Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,430 members, 7,815,969 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:31 PM

What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? (11768 Views)

Have You Ever Been Rejected For A Remote Job Because You're Nigerian. / Getting A Remote Job In Nigeria That Pays In Dollars / 3 Sectors With High Employment Rate Unemployed Graduates Should Consider (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by Lindner: 1:24pm On Apr 18, 2022
1. Do your due diligence when applying for remote work. I receive an average of 2 fraudulent emails per week from unintelligent fraudsters. The email is my dedicated application email. They probably got it from past applications I submitted or othe related means.

2. Any opportunity that involves paying money before employment is mostly likely fake no matter how polished the process looks.

3. Don't embark on unnecessary take-home (coding assignment). What you'll realise is that some freelancers in India are delivering your coding interview (assignment) to their clients. They never wanted to employ you in the first place. They have a freelance contract they can't do or don't have time to do (either the full task or part of the contract). They just simply open a job advert and give it applicants to complete. After submission, you either never receive any feedback or they inform you that your application was unsuccessful. You need experience and wisdom to filter through this.

4. Remote job requires alot of discipline. As I'm typing now, I have a heap load of tasks to complete for the two companies I work with but I'm not motivated to start even though it's Monday.

Whatever you do, never give up.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by zeestone99(m): 1:24pm On Apr 18, 2022
You need steady power for your remote jobs, call me for your solar power setups. We have provided solutions to our many tech clients nationwide.

Call/chat - 08117398294

5 Likes

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by pocohantas(f): 1:28pm On Apr 18, 2022
Lordsonn:
I work as a remote/virtual lecturer for two universities - one in the United States and the other in Europe. All I can say is have at least two well functioning laptops and at least 4G network of two mobile Telecom. Be ready to work both days and nights. I earned about $1700 monthly and I am grateful to God for it. Also, remember to pay your tithes

Well said. We think we are working in Nigeria, but when you work with foreigners, we go know say we dey catch cruise for here. The good thing is, every second counts!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by inumidun2010(m): 1:31pm On Apr 18, 2022
Lordsonn:
I work as a remote/virtual lecturer for two universities - one in the United States and the other in Europe. All I can say is have at least two well functioning laptops and at least 4G network of two mobile Telecom. Be ready to work both days and nights. I earned about $1700 monthly and I am grateful to God for it. Also, remember to pay your tithes

I applied as a Virtual Tutor in the UNITED STATES... I've been sent mail for a video interview but my mind keeps telling me if I'd be considered because of my accent as an African ... Any hope..I need ginger..

6 Likes

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by gokecont(m): 1:35pm On Apr 18, 2022
Well you can also consult YouTube to see how to get more jobs on unwork and fiverr
Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by Realestatevixen: 1:35pm On Apr 18, 2022
airsaylongcome:
The first consideration is health. These remote jobs you go siddon tire. Then basic due diligence. Any job that involves paying before you get the job, scam. Any job that the interview is on WhatsApp or Telegram, SCAM. Also be somewhat wary of sending your VV/Resume to any Tom, Dixk or Harry. I'm very guarded about my personal identifying information. For example I don't have a LinkedIn or Facebook presence. Does that put me at a disadvantage? Of course it does. But that's my "risk" profile. Have an email account strictly for jobs. I use outlook.com strictly for jobs. Make it a professional looking email. firstname.lastname@blablah.com
Then have loads and loads of patience. I was lucky that the first two remote jobs I applied for, I got an offer letter. Turned one down. Took me 8 months to get a 2nd one in addition to the first one. Take care of your health. Get a good chair and desk. Get a source of steady power. Get good internet.

I wish you luck in your hunt.

Good day sir. Please how can I reach out to you for further advice. I am seriously searching for a remote role, and all I have been receiving is rejection mails. Most of the companies I have been applying to though are based in USA AND UK. Is there any other thing I should try.
Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by richmote: 1:38pm On Apr 18, 2022
Lordsonn:
Please how did you get the job?
Interested
Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by richmote: 1:44pm On Apr 18, 2022
inumidun2010:

I applied as a Virtual Tutor in the UNITED STATES... I've been sent mail for a video interview but my mind keeps telling me if I'd be considered because of my accent as an African ... Any hope..I need ginger..
What subject and how did you apply?
Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by nams77: 1:55pm On Apr 18, 2022
airsaylongcome:
The first consideration is health. These remote jobs you go siddon tire. Then basic due diligence. Any job that involves paying before you get the job, scam. Any job that the interview is on WhatsApp or Telegram, SCAM. Also be somewhat wary of sending your VV/Resume to any Tom, Dixk or Harry. I'm very guarded about my personal identifying information. For example I don't have a LinkedIn or Facebook presence. Does that put me at a disadvantage? Of course it does. But that's my "risk" profile. Have an email account strictly for jobs. I use outlook.com strictly for jobs. Make it a professional looking email. firstname.lastname@blablah.com
Then have loads and loads of patience. I was lucky that the first two remote jobs I applied for, I got an offer letter. Turned one down. Took me 8 months to get a 2nd one in addition to the first one. Take care of your health. Get a good chair and desk. Get a source of steady power. Get good internet.

Can I reach u privately. Have a couple of questions pls
Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by jericco1(m): 1:59pm On Apr 18, 2022
Well make sure they have your peace of mind at the back of their mind.

1 Like

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by kasim155: 2:01pm On Apr 18, 2022
Please am interested in Remote job too, but can anyone here put me through on how to apply for any remote job online. Pleaseeee

1 Like

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by airsaylongcome: 2:16pm On Apr 18, 2022
nams77:

Can I reach u privately. Have a couple of questions pls

Ask me here...I can answer yours or any other persons questions here to the best of my ability. Note however that I'm in my 30s with experience in IT. So my route may not be the best route to follow for not-so-experienced folks

3 Likes

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by shamsin6300(m): 2:17pm On Apr 18, 2022
Lindner:
1. Do your due diligence when applying for remote work. I receive an average of 2 fraudulent emails per week from unintelligent fraudsters. The email is my dedicated application email. They probably got it from past applications I submitted or othe related means.

2. Any opportunity that involves paying money before employment is mostly likely fake no matter how polished the process looks.

3. Don't embark on unnecessary take-home (coding assignment). What you'll realise is that some freelancers in India are delivering your coding interview (assignment) to their clients. They never wanted to employ you in the first place. They have a freelance contract they can't do or don't have time to do (either the full task or part of the contract). They just simply open a job advert and give it applicants to complete. After submission, you either never receive any feedback or they inform you that your application was unsuccessful. You need experience and wisdom to filter through this.

4. Remote job requires alot of discipline. As I'm typing now, I have a heap load of tasks to complete for the two companies I work with but I'm not motivated to start even though it's Monday.

Wish I can be of assist Sir.
Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by airsaylongcome: 2:28pm On Apr 18, 2022
inumidun2010:

Don't let your accent deter you although I'm going to be honest that it could. I work in a Customer facing tech role for a US company and get to speak with Americans daily. I was chosen to take that role because the other European and South American colleagues had a "difficult" accent. It's not easy though as some of those Yankee people start thinking of you as a dumbo when they hear an accent. Some say they want to speak with an American straight up. In those cases, I escalate to my American colleagues and give them the back story so they know where to start.

It can also go the other way. You will think you understand American accent until you hear real life Southern US drawl. I swear you no go hear jack. I didn't know when I said "ehn" one time to a client because the accent senior me by far grin

But there has been some wins sha. I spoke with an American new mum. Her baby was all over her on the background and she was apologising furiously. Told her to put the kid on video and I was making faces for her until she started laughing uncontrollably. I was eventually able to fix the mother's issue. Would you believe she went to my boss to say she just had a wonderful treatment from me and that she would like me to be permanently assigned to her for subsequent engagements. I shock

27 Likes

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by Eaglesence: 2:30pm On Apr 18, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Why did you include take care of your health.. Is there something in particular about remote jobs that can cause health hazard ?
Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by genkins(m): 2:33pm On Apr 18, 2022
Lordsonn:
As educated as you sound, you still believe that in 2022 you have to give your God money as Honour or for him to bless you. Lemme ask you, is he not the God of money(mammon) you are bribing or is he just a hungry god? Lmao

The reason why to went to school is to have the ability to understand things as simple as they are. According to the Bible, paying tithe was never money, was never paid monthly, was given to the levites who in turn remit 10% to the priest(ur Nigerian fraud pastors are neither of such),it was paid under the law(they ran a theocracy), No one paid it like Abraham did to melchizedek.. Ur pastor is no melchizedek etc.. Lecturer wey no sabi

2 Likes

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by airsaylongcome: 2:37pm On Apr 18, 2022
Eaglesence:

Why did you include take care of your health.. Is there something in particular about remote jobs that can cause health hazard ?

You seat down for.long stretches. Especially if it's one of those roles were you have to work during "their" work hours as opposed to roles where you are given tasks to complete. Weight gain, back problems, irregular sleeping hours can f**k your health overtime. Your sleeping can also get messed up especially if you work very far away time zones like US West coast or Australia. You may not think it's doing any damage short term but trust me it will accumulate.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by Eaglesence: 2:38pm On Apr 18, 2022
airsaylongcome:

You seat down for.long stretches. Especially if it's one of those roles were you have to work during "their" work hours as opposed to roles where you are given tasks to complete. Weight gain, back problems, irregular sleeping hours can f**k your health overtime. Your sleeping can also get messed up especially if you work very far away time zones like US West coast or Australia. You may not think it's doing any damage short term but trust me it will accumulate.

Humm. Thanks.
Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by IamE: 2:44pm On Apr 18, 2022
Here is my free tip.
Whenever you get a mail from a proposed recruiter. Always run a check on the domain. If the domain is new, the chances of it being scam is high.
https://whois.domaintools.com/
Just input the domain.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Apr 18, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Don't let your accent deter you although I'm going to be honest that it could. I work in a Customer facing tech role for a US company and get to speak with Americans daily. I was chosen to take that role because the other European and South American colleagues had a "difficult" accent. It's not easy though as some of those Yankee people start thinking of you as a dumbo when they hear an accent. Some say they want to speak with an American straight up. In those cases, I escalate to my American colleagues and give them the back story so they know where to start.

It can also go the other way. You will think you understand American accent until you hear real life Southern US drawl. I swear you no go hear jack. I didn't know when I said "ehn" one time to a client because the accent senior me by far grin

But there has been some wins sha. I spoke with an American new mum. Her baby was all over her on the background and she was apologising furiously. Told her to put the kid on video and I was making faces for her until she started laughing uncontrollably. I was eventually able to fix the mother's issue. Would you believe she went to my boss to say she just had a wonderful treatment from me and that she would like me to be permanently assigned to her for subsequent engagements. I shock

I appreciate your interpersonal skills, empathy and emotional intelligence. Besides technical abilities, soft skills are very essential. No doubt your employers will value you immensely.

Your ability to conquer the bolded immediately reverses their thinking and they in-turn respect you. Working with customers is a difficult job but it can also be a satisfying job if you have the wherewithal to handle it.

4 Likes

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Apr 18, 2022
chuksdsilent:
There are so many online fake companies out there

That want to defraud people in one way or the other

my question is how can one identify these fake company

What should one consider when taking up remote job?

You are correct many fraudulent online companies.

It's not so difficult to detect.

You need to carry out due diligence. Check their profile and reviews.

There are Platforms that are well known for remote jobs, use them.

The major issue sometime is the desperation which we seek jobs ourselves and send our CV for every job opening. I advice job seekers to target their "blows". I believe that for every qualified 5 job applications you make, you should get a response from 1. I don't believe in bombarding your CV for every opening.

Have a LinkedIn profile, be active in your space and contribute to forums/groups.

Considerations is if the work hours is suitable for you and if you're cool with the remuneration.

2 Likes

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by CountVersailles(f): 3:16pm On Apr 18, 2022
genkins:

As educated as you sound, you still believe that in 2022 you have to give your God money as Honour or for him to bless you. Lemme ask you, is he not the God of money(mammon) you are bribing or is he just a hungry god? Lmao

The reason why to went to school is to have the ability to understand things as simple as they are. According to the Bible, paying tithe was never money, was never paid monthly, was given to the levites who in turn remit 10% to the priest(ur Nigerian fraud pastors are neither of such),it was paid under the law(they ran a theocracy), No one paid it like Abraham did to melchizedek.. Ur pastor is no melchizedek etc.. Lecturer wey no sabi
Good luck pouring water into a basket lol

1 Like

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by Mytechworld: 3:21pm On Apr 18, 2022
[quote author=airsaylongcome post=112057605]

But there has been some wins sha. I spoke with an American new mum. Her baby was all over her on the background and she was apologising furiously. Told her to put the kid on video and I was making faces for her until she started laughing uncontrollably. I was eventually able to fix the mother's issue. Would you believe she went to my boss to say she just had a wonderful treatment from me and that she would like me to be permanently assigned to her for subsequent engagements. I shock. Is there any link special to get a remote job in USA or UK. Or is there any thing like agent?
Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by SmartPolician: 3:40pm On Apr 18, 2022
There are two types of remote job.
The type you work for a company within your country and the type you do for a foreign company. The second category is the most competitive and most difficult one to land.

3 Likes

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by Yxxx: 4:03pm On Apr 18, 2022
I don't mind starting with a good Nigerian company.
I need a remote job .
*Professional Sales experience
*Customer relation
*Data analysis.
Those are my skills.
I'm ready ASAP
Thank you.
Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by agatha222: 4:16pm On Apr 18, 2022
There are both financial and health risks attached to remote work. In the past, I got scammed to someone who claimed to be an American. The scammer gave me articles to write for 30 days and disappeared without the expected payment in USD. I was totally deflated, but life goes on. If you're taking remote job and payment is based on salary, try to check the company website and make inquiries from real persons working for them. If not available online, especially on Linkedin and other social media platforms, please let the job fly.

1 Like

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by appliedscience(m): 4:22pm On Apr 18, 2022
CokeBar:
Read reviews on Trustpilot and/or Glassdoor

In Nigeria what you should really consider when you land a genuine remote job:

Power: I'd advice you get yourself an inverter

Data/Network: You cannot be a remote worker and be turning off data at night o cheesy you need surplus data and great Internet connection... I have a major wired connection and 3 backups

Exercise: yes, you need to make working out your very good friend... with remote jobs, you get to sit in a position for quite a long time... health wise, that isn't good. So run or job 20-30 minutes daily.

Friends: You need to keep/maintain your friends because it can get really really lonely �

Most remote jobs pay in USD, if that's not the case, resign grin
Pls can someone into production job get a remote job? Say a production supervisor or something in that regard
Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by ejihand(m): 4:34pm On Apr 18, 2022
Your Health is important

1 Like

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by Searchingvictor: 4:34pm On Apr 18, 2022
ejihand:
Got a remote job with a company in new york, US, about 9 days. It has been so stressful. Currently, my normal circadian sleeping time has been affected. For the past 4 days, it has not being easy on me. Please your Health is more important than job

morning. Happy Esther.

Please can you help me with small cash to use this week. I kinda low broke presently. Please
Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by Clefayomide: 4:50pm On Apr 18, 2022
chuksdsilent:
There are so many online fake companies out there

That want to defraud people in one way or the other

my question is how can one identify these fake company

What should one consider when taking up remote job?

As someone who has had encounter on two occasions with some of these fake companies (in my case tech companies), I'd advice you to
1. Look up the company's profile on LinkedIn, a serious and genius company would definitely have a LinkedIn profile

2. Speak with one or two staffs of the company if you are able to find them on LinkedIn. Ask them about the company, work ethics, the role you're applying to. During your interview, ask the interviewer questions about your role, why is it vacant, ask about the previous staff at your role.

3. Watch out for red flags, this red flags can come in any form, I.e WhatsApp interviews, not giving you enough time to go through your contract before getting back to them (they be like "you only have 2days to get back to us, we have other applicants who wants the job)

4. I don't know what sector you're into, but if it's tech, watch out for the type of test you're given as assessment. Some of these tech companies will only make you do the test, serve you rejection mail and go ahead to use your code in production.

5. Try to be familiar with the law guarding remote work in the said country

6. Lastly, always read your contract agreement thoroughly, give to your lawyer to go through it if possible. The big red flags are always hidden in the contract agreement, why? Because these companies know most people don't like to read these documents from start to finish, so that's where they get you played

5 Likes

Re: What Should One Consider When Taking Up A Remote Job? by BigBashiru: 5:02pm On Apr 18, 2022
Lindner:

What's the best way to find a remote Jon that complements a full time job and isn't fiverr freelancer etc

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Post Jobs For Free Here. No Registration Or Sign Up Required. / Lagos State Neighbourhood Corp Job Salary / Has Anyone Applied For Rural Youth Skills Acquisition (RYSA) Program?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.