Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,709 members, 7,827,585 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:00 PM

Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok (9322 Views)

MUST READ : Why Gtbank Latest 737 Simple Mobile Banking Is A Beautiful Nonsense / Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Joins Lazard As Senior Advisor / Gtbank Internet Banking Is The Worst In Internet Banking History! Kilode! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by SUV(f): 2:23pm On Jul 07, 2011
Much ado about nothing!
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by NegroNtns(m): 2:41pm On Jul 07, 2011
The problem isn't what Ngozi approves or disapproves. The issue should be regarding religious sponsorship what does the constitution say?

Does constitution give Nigeria a religious status, in other words, is Nigeria a christian nation, a muslim nation or an Ifa nation?

If its none of these, then Nigeria has since independence been supporting and sponsoring a Christianity Banking.

Nigeria has been sponsoring and subjecting its citizens to a Christianity civil jurisprudence.

Has anyone thought about that when weighing the Northerner's demand for Sharia and Islamic banking?
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by ektbear: 2:43pm On Jul 07, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

The problem isn't what Ngozi approves or disapproves. The issue should be regarding religious sponsorship what does the constitution say?

Does constitution give Nigeria a religious status, in other words, is Nigeria a christian nation, a muslim nation or an Ifa nation?

If its none of these, then Nigeria has since independence been supporting and sponsoring a Christianity Banking.

Nigeria has been sponsoring and subjecting its citizens to a Christianity civil jurisprudence.

Has anyone thought about that when weighing the Northerner's demand for Sharia and Islamic banking?

What on earth is Christian banking? What is Christian civil jurisprudence? When did Nigeria support or implement either?
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by tpia5: 2:48pm On Jul 07, 2011
What's christian banking?

And how long before the talk turns to jewish banking/jewish bankers and world domination.
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by NegroNtns(m): 2:58pm On Jul 07, 2011
I'm glad the beautiful ladies, ekt and tpia asked.

Particularly, an interest derivative savings and loans system was the creation of the Jews.

It was frowned upon and condemned by God with injunctions in the Quran that specifically forbade Mohammed not to charge people interest on debt.

The law system we practice is also a direct derivative of the Judeo-Christian laws.

We did not change our law or banking ethos after independence to reflect indigenous customs.

Our native customary laws are not judeo-christian and are not islamic.

Our native savings and loan system does not charge interest on debts.
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by nduchucks: 2:58pm On Jul 07, 2011
ekt_bear:

What on earth is Christian banking? What is Christian civil jurisprudence? When did Nigeria support or implement either?

hehehe, Malam ekt_bear, Negro_Ntns has ann excellent and valid point. You of all people should know that Judeo-Christian morality and their substance has been woven into Western jurisprudence and that our laws are based upon the said western jurisprudence.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander, buddy.  cheesy
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jul 07, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

ROTFL!! grin grin
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by mallorca(m): 3:02pm On Jul 07, 2011
that is her own opinion
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jul 07, 2011
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jul 07, 2011
^^ sorry vatican
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by NegroNtns(m): 3:07pm On Jul 07, 2011
Ibebe-Idi, do not start any war this morning. Lol!

A typo! I also used a double negative in saying "forbade mohammed not to". But I didn't need to correct because people are smart and figure out the error and move on.
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by ektbear: 3:08pm On Jul 07, 2011
Hehe

I am both a mallam and a madam? lmao

In case it isn't clear, I'm a dude.

Negro_Ntns:

Particularly, an interest derivative savings and loans system was the creation of the Jews.
Evidence for this? I thought their traditional law bans that type of stuff? Remember the 7th year debt forgiveness from the bible (old testament, iirc), etc? You'll need to provide a reference to back this up.

The law system we practice is also a direct derivative of the Judeo-Christian laws.
Any evidence for this? English law is derived from Christianity or Judaism? Provide a reference to back it up.
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by NegroNtns(m): 3:13pm On Jul 07, 2011
Ekt, don't mind Ileke's mischief. It was my error.

Ilekeidi owe me one!
Bak to point, ekt, if you want proof google has it for you. Here is the keyword:

Origin of western civi jurisprudence.
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by Vavavoom(m): 3:13pm On Jul 07, 2011
Would any such bank lend to me if my business border on Pork production and beer brewing, how and what plans does it have to include likeminded entrepreneurs whose business lines fall outside the purview of sharia requirements? Or should I be discriminated against because my business line doesn't fall within the tenents of the sharia code? Views please.
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by ektbear: 3:13pm On Jul 07, 2011
Yep, looks like there is no solid foundation for anyone saying the modern banking system is Christian in origin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_banking

Seems to be Italian in origin, and not developed by any church or religious organization.

So unless someone also wants to call pizza and spaghetti Christian, then doesn't seem to be any good argument for calling modern banking either
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by NegroNtns(m): 3:16pm On Jul 07, 2011
Would a regular bank loan to you apply for business loan to operate prostitution ring, or to finance a marijuana farm?

I mean common, do we have to test the will of our judgement outside of what is obvious?
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by vicenzo(m): 3:20pm On Jul 07, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

It was frowned upon and condemned by God with injunctions in the Quran that specifically forbade Mohammed not to charge people interest on debt.

We did not change our law or banking ethos after independence to reflect indigenous customs.

Our native customary laws are not judeo-christian and are not islamic.

Our native savings and loan system does not charge interest on debts.

Gosh! So ekt bear is a woman,damn! I should have known,no wonder he once said that negro nts is a man after his heart,hehehe! This love  must be strong,love nwantiti.

grin
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by jamace(m): 3:23pm On Jul 07, 2011
@OP,

YOU LIE, @Enyojo said

They asked her about "Non-interest Banking" NOT "Islamic Banking", there is a whole lot difference between the words and terms used. Don't deceive yourself and try to assume what she did not say.

Thank you jare to the highlighted. And in her response  she never mentioned "Islamic" banking. She talked about only non-interest banking.  The writer of that article should be sued for misquoting our adorable madam.

There is a whole world of difference between Islamic Banking and Non-interest banking.
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by ektbear: 3:24pm On Jul 07, 2011
Of course banks will not loan you money to do something illegal. But there is nothing religious in their hesitancy. I don't understand what the point of that example is. Make it something religious that isn't explicitly illegal, and I'm sure you can find a bank willing to loan you money for it.

Las Vegas for example. . . that city was built w/ bank assistance. And gambling is usually banned in Christianity (or at least so I've been told)

Anyway, there is nothing obvious at all about banking being Christian. Besides, many things which seem obvious after thinking about them a bit more the answer turns out to be different than you thought.
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by Chyz2: 3:26pm On Jul 07, 2011
You all should reread what was quoted for saying. She never said she supported it or is not going to go against it. I like the way she worded it. If she had been straight foward those muslims doing the screen would have made sure they truncated her being cleared for the ministerial position. That's what you call politics. cool
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by ektbear: 3:26pm On Jul 07, 2011
@vicenzo: Hehe  grin

How about this, if you have a beautiful single female relative (of the right age), you can introduce her to me. That way I can both demonstrate that I don't hate your folk and settle what is being disputed in this thread grin
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by nogames: 3:27pm On Jul 07, 2011
what do you expect ngozi to say, no be alhajis DOMINATE SENATE, Christians for years play free care role in Nigeria politic. They believe politics is dirty game which is truth but we need to be part of decision make to better  the lot of our people.i think  SOME ONE SHOULD ASK CBN WHY ARABIC IS WRITTEN ON NIGERIA Currencies
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by Vavavoom(m): 3:32pm On Jul 07, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Would a regular bank loan to you apply for business loan to operate prostitution ring, or to finance a marijuana farm?

I mean common, do we have to test the will of our judgement outside of what is obvious?

@ Negro_Ntns,

if your reply was to my quest for clarification I find your summation troubling.
The challenge in question is to educate people and create awareness about the difference and advantage of Islamic banking over conventional interest banking and I have just asked a question that could be a tipping point in the future for practioneers of the prospective banking system Sanusi and co wants to sell to us and you trivialize it. Christians eat pork and are involved in the business of beer brewering, would such Islamic bank(s) grant loan on an equal right basis to a chrisitian who seeks to grow his/her bussiness and make profit available for sharing? Or will these banks be segregated on this premise of religious belief? Please the comparison of Marijuana and prostitution to pork and brewery smacks of illogicity. Conventional interest banks loan to breweries and pork farmers, if such entrepreneurs can get loans that are interest free don't you think it will translate into better economic indices - good wlefare for employed workers etc. Please let us think.
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by tpia5: 3:33pm On Jul 07, 2011
Negro

thank you very much for finally admitting this is all about religion and nothing more.

As for your beautiful ladies talk- hmm that was a freudian slip.
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by vicenzo(m): 3:35pm On Jul 07, 2011
@ekt bear.

I was just messing with you.
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by ektbear: 3:43pm On Jul 07, 2011
vicenzo:

@ekt bear.

I was just messing with you.

Hehe, I'm joking too man (unless you really do happen to have an attractive single female relative you wanna introduce me to grin ). You know I don't get offended much by things on NL
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by VoodooDoll(m): 3:44pm On Jul 07, 2011
If you think Islamic Banking is "truly" interest free, you dey joke.

It is simply interest compounded to be paid when the loan matures,

A very simple explanation of it:

So you want a loan for a house that costs N10m.

- I "buy" the house from you for N10m today;
- then you promise to buy it back from me in 10 years time for say N20m (based on expected valuation that is I keep profit);
- or you promise to pay back N2m a year for 10 years as the "value" increases;
- should you miss a N2m a year payback, then you have breached our trust;
- if you miss payment I sell you back the house immediately and you pay me the value or I sell the house to someone else.

Please tell me how this is "interest free" banking.
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by Vavavoom(m): 4:04pm On Jul 07, 2011
@All,

There are fundamentals that should be cleared before we delve into any such practice. There is claim that such Islamic banks when set up will be for all - an ALL-COMER interest-free bank. I applaud. After most in here can testify to the crunching nature of shylock loans secured from conventional interest banks. Why won't any sensible person want a loan that is interest free? However there are basics that must be straightened out so that we don't have to move the goal post midway into practice. For this reason I have asked previously: on what law will this prospective interest-free Islamic bank be based since it will carter to all-comers? Will its laws interfer and prevent people with entrepreneural ability from scaling their business because of religious non-compliance? I gave pork farming and beer brewing as examples of such bussinesses - will Islamic banking support me in my quest as a Nigerian to grow any such bussiness against likely religious underlying tenents of its practices? These na some of the issues we suppose to dey yarn - proponents oya over to una
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by dogice(m): 4:09pm On Jul 07, 2011
will the female bankers be allowed to dress as they want or will they be forced to cover their faces undecided , just asking though
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by Ayoobscom(m): 4:19pm On Jul 07, 2011
How much affirmation or confirmation will you give dullards that will ever please them,

Hipocricy  was what brought christianity into existence in the first place so i aint borthered,
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by tpia5: 4:24pm On Jul 07, 2011
Mmmh hmm
Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jul 07, 2011
On a lighter note, if the governments could sponsor and spend billions on both Muslim and Christain pilgrims on pilgrimages, then why are people resisting the introduction of Islamic banking into the country?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How To Grow Your Online Business Fast On Facebook And Instagram / Etisalat's Easybusiness Millionaire Hunt For Small and Medium Enterprises / PZ Cussons Declares N2.3bn Pre-tax Loss In Q1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.