Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,530 members, 7,861,538 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 02:07 PM

Man Attempts Suicide On Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge (pix) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Man Attempts Suicide On Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge (pix) (434 Views)

Woman Attacked While Jogging On The Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge (Graphic Photos) / Man Attempts To Cut Off Woman's Breast For Ritual In Anambra (Graphic Photo) / Pastor’s Wife Who Sent Her Nudes On Church’s Whatsapp Page Attempts Suicide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Attempts Suicide On Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge (pix) by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jun 01, 2022
A young man on Wednesday morning attempted to plunge to his death from the Lekki -Ikoyi link bridge in Lagos.

A viral video on social media showed patrol officers of the Lekki Concession Centre and other bystanders preventing the man from taking the leap off the bridge.

The patrol officers were seen trying to motivate the apparently inconsolable man after which he was handed over to law enforcement officials.

Reasons for his attempted suicide remain vague.

According to Section 327 of the Criminal Code Act, Attempted Suicide is a crime in Nigeria and is punishable by one year in prison.

Any person who attempts to kill himself is guilty of a misdemeanour, and is liable to imprisonment for one year.

Similarly, section 231 of the penal code (applicable to northern Nigeria) puts forth:

Whoever attempts to commit suicide and does any act towards the commission of such offence, shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to one year or with fine or with both.

Despite its treatment as a crime, several have scorned this move calling for it to be discarded.

The House of Representatives February passed through second reading a bill seeking to provide compulsory counselling and community service for a period not less than six months for persons who attempt suicide.

The private member bill sponsored by Hon. Francis Waive sort to amend the ‘decriminalise suicide and provide for a more rational punishment for the offence of attempted suicide and for related matters.’

Hon. Waive maintained that suicidal people are in need of effective treatments, counselling and assistance not punishment.

He also argued that penalizing attempted suicide was hardly a prevention method instead the law should direct the appropriate authorities to assist the traumatized attempters.

https://www.channelstv.com/2022/06/01/man-attempts-suicide-on-lekki-ikoyi-link-bridge/amp/

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CeQwmT1g05U/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Re: Man Attempts Suicide On Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge (pix) by MadamVanessa(f): 4:47pm On Jun 01, 2022
shocked

Why stopped him? when will Nigerians start minding their business. Someone is tired of life and wanted to rest , people stopped him to continue suffering. This is not good at all .

3 Likes

Re: Man Attempts Suicide On Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge (pix) by Baitullah: 4:49pm On Jun 01, 2022
Whatever happens, suicide is never an option

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man Attempts Suicide On Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge (pix) by Malory: 4:52pm On Jun 01, 2022
So sad. He should wait for Peter Obi to come in and change everything for good
Re: Man Attempts Suicide On Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge (pix) by DontGiveUpYet: 4:52pm On Jun 01, 2022
Only the brave can endure the remaining one year before Mr. From Top to Bottom packs his loads.

Let's keep pushing. Suicide is not the solution at this point
Re: Man Attempts Suicide On Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge (pix) by Beremx(f): 4:52pm On Jun 01, 2022
I read somewhere online that he’s a Togolese who has been searching for job all to no avail.
It is well with him
Re: Man Attempts Suicide On Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge (pix) by SisterFire(f): 4:54pm On Jun 01, 2022
He might be one of those who supported buhari to spite igbos
Re: Man Attempts Suicide On Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge (pix) by Xscape1993(m): 4:55pm On Jun 01, 2022
I keep saying that suicide is not the best option..
Re: Man Attempts Suicide On Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge (pix) by Penguin2: 4:56pm On Jun 01, 2022
He wants to die without seeing Peter Obi presidency?

That would definitely be a bad death.

Bobo chill…

Nigeria no go hard with Peter Obi
Re: Man Attempts Suicide On Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge (pix) by Shalommy(f): 4:58pm On Jun 01, 2022
Chaii.. I almost type Rip. Nawa ooo
Re: Man Attempts Suicide On Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge (pix) by Rastaramsey(m): 4:59pm On Jun 01, 2022
That niggar is a stupid ass niggar grin grin grin
Instead make he go hustle, he won cum go kill himself....

He for go take sniper nah

The kind suffer wey I suffer those times enh,
Police just dey carry me up and down...
I bin spend more than 6 months in detention because of the crime wey my niggar bin commit sad sad
Them torture me, shoot me for leg cum throw me out to the streets sad sad

This life is hard...

Omo I enter street, suffer like a church rat
Hustle small, buy phone
Omo I enter the baba unit wey dey do jazz for me grin grin
Omo nah 13promax dey my hand like this....

This life isn't easy...
You go hustle hard
Re: Man Attempts Suicide On Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge (pix) by Rastaramsey(m): 4:59pm On Jun 01, 2022
Penguin2:
He wants to die without seeing Peter Obi presidency?

That would definitely be a bad death.

Bobo chill…

Nigeria no go hard with Peter Obi

You for go put Peter obi there nah grin grin grin
Re: Man Attempts Suicide On Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge (pix) by Proudlyomonna: 5:08pm On Jun 01, 2022
Rastaramsey:

Ok na make una carry go but hope se you get plan on how to help your region fight off another 8years onslaught from crazed up land grabbing marauding heardmen grin grin
Anyhow wey una like make una do am as long as se na all of us go kukuma suffer am no shaking grin grin
May the strongest survive biko grin grin
Re: Man Attempts Suicide On Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge (pix) by Proudlyomonna: 5:10pm On Jun 01, 2022
This one never ready to die, joorh�
Make him better enter street hustle like man bcus to die dey fear am grin
Re: Man Attempts Suicide On Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge (pix) by Penguin2: 5:11pm On Jun 01, 2022
Rastaramsey:

No dey rush…

Dem never do elections.

I go still put am there.
Re: Man Attempts Suicide On Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge (pix) by nobodii: 5:21pm On Jun 01, 2022
If really hin wan commit suicide hin no go do am publicly lol
Re: Man Attempts Suicide On Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge (pix) by money121(m): 5:23pm On Jun 01, 2022
Oga ooo
Re: Man Attempts Suicide On Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge (pix) by Sultty(m): 6:08pm On Jun 01, 2022
person no fit die in peace again for this country. Abeg free the man undecided

(1) (Reply)

House Help Disgraced, She Stole Cash And Hid It Inside Her Underwear (video) / Lagos Govt: We’ve Fired Judge Who Dissolved Marriage, Snatched Complainant Wife / 18-year-old Burglary Suspect Steals 16 Plasma TV Sets Worth N1.2m From Kano Shop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.