Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,016 members, 7,835,440 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:17 AM

My Loko-oweto Road Experience And The Tales Of Okanga - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Loko-oweto Road Experience And The Tales Of Okanga (424 Views)

Nasarawa Relocates Emir Sanusi To Awe From Loko Village / Deposed Emir Sanusi On Exile In Loko, Nasarawa Village / Fashola Inspects Oweto Bridge Nearing Completion - Picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Loko-oweto Road Experience And The Tales Of Okanga by PeterOnu(m): 5:38pm On Apr 12, 2022
[b][/b]By Sunny Green Itodo

Sometimes, the most memorable adventures are the ones you never prepared for. And talking about impromptu adventures, here is my own story.

My superior at work called me around 7 pm on Wednesday (April 6, 2022) and asked me to take the first bus to Otukpo, Benue State, the next morning, to cover the official declaration ceremony of a House of Representatives Aspirant for Ado/Okpokwu/Ogbadibo Federal Constituency, Chief Barr. Phillip Agbese, at Igumale, the headquarters of Ado Local Government Area of Benue State.

Initially, I was fidgeting, especially as I never anticipated any journey at that time. But after overpowering the aura of laziness around me, I packed a few clothes and some essentials into a small cross shoulder bag, ready for the next day's journey.

I woke before my alarm on the morning of the D-day. I had set a 5:00 am alarm on my mobile phone but woke up around 4:47 am, 13 minutes before the alarm. I meditated until 5:11 am. Then I went to the bathroom to take my bath.

After bathing, I picked up the small bag to check if everything was intact, especially my phone charger, pen and notebook. You know, the importance of recording and writing materials to a reporter is akin to hoe and cutlass to a farmer.

I left my house around FAAN Staff Quarters, Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, before 6:00 am. But spent more than two hours navigating my way to the motor park, switching taxis from Airport to Lugbe, Lugbe to Area 1, Area 1 to Nyanya, Nyanya to Mararaba, and Mararaba to Sharp Corner, where the garage for vehicles plying the Loko-Oweto route is located.

The delay was caused by the morning rush and its accompanying gridlock.

By the time I arrived at the park, the first, second and third buses had already left.

I had no choice but to wait for the fourth bus, a six-seater Sharon vehicle, which took more than an hour to be filled.

We finally kicked off the journey at about 10:17 am. But it was not up to 2 minutes before the driver, a young man in his mid 30s, decided to observe the traditional ritual of ‘branching’ at a gas station. We had to endure a few more minutes of filling the station queue due to the scarcity of the product at the time. After filling his tank, the driver appeared set for the business of the day. Benue here we come! An obvious sound roared from the exhaust pipe.

While the driver ‘wheels’ his way through the ever-busy Keffi-Abuja road, many things kept creeping into my mind.

What would be the outcome of the journey?

I was a bit scared because it was my first time plying the storied Loko-Oweto enroute Benue.

Before now, I had read stories of constant fatal crashes on the road due to its zigzag nature.

There were also stories of kidnappers terrorizing people along the route.

This further compounded my fears.

I have a mission, Igumale is the destination, I soliloquized.

As the journey progressed I returned from my stream of thoughts to enjoy the trip.

Not too long, a co-traveler, who was seated with the driver at the front, waved away the speculations with the back of his palm, saying they are "myths", when a first-timer raised concern about the rumoured notorious nature of the road.

He said that the route has become his favourite for sometime now because it reduces travel time to Benue South and Southeastern Nigeria from Abuja, adding that since he has been plying the route, he has never experienced any of the ugly myths about the road.
The driver also corroborated, saying the road is safe and faster.

I usually travel with my earpiece but on this journey, I did not dare to because I was trying to manage my phone battery conscious of the fact that I was going for a recording duty. So, I was forced to hear every discussion in the vehicle.

As we journey through towns in Nasarawa State; Keffi, Angwa-Magudu, Angwan Daula, the tales of one man continued to dominate discussions in the vehicle.

Passenger after passenger, incessantly and passionately eulogise the name "Okanga" for his benevolence acts.

A middle-aged woman, seated at the back, specifically hailed Okanga for his generosity to widows, orphans and old people whom she said he has been giving succor to, especially during the COVID-19 lockdown.

A young man sitting next to me, mentioned that Okanga has being single-handedly sponsoring a yearly festival, Akatakpa Oroja in Apa-Agila. He said the festival provided monetary benefits across board amongst the participants.

The driver added that although he was not a direct beneficiary of Okanga's benevolence, he can testify of hundreds of youths who have benefited from his entrepreneurship scheme. He said Okanga built an ICT Entrepreneurship Scheme Center in Apa-Agila, focused on entrepreneurship, reorientation and skill development for youths.

A male passenger who said he was from Ijigham in Ado council, said Okanga constructed a bridge in his community. According to him, the bridge has paved the town, adding that it was now motorable.

It was almost midday when we arrived at Nasarawa (a town which Nasarawa is named after).

Nasarawa houses one of the federal polytechnics.

Our car was ‘bathed’ in sunlight. The driver slowed down for passengers buying snacks from racing hawkers. After which we resumed our journey. And the tales continued!

A young, lanky and caramel-skinned lady who said she was a student, said she had benefited from Okanga's scholarship program. She said during Covid-19 lockdown, Okanga introduced a mid semester scholarship for students in higher institutions of learning across the 10 wards of Ado Local Government Area, of which she was one of the beneficiaries.

She added that Okanga also introduced a Rural Women Empowerment Grant, which hundreds of market women from Ado, Okpokwu and Ogbadibo councils have so far benefited from the scheme.

It was now that I was poised to ask who this Okanga was. And the passengers chorused: Phillip Agbese!

"Same Phillip Agbese I am going to cover his declaration ceremony?," I asked out of surprise rather than intention.

Of course, I know Chief Philip Agbese; a UK-trained lawyer, author/publisher, journalist, humanitarian, activist and philanthropist who is aspiring for the Ado/Okpokwu/Ogbadibo Federal Constituency seat on the platform of the All Progressives Congress, APC. But I've also learnt that he is fondly called by his chieftaincy title, Okanga Insinabo 1 of Agila kingdom.

Good bye from Nasarawa, welcome to Benue. We arrived on the Loko-Oweto bridge which separates Nasarawa and Benue States at about 1:16 pm. I craned my neck to ogle the sun-pierced Benue river.

From the mouth of the bridge in Oweto, Agatu, it will take roughly an hour to Otukpo.

The Benue portion of the road is asphalted unlike the Nasarawa section which is largely under construction. As you drive through the Nasarawa axis, one could see board inscriptions on woods, ‘slow down, men at work'.

Save from the Nasarawa town, Kana, the other portions of the Nasarawa State axis of the road are dusty, lonely and bumpy. My white handkerchief turned red from cleaning dust and sweat.

We finally arrived Otukpo at about 2:20 pm after swirling through Ogbaulu, Oshigudu, Akpete/Ojantele, Igoro, Ugbokpo, Ofoke, Igah-Okpaya, Ojinebe I and II ,Adoka Icho, Ogodumu, Ugboju Ehaje, Ogobia, Umotile, Okete, Olgewu Icho, Ankpechi then Otukpo.

After alighting from the vehicle, I took a bike to OCB junction to board a vehicle to Ado. I was told it is an hour journey. I couldn't get any vehicle on time, so I decided to go on motorcycle. The motorcyclist, a young man in his 20s, was wearing an 'Okanga 2023' apron. I told him I was going for Chief Phillip Agbese declaration ceremony at Igumale playground. He charged me N3000 but I bargained for N2000. And he said he was only accepting the "tiny amount" because I am going for Okanga's ceremony. And we took off in a "fast and furious" style.

His over spending was because I had told him I needed to catch up with the event that I was far behind schedule. He didn't slow down until we got to a police checking-point at Akpa. One of the officers, being suspicious of my black bag, demanded to search it. He asked who my identity was. And I told him I'm a journalist and that I was going for Okanga's declaration ceremony.

He said, "Oh oh! Sorry, carry on".

He didn't say much, but I fathom that the name "Okanga" can open doors.

We continued on our power-bike style riding, dodging potholes, and overtaking vehicles.

We were finally welcomed to Ado by the river bridge at Utonkon after dancing through Otobi and other Akpa villages.

I began to notice 'Okanga 2023' posters in every town and village we passed.

The song 'Searching' by Innocent Idibia, popularly called 2Face, featuring the legendary Bongos Ikwue, popped up in my head especially the lines, "Dark Idoma girl, she too get mouth...Aip'oklobia dudu umu'Utonkon kworgba, Ebayo nunu l'lgumale ohigguwooo!'', because of the shout out he (2Baba) gave to Utonkon and Igumale in Ado local government.

By the time we got to the venue for the declaration ceremony in Igumale, the local government headquarters, the ceremony had ended and Okanga had left. But I was fortunate to see the sheer volume of attendees trooping out of the playground; all wearing smiles and hymning his (Okanga) praises.

I spoke with some of the elated attendees who expressed their joy in having a leader like Okanga accepting to represent them at the green chambers.

A septuagenarian who simply identified himself as Mr. Otse said, "We are happy with Okanga because he is not a seasonal politician who shows up only when it is time for campaign. He is with us always. He is acclimatized with the challenges of our constituency, and he has been solving them in his own capacity even long before he accepted our call to represent us at the House of Representatives."

On her part, Blessing, a young nursing student said she will vote for Okanga because she loves the calmness on his face.

"I've never voted before. But in 2023 I will vote Chief Philip Agbese, alias Okanga for House of Reps. I share in his passion. I can relate with most of the issues in his manifesto. And also, I think he is gentle, calm and collected. Plus he has done a lot for my people. His wife is also from Igumale," she said.

Similarly, Peter, a young man approaching his 40s, said he will vote for Okanga regardless of the platform of the political party he is contesting.

"In 2023, we'll vote for people, not parties. Okanga is a man of the people. He has empowered thousands of youths, men and women. He has also supported a lot of children through school. He has done what our elected leaders cannot do," he stated.

Dusk was preparing to fall when I finished interviewing the locals. I trekked to the junction to board a vehicle back to Otukpo. The driver, a middle-aged man, charged me N2000, and I pleaded with him to pay N1000. And he said he will accept the thousand naira because I said I was coming from Okanga's declaration ceremony.

As our vehicle zoomed off for Otukpo, it dawned on me that the life of Chief Phillip Agbese, alias Okanga, vividly typifies what the bible said about a good name.

Throughout the constituency, the sound of the name "Okanga", reverberates like the crack melody of the night inserts tearing the stillness of the darkest night. The sound is carried by the waves of his benevolences.

Source: https://www.naijavoicenews.com/my-loko-oweto-road-experience-and-the-tales-of-okanga-sunny-green/

Re: My Loko-oweto Road Experience And The Tales Of Okanga by degamonn: 6:36pm On Apr 12, 2022
I am not surprised that you are a journalist.
I like your style of writing though, You have a way of making your audience to be attracted to your message.
Even though you missed the occasion but you are able to tell the public the person of Philip Agbese and the reason why his people are willing and should vote for him.
Kudos!
Re: My Loko-oweto Road Experience And The Tales Of Okanga by jamace(m): 6:11pm On Apr 13, 2022
Joke joke, I read everything because of the fantastic style of writing, captivating. grin Keep it up. May your professionalism take you to places.
Re: My Loko-oweto Road Experience And The Tales Of Okanga by dgitrader(m): 7:27pm On Apr 13, 2022
Captivating epistle. Thumbs up great writer.

If u came here thinking about interstate bandits, give this post a share!
Re: My Loko-oweto Road Experience And The Tales Of Okanga by otokx(m): 7:34pm On Apr 13, 2022
I wonder if he will eventually win the elections.

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS: Phyno - Ikepentecost Ft. Flavour (official Video) / 2023 Election: Special Tawaf To Hold In Saudi Arabia For Tinubu (photo) / My Dream About 2022 Electioni

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.