Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:51 AM

How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad (22796 Views)

Nairalanders Please Help, My First Son Is Behaving Somehow / May I Not Marry A Woman Like My Mum / One Of My Sons Looks Exactly Like My Late Father (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by SweetDipBenny(m): 7:37am On May 06, 2022
Real son of his father grin
Blood no d lie
Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by Jmichael1(m): 7:56am On May 06, 2022
godfrey02:

You nor wise at alll, at alll at all.. Borrowings money to impress people shows how foolish you are. And even ontop alcohol for that matter... Brother you nor need prayer but serious flogging and reseting of your brain

chairman abeg no too blame me.....
Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by Starcy(m): 8:33am On May 06, 2022
oldienavie:

grin grin grin I just can't stop laughing.
You are simply refusing to take responsibility for your own actions.
My dad drinks alcoholic, used to be a philanderer who was always running after women and did not know how to manage his finances with some other things.

I have used him as a reference point in my life to ensure I do not live the kind of life that he lived. Despite the fact that I look like him physically, I have ensured that the life I live is completely different from the life he lived.
Despite that I have the opportunity to practise what he did due to my exposure as I have lived abroad for many years, I have ensured to live a responsible life.
The life you live is your choice, do not blame your dad lifestyle.

So stop giving excuses for your own actions, take responsibility. If your dad has a terrible trait, ensure you do not make the same mistakes he made and make your own life better and be more responsible.
Yeah! Nice write-up
Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by mecussey(m): 8:36am On May 06, 2022
Jmichael1:
Good day my fellow nairalanders.
please I'm not good in writting, abeg make una pardon me. I just want to go straight to the point.

i'm michael,the first child of my parents(all boys)as a 1st son,i took 90% of my dad character of wish i don't like 70% of them but i can't stop acting like him, I behave exactly like him in almost every thing.

I have tried all i could to stop bt no way...
Please want do u guys suggest for me to do?
i don't want to live the kind of life my dad lived.

please i need your advice...

Drugs, environment, religion and education... These are the four things that can edit your DNA.
Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by SoapQueen(f): 8:47am On May 06, 2022
Jmichael1:
please I'm not good in writting, abeg make una pardon me. I just want to go straight to the point.

i'm michael,the first child of my parents(all boys)as a 1st son,i took 90% of my dad character of wish i don't like 70% of them but i can't stop acting like him, I behave exactly like him in almost every thing.

See a therapist and break the link...
Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by TenQ: 8:58am On May 06, 2022
Jmichael1:

Almost everything in life is a product of INHERITANCE. There may be nothing really you can do about this except a reeducation and augmentation of the existing traits.

If it is about character, the fruit of the Holy Spirit will modify you to a new personal traits (that is if you are truely born again).
Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by Dnight(m): 9:36am On May 06, 2022
Bro
Same shit with me
I walk exactly like my father
Try as much as u may
It won’t change
Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by Tonnyray: 9:53am On May 06, 2022
Lol.
It's both a blessing and a curse.
I'm experiencing the exact same thing and yes I'm the firstborn of my now late Dad.
What OP is omitting is the fact that there are also far more benefits he's enjoying courtesy of his dad's genes but we naturally only focus on the socially unacceptable and potentially destructive ones.
All I can say is bro, no one can help you. Get cracking on your self. Kill what needs to die. Heal what needs to thrive.
The only helping hand you're gonna get are the ones beyond your own sleeves.
If you know how to pray, engage GOD on this as well. Approach the Rock that is higher than you.
Wish you the very best bro.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by ackifemmy(m): 10:06am On May 06, 2022
For landed properties at very reasonable prices in Abeokuta Ogun State.

- Great Security
- Decent phcn power (at least 10 hours daily)
- Nearness to social facilities like shopping malls, supermarkets, nice relaxation spots etc
- Non-swampy or prone to flooding.
- No hold up and peaceful city .
- Few minutes drive from Lagos State.
- Perfect documents etc call us at.
BESTLINK ESTATE FIRM 2347034838185 23408159064121
Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by Prettychild(f): 10:09am On May 06, 2022
Jmichael1:

bro i need it.
bt were can i get a genuine church in dis country?
i stop going to church or had any tin to do with church ever since one pastor here in yenagoa use my 50k take shine....
Go to Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries for deliverance
Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by yinkbell: 10:54am On May 06, 2022
efficiencie:

Dude the miracle you are asking for is greater than the one Elisha asked for and also greater than the parting of the red sea. You are asking for a change in your life at the fundamental level. Only your creator can effect such a change oh. What you need is a change in your DNA. Through our ancestors we inherited all kinds of evil and good behaviors passed down to us and encoded in our DNA. We became unstable, neither here nor there. Neither hot nor cold. Capable of great good and unimaginable evil.

The only solution to this situation is to be "born again". Forget about the trash that most churches teach. Being born again requires fundamental changes in your psyche, your personality, your spirituality, your consciousness and importantly your DNA. This is why it is greatest miracle of all. It results in your emergence as the latest of God's creation - a new creature.

This is why even though I have spent years identifying as a Christian, I am yet to really accept that I am "born again" because deep within me I know I still bear within me the inheritance of my fathers and grandfathers...but I hope that one day, I will evolve and transcend the limits of my humanity into becoming Godkind.

My advise to you is to seek Jesus. Table this request and this request alone before him repeatedly, continuously, consistently until you wear Him out with your relentless pleas. Perhaps He would grant you this transition from someone whose descendance is from a man to someone whose descendance is from Jesus.

There is more I would like to say concerning this but it would make this post too long and make it seem too religious.

I pray you achieve what you seek just as I pray I achieve it too.

Thanks bro for the advice given to the young lad. You also need to know some things about human nature. That's why we Christians still experience some struggles in some areas of our lives. I will like you to study from Watchman Nee teachings. Read about two nature of man as a young believer. Enjoy the teaching here: ministrybooks.org. mention me so as to direct you about some Vols. To read and how to navigate the website.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by Jmichael1(m): 11:05am On May 06, 2022
mecussey:

Drugs, environment, religion and education... These are the four things that can edit your DNA.

i don't get you,hw do u mean?
Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by Crieff(m): 11:08am On May 06, 2022
Jmichael1:

Good enough that you're a Christian.

In the books of Kings 1 & 2 and Chronicles 1 & 2, there are plenty instances where a good king will give birth to a son that will do evil before God when that son becomes king after his father and that evil son now king will give birth to a son that will be completely opposite his evil father in every way.

One of such is Josiah, the eight year old boy that became king and followed in the footsteps of David his father meanwhile his biological father wasn't David.

The point is you don't have to model your life after your biological father. There are wholesome models around, follow them, copy their lifestyle and in due time God's Spirit will make you your unique father identity the way it's meant to be.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by dontrulee: 12:09pm On May 06, 2022
I look physically like my dad 100%.
Same gait, same voice.
Infact, he calls me his twin brother. I know him more than my Mum knows him. He is a lawyer and even though I grew up reading law books and judgement decrees, I ended up choosing my passion to become a Medical doctor. A different path entirely. Like majority of humans, he has good and bad habits and I choose to embrace his good habits and choose not to replicate his bad habits (one of which is anger). Little things that are inconsequential gets him really annoyed, but no matter how annoyed he is, he doesn't lay hands on anybody (he stopped flogging when you hit 13years). He also has a very strong and rigid mindset (a weak/strong habit depending on the angle you look at it from). But mhen, he is very stubborn grin grin.

In summary, choose your own life and your own destiny. Have sessions with yourself. Pray if you believe in prayers, think more of the consequences of your decisions than your decisions and you will have a better life
Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by mecussey(m): 12:25pm On May 06, 2022
Jmichael1:

i don't get you,hw do u mean?

You act like your dad because, his DNA is embedded in you. In order to change or edit the DNA, you need chemical or psychological force.
Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by Jmichael1(m): 1:29pm On May 06, 2022
Amuluonyenaego:
If I talk now you will dislike me too grin

bros abeg talk,me no go dislyk u..

any advice is wlcum by me.....
Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by Dirpetaner: 1:32pm On May 06, 2022
I don't know how to explain this to you but listen: It is normal to have your dad's behavior. This is a natural thing. Now, you don't want it then you need to be prayerful, decisive and committed to be the man you want to become. You don't expect the behavior you have been practicing for 30 yrs to change within 30 days or even 30 months without you fighting for the change deliberately. It takes sacrifice and time. Guide your heart with all jealousy. Break the connection between you and your dad's behavior with meditation and prayer and act against every situation that wants you to react like him. Start acting as if you are a hypocrite and stay focused with it. Believe me the new behavior soon master you.
Meditate regularly ; say this words...I will never behave like my dad through Christ who strengthens me. Say it everyday every time in your heart.
Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by Jmichael1(m): 1:40pm On May 06, 2022
gentleibraheem:
I was just laughing at those guys saying op is looking for excuses for his flaws.

Most of you guys saying that don't have your fathers traits in you. And I believe if you do the story would have been otherwise. It's in the blood

na only you understand my situation for here......

they tink i will jst wake up one mrn then behaving d way i don't want...
i'm not mad nah....
Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by CalmElder(m): 2:20pm On May 06, 2022
So I'm not alone in this matter.
Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by adexdebo17: 3:52pm On May 06, 2022
Relocate and live with someone else this helps me a lot but I stil behave like my dad 20percent
Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by achimendy(m): 10:38pm On May 06, 2022
Jmichael1:

Ask God for help
Inculcate the habit of discipline
Read books on behavioral act
Move with responsible and disciplined friends
Lastly always think before you act.
Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by bepositive11: 3:04am On May 07, 2022
Be patient with yourself. Identify the traits that you're not happy with diligently reprogramming yourself to stop the behaviour. Over time, you will notice yourself making progress

Jmichael1:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is 6 Months Enough Or Too Early For A Widow To Start Dating? / Husband Always Chatting And Calling Single Female Colleague / What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.