 11, 2022
nero2face:

Econet came before MTN. In Nigeria, MTN is not the first.
Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by naijapikin2(m): 2:21pm On Apr 11, 2022
Rip off season 2
Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by KillerCrocodile: 2:45pm On Apr 11, 2022
Oyiboman69:
at what %?

The interest percentage is unknown for now

but it May not be less than what banks are giving to customers... Especially if MTN Nigeria Mobile money starts giving out soft loans like they do in Ghana and elsewhere...

CBN would work out the interest percentage payable to MOMO customers because it would be wrong for MTN to hold your money in their system and not pay you interest...

I just hope our CBN have done their homework before they issued this license to Telco Operators to start mobile money in Nigeria..

I expect Glo Nigeria to get their license soon because they are already doing mobile money transactions in Ghana.
Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by IdJack(m): 3:02pm On Apr 11, 2022
Get your self positioned for wealth.

Visit my signature
Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by GreyLaw(m): 3:07pm On Apr 11, 2022
Kingpele:
Hmmmmm I love it when I see foreigners coming here to do business and grow it to enviable positions, while indigenous people of Nigeria especially the youths are busy cursing their country and an idler.praying to japa to another man's country..impatience, laziness, pride and greed is the problem with many Nigerian youths, u see Togo youths, Ghana youths, benin Republic youths taking over our humble but noble jobs from Abuja to lagos ,while some youths will rather stay at a betting shop till dusk..if M TN didn't see what the japa crew are not seeing, they won't have to expand their business here but would have diminished their investment here

You are simply playing the ostrich. Nigeria has serious problems! Not all youths are leaving. Millions of youths are here creating startups everyday. They fail they start again; they fail they start again. Nigerian youths are amongst the most hardworking in the world. Not everybody is lazy.

Do you know that there are thousands of startups by Nigerians that have succeded and are doing well?

There is no difference between what you said and what Buhari said. Buhari said Nigerian youths are lazy and you just said the same thing, generalising the whole populace. What sort of education do people get and they cannot make proper statements?

Apart from MTN don't you know many companies folded in Nigeria? Do you know what insecurity, epileptic power supply, poor roads, corruption and ethnic irridentism have cost Nigeria? Or you live in Utopia and see through your own rose-tinted glasses?

Do you know people travel put of the country because they have a right to? Do you know people naturalise in other countries because they simply want to? There are several reasons people leave a country.
Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by Nobody: 3:29pm On Apr 11, 2022
nero2face:

They were not the first telecommunications company in Nigeria. Nitel was. And Econet was the first GSM network in Nigeria. MTN was the second
Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by udomonday: 4:05pm On Apr 11, 2022
FalseProphet1:
MTN Bank hmmm...

I see them becoming worse than access bank, I see them debiting customers for checking their account balance, I see them debiting customers for checking their MTN call balance, I see them debiting customers for accessing the internet.

I see them debiting those who borrowed money with their MTN lines and threw the lines away thinking they're smart, and those owing them various amount of credit. I see them debiting customers for making international calls and sending international text messages.

I see customers complaining bitterly, I see them leaving the bank.

This I have seen.
then you must be suffering from glaucoma.
Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by raphealolami(m): 4:21pm On Apr 11, 2022
You actually said my mind.

They should have created a new line of business if what propelled their decision is value and not greed.
Why reinvent the will or make the already saturated and regulated financial sector more problematic. Why not bring new business to Nigeria.

nero2face:
Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by Lionnation: 4:23pm On Apr 11, 2022
nero2face:
econet was the first network in Nigeria not MTN
Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by VirileNelly2420: 4:38pm On Apr 11, 2022
nero2face:
Am no trumpeting for anyone, I don't get shishi from any. ..but MTN rocks at my end Dan every other telecoms put together. Internet services, top-notch!
Re: MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking by Allisgud: 4:39pm On Apr 11, 2022
nero2face:
Imagine baking with Mtn while ur registered phone number is Glo...ah swear, at the end of the month ur alert charges alone will shock ur village people
I think this is one of the reasons they want to venture into banking,y dey don't want to be paying for all those charges

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bus Carrying Goods Got Burnt Up On 3rd Mainland Bridge Today (Photos) / Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? / Loan Sharks Persist With Cruel Recovery Practices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.