Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,427 members, 7,836,716 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

US Indicts Nigerian Security Agencies For Corruption, Impunity - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / US Indicts Nigerian Security Agencies For Corruption, Impunity (431 Views)

FBI Indicts Nigerian, Kolawole Erinle, Of Stealing US University’s $1.4m (Photo) / US Indicts 11 Nigerians For $9 million online fraud schemes in New York / US Indicts Two Nigerians In $3.3 Million House Rent Scheme In Nevada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Indicts Nigerian Security Agencies For Corruption, Impunity by zaddyboy(m): 10:07am On Apr 14, 2022
April 14, (THEWILL) – The United States Government has indicted the Nigeria police, military and Department of State Services (DSS), for corruption, human rights violation and impunity.
The US Department of State uncovered the misdemeanours in its ‘2021 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices’ in Nigeria.
“Impunity, exacerbated by corruption and a weak judiciary, remained a significant problem in the security forces, especially in police, military, and the Department of State Services.
“Police, the military, and the Department of State Services reported to civilian authorities, but periodically acted outside civilian control. There were credible reports that members of the security forces committed numerous abuses”, the report said.
The report contained incidents of extrajudicial killings, stifling of free speech, human rights violations, political witch-hunting, and other issues in Nigeria.
The US said the opaque nature of disciplining offending officials encourages impunity and that the systems shield erring officers found culpable in multiple crimes.
“The government regularly utilised disciplinary boards and mechanisms to investigate security force members and hold them accountable for crimes committed on duty, but the results of these accountability mechanisms were not always made public”, the report further stated.
Two of Nigeria’s anti graft agencies – the Independent Corrupt Practices Commission (ICPC) and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), were cited for inconclusive prosecution of public officials charged for corruption.

The US Department of State report accused the anti graft agencies of being selective and “focused on low and mid-level government officials.”
It, however, acknowledged that both organisations brought indictments against various active and former high-level government officials.
Re: US Indicts Nigerian Security Agencies For Corruption, Impunity by michdera(m): 11:31am On Apr 14, 2022
That's why no sane country takes Nigeria serious expecially when they run to them to proscribe IPOB as Terrorists
Re: US Indicts Nigerian Security Agencies For Corruption, Impunity by wallarwallar(m): 11:47am On Apr 14, 2022
I think it is now part of our life in dis country. Even after end sars saga that almost cripple the country the police are back to dere usual way and nothing dey happen. Me don't even know what will change dis country for good anymore
Re: US Indicts Nigerian Security Agencies For Corruption, Impunity by Angrygoat: 12:16pm On Apr 14, 2022
It's been a month I was extorted last at gun point by the npf . So me sef don taya,and I have sworn not to give any mofocking police 1naira again. They are back from sabbatical leave and this time are more brutal. God punish the npf,NA
Re: US Indicts Nigerian Security Agencies For Corruption, Impunity by kabillionaire(m): 9:11pm On Apr 14, 2022
Lol! It's now part of us, we're used to it.

It's not only officials that are corrupt, corruption is also official in this country.

From head to toe.
Re: US Indicts Nigerian Security Agencies For Corruption, Impunity by Nobody: 9:17pm On Apr 14, 2022
Lord may i never come from a bastardized country like Nigeria again in my next life,amen!

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Human Traffickers In Libya Exposed. / Man Attempts Suicide On Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge (pix) / We Are At War- Bishop Mike Bamidele

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.