Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,068 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:47 AM

On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites (1992 Views)

When Hell Overflows. Story By Ufuoma Seunnla / A Lonely Heart (A Story) / "No Pleasure For Dead Girls" A Story By Mancrimes.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites by hfinest1(m): 10:14pm On Apr 14, 2022
I've not written anything as much as a paragraph of a story since I think 2017 or 18 or so... It's been long sha, you get the gist!
I've been lacking inspiration, ideas, or creativity, as a result of many circumstances life unwillingly threw me into which I've been fighting battles upon battles to come out of them, and I'm winning anyways. So, this story is me making an attempt at bouncing back into the art of story telling.

Here comes another blockbuster suspense filled, action filled, crime thriller from the stables of Hfinest1 @ElishaWrites, the black belt master of story telling!!! Tell all your friends and family that Hfinest1 is back with a bangcheesy
It's gonna be worth your while, I assure you. It's juicy as can get. Be sure to be kept at the edge of your seat while you read.

PS: I have not typed this story down somewhere, but I'm typing as the inspiration comes, and I'm working with my phone, since I don't have a laptop again. Please bear with me in case update comes slowly, but I would try all my best to update at least twice in a week and twice during weekends. I hope you stay with me till the very last drop of the juice. Happy reading

1 Like

Re: On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites by hfinest1(m): 10:22pm On Apr 14, 2022
DISCLAIMER: All characters, plots, scenes are a figment of the writer's imagination. Any resemblance to persons, dead or alive or events, past or present is merely a coincidence and should be regarded as such.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED!!! This work belongs to the author and should not be reproduced or copied in parts or whole, by any means electronic, or otherwise or stored in a retrieval system without written permission of the author.
©ElishaWrites2017

PROLOGUE
Life is a game. Only the smartest wins the race. "Time and chance" as the Bible states, "happens to them all", but not everyone can take chances when they see it. It's all about seeing a door of opportunity and being smart enough to walk into that door with no fear. After all, what is life without taking risks?
This is a story of a young man who journeys from being an innocent young man with a perfect life, doing his best to make ends meet and make mama and papa proud, to becoming entwined in an unplanned crime that leads to a series of events that would go on to change his life forever... Enjoy!
Re: On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites by hfinest1(m): 10:26pm On Apr 14, 2022
Who dey here?? Make I start the story?? Chapter 1 is ready! Who wanna read??

Cc: eniqurl
Hurklan
Pinkycute
Liljboy
Kevingraphics
EllaGold35
Jboixxx
Marieolae
Ggrin
Labaski
Lanicky
MoNickk
Airforce1
Souloho19
Royver
Chistar01
And lastly; lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites by hfinest1(m): 5:05pm On Apr 15, 2022
CHAPTER 1
Life as an adult is tough o! Very tough and full of rough paths. No wonder they often say 'life is not a bed of roses', but you never know or experience the reality of this statement until you grow and mature into adulthood. indeed life is a field full of thorny plants with thorns that could stab and injure or kill one if one is not too careful of how he threads. Adulthood is probably the worst thing that could ever happen to a man. If only it was possible to remain a child forever, damn would I choose that option, and keep enjoying all the benefits of childhood for the rest of my life. You know, when you're a child, you'll be so eager to become an adult fast, so you can enjoy your freedom, do as you wish, live your life according to your own terms, but nobody would tell you about all the endless responsibility adulthood comes with. If only I could just remain a child forever, I really would, but no! You just gotta grow up and 'be a man'! And just because I'm an adult now, everybody is of the opinion that I can take care of myself and my every needs, so no more getting cash gifts from uncles, aunties and visitors when they come visiting, no more allowance from dad and mom, no more getting sweet, juicy and succulent treats from dad or mom when they get back from an outing. All that privileges end the day you become a full grown adult. Mehn, it honestly sucks being an adult. My allowance from parent seized the same day I wrote my final paper and wore the sign out shirt to sign out of the University of Port Harcourt, as a graduate of computer science. Dad made it clear to me that I was a 'man' now and should not expect to still be dependent on parent any longer for upkeep. Like what the hell man? He expected me to secure a job that same day and start shouldering all my responsibilities myself. Like dad, who said I'm a man? Hiw am I supposed to survive in this tough times if you cut my allowance? How do I cope? Damn, dad don't do this to your only child please! The shock hit me harder than I anticipated, but then, I'm a survivor, so I knew I would pull through. Thank God for NYSC that came through for me with the little stipends they gave to us, which was barely enough to cater for all my needs, but at least I made ends meet with the little the government provided. Or what other option did I have? As a natural hustler that I am, I also started a small scale business of doing graphics design and printing as well as web development, and I was able to live comfortably throughout my service year. In fact, before the end of my service year in Lagos, I was able to save up enough money to join someone and rent a house, and thus decided I was gonna remain in Lagos even after my service, instead of going back to PH where my parent reside. Getting a job wasn't a piece of cake at all. I had always envisaged that as soon as I'm through with school, jobs would be lining up, waiting for be to pick the best I desired. I forgot that this is Nigeria, and such can only be seen in dreams. There was hardly any vacancy I did not submit application for. Copies of my CVs were all over top companies and businesses all around Lagos mainland where I was residing with my room mate Henry, who was also a job seeker like myself. Speaking of Henry, my God sent angel of a room mate. We had met at NYSC camp as we were both in the same platoon in the camp and posted to the same PPA afterwards. Barely one week after we met, Henry and I had bonded so well. A bond that eventually grew into a strong friendship, and with time, we became inseparable that everyone thought we were actually brothers. Some even said we look kind of alike. I've discovered that when you hang out with someone so much, and people keep seeing you two together all the time, it won't take long before people will begin to notice similarities between both of you. Nobody believed that Henry was not my brother, so I left it that way. We were brothers, and he was in fact more than a brother to me. We both knew everything about each other, and all that was going on in each other's life. We trusted each other so much that we never kept any secrets from each other. He was the brother I never had.

As an only child, I had never known or felt what it's like to have or love a brother, until I met Henry in camp and we connected immediately like two Bluetooth devices that have been ready and waiting to pair. My parent in the village even knew Henry so well, and I also knew his parent as well. We both spoke to each other's parent both on video and voice calls severally. His parent called me their son, and my parent also called Henry their son and my brother. They made him promise to always look after me as his brother, since I never had a sibling before. And that's how Henry and I became tight brothers with an inseparable and unbreakable bond.
Lucky for Henry, unlike me, he did not have to look for a job for too long before he was hired by a job with one top firm in Lagos, working as their Hunan resource manager, while I was still walking the length and breadth of Lagos state, job hunting. Thank God for bringing Henry into my life, because just when I started running out of the little pocket money I had been able to save up since my service days, and when my graphics design and web development business seemed to be sinking to the bottom of the sea, Henry came through for me. I never asked, but he always made it a point of duty to give me some money for upkeep whenever he was paid at work, so that I didn't lack anything at all. He would comfortably divide his salary into four portions, giving me one portion to take 'hold body till when work show up' according to him. You now see why I had called him an angel? Yes, God sent Henry down to earth to be my angel and take care of me. I prayed for the guy everyday I knelt to pray, and the love I had for Henry just kept blooming. Everytime he gave me money, and I attempt to thank him fervently, he always said I should stop embarrassing him please, after all, in his own words "what are we brothers for if I can't help you to keep standing, until you're able to stand very well on your own feet?". I swear, I've never in my whole life come across or even thought it possible for anyone to have such a golden heart as Henry. After some months, I was able to secure a job as an assistant manager in a popular five-star hotel in Lagos, with a reasonable pay. Imagine that? A computer scientist working in a hotel? Someone who knew nothing about hospitality management. Just imagine. Heck, I didn't even offer one borrowed course from that department throughout my four years in school, but here I was, working as a hotel assistant manager. Well, this is Nigeria and anything goes. I've learnt that it doesn't really matter what you study in school, just as far as you have a certificate, you can be employed to work anywhere. I finalised this fact that day I ran into a friend of mine who was reading biochemistry then in school. She was now working in a bank, and was gradually rising to become the bank manager soon enough. Imagine? A biochemist in the bank. Two completely opposite fields of study! Welcome to Nigeria.
Work was going well for me. I was earning well, and was able to relieve Henry of the heavy burden if catering for both of our needs. Even though he never complained, but I knew the weight was definitely heavy on him. All in all, life was good and I was happy.

My name is Michael Thomas, or just Mike as everyone called me, and I was living a comfortable and happy life, satisfied with the blessings of God towards me and my brother. I led a very simple and quiet life. Wake up, go to work, work your ass off all day, go back home at night, eat and sleep, then repeat. I think the only fun part of my life was Angela, my super hot and beautiful girlfriend whom I simply called 'angel'. Damn, the girl was hot and way out of my league. Many times I sit and wonder how I was able to get her as my girlfriend, cos we started dating when I was still jobless and broke, but she chose it was me she loves, nonetheless. I guess it's true what they say, that 'love is blind'. The love Angela showered on me was just like what the gospel singer sang in the popular gospel song. It was what I would call 'excess love'. She never asked me for anything, but rather, she used her money to take care of me, during those times when she knew I wasn't so well to do. She would go to the market, buy ingredients and come to my place to prepare soup and stew for me and Henry for the weekend. Now you see why I called her an angel? The food made Henry to come to love her so much, as our house never lacked delicious stew and soup everytime, all thanks to my baby girl. Henry and her became so close that they were almost like besties. Sometimes I even imagined that she was closer to him than she was to me. Some days, during her visits, she and Henry will both leave me and go to the kitchen while she's cooking to gossip and gist like two ladies who were best friends. I never saw anything wrong with it anyways, as I trusted Henry to the last, even with my life, I could vouch for him that he would never betray my trust for a piece of ass, so I wasn't jealous or bothered at all by their tight closeness. Henry also had his own girlfriend, Chidinma, whom he loved more than anything else in the world. sometimes she even came over and spend the night at our house, and on such nights, I usually had to go and sleep over at my girlfriend's place in order to give him all the space he needed with his woman, as stated in the sacred unwritten rules and regulations guiding the brotherhood, known as the 'bro code'. Angel lived in a one room apartment with her elder sister, so nothing ever happened during my sleepover. Only when she came over to my place after work in the evening, that we got the chance for any action to go down. Some weekends, I usually take her to the hotel where I worked and we lodge there from Saturday evening till sunday evening before returning to our homes. It was relaxing and we enjoyed each other to the fullest each time we lodged, relishing the good food the hotel served, and enjoying the best room services. All the hotel workers knew me and were always extra nice when serving me and my baby, making sure we enjoyed the best if comfort during our stay. Every one of them wanted to remain in my good books at all times. As the assistant manager, I was the one who went round and made sure that all the hotel staff carried out their various duties to the very best, and as such, I was the one who recommended staff to the manager for promotion or salary increase, based on their level of efficiency in carrying out their duties, so you now see why everyone tried to be in my good books?
To say my life was perfect would be, in every sense if the word, correct. Simple, quiet, smooth running, perfect life. That's what I had going for me. With a perfect girlfriend, whom I was looking forward to making my wife as soon as I had saved enough to be able to start a family. I had bright dreams about my future. Our future, and so far, the future looked as bright as the rising sun at dawn. But it takes just a day, an hour, a minute even, to ruin every good thing. Just a moment of a bad decision could end years of having a great life, and that's just what happened to me. One moment of making a terrible decision, which could have been avoided, took me from a quiet, simple and perfect life to becoming a wanted criminal running from all honest federal officers of the law. Just one moment of a stupid decision, and I became a wanted fugitive On The Run! [To be continued...]
Re: On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites by Abdulreheem(m): 6:31pm On Apr 15, 2022
On the first row sit with my pop corn

1 Like

Re: On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites by hfinest1(m): 6:12am On Apr 16, 2022
Abdulreheem:
On the first row sit with my pop corn
welcome on board king...
Re: On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites by Johnny234(m): 7:35am On Apr 16, 2022
Nxt pls ;DNxt pls
Re: On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites by Johnny234(m): 7:39am On Apr 16, 2022
Nxt pls[b]Nxt pls[/b]Nxt pls
hfinest1:
welcome on board king...
yes
Re: On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites by hfinest1(m): 1:06pm On Apr 23, 2022
CHAPTER 2

Work at the hotel was fun and interesting. Getting to meet different new people everyday, interacting with rich people and elites of the society and even making friends with them was something exciting. Since it was a five-star hotel, we had quite a lot of important guests, including top government officials, top class business men and women, and even every now and then, we had foreigners as guests.

As the assistant manager, I made rounds at the hotel, checking on guests and making sure they were being treated right and giving out orders to the staff of the hotel on what to do to give better services to guests. If a guest had a complaint, it was directed to me. My boss, the manager, seldom came out of his office. Always on his computer and phones talking and punching figures and numbers. He only came out once in a while, if there was a complaint that was too much for me to handle, which there hardly ever was anything I wasn't capable of handling. The hotel was big and booming, with guests trooping in, day in day out, but there was one problem though. The place was a private owned business, jointly owned by one stinkingly rich man and his wife, both of whom were stingy to the core. Staff salary was definitely not up to standard as the hotel was. As an assistant manager, I knew the hotel could afford to pay me way over 200k per month and will still be in business, but I was earning way less, and even though it was enough to make me live comfortably, it wasn't enough to give me the kind of life I dreamed of having. I had big dreams. My parents weren't too rich, and their parents before them, and I had hoped to break that trend by becoming very rich and driving the best car, marrying a very hot trophy wife, having holidays abroad, sending my kids to the best of the best private schools abroad, and all that, but this dream seemed almost distant in my mind now. I just had to make do with what was available, since the wanted was not available. I was happy with my life, but not satisfied. I wanted so badly to step up the ladder of life and join those big men who were at the top wrung of the ladder. I mean, it's not as if they had two heads na!

One day, a white dude lodged in the hotel and during my evening rounds, i met him at the hotel bar sipping a glass of brandy or whiskey or whatever he was drinking, which smelt like café rum when I got closer to him and spoke to him.
"Hi sir, hope you're enjoying your stay with HarryWells Hotel and Suites?" I asked him, flashing my biggest and brightest smile, with the best American accent in my tongue.
"Yeah,sureIam... Thanks" he replied, rushing his words.
"You're welcome. Please if you need anything, don't hesitate to let me know. My office is just the last door by your left on the last floor"
"You the manager?" He asked, staring at me with interest.
Why was he asking Abi the guy was give manager something ni? Should I lie that I'm the manager? At least increase my rep for his side.
"No, assistant manager" I finally replied after some seconds of battling I'm my head whether to tell him the truth or lie.
"Cool, you're doing a great job man. I like you already. I'll definitely be seeing you before I leave"
"Thanks" I replied and flashed him my killer 'ass-kissing' smile once again before moving over to the next customer at the bar to repeat the procedure. He said he would see me before leaving, that meant only one thing; I was gonna get a tip from the white dude. Tips from white guys always came in dollars, or thousands of naira, and this always complemented my little pay a lot. Although, my manager, being a stingy man like his cousin who owned the hotel, somehow always got to know when I've received a huge tip from a customer and always requested his own share from the tip, and I had no option but to oblige him. Their family and stinginess is like tea and sugar...
After making my rounds that day, I retired back to my office waiting for evening to reach let me go home and rest. My angel had called me earlier in the morning and informed me that her sis was out of town and she wouldn't be able to stay alone in the house, so I was going over to her place to spend the night. It was gonna be hot, that I was sure of and I eagerly looked forward to evening. As I sat in my office chair later towards 6:30pm, while gathering my things into my bag and getting ready to get going, a soft knock landed on my door. I ignored it initially, thinking maybe it was not meant for me, since the knock sounded so light and so unsure. Like the person was not too sure if he or she wanted to knock the door or not. It was when the knock sounded the second time, this time a little harder than the first time, that I knew someone wanted to see me and i yelled "come on in". Standing at my door smiling sheepishly was the white dude I had greeted at the bar. The one that said he was definitely gonna see me before he leaves the hotel. The same one I was expecting a huge tip from, probably in dollz. He was backing a small laptop bag.. I gave him an ear to ear grin that I knew always wins customers' hearts and make them drop large tips. I had perfected this smile over time and it worked every single time. He shyly walked in and I offered him a seat. We got talking immediately
"Nice hotel you guys have here" he started off the conversation
"Yeah right?? It's a 5star hotel man, we can't offer anything less than the best" I proudly replied
"I have something very important I wanna discuss with you. If you don't mind walking me to my car so we can talk in the privacy of my ride. It's really important and personal, and so I would rather we discussed it on a more personal level"
"Alright, no problem. I was just about leaving myself. Let me walk you to the car park" with that, I picked up my bag, hung it over my shoulder and we both walked out of the office, talking about nothing in particular, just exchanging banters and jokes and laughing heartily like we'd known each other for ages. When I bade the receptionist goodbye, she looked at me with surprise, and I could sense a sinister look on her face. She must probably be thinking "this my oga go collect big tip today oo", and I'm sure that's what every staff had on their mind also as we passed several of them on our way out, and they all gave me the same look. One of the cleaners was even bold enough to offer me an eye service kindness that she normally wouldn't. She offered to carry my bag for me and help me get a taxi ride. I just laughed and thanked her. She said okay before she added "oga mi, no forget your girl o" with a funny wink. I was very free with all the staff and they loved me, so such comment or behaviour didn't surprise me or any of the other staff members who saw it. Before we got to the door of the hotel, Cam's hand was already resting on my shoulder. Yeah, the white dude's name was Cameron, but he insisted I should just call him Cam, when I kept calling him Mr. Cameron. We got to his car, a very neat Lexus Jeep. I don't know the exact version or whatever. I'm not really a car person. Bike is more my thing than cars. But damn, the ride was beautiful. He said i should get in let's talk, before I leave. Immediately I entered, he started the engine and put the AC on full blast. Within seconds, the whole car was freezing. I felt a bit cold, but did not want to fall my hand by asking him to reduce the AC. The cold was normal to him, I know. Their country cold dey pass like this during winter. I managed to keep myself from shivering anyways. We started talking.
"So you said you had something really important to discuss with me?" I started.
"Yeah, very important and highly private. Can you keep it between us?"
"Sure, what is it? Now you got my attention" I was full blown nervous and feverish now, and he could see it. He reached out and put the AC off. I thanked him for reading my mind and he just smiled. He brought out a pack of cigarettes and offered me one, while putting one between his lips and lighting it with his car's cigarette lighter. I took one and also lit it.
Taking in one long drag and puffing out the smoke then sucking in some into my head made me feel a lot better from the earlier cold and cooled my nerves. Damn, it's been so long I smoked and sure I had missed the feeling of lightheadedness and calmness smoking brought. He took in some quick drags and puffed out smoke, causing the car to become hot and smoky, then he wound down the windows before he started talking.
"I like you bro. I really do. I like the way you go about your duty so relentlessly and with commitment. I love young hardworking guys who would rather not indulge in crime, but struggle hard to make a honest living"
"Thanks my man" that's all I could reply. I felt it was a compliment, but how wrong I was, when I looked into his eyes and noticed his eyes was running up and down my whole body, from head to to my laps, lingering on my thighs abd groin region. His looks made me feel a slight discomfort, cos his eyes looked at me like how a hungry predator looked at a prey. I noticed a look of lust in his eyes, but dismissed it as an effect of the highness from the cigarette kicking in. 'How can a guy be looking at another guy lustfully?' I thought to myself. 'highness na bastard sha' I smiled to my thoughts, but his next statement was to shock me to my bones... [To be continued; stay tuned]

2 Likes

Re: On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites by Johnny234(m): 8:59pm On Apr 23, 2022
Op u are doing well.... Nxt please
Re: On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites by hfinest1(m): 6:18pm On May 07, 2022
I'm so sorry for the delay. I was stuck with a writer's block. I'm back now anyways. I did a part a of episode 3, let me drop it and drop part b later tonight if battery permits me.

Please stay tuned. It's gonna be an interesting ride.
Thank you
Re: On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites by hfinest1(m): 6:18pm On May 07, 2022
CHAPTER 3

Cam stared at me intently like he was trying to bring the words out of his mouth but the words weren't coming.
"I really like you Mike. I mean very much" he opened a box that I hadn't noticed earlier which sat on the back seat. My eyes literally buldged when I saw the contents of the box. You remember those Tom and Jerry cartoons, the way Tom's eyes usually pop out when he sees a fine female cat he likes? That's how my eyes looked when I saw rows after rows of dollars stacked up in the box. If I'm not mistaken, it couldn't be anything less than hundreds of thousands of dollars, or even up to a million sef. Chai! See as one person dey carry the whole of Nigeria budget for bag dey move around. How does he even feel safe carrying such huge amount of cash around? No wonder all those kidnappers always target these white folks. Imagine changing all that dollars to naira? Person don make am for life. No need to work ever again. He removed one of the wads of cash and dropped it in my laps.
"It's yours bro. All yours, if you agree to what I want from you"
My smile was so wide on seeing the wad of dollz on my leg. Omo, this weekend go bad gaan. I'm shutting down quilox mehn. I've always wanted to enter that club, but I no fit go there siddon drink bottle water. From what I've heard, even their water is really expensive, but this weekend was going to change that, with the money in lap. I was glad he didn't give me the cash in my office. At least, I won't have to give that greedy manager a share if I didn't want to.
"Thank you sir for the gift, but I'm kind of confused. What exactly is it that I've done to deserve this kinda kindness from you?" He laughed heartily for a while, then coughed from the smoke of the cigarette he was puffing. I had since finished my stick and he offered me another, but I declined. One stick was enough for me, but he took a second stick and was on it. His smile got broader as he started roaming his hands on my laps in a way that I wasn't comfortable.
"Bro, what are you doing?" I asked, gently removing his hands from my lap.
"I want you man. No, I need you! If you agree to be mine, there's more where that came from"
I was shocked to my core. So, this cash isn't mine after all? I wanted to cry, I wanted to shout. I was disappointed, but more shocked than disappointed.
"Guy... Slow down abeg. Chill. What do you mean by me being yours?" I was still trying to deny that a gay guy was toasting me in my head, even though I knew what he meant by me being his, but then I still decided to live in the Nile (denial, pun intended). He smiled gently then went on, replacing his hands in my laps and running his hands dangerously close to my groin. I'm not homophobic or anything, but then, having a guy's hand going so close to my crotch was something I never want to even imagine.
"I love you Mike. Just agree to be my boo and I'll treat you right. In fact, that's twenty thousand dollars you have there and I promise you that if you suck me off right now, I'll double that amount. Heck, I'll triple it if you let me cum in your mouth" gosh, this idiot should stop this shit na. Haba!
What the actual f*ck is going on? I couldn't even imagine me going down on a d*ck na. Let alone taking jizz in my mouth. I felt like puking as I sat there in his car. The image of me giving a guy heads was seriously disturbing my mental health, and his hand on my crotch was just moving me to a state of madness.
I slapped his hand really hard, that he turned red immediately.
"Guy, you dey mad? You dey ment? Abi na ordinary cigar dey worry you?" I didn't know where all my manners and ass-kissing attributes flew off to, but they were all gone and replaced by a Lagos 'agbero' attitude. My smooth English quickly replaced by pidgin. I didn't even know gay approach would do this to me.
"Oga, abeg keep your stupid money joor. I can't do shit with you even for a million dollars" I said that, but deep down I was crying as I threw his wad of cash in his face, got down from his car and slammed his door shut. Bloody mf.
I walked dejectedly to the road and hailed a taxi to take me home. The experience was one that would last in my head for a long time, and I knew it would disturb me for longer...

1 Like

Re: On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites by Twelvedemon12(m): 8:50pm On May 08, 2022
Nice story...
Following
Re: On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites by Johnny234(m): 9:29am On May 13, 2022
Nice write up Nxt pls....
Re: On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites by hfinest1(m): 8:10pm On May 15, 2022
3b

That was the last time I ever saw Cam at the hotel and work resumed the next day as usual.

It wasn't up to two weeks after that encounter that I had another one. That Friday, I was leaving the hotel when I ran into someone in the reception. He was booking a room. His baby face looked too familiar to forget. The face remained the same. I don't know how he managed to grow older in age, but still not age one day in facial looks. No beard, no pimples, no lines on his face. If you didn't know him well, you'd mistaken him for a small boy of 18 or 19, whereas he was way above 20. Almost the same age with me, but he still looked nearly as young as he did when we were in school together.
"Ration baba!!" I screamed in surprise.
He stared at me, trying to remember my face, but he played along probably sure I was a friend from secondary school, cos secondary school was the last place he probably answered the nickname ration.
We had given him that nickname when he was always complaining of how the ration of food we were served in the dining was too small and always asking for extra ration (which he never got by the way, although some of us used to give him an extra spoon or two from our own meagre rations). He looked deeply at me and I guess recognition dawned on him as he shouted back "Mickey mouse!! Na you be this?" Then rushed to wrap me in a tight hug, which I reciprocated immediately. Yeah, my nick in school was Mickey mouse, from my name Mike and I loved drawing the cartoon Mickey mouse a lot in my books and on papers and pasting on the class walls, so everyone started calling me that and it stuck till we left school.
" Brotherly, na your bro be this o. How you dey na?" I asked him, shaking his hand.
"I'm good o, bad guy. Wetin carry you come here na?" He shook my hand again.
You know one funny thing about guys? When you see two guys greet on the road or stop for a short conversation, there's every tendency that more handshakes than sentences will occur there. I don't just know why we're like that, but for every sentence we exchanged, it was backed up with a handshake.
"I work here bro. Na my base be this. Wetin carry you come my area na?" I asked. Another round of handshake again.
"Oboy, I came to relieve myself of the stress from hustling o, and I have a meeting with a business partner later this evening, and we decided to meet up here, but I arrived earlier and booked a room to unwind and relax a little, before business. Using one stone to kill two birds, you dig?" He flashed me a smile, then turned to the receptionist. "Please have a bottle of red wine, two glasses and two plates of catfish pepper soup brought up to my room now. Thanks." He grabbed his keys from the receptionist and carried his small backpack up and backed it. Then, patting my shoulder, he dragged me along as we headed for the stairs. "Bro, abeg escort me to my room, let's have a reunion party. Hope the hotel will permit that?"
"Yeah, why not?"
Immediately we entered his room on the second floor, he asked me "so, what do you do here?"
"Assistant manager" I replied him.
"Oh... Omo, you dey see money be that o" he laughed.
"Well, not enough, but we count our blessings. Ka sha ma dupe. After all, no be everybody wey finish school get work" I sighed.
"Na true o... Man gats bless God in everything. No be like me wey finish school since, still no work. Na so so hungry dey hook person life" he laughed again.
I knew he was being sarcastic. He didn't look hungry or jobless. Maybe he didn't have a job, but I was sure he had a booming business. He said earlier that he came to the hotel for a business meeting, didn't he?
"Guy, you, hungry? Omo, no make me laugh abeg. Street dog dey complain of hunger, parlour dog too dey follow talk" I rolled my eyes at him, causing a bout of laughter from both of us.
"So, I be parlour dog abi? You don turn me to chiwawa!! Thunder abeg where you dey na?" We burst out laughing again. Then a knock on the door from room service.
A maid wheeled in a trolley containing two plates, covered and a bottle of wine and two glass cups arranged on a tray. Immediately her eyes met mine, she bowed her head slightly and greeted "good afternoon sir"
"Betty, how are you?"
"Fine sir. Enjoy your stay sir" she said to my friend before exiting the room.
My guy turned to me immediately she was out of the room, after taking extra efforts to peel his eyes off her her rotund behind.
"Oh boy, you go dey enjoy for here o. All these girls go dey give you anyhow, as per oga things na"
"If I hear! Make my manager sack me abi? If my boss hear say any staff dey date another staff, their two don lose job that day be that. He doesn't tolerate office romance at all"
"Hmmm... Abeg make we chop before the soup go cold. This una AC for here na die"
We both dug into the plates and silently savoured the meal. After a while of eating, the pepper started hitting home and i reached for the chilled bottle and opened it, pouring into both glasses. After drinking the wine and calming the pepper on my tongue, I decided to ask the million dollar question that had been on my mind since I saw him.
"Bro, I wan ask you something o... Hope say you no go mind?" I started.
"For why na? You na my blood, you fit ask me anything you wan ask me. Wetin dey happen Mickey mouse? Talk to your gee"
"Baba, I just dey admire the way you take dress, your suit is top quality no doubt. This hotel is expensive as Bleep. I know that cos it's my job to. The price of the food is something else. You paid for the room, ordered two plates of very costly pepper soup and a bottle of equally costly red wine. All these without flinching. Bro, jokes apart, all these are indications that you dey see money. Make we no whyne ourself again, bar dey your hand. Abeg, wetin you dey do? Where do you work? What do you do fit a living bro? Abeg show me road. This hotel work no fit give me the kind life wey i wan live, I swear." I was nearly begging him now. Hoping desperately that he'll tell me or better still, introduce me to his business so I can leave this job once and for all for a better life.
"Hmmm bro... You na my blood, I no fit lie give you. I go tell you wetin I dey do, but first, I gats attack this catfish head with all concentration before we talk, abeg" with that, he went back to attacking the fish.
I smiled and faced my plate and cup too.
We finished eating and he called room service to clear the plates.
"So, about what you asked me..." He was about saying more before his phone interrupted. "That must be my business partner. He's early o!" He answered the call and spoke into the phone. I didn't listen to what he was saying, as I considered it rude and impolite to listen in on someone's conversation, so I just focused on sipping my wine and getting lost in my thoughts.
After the call, he stood up.
"Bro, I gats run along abeg. He just called me to come pick him up. He's already at the reception. Try come my room before you close for the day, maybe for evening. By then my guest go don comot. So we go reason wella abeg no vex"
"Alright, no p. I'll check on you later na" and with that, we both stumbled out of his room, heading for the stairs. He went down the stairs while I went up to my office.

2 Likes

Re: On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites by Twelvedemon12(m): 5:18pm On May 16, 2022
Hmm this ration Baba self get the way
Re: On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites by AyotossFund(m): 9:18pm On May 24, 2022
Nice story, pls feed us with more updates,
Re: On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites by Twelvedemon12(m): 10:52pm On May 24, 2022
Op what's up
Long time
Re: On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites by Johnny234(m): 7:45pm On Jun 03, 2022
hfinest1:
3b

That was the last time I ever saw Cam at the hotel and work resumed the next day as usual.

It wasn't up to two weeks after that encounter that I had another one. That Friday, I was leaving the hotel when I ran into someone in the reception. He was booking a room. His baby face looked too familiar to forget. The face remained the same. I don't know how he managed to grow older in age, but still not age one day in facial looks. No beard, no pimples, no lines on his face. If you didn't know him well, you'd mistaken him for a small boy of 18 or 19, whereas he was way above 20. Almost the same age with me, but he still looked nearly as young as he did when we were in school together.
"Ration baba!!" I screamed in surprise.
He stared at me, trying to remember my face, but he played along probably sure I was a friend from secondary school, cos secondary school was the last place he probably answered the nickname ration.
We had given him that nickname when he was always complaining of how the ration of food we were served in the dining was too small and always asking for extra ration (which he never got by the way, although some of us used to give him an extra spoon or two from our own meagre rations). He looked deeply at me and I guess recognition dawned on him as he shouted back "Mickey mouse!! Na you be this?" Then rushed to wrap me in a tight hug, which I reciprocated immediately. Yeah, my nick in school was Mickey mouse, from my name Mike and I loved drawing the cartoon Mickey mouse a lot in my books and on papers and pasting on the class walls, so everyone started calling me that and it stuck till we left school.
" Brotherly, na your bro be this o. How you dey na?" I asked him, shaking his hand.
"I'm good o, bad guy. Wetin carry you come here na?" He shook my hand again.
You know one funny thing about guys? When you see two guys greet on the road or stop for a short conversation, there's every tendency that more handshakes than sentences will occur there. I don't just know why we're like that, but for every sentence we exchanged, it was backed up with a handshake.
"I work here bro. Na my base be this. Wetin carry you come my area na?" I asked. Another round of handshake again.
"Oboy, I came to relieve myself of the stress from hustling o, and I have a meeting with a business partner later this evening, and we decided to meet up here, but I arrived earlier and booked a room to unwind and relax a little, before business. Using one stone to kill two birds, you dig?" He flashed me a smile, then turned to the receptionist. "Please have a bottle of red wine, two glasses and two plates of catfish pepper soup brought up to my room now. Thanks." He grabbed his keys from the receptionist and carried his small backpack up and backed it. Then, patting my shoulder, he dragged me along as we headed for the stairs. "Bro, abeg escort me to my room, let's have a reunion party. Hope the hotel will permit that?"
"Yeah, why not?"
Immediately we entered his room on the second floor, he asked me "so, what do you do here?"
"Assistant manager" I replied him.
"Oh... Omo, you dey see money be that o" he laughed.
"Well, not enough, but we count our blessings. Ka sha ma dupe. After all, no be everybody wey finish school get work" I sighed.
"Na true o... Man gats bless God in everything. No be like me wey finish school since, still no work. Na so so hungry dey hook person life" he laughed again.
I knew he was being sarcastic. He didn't look hungry or jobless. Maybe he didn't have a job, but I was sure he had a booming business. He said earlier that he came to the hotel for a business meeting, didn't he?
"Guy, you, hungry? Omo, no make me laugh abeg. Street dog dey complain of hunger, parlour dog too dey follow talk" I rolled my eyes at him, causing a bout of laughter from both of us.
"So, I be parlour dog abi? You don turn me to chiwawa!! Thunder abeg where you dey na?" We burst out laughing again. Then a knock on the door from room service.
A maid wheeled in a trolley containing two plates, covered and a bottle of wine and two glass cups arranged on a tray. Immediately her eyes met mine, she bowed her head slightly and greeted "good afternoon sir"
"Betty, how are you?"
"Fine sir. Enjoy your stay sir" she said to my friend before exiting the room.
My guy turned to me immediately she was out of the room, after taking extra efforts to peel his eyes off her her rotund behind.
"Oh boy, you go dey enjoy for here o. All these girls go dey give you anyhow, as per oga things na"
"If I hear! Make my manager sack me abi? If my boss hear say any staff dey date another staff, their two don lose job that day be that. He doesn't tolerate office romance at all"
"Hmmm... Abeg make we chop before the soup go cold. This una AC for here na die"
We both dug into the plates and silently savoured the meal. After a while of eating, the pepper started hitting home and i reached for the chilled bottle and opened it, pouring into both glasses. After drinking the wine and calming the pepper on my tongue, I decided to ask the million dollar question that had been on my mind since I saw him.
"Bro, I wan ask you something o... Hope say you no go mind?" I started.
"For why na? You na my blood, you fit ask me anything you wan ask me. Wetin dey happen Mickey mouse? Talk to your gee"
"Baba, I just dey admire the way you take dress, your suit is top quality no doubt. This hotel is expensive as Bleep. I know that cos it's my job to. The price of the food is something else. You paid for the room, ordered two plates of very costly pepper soup and a bottle of equally costly red wine. All these without flinching. Bro, jokes apart, all these are indications that you dey see money. Make we no whyne ourself again, bar dey your hand. Abeg, wetin you dey do? Where do you work? What do you do fit a living bro? Abeg show me road. This hotel work no fit give me the kind life wey i wan live, I swear." I was nearly begging him now. Hoping desperately that he'll tell me or better still, introduce me to his business so I can leave this job once and for all for a better life.
"Hmmm bro... You na my blood, I no fit lie give you. I go tell you wetin I dey do, but first, I gats attack this catfish head with all concentration before we talk, abeg" with that, he went back to attacking the fish.
I smiled and faced my plate and cup too.
We finished eating and he called room service to clear the plates.
"So, about what you asked me..." He was about saying more before his phone interrupted. "That must be my business partner. He's early o!" He answered the call and spoke into the phone. I didn't listen to what he was saying, as I considered it rude and impolite to listen in on someone's conversation, so I just focused on sipping my wine and getting lost in my thoughts.
After the call, he stood up.
"Bro, I gats run along abeg. He just called me to come pick him up. He's already at the reception. Try come my room before you close for the day, maybe for evening. By then my guest go don comot. So we go reason wella abeg no vex"
"Alright, no p. I'll check on you later na" and with that, we both stumbled out of his room, heading for the stairs. He went down the stairs while I went up to my office.
Give us update
Re: On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites by Hurklan(m): 8:39am On Sep 03, 2022
Good to be back here after many years… hfinest1, my G fire on
Re: On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites by hfinest1(m): 10:08pm On Sep 03, 2022
Hurklan:
Good to be back here after many years… hfinest1, my G fire on
hey bro, where have you been?? I've been looking for you all over the streets of NL, but you've been scarce like a virgin. What's up bro? How the go dey go?
Re: On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites by Hurklan(m): 7:12am On May 10, 2023
hfinest1:
hey bro, where have you been?? I've been looking for you all over the streets of NL, but you've been scarce like a virgin. What's up bro? How the go dey go?
. I just switched lane to Twitter my G, no mind me jare
Re: On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites by dawno2008(m): 6:26pm On Jul 28, 2023
Pls complete this story
Re: On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites by hfinest1(m): 4:47pm On Nov 01, 2023
dawno2008:
Pls complete this story
will do so soon bro...

Lot of work to be done, buut just sit tight and hold onto your popcorn

(1) (Reply)

Between Cyprian Ekwensi And Norman Mailer, And Nigerian Intellectual Morons / New Day / The Forbidden Fruit: The Bosom(tff1)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 161
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.