Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,973 members, 7,835,270 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:53 AM

Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? (1646 Views)

Hurting Truth Of Life You Will Regret Learning Late In Life (mind Opening) / Suggest A Hand-work I Won't Regret Learning / Demolition: Fresh FM Staff Weeps "How Will I Take Care Of My Family Now?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by Harrykn: 8:58am On Apr 20, 2022
Would you advice anybody to take Cisco Networking course in 2022!
What's your view on this IT skill?

Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by jesmond3945: 9:44am On Apr 20, 2022
You would always be writing the exam.

1 Like

Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by Harrykn: 2:35pm On Apr 20, 2022
jesmond3945:
You would always be writing the exam.
Only??
Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by Yohans(m): 6:52pm On Apr 20, 2022
No you won't regret it. zellfox and dfrost your advice is needed here.
Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by The5DME(m): 7:59pm On Apr 20, 2022
You're going to need some practical experience to compliment your theoritical knowledge. Getting a place to acquire the practical knowledge is the most difficult part.

3 Likes

Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:24am On Apr 21, 2022
In Nigeria you will kinda regret it. Not much available jobs for Cisco experts and it's not something that can be done remotely.

If you have interest in networking you can do the basic Cisco and look at cloud computing at least you can get remote roles or jobs in high growing startups in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by plat0: 8:57am On Apr 21, 2022
They are in demand in the UK. It's literally the fastest route to getting a job in IT over there.
Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by Hannania(m): 10:36am On Apr 21, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
In Nigeria you will kinda regret it. Not many available jobs for Cisco experts and it's not something that can be done remotely.

If you have an interest in networking you can do the basic Cisco and look at cloud computing at least you can get remote roles or jobs in high growth startups in Nigeria.
Tenza this is extreme. CCNA(from Cisco which cost $300, not the Academy exams), plus Python scripting and Basic Linux command line usage is a sure banker and hot cake. Though the pay for entry level Network engineers range from 150k to 220k, it's still a fair game. Companies like Ericsson page 350k for starters. Cisco sends you to Poland for 6 months and makes you to write CCIE after a year. You don't wanna know how much CISCO pays.

When I did my SIWES, I was paid 50k just because of my Extra skill in those. One thing about networking in Nigeria is, if you don't have a background in Engineering or Computer Science, getting the cert won't change much for you, because employers prefer candidates with those.

@OP, if your background in an ICT field, please hustle for an Academy where you'd get a 61% voucher, so you pay 40% of the $300.

You won't regret it. If you're serious about Networking, the moment you get to the CCIE level, your relocatiom via job offer is 100%.

It's not a game of trial and error, if you don't know how to configure, you're out. Even if you have the cert.

But if you love the field, please don't. There are openings.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:17am On Apr 21, 2022
Hannania:
Tenza this is extreme. CCNA(from Cisco which cost $300, not the Academy exams), plus Python scripting and Basic Linux command line usage is a sure banker and hot cake. Though the pay for entry level Network engineers range from 150k to 220k, it's still a fair game. Companies like Ericsson page 350k for starters. Cisco sends you to Poland for 6 months and makes you to write CCIE after a year. You don't wanna know how much CISCO pays.

When I did my SIWES, I was paid 50k just because of my Extra skill in those. One thing about networking in Nigeria is, if you don't have a background in Engineering or Computer Science, getting the cert won't change much for you, because employers prefer candidates with those.

@OP, if your background in an ICT field, please hustle for an Academy where you'd get a 61% voucher, so you pay 40% of the $300.

You won't regret it. If you're serious about Networking, the moment you get to the CCIE level, your relocatiom via job offer is 100%.

It's not a game of trial and error, if you don't know how to configure, you're out. Even if you have the cert.

I thought CISCO only hires seniors. Theres a whole lot I dont know about tech o. How easy is it to get an initial job once you get the cert.
Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by Hannania(m): 6:38pm On Apr 21, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

I thought CISCO only hires seniors. There's a whole lot I dont know about tech o. How easy is it to get an initial job once you get the cert?
They hire juniors yearly. A lady that I met on LinkedIn who got in 2020. She finished from covenant in 2019. She was meant to write CCIE last year, but Cisco pushed it to this year. Just to be straight, CCIE pay starts from 500k at the negotiation table, that's for those with CCIE and less than 3yrs of experience

There are senior engineers with CCIE making 2.5m per month. Considering it's not a dollar economy, that's a good pay.

It's a game of location. There are tons of openings for Juniors in Lagos and fairly Abuja. Most ISPs have 70% of revenue Generation in Lagos. Companies. Like ipNX, Spectranet, Huawei, medallion, RackCenter, MainOne, Smile, BluePrint, exonTelcoks and lots more.

The Networking field is a coded and silent one because it's mainly in big cities.

Banks pay handsomely also. But the skill of python and Linux is what's gonna make you an attractive candidate.
Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by Whatshallido: 5:02am On Apr 22, 2022
Hannania:

Bro i have a background in physics/Electronics.
And i want to switch to Information Technology (Network and security). Will i be considered, if i want to work in IT firm or ISPs?
Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by Whatshallido: 5:05am On Apr 22, 2022
Hannania:

They hire juniors yearly. A lady that I met on LinkedIn who got in 2020. She finished from covenant in 2019. She was meant to write CCIE last year, but Cisco pushed it to this year. Just to be straight, CCIE pay starts from 500k at the negotiation table, that's for those with CCIE and less than 3yrs of experience

There are senior engineers with CCIE making 2.5m per month. Considering it's not a dollar economy, that's a good pay.

It's a game of location. There are tons of openings for Juniors in Lagos and fairly Abuja. Most ISPs have 70% of revenue Generation in Lagos. Companies. Like ipNX, Spectranet, Huawei, medallion, RackCenter, MainOne, Smile, BluePrint, exonTelcoks and lots more.

The Networking field is a coded and silent one because it's mainly in big cities.

Banks pay handsomely also. But the skill of python and Linux is what's gonna
make you an attractive candidate.

And i want to switch to Information Technology (Network and security). Will i be considered, if i want to work in IT firm or ISPs?
Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by Hannania(m): 6:00am On Apr 22, 2022
Whatshallido:

Sure you can. But note, preference is given to engineering first, then Computer science
/Physics. There are persons without a tech background that have gone to make a good career out of it, but you should know you need to work 2x to prove it.

But your course is ok. Vendor requirements are one of the factors that make most firms to go after persons that would eventually get registered as engineers. Not even computer science folks have that leverage.

All this is subject to big and multinational firms that pay the big bucks. Smaller and indigenous firms would compromise because obviously, they don't wanna pay big.

If GLO is paying 180k to fresh intakes, you won't compare the requirements to Ericsson who pays 350k for a start minus allowances, or Dell, Cisco, Oracle and other MNCs
Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by Whatshallido: 12:24pm On Apr 22, 2022
Hannania:
Sure you can. But note, preference is given to engineering first, then Computer science
/Physics. There are persons without a tech background that have gone to make a good career out of it, but you should know you need to work 2x to prove it.

But your course is ok. Vendor requirements are one of the factors that make most firms to go after persons that would eventually get registered as engineers. Not even computer science folks have that leverage.

All this is subject to big and multinational firms that pay the big bucks. Smaller and indigenous firms would compromise because obviously, they don't wanna pay big.

If GLO is paying 180k to fresh intakes, you won't compare the requirements to Ericsson who pays 350k for a start minus allowances, or Dell, Cisco, Oracle and other MNCs
Thanks for your response

1 Like

Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by Baabu320: 10:45am On Apr 24, 2022
Kindly refer me to anyone that has Cisco voucher for CCNA I really need it for my CCNA exam.

Thanks
Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by Harrykn: 11:21am On Apr 24, 2022
Hannania:

Thank you for your input. I am an accounting undergrad( final year) but working as a device admin/tech. I loved the IT field practically and wanted to advance in it.
Will it be possible to further this training with an Accounting degree, I'm not sure of going for ICAN OR ANAN.
Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by Hannania(m): 11:34am On Apr 24, 2022
Harrykn:

Thank you for your input. I am an accounting undergrad( final year) but working as a device admin/tech. I loved the IT field practically and wanted to advance in it.
Will it is possible to further this training with an Accounting degree, I'm not sure about going for ICAN OR ANAN.
It's easier to break into Software Engineering or Cloud Computing with a none traditional ICT degree. You can get proficient as a developer and get jobs, or get certified in AWS, Azure and GCP then get employed as a cloud developer.

But for Networking, especially in Nigeria, preference is given to Elect/Telecom/computer/ and then other technical related fields like Physics, Mathematics, IT, Statistics.

It's possible on rare occasions though, but I'll advise the two above instead of Networking, considering your background.
Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by Harrykn: 11:46am On Apr 24, 2022
Hannania:
It's easier to break into Software Engineering or Cloud Computing with a none traditional ICT degree. You can get proficient as a developer and get jobs, or get certified in AWS, Azure and GCP then get employed as a cloud developer.

But for Networking, especially in Nigeria, preference is given to Elect/Telecom/computer/ and then other technical related fields like Physics, Mathematics, IT, Statistics.

It's possible on rare occasions though, but I'll advise the two above instead of Networking, considering your background.
I'll send a mail, I really want to start something worth the time and practice. I wanted to learn computer repairs since I have an all round phone tech skill and digital marketing. My brother said I'll be wasting my time, I should substitute computer repairs to cisco networking and I will be fine with it. Considering I have a business mentality I wanted to trade in phones, laptops, desktop, gadgets, etc.
That was why I choose to study accounting. Now ASUU has just finally proved to me that everything I'm doing in this school is useless and won't take me anywhere.
Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by aliyuthayo(m): 10:29am On Apr 25, 2022
Your only regret will be not learning or mentored by the right person(s). The certifications carries a lot of weight any where in the world, check my signature to learn more.
Harrykn:
Would you advice anybody to take Cisco Networking course in 2022!
What's your view on this IT skill?

Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by aliyuthayo(m): 10:32am On Apr 25, 2022
Your background does'nt matter, your certifications will only take you to the door, but your SKILLS will open the door! Best of Luck.
Harrykn:

Will it be possible to further this training with an Accounting degree, I'm not sure of going for ICAN OR ANAN.
Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by Sammysaga(m): 5:08pm On Sep 19, 2022
Hannania:

You see the reason why I love this site because of its first hand info.. Alright now, I don't have an IT background,in fact, I left school without a degree. I intend to learn networking and cybersecurity. I am trying to start with CCNP since I heard I don't compulsorily need CCNA for that. But I don't really know if that will qualify me for entry level jobs. What will you advise please
Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by Hannania(m): 7:01pm On Sep 19, 2022
Sammysaga:

You see the reason why I love this site because of its first hand info.. Alright now, I don't have an IT background,in fact, I left school without a degree. I intend to learn networking and cybersecurity. I am trying to start with CCNP since I heard I don't compulsorily need CCNA for that. But I don't really know if that will qualify me for entry level jobs. What will you advise please
Getting a CCNP puts you far ahead of the competition. Amazon has been punching away CCNP level engineers(with CCNP kind of experience in OSPF, BGP, etc) to Ireland lately. So yes, it's worth it.

Try taking enterprise or Security

1 Like

Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by Sammysaga(m): 7:12pm On Sep 19, 2022
Hannania:
Getting a CCNP puts you far ahead of the competition. Amazon has been punching away CCNP level engineers(with CCNP kind of experience in OSPF, BGP, etc) to Ireland lately. So yes, it's worth it.

Try taking enterprise or Security
Thanks a lot Boss,but remember I don't have an IT background. In fact, I dropped out of university. Would you still advise that?
Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by Sammysaga(m): 7:34pm On Sep 19, 2022
aliyuthayo:

Your background doesn't matter, what matter is getting the right expert to mentor you.
I was even trying to call you. I'll still do that
Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by Hannania(m): 10:26pm On Sep 19, 2022
Sammysaga:

Thanks a lot Boss,but remember I don't have an IT background. In fact, I dropped out of university. Would you still advise that?
You need at least a BSC. But have it at the back of your mind that an engineering dude will always be taken first.
But the industry is large bro
Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by Sammysaga(m): 11:00pm On Sep 19, 2022
Hannania:
So what would you advise mentor? Should I be going for cloud computing?
Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by Ukpai23: 4:47am On Mar 17, 2023
I did civil engineering I want to switch to IT is it advisable to do CCNP? Will I be able to get a job with it
Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by aliyuthayo(m): 6:59am On Mar 18, 2023
Ukpai23:
I did civil engineering I want to switch to IT is it advisable to do CCNP? Will I be able to get a job with it
Sure! Just make sure you learn the real CCNP Enterprise, it'll be challenging but achievable

Re: Will I Regret Learning Cisco Networking? by LaFontaine(m): 3:59pm On Sep 04, 2023
Hannania:

I had to login to drop a comment. Thank you very much for your insight. I'm an Elect/Elect Undergrad currently taking classes on Network Engineering and I wanted to know what the job landscape looked like. It was either that or Software Engineering and I needed to be sure that the landscape looked good in Nigeria. Are you active on Socials or anywhere one could connect and pick your brains?

(1) (Reply)

Emotional Intelligence Moments By A HR Professional / Productions Training: Learn On How To Be A Factory Owner Now. / An Intensive Training On Soap Making And Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.