Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,889 members, 7,817,614 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:35 PM

The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? (23517 Views)

Glamour Girls: Review And Ratings / Chief Daddy 2 (Going For Broke)- Reviews And Ratings? / Living In Bondage: Breaking Free Reviews And Ratings? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by safarigirl(f): 11:45pm On Apr 16, 2022
It's a double review night for me

Netflix released their somewhat anticipated Nigerian production, Man of God, welcoming the Easter season I suppose, and here is my take on the movie

Title: The Man of God

Cast
Akah Nnani
Osas Ighodaro
Atlanta Bridget Johnson
Mawuli Gavor
Dorcas Shola Fapson
Prince Nelson Enwerem
Olumide Oworu
Shawn Faqua
Eucharia Anunobi
Jude Chukwuka
Patrick Doyle

Director; Bolanle Austen-Peters.

Plot:
The son of a pastor grows up to resent the church, he rebels against his family, then tries to find his way back to the church...but then, old habits die hard.

Review

Well, this movie is a proper example of "The trailer fooled ya, didn't it?"

I know we don't have a lot of examples of that in the Nigerian movie industry, where there is a running joke that you can tell what happens from the trailer, so, let me just let you know now, you cannot tell what happens from the trailer. You have to watch it.

The story introduces us to Samuel (Nnani), the son of a firebrand preacher, who is quite handy with a whip. Samuel resents his father so much that the moment he leaves home, he decides never to return, no matter how many letters his heartbroken mother writes to him. Samuel is living it up, performing as 'Abami' (I imagine a Fela character). He's the quintessential bad boy from a good home who has strayed from God, but then he meets good gyal, Joy (Johnson), and he wants to be good for Joy, but then, his rebellious side is not what Christian sister Joy needs in her life, and Pastor BJ (Enwerem) of the Campus church, points that out to her and shows her to her real husband. Bad Boy Samuel spirals, but Tej (Ighodaro) his childhood friend who introduced him to Joy, is there to catch him and be his rebound gyal.

In fact, this story is a whole rollercoaster and you have to hold on tight, or risk being thrown out the cart. A whirlwind of events happen, but the one thing we do establish, is that Samuel is troubled, and you cannot save someone if they do not want to be saved.

Casting was good, although I don't think the script was really challenging enough for any of the actors. There were no emotional highs, no heart-wrenching scenes or anything that would require an actor to dig deep. It was quite pedestrian to be honest.

There were musical performances in this movie, I imagine Nani and Shola-Fapson did sing some of these tracks themselves, but with Nani, I'm not so sure. Aside these songs, the music wasn't really catchy.

I think the concept of the story was quite good, but the sequence of events were a bit hasty. It felt like being presented with a large buffet you had to finish in ten minutes. We didn't get to really savour the story. There were scenes that should have been heavier, but something was just missing, an extra punch to the gut you might say, and I'm unsure if this could be blamed on the scriptwriting or the delivery.

There were so many paths this story had that were poorly explored. We were teased with the possibility of an extra-marital affair between Samuel and Joy, after they reunite, but that is deflated before it can even rise. Rekya's(Fapson) return to Samuel's life is only for the purpose of ruining him, but it all happens in a flash. Why is Samuel so unhappy he is willing to run away from the wife who stood by him despite his scandals? Why did it not occur to him that she could turn on him, even when she promised him that? Why didn't he try to make nice with her? Na so prison dey seduce the guy?

So many multiple choice questions, and we barely got the complete answers. Someone suggested it should have been a series, to allow for a deeper exploration of these intricate relationships, and I can't help but concur. Some of the relationships could have made for some juicy scandals, which is always a good recipe for a series.

This was not a story of someone going astray and finding God, this was a story of someone going astray, finding himself in the church, and then walking further into sin.

A few people have called it a Christian movie, but I wouldn't categorise it as such. Yes, there is a lot of church activity, but there is barely a depiction of Christ-like behaviour. I think the hypocrisy and blatant imperfection that permeates the church is what is most explored here, not quite a relationship with God. We do not really see a reformed individual in Samuel (Nnani) as the story progresses, rather, we see someone who hides his shortcomings in a preacher's cloak.

In fact, if there is one thing that remains consistent in the movie, it is how flawed the people who grace the pulpit really are. From Samuel's abusive father, to the manipulative Pastor BJ, the tithe-seeking, vile, Mummy GO (Anunobi) of a church Samuel serves as music director, to Samuel, who starts his own church, not because he was really called by God, but because "church business is big business". So, if the aim of the story is to show us the hypocrisy of church leaders, then, sure, we could call it a Christian movie in that aspect. But the fact that we never really get to see any of these flawed MoGs experience a character change, is what is quite damning.

Overall, this movie is a decent watch on a lazy day.

Overall Rating: 6/10

The movie is currently streaming on Netflix, what's your take on it?

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by Reussite: 8:11pm On Apr 20, 2022
Yea I watched it yesterday & I felt the movie was rushed. It's a pretty dope concept that should have given more colour to some scenes.
As you rightly stated, I was expecting him to plead with the wife not to expose his tracks & also try scheming his way out on the side like probably been caught at the airport trying to escape. I was also expecting an extra marital affair with the Joy lady to further cement the fake status of some modern pastors. I also felt his relationship with Joy was too instant(some baby steps from friendship to relationship scenes would have made it more realistic).

Instead of a return to his dad's church in the end(which was too instant after the arrest scene), the dad visiting him in prison to pray for him or an encounter in the prison would have sufficed.
I can't even remember all the scenes I wanted more engagement in.
1hr 51mins was just not enough.
A 6.5/10 for me.

28 Likes

Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by slawormiir: 8:13pm On Apr 20, 2022
Damnnn niggar

Another overrated dumb fucckkk movie

Recycling same old crap story

Na Only nollywoood them dey remember for inside remembrance

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by PlayerMeji: 8:13pm On Apr 20, 2022
Ok
Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by Aingel: 8:13pm On Apr 20, 2022
Will see the movie when I get the chance

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by arthurwillia(m): 8:13pm On Apr 20, 2022
Comot body joor
Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by shadrach77: 8:15pm On Apr 20, 2022
It's pure trash! The story started well but along the line it started becoming unrealistic.

A guy started a church and within a short space of time his church had become mega big and he was rolling in money. How nah? Na so e easy?

Then why will a very successful guy think of relocating to Canada and leaving a very supportive wife behind?

Why did Joy suddenly cut off her relationship with Samuel to marry someone else? How was Samuel released from prison? When his wife threatened to bring him down why didn't he beg? So many unanswered questions.

The screenplay (on screen story arrangement) was really poor.

Thr story no gel. Good actors though. Excellent costume. Good locations. Directing was fair.

I'll give it 5/10

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:15pm On Apr 20, 2022
We cannot wait for this interesting movie

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by SensualMan: 8:16pm On Apr 20, 2022
Adeboye, Oyedepo, Oyakhilome, Suleiman! Dunamis all con artistes.

7 Likes

Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by Triangles1(m): 8:16pm On Apr 20, 2022
To get the best of Nollywood the Government must support them to avoid piracy.
Kudos to them.

2 Likes

Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by Ademola47(m): 8:16pm On Apr 20, 2022
Most likely an over hyped movie...
Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by Oblongata: 8:17pm On Apr 20, 2022
Your review is wholesome! Thank you… Go girl…

1 Like

Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by FuckHomophobes: 8:17pm On Apr 20, 2022
It's 8/10 for me

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by pweshboi(m): 8:19pm On Apr 20, 2022
It's a 7/10 for me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by oracle009(m): 8:23pm On Apr 20, 2022
Pros: Nice cinematography. Nice publicity.

Cons: It was a waste of my 1hour+. The movie lack intrigue, whole storyline was rushed through. Hence, the screen play had alot of superficial acts.

A waste of nice "cinematography", as the plots were shallow and mostly skipped. The storyline was not carefully progressed. Hence, there was no climax!

Personal ratings: 4/10 (4 for the cinematography)

5 Likes

Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by emkz: 8:23pm On Apr 20, 2022
Too untidy.

The same thing that happened with Chief Daddy happened here. Too many stars, but not a consistent and convincing storyline.

Was what the father did so wicked that Samuel had to leave the house? What was done to Samuel that was not done to us? Which mother and father would leave their child alone for many years without checking on them or sending garri? And the issue of letters. Who writes letters these days? Too many lapses and gaps.

Acting was not so convincing, especially Akah Nani's acting. He goofed when he hugged his brother and got arrogantly angry. He also goofed when he was telling his wife that he was called three times. Overall, I think he was not smooth and sleek for that role.

Then when Police called him to tell him his girlfriend was dead and asked him if he was linked to her...where does Police call anyone in Nigeria? They go come your house.

The person who gave the best acting was Osas Ighodaro. I feel Samuel's parents did not get enough acting time, as Eucharia Anunobi and Patrick Doyle didn't as well.

7 Likes

Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by LordsBattleAxe(m): 8:24pm On Apr 20, 2022
It could have been a blockbuster.. They messed with a very good story, a story millions of folks can relate with

2 Likes

Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by muzeze77: 8:27pm On Apr 20, 2022
Disappointed , very disappointed. I listened to the interview that the director Bolanle gave, what she said in the interview is different from the movie. I expected to see the corruption, fake miracles and hypocrisies plaguing the business of religion in Nigeria , I expected to see a movie about the "men of god " hiding their wealth overseas and promising their members miracles and heaven when they give 10 percent of their income, but instead the so-called "Man of God" turned into the same old Nigeria movie theme about love, the only scene I enjoined was the one with the assistant female mummy GO. I give it a 5/10
Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by Passionate888: 8:29pm On Apr 20, 2022
undecided
Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by Nobody: 8:31pm On Apr 20, 2022
As long as it's Nigerian film I can never watch it no matter the hype, same as their skits

3 Likes

Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by tosomaju(m): 8:31pm On Apr 20, 2022
Just there.

Time and era were not stated properly.

No attention to detail. Production was probably rushed.

2 Likes

Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by l69l: 8:32pm On Apr 20, 2022
what is Nollywood don't watch shit
Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by Cheatnotagain: 8:33pm On Apr 20, 2022
Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by money121(m): 8:34pm On Apr 20, 2022
Ok
Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by donofdons: 8:34pm On Apr 20, 2022
This is a movie by vile heathens who are interested in nothing but mocking the church. They portrayed Christianity in a very negative light and I can say that whoever directed this movies his sinned against the Holy Spirit and it is like he has crucified christ afresh.
Godless and illuminati controlled Netflix is out to humiliate Christian, christ and God, and should not be allowed to make any Christian movie. Can anyone make a movie about Muslims or mohammed and portray them this way?

5 Likes

Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by flexyrule(m): 8:36pm On Apr 20, 2022
As far as it is nollywood... Don't waste your time!
Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by phemmyfour: 8:36pm On Apr 20, 2022
Terrible movie 2/10
Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by Lifewasgood: 8:37pm On Apr 20, 2022
Antimarraige:
As long as it's Nigerian film I can never watch it no matter the hype, same as their skits

Netflix Nigeria movies and Africa Magic are two different worlds

2 Likes

Re: The Man Of God: Reviews and Ratings? by Victerica(m): 8:37pm On Apr 20, 2022
I don't know what I believe in, anymore!

Life can be confusing!

Is God really in charge of our lives' affairs?

Which way, is the right way to know and worship God?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photos Of Celebrities At 'The Bling Lagosians' Premiere / Bbnaija All-stars: Dino Melaye Seeks Support For Ilebaye Ahead Grand Finale(pics / 'Big Brother Naija Past Questions' Booklets Now Being Sold In Traffic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.