Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,763 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:03 PM

****a Bit Of Knowledge About Dreadlocks**** - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / ****a Bit Of Knowledge About Dreadlocks**** (6918 Views)

Dreadlocks, Good Or Bad? / Dreadlocks = Rastafarism? / Dreadlocks: What's The Whole 9 Yards About It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

****a Bit Of Knowledge About Dreadlocks**** by Coco29(f): 7:21pm On Jul 06, 2011
for does of you who do not know coco29 is Rasta ( what you would call Rastarian) which would mean i have long locks or what you call dreadlocks.

Today a Nigerian lady stopped me to ask what shop she can go to get her hair like mine, she said that she love those crazy hair styles shocked shocked shocked shocked cheesy  my fellow Afrikans  you do not see a queen walking the streets wearing RED_GREEN_YELLOW and BLACK, LOCKS DOWN HER BACK and asked such a question. Unless I thought, she really did not understand, so we had a conversation about it, as i had thought she really did not, so for those of  you who do not know here, educate yourself. wink smiley

your natural hair is the source of your strength, when any Afrikan reach the stage where you can lock your hair YOU HAVE NOW ACCEPTED WHO YOU ARE WITHOUT DOUBT OR FEAR. kiss smiley

Dreadlocks, also called locks, a ras, dreads, or Jata (Hindi), are matted coils of hair. Dreadlocks are usually intentionally formed; because of the variety of different hair textures, various methods are used to encourage the formation of locks such as backcombing. If combs, brushes, and scissors are not used on the hair, the hair will tangle together as it grows, eventually resulting in the twisted, matted ropes of hair known as dreadlocks.
Dreadlocks are associated most closely with the Rastafari movement, but people from many groups in history before them have worn dreadlocks, including many Sadhus of India and the Sufi Rafaees, the Maori people of New Zealand, the Maasai of East Africa, and the Sufi malangs and fakirs of Pakistan.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPtxM0FeWcM9isYAxOpeS5ln5kcJDJOBPsRnubFz8CNeEMaVRJ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadlocks
Re: ****a Bit Of Knowledge About Dreadlocks**** by exotik: 8:35pm On Jul 06, 2011
the edo people call dreads agbiyagha and not that im an expert on benin art but i think the edo man on the left is wearing short dreads, and dreads were not worn for fashion statements but for spiritual and religious purposes.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ****a Bit Of Knowledge About Dreadlocks**** by exotik: 8:43pm On Jul 06, 2011
^^^

although it also seems like braids when looking at the two long flowing strands that dropped on his shoulders.
but whoever wear braids ryt now in 9ja wey be man would seem like it was an american influence. not knowing that we don dey do dis things from the time of moses.
Re: ****a Bit Of Knowledge About Dreadlocks**** by pleep(m): 5:09am On Jul 08, 2011
I love natural hair.  smiley I'm more of a fro' person though.

How long does it take to go from buzz cut to maybe 6 inch dreads?
Re: ****a Bit Of Knowledge About Dreadlocks**** by african1(f): 5:14am On Jul 08, 2011
^^^ Oh my gosh! I love love Afros. I wanted my boyfriend to get one, but he just can't grow it. sad You are sooo lucky.

Op I like deadlocks aswell. And I think it is awesome to see a girl with dreadlocks.
Re: ****a Bit Of Knowledge About Dreadlocks**** by pleep(m): 5:35am On Jul 08, 2011
Lol too bad there's no such thing as a reverse perm.
. . .Actually they might be wink
Re: ****a Bit Of Knowledge About Dreadlocks**** by african1(f): 5:42am On Jul 08, 2011
Lol I don't think he would like it. angry I once made my own hair into a fro. THat how much I love it. grin
Re: ****a Bit Of Knowledge About Dreadlocks**** by Coco29(f): 6:11am On Jul 08, 2011
pleep:

I love natural hair.  smiley I'm more of a fro' person though.

How long does it take to go from buzz cut to maybe 6 inch dreads?

smiley i think you are missing the point, growing locks is a journey, the length represent the knowledge you have gain in regards to your culture, race,past and future it is a spiritual thing. when I touch my hair it feels powerful, i feel the power of an Afrikan, I can feel my ancestors, cheesy rotflmaoooooooooooo and white people are always trying to touch it cheesy i do not think so especially knowing they eat pork) grin only my man touches my hair smiley and locks does not stop growing smiley kiss

african1:

^^^ Oh my gosh! I love love Afros. I wanted my boyfriend to get one, but he just can't grow it. sad You are sooo lucky.

Op I like deadlocks aswell. And I think it is awesome to see a girl with dreadlocks.

locks is the natural way for African hair to be, he should hand twist it first, do not wash it for 4 month, your hair will naturally clean itself as long as you do not put chemicals in it, after that he just needs to twist it every two weeks, do-grow hair oil will make it grow and it is complete natural wink
Re: ****a Bit Of Knowledge About Dreadlocks**** by pleep(m): 6:16am On Jul 08, 2011
Wait. . . Don't wash it for 4 months? undecided
Re: ****a Bit Of Knowledge About Dreadlocks**** by african1(f): 7:01am On Jul 08, 2011
Fourth months?? that is crazy. What if it starts to smell? undecided
Re: ****a Bit Of Knowledge About Dreadlocks**** by emofine(f): 7:51am On Jul 08, 2011
Coco29:
locks is the natural way for African hair to be

please, what is the meaning of this statement? because I would have thought that the original hair texture of any African was "the natural way for African hair to be"
Re: ****a Bit Of Knowledge About Dreadlocks**** by Coco29(f): 2:22pm On Jul 08, 2011
emofine:

please, what is the meaning of this statement? because I would have thought that the original hair texture of any African was "the natural way for African hair to be"
you said yr boyfriend just could not grow it, in others he does need to grow it IT would grow it self smiley

people its not that complicated, we are so use to smelling shampoo in our hair, that when our hair begain to clean it self we say it smells. That being said use lemon juice in warm water, to clean your scalp with cotton wool. wink if you hair is smelly then you are not eating healthy.

the point of not washing your hair is to give it time to LOCK wink
Re: ****a Bit Of Knowledge About Dreadlocks**** by african1(f): 6:32pm On Jul 08, 2011
^^^ I did not ask that question!Emofine did wink
Re: ****a Bit Of Knowledge About Dreadlocks**** by Coco29(f): 7:03pm On Jul 08, 2011
grin
Re: ****a Bit Of Knowledge About Dreadlocks**** by Dede1(m): 4:29pm On Jul 09, 2011
exotik:

the edo people call dreads agbiyagha and not that im an expert on benin art but i think the edo man on the left is wearing short dreads, and dreads were not worn for fashion statements but for spiritual and religious purposes.

You were short on your response for what I should term as being politically correct. I guess we shall maintain that the so-called dreadlocks were worn for spiritual reasons.
Re: ****a Bit Of Knowledge About Dreadlocks**** by exotik: 10:35pm On Oct 06, 2011
Dede1:

You were short on your response for what I should term as being politically correct.

i just stated what i knew and showed a picture to prove/substantiate it.

I guess we shall maintain that the so-called dreadlocks were worn for spiritual reasons. 

and isnt that what i said? or u just wanted to piggy-back on my comment so that i will carry you along?

ok, here is another picture i found of edo men in agbiyagha

Re: ****a Bit Of Knowledge About Dreadlocks**** by TopeMel(f): 12:31pm On Jan 10, 2014
please i need an Address and mobile number of someone in lagos that can help me start dreadlock.
Re: ****a Bit Of Knowledge About Dreadlocks**** by davidoluyemo: 3:02am On Oct 18, 2015
Coco29:
for does of you who do not know coco29 is Rasta ( what you would call Rastarian) which would mean i have long locks or what you call dreadlocks.
Today a Nigerian lady stopped me to ask what shop she can go to get her hair like mine, she said that she love those crazy hair styles shocked shocked shocked shocked cheesy  my fellow Afrikans  you do not see a queen walking the streets wearing RED_GREEN_YELLOW and BLACK, LOCKS DOWN HER BACK and asked such a question. Unless I thought, she really did not understand, so we had a conversation about it, as i had thought she really did not, so for those of  you who do not know here, educate yourself. wink smiley
your natural hair is the source of your strength, when any Afrikan reach the stage where you can lock your hair YOU HAVE NOW ACCEPTED WHO YOU ARE WITHOUT DOUBT OR FEAR. kiss smiley
Dreadlocks, also called locks, a ras, dreads, or Jata (Hindi), are matted coils of hair. Dreadlocks are usually intentionally formed; because of the variety of different hair textures, various methods are used to encourage the formation of locks such as backcombing. If combs, brushes, and scissors are not used on the hair, the hair will tangle together as it grows, eventually resulting in the twisted, matted ropes of hair known as dreadlocks.
Dreadlocks are associated most closely with the Rastafari movement, but people from many groups in history before them have worn dreadlocks, including many Sadhus of India and the Sufi Rafaees, the Maori people of New Zealand, the Maasai of East Africa, and the Sufi malangs and fakirs of Pakistan.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPtxM0FeWcM9isYAxOpeS5ln5kcJDJOBPsRnubFz8CNeEMaVRJ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadlocks

The original dreadlocks are natural (you have it from the womb). There is a Yoruba name Dada for people that are born with dreadlocks.(Yorubas name their kids after they are born) For all those wondering, some Africans (Nigerians at least) have naturally occurring dreadlocks. The babies that have them come from the womb with that hair already formed. You cannot comb them. Its not common but Nigerians know a family member or two that have it in their extended family. Usually the parent has other kids that don't have such hair, just like you may have a set of twins and then have kids that are not twins after. This is the origin of the term dreadlocks; not the type that is done in a salon.White people and foreigners cant believe that one can be born with dreadlocks. Fake dreadlocks originated when other poeple decided to try to imitate a natural phenomenon. As for the Indians,Spiritual Colchians civilized Bactria and India and some of these colchians were reported with dreadlocks. Colchians are black by the way.

I can attest to this because i was born with it. I have 2 brothers that were born before me that have normal hair.

(1) (Reply)

What Does The Word ''itutu'' Mean In Yoruba? / The Kegite Culture / The Miship People Of Plateau State, Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.