Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,706 members, 7,816,898 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:44 PM

Between Cyprian Ekwensi And Norman Mailer, And Nigerian Intellectual Morons - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Between Cyprian Ekwensi And Norman Mailer, And Nigerian Intellectual Morons (1992 Views)

Cyprian Ekwensi's 94th Posthumous Birthday Is Today / Intellectual Property Removed At Owner's Request / Cyprian Ekwensi Dies At 86 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Between Cyprian Ekwensi And Norman Mailer, And Nigerian Intellectual Morons by Orikinla(m): 11:39am On Nov 22, 2007
When Norman Mailer died on November 10, 2007, the news of his passage was on the leading newspapers and major TV channels in America and Britain and I saw him on the CNN, SKY and the BBC. But none of these foreign news media reported the news of the passage of Cyprian Ekwensi who even died earlier in the same month on the 4th and my disappointment has been more pronounced by the ignorance of our own news media who only reported the news of Ekwensi's transition below their headlines and only The Guardian has given us a full report on the life of our own Charles Dickens, Cyprian Ekwensi. I have not even heard or read any statements by his contemporary literary icons like Chinua Achebe and Wole Soyinka.

I am really disappointed by the intellectual ignorance of the majority of Nigerians online and offline. That is why I do not have much regard for the ignorant posts of Nigerians on Nairaland and other Nigerian forums and blogs.

Abubuwan da nake tunani has posted on the passage of Cyprian Ekwensi and she is only a 30-year-old female graduate student in America. But what are our own Nigerian female writers doing? They have not even written a sentence on Cyprian Ekwensi and the intellectual morons online who were pretending to love African literature by merely name-dropping have no clue.

Only very few of us in the Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA) have noted this historical passage.

Norman Kingsley Mailer (January 31, 1923 – November 10, 2007) was famous as the author of "The Nkaed and the Dead" (1948) as our own Cyprian Ekwensi was famous as the author of "Jagua Nana" (1961). Both great authors were prolific writers and were not only accomplised novelists, but also journalists.

Both old geniuses died whilst undergoing surgical operations.

Ekwensi died on 4 November 2007 at the age of 86 at the Niger Foundation in Enugu, where he underwent an operation for an undisclosed ailment.

May Cyprian Ekwensi rest in perfect peace.

Re: Between Cyprian Ekwensi And Norman Mailer, And Nigerian Intellectual Morons by Ndipe(m): 1:00am On Nov 23, 2007
Nigeria: Our Literature And Its Disappearing Elders

Email This Page

Print This Page

Comment on this article

Visit The Publisher's Site

Leadership (Abuja)

OPINION
10 November 2007
Posted to the web 10 November 2007

John Akpan

Perhaps because of their somewhat audacious and largely bohemian character and tendencies, most events that concern those in the world of the arts often come with ironies and tragic posers.

News of the death of Cyprian Ekwensi this week, took time to spread, almost like a non-event, and yet, an Ekwensi event should be accorded the deserved limelight and an open celebration, especially in our literary and media communities. But that is Ekwensi. I'm sure many Nigerians may not have known much about a man called Ntienyong Udo Akpan (forget the historical fact that he was Biafra's secretary of State). N.U. Akpan was a writer. He died and was quietly buried, sometime last year. Or indeed, the recent passage of James Ene Henshaw, buried some weeks ago.

For me, there is so much spirituality between my early literary encounters and these early men of letters. I can put the timeline at some 30 years ago. As an African child, (Camara Laye also made my early world) I had confronted the typical African cosmos of rich and crowded pantheon; the ringing echoes of the rustic rhythm of daily living; sports, warfare and endless scenes of communal and cultural intercourse. All these elements were constant in my dreams, songs, childhood imagination and concrete imageries of the outside world. I grew with that.

N.U. Akpan, James Ene Henshaw and Cyprian Ekwensi, collectively launched me into a world full of pure cerebral enjoyment, the awe of masquerades, and promises of self - contentment and peace, if one were to live and behave like the good heroes of their works. I later came to understand this as necessary moral lessons they deliberately generated, through their tactful survey and understanding of their social atmosphere and cultural environment, from where they took and adapted the commonplace fables, legends and folktales and other forms of their social engagement, as raw materials, to weave their stories.

From Akpan's, The Wooden Gong, through Henshaw's, This is Our Chance, to Ekwensi's, Passport of Malam Ilya, and the Burning Grass, I met characters and saw situations and scenes of human motion and emotions that fitted personal experiences in my little rural community.

I held onto this, until later in college where James Ngugi's (later Ngugi wa Thiong'O) Weep Not Child, further confirmed the character of African literary theme, colour and spirituality, as well as its large overflow of historio-cultural content. Then came the sharp dramatic shock of William Wordsworth's poetry, where I found myself in an entrancing literary suspension between such pretty and smart imaginary pictures, compressed by Wordsworth into short beautiful verses and the powerful waterfalls of African narrative, by writers like Akpan, Laye, Achebe, Ngugi, Henshaw and Ekwensi. My humble world of words, imagination and imagery began; and I've lived, experienced and carried these impressions ever since. But it pains me that these figures who often manifest as fatherly emanations and as teachers in my psyche, are fast depleting, Ever quietly.

For decades, I thought and believed (rightly so), that literature was sacred, and that its craft is a creation of sorts.

I wondered, and still wonder why African writers preoccupy themselves with the portrayal of the simple, quiet, rugged terrain of African life, even where there are big mansions in urban centres and posh Mercedes Benz cars that stream along its highways. What is their attraction to the former that would make them to write with so much profundity? When I met Prof. Ime Ikhide (he wrote the preface to Ngugi's Weep Not Child), the source of their inspiration suddenly hit me. But a strand of this debate still continues.

My interest now has been on the location, role and historical engagement of the Association of Nigerian Authors, (ANA). I remember, way back in the 1980s in Kano, and later in Abuja, when a few people, including my friend, Aliyu Ibrahim (with his fiery anti-apartheid poems), and one Akilu Abdullahi, (Hitler!) - and me, too - tried to organise a reading club. We thought very highly of any engagement in poetry, playwriting, or prose, almost to the point of regarding such people as community seers!

Our early experiences, or hope, were to create a kind of sense of strong community and brotherhood among ourselves, and to be open about our fledgling literary endeavours; to bounce about ideas of good character creation, development of unpredictable and dramatic plots, fresh and creative story lines, and all such things. We thought about these things as being extremely important in the craft. We worried less about getting published - ah! that was lofty and dream-like.

Even today, my vocation has plenty to do with matters like these, and it has proved to me severally, that a good literary product from a good, fertile mind, will find good publishers, readership and a good market. And finally, recognition. Shouldn't this be the natural trajectory in the trade? From a distance as a non-member of ANA, I take light interest in what the association does with our heritage. The last big thing about ANA that I knew of, was the hoopla about whether former President Babangida should be allowed to make a speech at its annual award ceremony or not. Needless debate, it turned out to be.

The business of writing is often self-revelatory, for better or for worse. From ANA's analyses of some of the output of new generation writers, some of the comments I read have been very grave. I hear of grammatical errors, slips and general poor execution of the stories they attempt to tell. This underlines the huge work ANA has to undertake. I've personally read some of today's Nigerian poetry, offered as mere common stories, chopped into pieces as verses.

Please, I don't intend to offend, because there are many beautiful exceptions - deep, refreshing masterpieces. I've also read them. By the way, has anybody read any poem by Chinweizu? Which brings us to the futility of introducing generational markers into Nigerian literature, with the Achebe - Soyinka era, as not only the ultimate benchmark, but the mainframe by which to assess ourselves. Nothing terribly wrong there, but where do you place people like N.U. Akpan, Sa'Adu Zungur, Ene Henshaw and Cyprian Ekwensi?

Relevant Links

West Africa
Arts, Culture and Entertainment
Books
Nigeria

ANA should re-survey its universe, not necessarily for equitable distribution of the NLNG dollar-denominated award, but for it to capture all its vital constituents. For the awards though, I have my reservations. Already, Niyi Osundare has declined being included in the next one. The point really is this, if this year's went to long-standing personages like Mabel Segun and Akachi Eze-igbo, one can't possibly say these were not deserving, but the devil is, in trying to evaluate the comments about Peter Umez's book, to wit, that it has the potentiality to win the award, in future.

I take this to mean that the next award will go to the young writer's work; but what I don't understand is if it will be so only when he revises the book, or that the future judges should expect poorer entries. I raised this point with a published and widely read poet, Dr. Leonard Emuren, (a medical doctor, like Dr. Ene Henshaw), who visited Nigeria lately, and he simply chuckled.

Our literary community should go back in time, to see how it all began, so as to do justice to the real pioneers. Or how will the ANA, particularly, say goodnight to N.U. Akpan, James Ene Henshaw and Cyprian Ekwensi?

http://allafrica.com/stories/200711100177.html
Re: Between Cyprian Ekwensi And Norman Mailer, And Nigerian Intellectual Morons by Orikinla(m): 3:06pm On Nov 23, 2007
Ndipe,
Thanks.

I have saved and posted the links to all the reports on the passage of Cyprian Ekwensi on Kisses & Roses.

One of the leading promoters of Nigerian literature and active reading culture, who also runs the Rainbow Bookshop in Port Harcourt, the distributors of one of my books, Mrs. Kolo Kalango already wrote a good feature on Dr. James Henshaw and I have already put Cyprian Ekwensi on the Heroes Hall of Fame of my international forum months ago.

The Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA) is still the only credible body for Nigerian authors. But most of the administrators have their shortcomings.
The ANA website is an aplogia to trivia and the so called Nigeria LNG Prize for Literature is more than meets the eye of the beholder, because I was there at the inception of the committee's meeting at the Federal Palace Hotel on Victoria Island, Lagos.
Ma Mabel Segun and Pa Gabriel Okara who won the prizes did so more on consolatory grounds for their long decades of service to the sustainable development of Nigerian Literature.

Back to the passage of Cyprian Ekwensi.
The most celebrated Nigerian authors, Professors Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe who love parading to the gallery of Western literary pageants actually think they are greater and higher than the genius of Cyprian Ekwensi and were busy weeks ago, posing and posturing in the US to celebrate the life and death of Christopher Okigbo that the Igbo Nigerians have claimed to be the most universal poet and most popular African poet.
They were all still basking in the euphoria of displaying their ego-centric expertise on the corpus of Christopher Okigbo's poetry whilst Cyprian Ekwensi took his last breath.

The fact is, the genius of Cyprian Ekwensi has not been accorded the appreciation he deserved.

There is no novel that Chinua Achebe wrote, that Cyprian Ekwensi couldn't write if he wanted to. But he preferred to chronicle the socio-cultural life of Nigerians from the East to the West to the North in all his novels. He was not a one-novel hero.

I can count all the reports on the transition of Cyprian Ekwensi on my fingertips and their shallow public response. The first post on Nairaland by Christino on November 5, only attracted some comments.

The erratic internet service in our estate has disrupted my reports and posts online, but I have been monitoring the responses.
The major Nigerian TV channels are still the most disappointing.
Mr. Peter Igho of the Nigerian Televison Authority (NTA), who was very dynamic in his younger days seems to have run out of ideas and two of their prominent producers and directors failed the screening for two of my projects.

To evaluate the intellectual knowledge of most Nigerians based on the population of Nairaland, simply compare the discussion boards on romance, sex, music/radio, TV/movies and the discussion boards on Literature and culture.
The majority of Nigerians prefer GIGO.

(1) (Reply)

Dance of the gods!!! / Download Free Ebooks Online In Nigeria / On The Run (a Story) By Elishawrites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.