Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,068 members, 7,835,604 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:23 PM

Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? (2042 Views)

34-yr-old Mother Who Died During Childbirth Along With Baby Set For Final Burial / Lady Calls Her Mother Who Abandoned Her For 30 Years, Her Reaction Heartbreaking / Guy Shares Photos Of His Mother Who Looks More Like His Elder Sister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Elporo(m): 4:16pm On Apr 19, 2022
cococandy:
Wouldn’t it be best for the wife to go get her own house too since owning property is alien to married women. That way the man can exert all the authority he wants in HIS HOUSE and she can do likewise in HER HOUSE. I mean since it’s not THEIR HOUSE

This is an anomaly.

Why should a wife and mother start a power tussle for influence over a man's attention, money and support?

Nobody sees nothing wrong in this situation?
Nairalanders come from dysfunctional homes?

I love the right wing! cool
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Mindlog: 4:18pm On Apr 19, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Full right over her son? Is he a toddler or retarded? undecided

It is an uncomfortable reality that many adults around struggle with psychological separatedness (individuation) which is more prevalent with some sons and their mothers .
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Mariangeles(f): 4:24pm On Apr 19, 2022
ImaIma1:
Trick question.

Even the mother knows that the wife has more rights in the house that she does.

For some mothers, it takes time to come to terms with that. Especially with their first sons.
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Kobojunkie: 4:24pm On Apr 19, 2022
Mindlog:
It is an uncomfortable reality that many adults around struggle with psychological separatedness (individuation) which is more prevalent with some sons and their mothers .
Nigeria matter dey give headache! undecided
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Double0h7(f): 4:28pm On Apr 19, 2022
Nvm
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Tradegood: 4:41pm On Apr 19, 2022
Double0h7:

Only you know how you reached this conclusion
Lol, why would any wife think to build "her" own house? I know women build and own properties but I have never really seen a woman admitting that her husband's house is his house. It is so weird. Maybe the husband made her feel so?

It means the house your husband built is clearly only seen as his??

I ask because, my understanding is, when a man builds his house with his own money and he is married, both the man and wife see it as theirs.
The wife nor the husband does not go about thinking, "it is his house" but "our house" get?

So for you to be thinking of it as "his house" and with a future intention to owning "your house", man! The thing is confusing me.

So, even though you both are married, there is still a dichotomy to his things? I don't really get...

You don't really need to explain things to me, I am just trying to explain my state of mind when I read your post.

1 Like

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by emmanuelbrown26: 4:50pm On Apr 19, 2022
Mariangeles:

A na e meka gi e meka? So, what's the point? undecided
It is what it is, why is it thw daughters of eve hate to hear d raw truth
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by emmanuelbrown26: 4:51pm On Apr 19, 2022
Tradegood:

Red.piller demon, you can not destroy what GOD has planted, you can only try.
The institution of marriage shall wax stronger and stronger.
Men will love their wives in the home they both share.

You can't change it oga emmanuelbrown26 red.piller demon lover tongue
i dont know why daughters of eve hates to hear d raw truth
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Double0h7(f): 4:57pm On Apr 19, 2022
I'm confused by this thread... comments retracted grin
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Tradegood: 5:00pm On Apr 19, 2022
emmanuelbrown26:

i dont know why daughters of eve hates to hear d raw truth

Any one that refuses the red.piller ideology na daughter of Evegrin

TiffanyJ:

Last I check, the Holy book said, "For the man shall leave his mother and father and the woman shall leave her mother and father and they shall become one." No be me talk am o,na Bible talk am.

Oga emmanuelbrown26, possessed by the red.piller demon wants to prove by stronghead that he knows more about marriage than the GOD who created marriage and gave us the instruction for a successful union.

Get thee behind me you red demon piller grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Tradegood: 5:04pm On Apr 19, 2022
Double0h7:

Did you read that particular statement in it's context?
My point was I couldn't tell a man that his mother can't live with us especially when he spent his money to build that home. My Point was it's wrong to tell him his mother couldn't live with us in her old age if the need arise. I would need to go and build a house of my own to justify that kind of entitlement.

Okay, I think I get now. It was all written from an argumentative point of view.
Yeah, i understood the context with which you wrote it but it also seemed like it was very personal.

If you noticed, my reply to you was a question, I wasn't so sure of what I was reading so i had to ask.
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by ImaIma1(f): 5:20pm On Apr 19, 2022
Mariangeles:

For some mothers, it takes time to come to terms with that. Especially with their first sons.

Yeah. It might take a while for some. But any wise mum can't drag rights in her son's house. No one dragged rights with her in her own husband's house.

Some mums just find a way to attach themselves to their sons thereby creating problems for the wives. If they had their lives separate from their sons, life would be better.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Spherical77(m): 5:40pm On Apr 19, 2022
emmanuelbrown26:

i know that u daughters of eve will awlways vomit nonsence
your mother has full right in her own husband's house. Your house belongs to your dear wife so she has the full right

Your mother wouldn't even dare claim right in her son's house. She'd be enlightened if she does that

2 Likes

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by cococandy(f): 6:46pm On Apr 19, 2022
Elporo:

This is an anomaly.

Why should a wife and mother start a power tussle for influence over a man's attention, money and support?

Nobody sees nothing wrong in this situation?
Nairalanders come from dysfunctional homes?

I love the right wing! cool

What’s an anomaly is that two full grown adults decide to get married and build a home together yet somehow the woman is not regarded as a true partner in that home. It’s his house. Even though they built it together. And y’all are okay with such useless terminology. The man’s house. Under the man’s roof.
No wonder some women are hesitant to invest with their men.

It’s high time y’all stop.

3 Likes

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by emmanuelbrown26: 6:55pm On Apr 19, 2022
Tradegood:

Any one that refuses the red.piller ideology na daughter of Evegrin

Oga emmanuelbrown26, possessed by the red.piller demon wants to prove by stronghead that he knows more about marriage than the GOD who created marriage and gave us the instruction for a successful union.

Get thee behind me you red demon piller grin
O YES? BCS I DIDNT SAY WHAT U WANTED TO HEAR
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Tradegood: 7:24pm On Apr 19, 2022
emmanuelbrown26:

O YES? BCS I DIDNT SAY WHAT U WANTED TO HEAR

You cannot say what I want to hear.
It is beyond the capacity of a red demon piller.

How can a young, supposedly sane man like you not understand boundaries?

Even when it is glaring to you that your refusal to set boundaries is causing a huge fire on the Mountain? And you can see the fire o.

But your, "Soldier go, e go go, soldier come, e go come" mentality, an unchanging characteric
of the red demon piller, go watch until house burn down because, the word "wife" alone dey pinch you for body.
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by talk2hb1(m): 10:05pm On Apr 19, 2022
Kobojunkie:
No Matter how grown a child is, parent will always be parent
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Kobojunkie: 10:10pm On Apr 19, 2022
talk2hb1:

So, it is OK then for a wife's parent to police their daughter in her husband's house same way the husband's parents police him in his house? undecided

1 Like

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by talk2hb1(m): 10:17pm On Apr 19, 2022
Kobojunkie:
So, it is OK then for a wife's parent to police their daughter in her husband's house same way the husband's parents police him in his house? undecided
Who said That?
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Kobojunkie: 10:27pm On Apr 19, 2022
talk2hb1:

Who said That?
Did you not post the comment below earlier in response to my asking whether the grown man in question was still a toddler or an imbe-cile?
talk2hb1:

undecided

1 Like

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:37pm On Apr 19, 2022
Tradegood:

Lol, why would any wife think to build "her" own house? I know women build and own properties but I have never really seen a woman admitting that her husband's house is his house. It is so weird. Maybe the husband made her feel so?

It means the house your husband built is clearly only seen as his??

I ask because, my understanding is, when a man builds his house with his own money and he is married, both the man and wife see it as theirs.
The wife nor the husband does not go about thinking, "it is his house" but "our house" get?

So for you to be thinking of it as "his house" and with a future intention to owning "your house", man! The thing is confusing me.

So, even though you both are married, there is still a dichotomy to his things? I don't really get...

You don't really need to explain things to me, I am just trying to explain my state of mind when I read your post.

some when built their own house as reaction to things around them 1 culture were women end up loosing what they built together as hubby and wife (eg brother ls of the late husband taking over things as per tradition and culture)
2 hubby has lots of children with different women the moment he dies whatever wealth will be divided among the kids and their mothers
3 having property or wealth being passed on direct to blood related people aka inheritance through blood line

then finally both wife and hubby can pass on wealth and property to their children (bloodline) and their wife/husbands would be be entitled to such wealth and property but on their children

in simple terms ( son/daughter -in - laws shouldnt inherit any bloodline pass on wealth/property
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Tradegood: 11:01pm On Apr 19, 2022
ZIMDRILL:

some when built their own house as reaction to things around them 1 culture were women end up loosing what they built together as hubby and wife (eg brother ls of the late husband taking over things as per tradition and culture)
2 hubby has lots of children with different women the moment he dies whatever wealth will be divided among the kids and their mothers
3 having property or wealth being passed on direct to blood related people aka inheritance through blood line

then finally both wife and hubby can pass on wealth and property to their children (bloodline) and their wife/husbands would be be entitled to such wealth and property but on their children

in simple terms ( son/daughter -in - laws shouldnt inherit any bloodline pass on wealth/property

Oh wow, can you revise what you wrote, I think there may have been typos. I didn't really get the first parts?
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by rickleye: 1:18am On Apr 20, 2022
But explain to me ..
You left your parents home to build a life with your S.O. Isn't the home for both of you with equal authority. ? You may have the final authority but the hierarchy should be either of you and then a 3rd person.
How would you feel if your mother-in-law moves in with you and asserts some kind of authority over the home, you and your spouse built.

A wise parent in my book would never try to assert any form of authority in her children's home but rather make sure that her son is treating his wife with respect and love.
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by talk2hb1(m): 4:36am On Apr 20, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Did you not post the comment below earlier in response to my asking whether the grown man in question was still a toddler or an imbe-cile? undecided
Of course I did, so acknowledgement of one parents as a parent qualifies one to be an slowpoke or toddler?
Or am I missing where you are driving this to?
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Nobody: 10:15am On Apr 20, 2022
cococandy:

What’s an anomaly is that two full grown adults decide to get married and build a home together yet somehow the woman is not regarded as a true partner in that home. It’s his house. Even though they built it together. And y’all are okay with such useless terminology. The man’s house. Under the man’s roof.
No wonder some women are hesitant to invest with their men.

It’s high time y’all stop.

What if the man finances the whole project, is it still their house?
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Nobody: 10:19am On Apr 20, 2022
No one can exert authority over me but I am more sympathetic to my mother.

My mum loves me unconditionally, I can't say the same for a wife. There's always a special bond between mothers and their kids.

Even if I was dirt poor and hungry, I know one person on earth would have my back 100%, and that matters to me a lot.
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Kobojunkie: 12:38pm On Apr 20, 2022
talk2hb1:

Of course I did, so acknowledgement of one parents as a parent qualifies one to be an slowpoke or toddler?
Or am I missing where you are driving this to?
This all started with your claim that even in marriage, parents retain full rights over their children, particularly the son , to which I posted the response below ..
Kobojunkie:
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by talk2hb1(m): 1:26pm On Apr 20, 2022
Kobojunkie:
This all started with your claim that even in marriage, parents retain full rights over their children, particularly the son , to which I posted the response below ..
It's a case of misunderstanding, only a bad parents will want to dabble or control their child marital home. But they still have great and limited influence on the marital home.
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Kobojunkie: 1:58pm On Apr 20, 2022
talk2hb1:

It's a case of misunderstanding, only a bad parents will want to dabble or control their child marital home. But they still have great and limited influence on the marital home.
And is it also OK then that the wife's parents also have the same "great and limited" influence on her marital home as well?, undecided

1 Like

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by cococandy(f): 2:12pm On Apr 20, 2022
theForth:

What if the man finances the whole project, is it still their house?
umm yes

1 Like

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Nobody: 2:14pm On Apr 20, 2022
cococandy:
umm yes

You're joking. Na who get document get house
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Ishilove: 2:57pm On Apr 20, 2022
Mama should stay in her house to avoid controversy, and when she visits, she should not stay too long.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Protect Your Child From Sexual Abuse / 8 Photos Of Your Kids You Shouldn’t Post On Social Media And Why!!! / When she Have Pin Code To Block Her Phone?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.