Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,138 members, 7,811,198 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:21 AM

Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? (1181 Views)

Why Do Nigerian Parents See Pidgin English As "Bad English"? / I Hate My Life, I'll Make Sure My Father Suffers At Old Age. / Do You Consider Marriage & Children As Achievements? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by Gracepikin33333(m): 7:47pm On Apr 17, 2022
Good evening nairalanders, there's a question i have been asking myself for a while now and couldn't find an answer to that.

In countries like USA, Canada, UK etc, you see 70 years old men and women still going about with their work, business or trade and sometimes when you ask them, it's either they tell you that they haven't save much for retirement or they say they aren't thinking of retiring until they reach like 90 years but here in African countries, the reverse is the case. Why do you think African parents see their children as a source of livelihood during old age?

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by annayawchee: 7:48pm On Apr 17, 2022
It is what is is

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by Malory: 7:49pm On Apr 17, 2022
Gracepikin33333:
Good evening nairalanders, there's a question i have been asking myself for a while now and couldn't find an answer to that.

In countries like USA, Canada, UK etc, you see 70 years old men and women still going about with their work, business or trade and sometimes when you ask them, it's either they tell you that they haven't save much for retirement or they say they aren't thinking of retiring until they reach like 90 years but here in African countries, the reverse is the case. Why do you think African parents see their children as a source of livelihood during old age?

One day you too will grow old and will be asking this question too

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by Gracepikin33333(m): 7:49pm On Apr 17, 2022
And won't do what?
Malory:
One day you too will grow old and won't
Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by Ahmed0336(m): 7:51pm On Apr 17, 2022
Naso we too see am o.

But I think it's different with folks from rich background.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by Gracepikin33333(m): 7:51pm On Apr 17, 2022
Do you know the numbers of children that have been led astray all in the name of pleasing their parents?
Malory:
One day you too will grow old and will be asking this question too

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by Gracepikin33333(m): 7:55pm On Apr 17, 2022
You are right. It's only common within people from the middle class downward
Ahmed0336:
Naso we too see am o.

But I think it's different with folks from rich background.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by yuping(m): 7:57pm On Apr 17, 2022
Gracepikin33333:

lipsrsealed Time will let you know
Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by maiquel: 7:58pm On Apr 17, 2022
Gracepikin33333:
Do you know the numbers of children that have been led astray all in the name of pleasing their parents?

Who said you should please your parents?
Just take care of them.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by Boogyman557: 8:02pm On Apr 17, 2022
Holly Gram cool

MOSTLY

people from poor background..

people from middle class...

Rich dnt give A FUVK!

LITE UP my WEED in peace

WTF MAN!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by Gracepikin33333(m): 8:07pm On Apr 17, 2022
Well, some parents are very demanding. You must always keys to their demand even at your own detriment if you don't want to hear the story of your life.
maiquel:

Who said you should please your parents?
Just take care of them.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by yemmit90: 8:35pm On Apr 17, 2022
In Africa where government dont take care of old people, children are the best investment anyone can ever invest in. Good children take care of their parents at old age.

Even if you have trillions of investments and properties, you still need sensible or well brought up children to manage them when you are old or die.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by Samson1234567: 8:48pm On Apr 17, 2022
Gracepikin33333:

It's actually happens across the globe not only in Africa op.
But to me I think it's majorly cause of the ill strictured African (and other countinent) governments where the old does not enjoy little or no benefits at all.

So when people of lower class gets old, whereby there's no retirement savings of no kind anywhere....they gats to depend on their offsprings as a means of livelihood.
That's what birthed the yoruba adage that says " TI OKETE BA DAGBA,OMU OMORE NI MU"
Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by Gracepikin33333(m): 8:49pm On Apr 17, 2022
What of those that didn't invest in their children?
yemmit90:
In Africa where government dont take care of old people, children are the best investment anyone can ever invest in. Good children take care of their parents at old age.

Even if you have trillions of investments and properties, you still need sensible or well brought up children to manage them when you are old or die.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by Gracepikin33333(m): 8:50pm On Apr 17, 2022
Point Noted sir.
Samson1234567:

It's actually happens across the globe not only in Africa op.
But to me I think it's majorly cause of the ill strictured African (and other countinent) governments where the old does not enjoy little or no benefits at all.

So when people of lower class gets old, whereby there's no retirement savings of no kind anywhere....they gats to depend on their offsprings as a means of livelihood.
That's what birthed the yoruba adage that says " TI OKETE BA DAGBA,OMU OMORE NI MU"
Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by yemmit90: 9:14pm On Apr 17, 2022
Gracepikin33333:
What of those that didn't invest in their children?

They will surely reap what they sow. This is not about money, old people need affection of their children even if they dont give them anything. I've seen countless of them, you will think their wealthy children are wicked until you hear their stories.

No one can take care of you like your children when you are sick at old age.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by pocohantas(f): 9:23pm On Apr 17, 2022
So who for be their retirement plan? While it is good for them to plan for their retirement, you would agree with me that some of our parents just got by and if you even reason the matter, one would wonder how they were able to train us through the university.

All the money you are using to buy Hero and peppered kpomo, dedicate it to them every month. They don’t even ask for much.

See your mouth like America.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by Gracepikin33333(m): 9:29pm On Apr 17, 2022
I understand your point sir but i was actually talking about the monetary aspect sir.
yemmit90:

They will surely reap what they sow. This is not about money, old people need affection of their children even if they dont give them anything. I've seen countless of them, you will think their wealthy children are wicked until you hear their stories.

No one can take care of you like your children when you are sick at old age.
Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by Gracepikin33333(m): 9:37pm On Apr 17, 2022
It's normal for children to take care of their parents but they shouldn't depend on them too much not even in this kind of country. Parents should have a good retirement plan for themselves and not put all their responsibilities on the children. Children have their own life to live. They have their own immediate family to fend for and don't forget that siblings are there too.
pocohantas:
Another well paying VA and data entry niche is VAs for e-commerce sites. Shopify, Ebay, Amazon…etc. They pay them very well!

So who for be their retirement plan? While it is good for them to plan for their retirement, you would agree with me that some of our parents just got by and if you even reason the matter, one would wonder how they were able to train us through the university.

All the money you are using to buy Hero and peppered kpomo, dedicate it to them every month. They don’t even ask for much.

See your mouth like America.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by pocohantas(f): 9:50pm On Apr 17, 2022
Gracepikin33333:
It's normal for children to take care of their parents but they shouldn't depend on them too much not even in this kind of country. Parents should have a good retirement plan for themselves and not put all their responsibilities on the children. Children have their own life to live. They have their own immediate family to fend for and don't forget that siblings are there too.

It doesn’t kill you to extend something to them when you have. I am sure reasonable parents would understand if you can’t give. Some would be okay with you checking on them. The major problem I have with Nigerians is having too many kids. An average family shouldn’t have more than 2 kids if you ask me.

That said, I respect parents that built houses way back o. I don’t even envy people that have to pay rent for their parents in town to be doing nothing. I really wish them strength.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by Gracepikin33333(m): 10:14pm On Apr 17, 2022
Yes, it doesn't kill to extend something to them when you have even without them asking for it but the day they demand for something and you weren't able to provide it is the day all the good deeds you have done in the past would mean nothing to them.

My sister, family planning is another big issue that needs to be address by the society. You won't believe that some are still giving birth to more than 2 children even with meagre monthly income in Nigeria of today.
pocohantas:

It doesn’t kill you to extend something to them when you have. I am sure reasonable parents would understand if you can’t give. Some would be okay with you checking on them. The major problem I have with Nigerians is having too many kids. An average family shouldn’t have more than 2 kids if you ask me.

That said, I respect parents that built houses way back o. I don’t even envy people that have to pay rent for their parents in town to be doing nothing. I really wish them strength.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by Nerogaming01(m): 10:49pm On Apr 17, 2022
You're likely the only (closest) friend they have left..
Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by KanwuliaExtra: 12:14am On Apr 18, 2022
Because they are old fashioned and naive.
They forget times have changed.
They are in for a real shocker! grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by BUSINESSMAN2: 12:24pm On Apr 18, 2022
Gracepikin33333:
the same way may parants have sacrifice their pleasure to bring u up

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by Richy4(m): 3:47pm On Apr 18, 2022

I don't know how many times I have written this but let me try again...

The America u mentioned got a working system...
Those 70 years old men and women you saw have kids who trained themselves..

Immediately they were about to be 18 and wants to go to the university, they apply for student loan... If granted, they will use the loan to pay for their tuition fees... When they graduate, and gets a job, they will be paying for that student loan by instalment until it's done..

Their parents on the other hand will be saving their money for retirement plan.. so that they will not depend on their children when they were at the nursing home..

Now, in Nigeria, there are no student loan or grant... The parent will use the money they would have saved for their retirement to train U... By the time u are done, a lot have gone from their account...
By the time u said Jack, their retirement is here.. don't u think u as a child deserves to help them after that?

Remember, every parent owe their children basic education ie from primary School to secondary... Will it be selfish on their part to save their money for retirement while u as their kid that wanted to further your education can't do so because of lack of sponsorship?... Will it be fantastic if they just keep their money for retirement so that they won't bother you in future... While u struggle to find sponsorship....

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by socialmediaman: 5:31pm On Apr 18, 2022
They had more kids they could cater for due to traditions, so they spent their life savings training these kids in school. Plus, a lot of them can't survive on their salaries anymore due to the high unchecked inflation.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by Denique(f): 6:20pm On Apr 18, 2022
The same way they were our means of livelihood in our development phase.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by Truvelisback(m): 6:28pm On Apr 18, 2022
Gracepikin33333:

Stop asking childish questions. U won't stay young forever. Life there and here aren't the same.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by Acidosis(m): 9:06pm On Apr 18, 2022
Overflogged topic but the answer in one word is 'POVERTY'.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by Said1982: 9:37pm On Apr 18, 2022
Children are parents walking sticks when the agility is no more and for this reason parents are oblarge to give them the best foundation.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by CountVersailles(f): 10:33pm On Apr 18, 2022
Gracepikin33333:

Oga, different cultures, different behaviour. That they do it in the abroad does not mean we should do it. Many Africans can actually take care of their parents and themselves without any issues. And some parents are also not leeches. They know when and not when to ask. Go and look around in the animal kingdom where we all come from as humans. Some children of these animals take care of the parents in old age.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents See Their Children As A Source Of Livelihood During Old Age? by CountVersailles(f): 10:35pm On Apr 18, 2022
Richy4:

I don't know how many times I have written this but let me try again...

The America u mentioned got a working system...
Those 70 years old men and women you saw have kids who trained themselves..

Immediately they were about to be 18 and wants to go to the university, they apply for student loan... If granted, they will use the loan to pay for their tuition fees... When they graduate, and gets a job, they will be paying for that student loan by instalment until it's done..

Their parents on the other hand will be saving their money for retirement plan.. so that they will not depend on their children when they were at the nursing home..

Now, in Nigeria, there are no student loan or grant... The parent will use the money they would have saved for their retirement to train U... By the time u are done, a lot have gone from their account...
By the time u said Jack, their retirement is here.. don't u think u as a child deserves to help them after that?

Remember, every parent owe their children basic education ie from primary School to secondary... Will it be selfish on their part to save their money for retirement while u as their kid that wanted to further your education can't do so because of lack of sponsorship?... Will it be fantastic if they just keep their money for retirement so that they won't bother you in future... While u struggle to find sponsorship....
Well said. Sometimes I don't understand why some Africans think we must adopt everything from the oyinbo people. We take some, we leave some.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Would You Handle This As A Man? / If Your Spouse Suspect You,how Would You Like To Be Approached? / What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Boyfriend/husband To Be Is Bi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.