Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,851 members, 7,813,892 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:49 PM

Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? (2009 Views)

34-yr-old Mother Who Died During Childbirth Along With Baby Set For Final Burial / Lady Calls Her Mother Who Abandoned Her For 30 Years, Her Reaction Heartbreaking / Guy Shares Photos Of His Mother Who Looks More Like His Elder Sister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by immortalcrown(m): 8:53pm On Apr 18, 2022
AN ALLEGED STATEMENT FROM A MAN:
“If you as my wife can’t stand my mother living with us, you can park and leave”

MY RESPONSE:
My wife is more entitled to my home. I, as a Christian, understand "One plus one is one" as a moral or spiritual calculation for husband and wife, not for son and mother.

I will do my best to get a good wife who can accommodate my mother in my (my wife's) home. Sending my wife out just because of my mother is wrong. My mother is more entitled to my father's home than to my home. My wife is more entitled to my home than to her father's home. If my wife refuses to accommodate my mother in my home, it is actually bad, but it is not enough to send my wife out. My wife doing it is not a big problem, as long as she is not against me taking care of my mother. I can rent or build a house for your mother in the city. I can get my mother a house help to stay with her in the village.

If my wife refuses to accept my mother as hers, it is my fault. It means I failed to make the right choice of a wife. I am the one who accepted the wife as she is. She did not force me to marry her. Also, what if my mother is unbearably unfair to my wife? Will I sacrifice my wife for my mother that has enjoyed her own husband for many decades? Even if my father was wicked to my mother, my wife was not the cause. So, I will not sacrifice my wife's happiness to compensate my mother for my father's wickedness.

As I really care about my parents, I will try to get a wife that will accept them as hers. Or, I will allow my parents to choose a wife for me. I will not marry a bad woman for one selfish reason, send her out after satisfying the selfishness, then claim I am making the sacrifice for my mother. The moment you marry, whether you are a man or a woman, your spouse should be your number one. That is how marriage is designed. When I am single, my mother is my number one woman. But the moment I get married, my wife becomes my number one woman and my mother becomes my number two woman.

4 Likes

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Kobojunkie: 9:03pm On Apr 18, 2022
immortalcrown:
AN ALLEGED STATEMENT FROM A MAN:
“If you as my wife can’t stand my mother living with us, you can park and leave”

MY RESPONSE:
My wife is more entitled to my home. I, as a Christian, understand "One plus one is one" as a moral or spiritual calculation for husband and wife, not for son and mother.
Try to dry leave God's mention out of this una kwekwe debates abeg this since there is no such thing as a "Christian" marriage. undecided

Marriage is defined as an contract/agreement between a man and a woman...the unit itself, the women by default having equal rights in the union as the man in it, unless where specified. No third-party having legal rights under law in a marriage. undecided

1 Like

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by illicit(m): 9:15pm On Apr 18, 2022
Ur mum has a right in her husband's house

4 Likes

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by DispatcherLagos: 9:18pm On Apr 18, 2022
She I first suck her breast on earth has the greater right over me anytime any day.

She can't disappoint me, she has never broke my heart, she has starved so I can feed, she fought someone that maltreated me.....she can take a bullet for her only son(me).

No one on earth can drag me with her

4 Likes

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Acidosis(m): 9:20pm On Apr 18, 2022
Even if my father was wicked to my mother, my wife was not the cause. So, I will not sacrifice my wife's happiness to compensate my mother for my father's wickedness.

Man! Give this man a doctorate degree already.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by bukiah: 10:00pm On Apr 18, 2022
Everyone has more authority in their husband's house

4 Likes

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Oluromantic: 10:08pm On Apr 18, 2022
In my own opinion, the one who's least concerned with authority owns me. I view things from the reverse. It's actually good if both of them really love each other. That's my case. My mom loves her so much that I even started getting jealous. I had to caution myself not to destroy the mother-daughter bond cus I'm d beneficiary.

However, not all men are so lucky. In cases where both of them are incompatible, I think the word of God should stand. The man and the wife are to be alone together and the mother on her own somewhere else to avoid authority clash.

1 Like

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by TiffanyJ(f): 10:19pm On Apr 18, 2022
DispatcherLagos:
She I first suck her breast on earth has the greater right over me anytime any day.

She can't disappoint me, she has never broke my heart, she has starved so I can feed, she fought someone that maltreated me.....she can take a bullet for her only son(me).

Please o oga, you are not ready for marriage so don't go and marry one innocent lady and make her be crying up and down.
Last I check, the Holy book said, "For the man shall leave his mother and father and the woman shall leave her mother and father and they shall become one." No be me talk am o,na Bible talk am.
No one can ever take the place of your mother in your life just as no one can take the place of your wife in your life. These are two important women who serve different important role in your life. Abi, you fit marry your mama?

3 Likes

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by DispatcherLagos: 10:27pm On Apr 18, 2022
TiffanyJ:

Please o oga, you are not ready for marriage so don't go and marry one innocent lady and make her be crying up and down.
Last I check, the Holy book said, "For the man shall leave his mother and father and the woman shall leave her mother and father and they shall become one." No be me talk am o,na Bible talk am.
No one can ever take the place of your mother in your life just as no one can take the place of your wife in your life. These are two important women who serve different important role in your life. Abi, you fit marry your mama?
If making my wife have greater right over me than my mother is your definition of "been ready for marriage" I don't ever want to be ready for it.

I still say and maintain it....my mama comes first in this life before anyone else (except maybe when the kids starts coming).
And yes... I'm my mom's second husband. I love her so much and can die for her if I have to.

3 Likes

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by bukiah: 10:36pm On Apr 18, 2022
The thread did not say over you. It says in your house
DispatcherLagos:

3 Likes

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by ImaIma1(f): 12:40am On Apr 19, 2022
Trick question.

Even the mother knows that the wife has more rights in the house that she does.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Double0h7(f): 1:44am On Apr 19, 2022
Never comment before reading thread sad

Modified. Op this is your point of view and you're entitled to it. If you put your wife above your mother that's your choice. Those who opt to put their mothers before their wives are not wrong for their choices either.

I would prioritise my parents before my husband and my husband prioritises his parents over me. Some people are just loyal to their roots. I could never tell my husband that his mother couldn't live with us if she needed to. He would never turn away my parents if they needed us. If I had been with a man who would refuse me to look after my mother in our home then I would leave that relationship because I am loyal to my parents first.

Partners come and go... blood is forever. My parents and my kids before my partner and that's just my reality. My husband feels the same way and I don't resent him for it.

1 Like

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Mindlog: 2:25am On Apr 19, 2022
Why should a woman have more authority in her son's home, doesn't she have her own husband?

Most women who want to have the final say in their children' marriage, never had a healthy marriage themselves.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by yuping(m): 6:27am On Apr 19, 2022
undecided I will always say this get yourself a good in-law that all, why would a mother even want to be authoritative in his children home, it means the mother don't trust his kids decisions.
A true mother will come and visit and go back to his husbands house. Na beg you go beg my mom to even visit you, IYa Alaje no go leave him house and business come dey sit at home when him husband house unoccupied room full am. All this things self na poverty dey course am, if not everyone go dey where soft for am.

3 Likes

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by LadyRosa(f): 6:44am On Apr 19, 2022
Your wife has more rights,which means to a degree your mother's input will be needed sometimes.Again,as a man you don't share all your secrets with your wife,there are some that requires ONLY your mother's discretion.
Some MIL can be troublesome no doubts and husbands need to draw the lines in other to maintain sanity in the home.
But there a ways one can try deal with such women,again some mother In laws can be die hard Antagonists.

My grandma is one of such grin grin
But my mom at a point decided to fight back,by coming really close to her even when she doesn't approve.After a point she loosened up,as I speak she is now retired in my parents house as she prefers staying with my mom that the home of other in laws.
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by cococandy(f): 7:07am On Apr 19, 2022
Wouldn’t it be best for the wife to go get her own house too since owning property is alien to married women. That way the man can exert all the authority he wants in HIS HOUSE and she can do likewise in HER HOUSE. I mean since it’s not THEIR HOUSE

3 Likes

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by talk2hb1(m): 8:43am On Apr 19, 2022
illicit:
Ur mum has a right in her husband's house
She doesn't have right in the house, but she has full right over her son.
May we never be in a situation to choose between our wife and our mother.

1 Like

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Socratiz: 3:41pm On Apr 19, 2022
What does op mean by "authority" in the home? What authority does a mother have to assert? What about the wife? And even the husband? Without a clear definition of what op means it is difficult to give a definitive answer.

I am at a loss concerning the nature of authority anyone would like to enforce in a home. Is it t type of soup? Wake up time or light out time? Access to DStv remote or what?

If the MIL comes to help take care of the baby, it's for a short period so, ordinarily there should be no problems. If there is we'd have to examine how each of them contributed to the fracas.

Usually, problems arise between wife and MiL because of personality differences. It's not all the time that the MiL is the cause. Sometimes it's the wife herself. So sending away the MiL is not the solution to the tension in the family.
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Tradegood: 3:43pm On Apr 19, 2022
Oluromantic:
In my own opinion, the one who's least concerned with authority owns me. I view things from the reverse. It's actually good if both of them really love each other. That's my case. My mom loves her so much that I even started getting jealous. I had to caution myself not to destroy the mother-daughter bond cus I'm d beneficiary.

However, not all men are so lucky. In cases where both of them are incompatible, I think the word of God should stand. The man and the wife are to be alone together and the mother on her own somewhere else to avoid authority clash.

My compassion goes out to your wife and kids.
When they are hoping on your support and protection, na reverse mode you dey.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Tradegood: 3:45pm On Apr 19, 2022
TiffanyJ:

Redp.iller is a dem.on that despise women, they don't like it when you mention GOD.
Fe.minism is a dem.on that despise men, they don't like it when you mention GOD too.
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Tradegood: 3:49pm On Apr 19, 2022
DispatcherLagos:

If making my wife have greater right over me than my mother is your definition of "been ready for marriage" I don't ever want to be ready for it.

I still say and maintain it....my mama comes first in this life before anyone else (except maybe when the kids starts coming).
And yes... I'm my mom's second husband. I love her so much and can die for her if I have to.
You are not ready for marriage.

Are you wiser than GOD?
Does cleaving to your wife means you don't love your Mum?

So because your wife married you automatically means she does not love her Mom or dad?

Redpiller and their seeming upside down (non)sense.
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Tradegood: 3:52pm On Apr 19, 2022
Socratiz:

It's not all the time that the MiL is the cause. Sometimes it's the wife herself.
So sending away the MiL is not the solution to the tension in the family.

@bolded true. And sending away the wife would make more sense to a red.piller. Na una way.
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by emmanuelbrown26: 3:55pm On Apr 19, 2022
DispatcherLagos:

No one can will drag her with me nothing even in my next life, others are strangers in my life, while my mother is my mother and will always be my all and all

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Tradegood: 3:55pm On Apr 19, 2022
Double0h7:
My husband paid for our home so if his mum moves in then I have no say... when I build my own house then I can decide if his mother can't live there. He who pays the piper...

My husband made it clear from day one where he stands when it comes to his mother and because I'm a fool in I love I agreed to those terms grin

She's an amazing woman luckily and she's happy with her husband and may God keep them together kiss

You would build your own house?

You must feel like an outsider with your husband somehow, no?

1 Like

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by emmanuelbrown26: 3:57pm On Apr 19, 2022
TiffanyJ:

NOTHING FiT shock me for all these daughters of eve with their comments
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Tradegood: 3:58pm On Apr 19, 2022
yuping:
undecided I will always say this get yourself a good in-law that all, why would a mother even want to be authoritative in his children home, it means the mother don't trust his kids decisions.
A true mother will come and visit and go back to his husbands house. Na beg you go beg my mom to even visit you, IYa Alaje no go leave him house and business come dey sit at home when him husband house unoccupied room full am. All this things self na poverty dey course am, if not everyone go dey where soft for am.

DispatcherLagos can never, I repeat, ever, understand what you just wrote.

Re.dpiller and their anger and hate for the word, "wife" will not allow them think straight grin

1 Like

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by emmanuelbrown26: 3:59pm On Apr 19, 2022
ImaIma1:
Trick question.

Even the mother knows that the wife has more rights in the house that she does.
i know that u daughters of eve will awlways vomit nonsence
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Tradegood: 4:00pm On Apr 19, 2022
LadyRosa:

My grandma is one of such grin grin
But my mom at a point decided to fight back,by coming really close to her even when she doesn't approve.After a point she loosened up,as I speak she is now retired in my parents house as she prefers staying with my mom that the home of other in laws.

The world is in desperate need of your Mom's strategy.
You can create a thread and teach it step by step...in very detailed details grin
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Mariangeles(f): 4:01pm On Apr 19, 2022
emmanuelbrown26:

No one can will drag her with me nothing even in my next life, others are strangers in my life, while my mother is my mother and will always be my all and all

Burukwa n'obi na nne gi sokwa na ndi umu nwaanyi nke Eve. Okwa I ma?

Mothers are saints right? smiley
Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Mariangeles(f): 4:02pm On Apr 19, 2022
emmanuelbrown26:

A na e meka gi e meka? So, what's the point? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Kobojunkie: 4:04pm On Apr 19, 2022
talk2hb1:

She doesn't have right in the house, but she has full right over her son.
May we never be in a situation to choose between our wife and our mother.
Full right over her son? Is he a toddler or retarded? undecided

1 Like

Re: Between A Man's Wife And His Mother, Who Has More Authority In His House? by Tradegood: 4:07pm On Apr 19, 2022
emmanuelbrown26:

TiffanyJ:

Red.piller demon, you can not destroy what GOD has planted, you can only try.
The institution of marriage shall wax stronger and stronger.
Men will love their wives in the home they both share.

You can't change it oga emmanuelbrown26 red.piller demon lover tongue

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Am Not Attracted To My Wife. / Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? / Ladies, Does Yr Father Care Abt Yr Looks?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.