Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,025 members, 7,818,027 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:23 AM

Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister (9918 Views)

Why Femi Falana Was Not Made A Minister - Sahara Reporters / Suggest A Portfolio For Babatunde Fashola As A Minister... / How Mark Ruled Ashafa Out Of Order And Approved Obanikoro As A Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by fxtopedia(m): 4:52am On Jul 07, 2011
Congrats madam!
To those that want die of ''tribalism'' kindly hug transformer.

She is a Nigerian simple.
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by sizzlers(m): 6:48am On Jul 07, 2011
i like the woman pass Gej
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by jampro123(m): 6:56am On Jul 07, 2011
Let us think of it my people the solution to Nigerian problem does not need an IVY educated whiz kid. We have the polices but we lack the execution because of what? I wiill tell you my people CORRUPTION and GREED. We can bring the present IMF director or even Gordon Brown. You know what they cannot deliever at all because first we dont have a system and also there is so much graft in the system called governance in Nigeria.I listened to Okonjo Iwealla yesterday, all she said we already know them. Who does not know we need power to drive this economy, who does not know that we are running an over bloated government. Tell me who among us here does not know all these? First and foremost we need to cut the cost of this government. Look at Britain the run a parlimentary system of government and this has proved to be cost effective. Also in that same Britain the run a welfare system type of government yeah I know you will say taxes are high there but we all see what the tax money is been used for. In Nigeria there is alot of waste even in our own private homes and lives we waste alot. We dont believe in planning as a result of greed which is borne out of no one having that feeling that Nigeria must be strong. I happen to live in Douala now and it pains me when I look at the way they have light for 24/7/365 in a year. I begin to wonder these people dont have any Bath Nnaji or  Ngozi Iwealla. All we need in Nigeria is to copy the Asian system after all kalu Idika Kalu was the one who guide South Korea to what it is today through their IMF/World bank loan repayment schedule. So you see it is not a matter of having Whiz kids in government but a matter of stopping wasteages and corruption in our system. We must show we love Nigeria and want to make her great again.
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by Rhino5dm: 7:12am On Jul 07, 2011
I like this woman. Thank God she is from south south.
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by Diligence: 7:44am On Jul 07, 2011
Ka ayi Tigbue! Zogbue!! Ligbue Regions: SW, NW, NE, NC

Bia Dozie Regions: SE & SS

But Why??
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by igboboy1(m): 7:56am On Jul 07, 2011
Diligence:

Ka ayi Tigbue! Zogbue!! Ligbue Regions: SW, NW, NE, NC

Bia Dozie Regions: SE & SS

But Why??

Juo Ndi no' na Abuja
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by igboboy1(m): 7:58am On Jul 07, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Thank God indeed o and Delta at that
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by dempeople(m): 8:53am On Jul 07, 2011
igbo boy:

Juo Ndi no' na Abuja

Echem na-ikwuru na i maghi asu igbo. Ginizi bu ihe a i dere? Oburozi Igbo?
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by kepsi123(m): 9:07am On Jul 07, 2011
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister
« #63 on: Today at 01:20:44 AM »

The Ibos, who are found not only in SE but also in Delta & Rivers are, v talented
Through marriage they are colonizing the Imokes, Akpabios, Objs etc
They are the unseen hands in majority of facets booming here

This is my first post to naira land. Just registered after reading through most comments. I need to commend all members who post intelligent comments and allow the rest of us to benefit from in one way or another to their wealth of experience. I also need to highlight empty-headed bigot like the fellow whose comments appear above. Colonize Cross riverians and Akwa ibomites? Give me a break. Sorry to disappoint you but it will take aeons for your state to get to the level of CRS in terms of standard of living. Same way of thinking changed the outcome of the civil war. Please in the name God of stop exhibit this appalling sense of ignorance. There are intelligent people out there who are reading. If you need someone to rant against do the normal Yoruba and Hausa you are obsessed with. Leave Akwa-Cross alone. We will never degenerate to this level.
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by Yankee01: 9:15am On Jul 07, 2011
jampro123:

Let us think of it my people the solution to Nigerian problem does not need an IVY educated whiz kid. We have the polices but we lack the execution because of what? I wiill tell you my people CORRUPTION and GREED. We can bring the present IMF director or even Gordon Brown. You know what they cannot deliever at all because first we dont have a system and also there is so much graft in the system called governance in Nigeria.I listened to Okonjo Iwealla yesterday, all she said we already know them. Who does not know we need power to drive this economy, who does not know that we are running an over bloated government. Tell me who among us here does not know all these? First and foremost we need to cut the cost of this government. Look at Britain the run a parlimentary system of government and this has proved to be cost effective. Also in that same Britain the run a welfare system type of government yeah I know you will say taxes are high there but we all see what the tax money is been used for. In Nigeria there is alot of waste even in our own private homes and lives we waste alot. We dont believe in planning as a result of greed which is borne out of no one having that feeling that Nigeria must be strong. I happen to live in Douala now and it pains me when I look at the way they have light for 24/7/365 in a year. I begin to wonder these people dont have any Bath Nnaji or Ngozi Iwealla. All we need in Nigeria is to copy the Asian system after all kalu Idika Kalu was the one who guide South Korea to what it is today through their IMF/World bank loan repayment schedule. So you see it is not a matter of having Whiz kids in government but a matter of stopping wasteages and corruption in our system. We must show we love Nigeria and want to make her great again.

Well said Guy! cant just agree less.
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by enyojo(f): 9:22am On Jul 07, 2011

NGOZI : ISLAMIC BANKING IS OK!
Former Finance minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala yesterday urged opponents of non-interest Islamic banking in the country to dispassionately understand the idea, which she said is simply another form of banking that is functioning well in other countries.
Okonjo-Iweala, a managing director at World Bank and now minister-designate, spoke while fielding questions from senators at the Senate in Abuja during the confirmation hearing for ministerial nominees.

She said Islamic banking system is being adopted by many countries in the world and that it can function well along with other forms of banking that exist in Nigeria.

“On the issue of Islamic banking, I will say we should look at it without a lot of emotion. I think that as far as I understand it and again it is a question that posed to the Central Bank Governor who proposed it, to my opinion it is another form of banking, where instead of charging interest, the people who take loans from this system share in the profits of the bank,” she said.

“It is just another way to give certain people of the world population who have difficulties with the notion of interests a way to participate in the banking system without having to deal with that issue of interest payment. But there are commissions charged within this system, there are service charges and there is profit sharing.

“I think what we need what we need to do is to unpack what this system is about and try to understand it. When we can look at it dispassionately, it is another form of banking and hopefully, in many countries of the world that are increasingly opening up this type of non-interest charge. From the evidence, I think it’s good to look at actual implementation in those countries, it seems to be functioning relatively well alongside other forms of banking. I will leave that there.”

On the proposed limit to cash withdrawals by the CBN in its drive to attain a cashless society, Okonjo-Iweala said though it is a good idea and in line with global practices, there is need for caution in its implementation.

“I would also be a little careful because it might have the opposite effect. If you implement a minimum or a maximum withdrawal limit, people will decide to keep money under their mattresses and not put them in the bank because they will think they will not be able to withdraw them,” she said. “We have to go about it carefully, I like the objective as they said of moving towards a cashless society, but I think we should implement it with deliberation.”

Commenting on the issue of removal of fuel subsidy, Okonjo-Iweala proposed a partial removal of subsidy as it relates to those that can afford the commodities being subsidised.

“I don’t think the issue of subsidy is an ideological one. The problem is we subsidise for both those that are rich that can do without subsidy and the poor people that really need it. Having a generalised subsidy such as we have is not the right thing to do. We have to find a way to subsidise only for those that need it,” she said.

Okonjo-Iweala gave an indication that she could once again dump the ministerial job like she did under former President Olusegun Obasanjo should the circumstances become unfavourable.

She said, “I served the country for about three years and when I determined that I could no longer perform and give to the country the way that I would want I resigned, which is the honourable thing to do. So I did not runaway. When the circumstances are appropriate to serve you serve and if they are not appropriate you go and do something else.”

The former minister who may be re-assigned the Finance ministry promised to contribute to the much needed economic growth of the country by working selflessly to achieve the targets.
http://www.dailytrust.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22595:ngozi-islamic-banking-is-ok&catid=2:lead-stories&Itemid=8
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by smaller(m): 9:50am On Jul 07, 2011
The senator referred to 'ISLAMIC ' banking in his question, but I didnt hear Dr Ngozi use the same term in her response. Instead she referred to it as 'NON INTEREST' banking.
I guess thats the bone of contention in the matter.
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by Pafuri(m): 10:40am On Jul 07, 2011
I beg to differ. NON-INTEREST Banking should be sweet music to anyone's hear. But these folks are religious bigots so much that the only thing they are hearing is ISLAMIC, because a bigot like them chose to call it that. You would wish that Nigerian lawmakers would read a little bit. Me I fear o.
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by Gbawe: 10:58am On Jul 07, 2011
Pafuri:

I beg to differ. NON-INTEREST Banking should be sweet music to anyone's hear. But these folks are religious bigots so much that the only thing they are hearing is ISLAMIC, because a bigot like them chose to call it that. You would wish that Nigerian lawmakers would read a little bit. Me I fear o.

Indeed. Non-Interest or Islamic banking , for those not willing to pander to ignorance, should be viewed simply as just another addition to provide more choice and options as part of a healthy array of banking services. In cosmopolitan and enlightened societies, most folks would not have any problem with Islamic banking. Adults can choose to use it or reject it. There is no "Islamization" of Nigeria going on. No one will force you to use banking services you have no interest in. Simple.  Islamic banks are in the UK and no one thinks of any "Islamization" agenda.
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by maclatunji: 11:19am On Jul 07, 2011
See GEJ already showing-off his new trophy on Facebook:

I did say in my inaugural speech that I will (with God's help) "never, never let you down". I will not surround myself with yes men and women rather I am prepared to go to the farthest corners of the earth to bring into government some of the best Nigeria has to offer which is why I nominated a number of brilliant Nigerians including Mrs. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala to serve with me. GEJ

I think this man is too simple-minded for the complex position he holds,
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by nduchucks: 11:23am On Jul 07, 2011
to my opinion it is another form of banking, where instead of charging interest, the people who take loans from this system share in the profits of the bank,” she said.

Would someone be kind enough to explain what Ngozi means by the statement above? How can people who obtain loans from the bank share in the bank's profits? Why should a person obtain a no-interest loan, use the money for his own benefit and then turn arround and share in the bank's profit?

I heard her make the statement on TV. My question is, was madam on Ogogoro when she made that statement?
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by multibabe(f): 11:32am On Jul 07, 2011
she as always been a pride to African women, i just hope they(PDP) will not corrupt and politicise her lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by ideylaff: 1:35pm On Jul 07, 2011
Let us think of it my people the solution to Nigerian problem does not need an IVY educated whiz kid. We have the polices but we lack the execution because of what? I wiill tell you my people CORRUPTION and GREED. We can bring the present IMF director or even Gordon Brown. You know what they cannot deliever at all because first we dont have a system and also there is so much graft in the system called governance in Nigeria.I listened to Okonjo Iwealla yesterday, all she said we already know them. Who does not know we need power to drive this economy, who does not know that we are running an over bloated government. Tell me who among us here does not know all these? First and foremost we need to cut the cost of this government. Look at Britain the run a parlimentary system of government and this has proved to be cost effective. Also in that same Britain the run a welfare system type of government yeah I know you will say taxes are high there but we all see what the tax money is been used for. In Nigeria there is alot of waste even in our own private homes and lives we waste alot. We dont believe in planning as a result of greed which is borne out of no one having that feeling that Nigeria must be strong. I happen to live in Douala now and it pains me when I look at the way they have light for 24/7/365 in a year. I begin to wonder these people dont have any Bath Nnaji or  Ngozi Iwealla. All we need in Nigeria is to copy the Asian system after all kalu Idika Kalu was the one who guide South Korea to what it is today through their IMF/World bank loan repayment schedule. So you see it is not a matter of having Whiz kids in government but a matter of stopping wasteages and corruption in our system. We must show we love Nigeria and want to make her great again.

@jampro123,  Well said. bro, all ds jumping up and down cos of Ngozu is like Enugu Rangers FC signing Messi to play with the rest of the half baked crooked team.

I pray she is allowed to do her work/wek, but I have my doubts

We too dey bow 4 Cambridge this, Harvard that 4 Nija, when Nigeria was running well, how many of them go these IVY league schools.

All the BRIC nations even Ghana, Dubai and co are not run by IVY league people,  we need to solve our basic problems inwards,

I have nothing againt IVY league, but our dependent on them is so embarassing,

Food 4 Thought. address The Fundermentals and the micro issue or else , na story again oooo

@ multibabe  says: she as always been a pride to African women, i just hope they(PDP) will not corrupt  and politicise her 

@ multibabe  , u make me LOL pesin wey don dey wear PDP Ankara for last dispensation."u no see her and aunti OBY for Eagle square, b4, you can't be among vultures and not rub shoulders with them, no way,

Hope ds appointment is not just a credibility show for PDP and GEJ
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by ideylaff: 5:30pm On Jul 07, 2011

to my opinion it is another form of banking, where instead of charging interest, the people who take loans from this system share in the profits of the bank,” she said.

Would someone be kind enough to explain what Ngozi means by the statement above? How can people who obtain loans from the bank share in the bank's profits? Why should a person obtain a no-interest loan, use the money for his own benefit and then turn arround and share in the bank's profit?

I heard her make the statement on TV. My question is, was madam on Ogogoro when she made that statement?

thank you jare @ ndu_chucks when ur talking to people who happen to be majority dumb, know zilch and all interested in Ghana must go + benefits and allowances, you can say anything and get away with it,

Okonjo just shakara dem oooo and everywhere dey shake gbiri gbiri, Fresh Air or Fresh Poooo, pick one,
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by cvibe: 8:13pm On Jul 07, 2011
Fresh Air
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by enyojo(f): 8:23pm On Jul 07, 2011
^Fresh Mess
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jul 07, 2011
I think she's overrated, she can not be underrated though!
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by dipoluv: 8:42pm On Jul 07, 2011
Good one Ngozi Nwela i pray they let this intelligent woman work
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by damipaul(m): 9:01pm On Jul 07, 2011
jampro123:

Let us think of it my people the solution to Nigerian problem does not need an IVY educated whiz kid. We have the polices but we lack the execution because of what?,

i beg to differ on this line of thought. Nigeria's real problem's her policies. It doesn't give room for the local markets, gives our big bellied politicians room to squander all our wealth etc. Besides you mentioned Kalu Idika Kalu, i read how he impacted Imo, on Nigeriaworld, using the policies he had successfully used in Asia, It was General Ike Nwachukwu who brought Kalu Idika Kalu to limelight having appointed him the finance commissioner of Imo state in 1984. It was while serving Imo State that he introduced the concept called Imo Formula. The Imo formula was an unusual economic solution to unusual economic problems. Prior to his appointment as the state commissioner for finance, Imo state civil servants especially, teachers were owed salary arrears running into several months. While the arrears for the civil servants proper were somewhere at between one month to three months, those of the teachers were at almost eight months.
Kalu Idika Kalu's solution to this problem was simple. Freeze all civil servants' allowances such as leave, car, housing and other bonuses. Use money so frozen to pay teachers their basic salaries while the state intensified efforts to shore up its finance base so that in time Imo civil servants' and teachers' salaries will begin to be paid as at when due. If at the end of the month, every worker had money to take home, moral would be boosted, productivity will rise and the trickle down would overwhelm and check the burgeoning impact of poverty. In addition, every week, he addressed a press conference explaining to the people his new economic initiative designed to help the state achieve economic and social prosperity. What most of us did not know about Kalu, was that he was mimicking an economic policy which he and other egg headed technocrats had just planned perfected and implemented in East Asia and the Pacific Region under the auspices of the World Bank. We need good Policy makers, Ngozi is one of such!
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by vicenzo(m): 9:11pm On Jul 07, 2011
kepsi123:

Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister
« #63 on: Today at 01:20:44 AM »

The Ibos, who are found not only in SE but also in Delta & Rivers are, v talented
Through marriage they are colonizing the Imokes, Akpabios, Objs etc
They are the unseen hands in majority of facets booming here

This is my first post to naira land. Just registered after reading through most comments. I need to commend all members who post intelligent comments and allow the rest of us to benefit from in one way or another to their wealth of experience. I also need to highlight empty-headed bigot like the fellow whose comments appear above. Colonize Cross riverians and Akwa ibomites? Give me a break. Sorry to disappoint you but it will take aeons for your state to get to the level of CRS in terms of standard of living. Same way of thinking changed the outcome of the civil war. Please in the name God of stop exhibit this appalling sense of ignorance. There are intelligent people out there who are reading. If you need someone to rant against do the normal Yoruba and Hausa you are obsessed with. Leave Akwa-Cross alone. We will never degenerate to this level.

"it will take aeons for your state to get to the standard of CRS in terms of standard of living"

Mr man,by this statement above,you have become guilty of the offense you were calling the other poster on.This your above claim is false,get it into your thick head that your CRC doesnt have better living standard than any SE state,ebonyi maybe,but abia,anambra,imo,enugu,NO WAY,available stats have it that no region in nigeria has better standard of living than the SE,which is why we have the lowest poverty rate in the country.

And the civil war comment? I hope you are joking,because despite the loss,ndiigbo is still better of than any nigerian group,your efik group don't benefit more from nigeria than ndiigbo,when was the last time an efik was in the "central government" ?
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by vicenzo(m): 9:21pm On Jul 07, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Hell yeah! Thank God she is an IGBO. grin
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by enyojo(f): 9:29pm On Jul 07, 2011
^ I will rather thank God she is a NIGERIAN

but if she misyarn or underperform dis time, I'd be d first to deny her!
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by vicenzo(m): 9:36pm On Jul 07, 2011
fxtopedia:

Congrats madam!
To those that want die of ''tribalism'' kindly hug transformer.

She is a Nigerian simple.

Not so fast,she is a nigerian now that she is on top of her game,abi? When things goes awry(God forbid),nigerians will realize that she is IGBO,okwa ya?
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by vicenzo(m): 9:41pm On Jul 07, 2011
enyojo:

^ I will rather thank God she is a NIGERIAN

but if she misyarn or underperform dis time, I'd be d first to deny her!

See! Just like i thought.
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by datola: 9:55pm On Jul 07, 2011
Mrs Ngozi Okonjo Iwenla (big book) is eminently qualified, my reason as follows in their order of importance to present day Nigeria:

She is not corrupt (at least for now)
She is not afraid to step on toes.
She believes in the Nigerian project. One of the very few technocrats in the west that stick to African fabrics.
She is the round peg in the round hole (finance work experience, sound education).
Madam has good looks. Good luck to her!

Education is not too critical here.

For you information Dimeji BankOle equally (if not "betterlly"wink attended the best schools in the world: Reading, Oxford, Harvard.

Aganga too has the experience.  UK MD of Goldman Sachs is not a joke! He is not however as credible and bold as madam Iwenla.

Sanusi Lamido with Economics degrees from ABU and another in Sharia from Sudan is a better performer compared to our so called world class professor(s).

I pray the Lord help her so that she does not lose (my) respect like the once adorable Dora.

Personal message to Anti Ngozi: If you see Dr Reuben Abati, my (once) icon, say me well to him. Tell him I am praying for him and that I am not too angry he did not raise the subject of his political ambition when we met at the Airport two sundays back.

Regards,
Tunde Olaniyan
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by bolshoi: 12:10am On Jul 08, 2011
[b]PLEASE CHECK OUT MY SIGNATURE, YOU'LL BE GLAD YOU DID!!!

ONE LOVE PEOPLE
[/b]
Re: Ngozi Really Lectured The Senators, Now Confirmed A Minister by VoodooDoll(m): 1:04am On Jul 08, 2011
NOI is good for Nigeria,

Please let's give someone credit where credit is deserved. And not I am not igbo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Imo Women Threaten To Go Naked Over Failed Roads / Courts Nullifies 81 Elections, Upturns 15 Others, Says INEC / Nigerians Losing Hope On Change Promised Them - NLC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.