Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,319 members, 7,811,946 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:40 AM

Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? (1982 Views)

Good PC Spec For Programming And Design: Your Advice / Minimum Computer Specs For Programming / Recommend A Laptop For Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by Willwinn(m): 12:51pm On Apr 20, 2022
Good afternoon everyone.
Please I would appreciate your idea on this topics. Thank

I'm a novice in terms of programming.
I started learning two languages Qbasic and Visual basic as a beginner, therefore decide to learn python due to the course I'm doing. I'm somehow confuse in specification and brand of laptop to get.
I'm planning to use this system for 3-4 years. And the way economic is, Laptop are now expensive and will get more expensive in year to come.

I will appreciate your suggestion �.
Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by airsaylongcome: 3:59pm On Apr 20, 2022

Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:13pm On Apr 20, 2022
airsaylongcome:

4 gig ram won't even run react and frontend is like the part that doesn't require that much hardware. 1 gig ram. You won't even go above JavaScript.
Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by airsaylongcome: 4:16pm On Apr 20, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

4 gig ram won't even run react and frontend is like the part that doesn't require that much hardware. 1 gig ram. You won't even go above JavaScript.

OP said he was learning Python na why I share those specs. If he said FE or full stack I for dey reason another thing
Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:24pm On Apr 20, 2022
airsaylongcome:

OP said he was learning Python na why I share those specs. If he said FE or full stack I for dey reason another thing
Oh okay. Basic python though. None of the above will run Django or do data analysis with medium datasets.
Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by Newusername(m): 4:25pm On Apr 20, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Good afternoon sir, I have a ASUS VIVOBOOK 10th gen 4gb Ram, core i3 laptop. Can it run full stack and python?
Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by airsaylongcome: 4:30pm On Apr 20, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Oh okay. Basic python though. None of the above will run Django or do data analysis with medium datasets.

Hahahahahahahahaha...Tensa you wicked o. Person dey ask for recommended laptop you dey talk about Django! Who don dey learn Django go know as e dey got for "street"
Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by The5DME(m): 4:40pm On Apr 20, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Hahahahahahahahaha...Tensa you wicked o. Person dey ask for recommended laptop you dey talk about Django! Who don dey learn Django go know as e dey got for "street"
It is well.
Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by JoyousFurnitire(m): 4:42pm On Apr 20, 2022
Since you're planning to use for above 2 years, get a laptop with 8GB RAM and about 500GB hard disk space. It will be expensive but you're covered for like the 2-3 years.

More importantly is the battery life. Go for the one that will last about 6 hrs minimum.

1 Like

Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by Willwinn(m): 4:47pm On Apr 20, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Thanks boss
This were the research I was able to gather so far. But which brand will be suitable?
1.Storage :- 1-2 Tb
2.Processor :- 10th Gen core i5-i7/ 11th Gen Core i5-i7
3.Ram:- 16gb
4.Graphics card :- Nvidia Gefore/ AMD Radoen (Great display and comfortable keyboard).
5.Strong battery life.
6.Back-light
7. Webcam.[/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by Willwinn(m): 4:50pm On Apr 20, 2022
JoyousFurnitire:
Since you're planning to use for above 2 years, get a laptop with 8GB RAM and about 500GB hard disk space. It will be expensive but you're covered for like the 2-3 years.

More importantly is the battery life. Go for the one that will last about 6 hrs minimum.

Thank you sir smiley

1 Like

Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by Willwinn(m): 4:55pm On Apr 20, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I will be going into those aspect as I advance. You can share your spec related to it.
Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Apr 20, 2022
Get any Mac or any Windows Intel Core i5 or above with SSD.
Get SSD even if it's 256Gb you can afford.
8gb DDR4 minimum and you're good for a start.
Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by JsScript: 7:59pm On Apr 20, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Please don't discourage him, 4GB ram will do react and frontend, it's what I've been using to practice.
U can start with this and upgrade later
Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by Deicide: 8:46pm On Apr 20, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Stop talking out of your Yansh.... explain how 4gb ram isn't enough for React?

@Op get yourself a Raspberry PI 4B that way you'll get yourself familiar with Linux environment and also Programming in general.
Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by ichidodo: 8:46pm On Apr 20, 2022
I learnt python and Django with a 2gig intel atom Toshiba Mini, Hell my first gig writing a multimedia compression algorithm in less than 18 hours was done with that Baby....I have far better laptops now but I still hold on to her due to sentimental reasons. A normal 4gig machine should suit you very well for what you want to do... Besides, tis not about the size of the man in the fight but tis about the size of the fight in the man...Go for it but don't spend to much for an overkill.
Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:02pm On Apr 20, 2022
Deicide:
Stop talking out of your Yansh.... explain how 4gb ram isn't enough for React?

@Op get yourself a Raspberry PI 4B that way you'll get yourself familiar with Linux environment and also Programming in general.

Lol I was using an 8 gig ram folio and I almost lost my job. A very little Gatsby repo I got in my first job will take 2 hours to startup and that's even after I upgraded the ram. Before I upgraded the ram, it will take 6 hours. Once it's open and I start working, I will get ram errors and my computer will start to hang very seriously. To manage things, I had to make sure I had a maximum of 3 tabs open on chrome and one or two components files open on vscode. Infact I couldn't even run vscode and localwp together. It was a recipe for disaster.

When my boss was getting frustrated no one told me to change laptops. For toy apps you will enjoy it but once you want to start doing anything advanced, you will cry. I have a nairalander too here who was learning coding. Very good and dedicated guy. He was using a 4 gig pavilion. He couldn't learn react as the laptop was frustrating him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by Deicide: 9:23pm On Apr 20, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Lol I was using an 8 gig ram folio and I almost lost my job. A very little Gatsby repo I got in my first job will take 2 hours to startup and that's even after I upgraded the ram. Before I upgraded the ram, it will take 6 hours. Once it's open and I start working, I will get ram errors and my computer will start to hang very seriously. To manage things, I had to make sure I had a maximum of 3 tabs open on chrome and one or two components files open on vscode. Infact I couldn't even run vscode and localwp together. It was a recipe for disaster.

When my boss was getting frustrated no one told me to change laptops. For toy apps you will enjoy it but once you want to start doing anything advanced, you will cry. I have a nairalander too here who was learning coding. Very good and dedicated guy. He was using a 4 gig pavilion. He couldn't learn react as the laptop was frustrating him.
shìt I forgot you guys are probably using Windows grin
Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:27pm On Apr 20, 2022
Deicide:
shìt I forgot you guys are probably using Windows grin

Windows 10. Windows 11 is even worst.
Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by AgentGoat: 10:02pm On Apr 20, 2022
ichidodo:
I learnt python and Django with a 2gig intel atom Toshiba Mini, Hell my first gig writing a multimedia compression algorithm in less than 18 hours was done with that Baby....I have far better laptops now but I still hold on to her due to sentimental reasons. A normal 4gig machine should suit you very well for what you want to do... Besides, tis not about the size of the man in the fight but tis about the size of the fight in the man...Go for it but don't spend to much for an overkill.

What's your background before IT if you don't mind?
Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by Avast(m): 10:09pm On Apr 20, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

my 8gig ram lenovo still hang whenever I run react
Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:10pm On Apr 20, 2022
Avast:

my 8gig ram lenovo still hang whenever I run react

Bros it's crazy.
Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by Sheriman(m): 3:32am On Apr 21, 2022
Let talk the reality, to be on safer side and to have peace of mind when developing anything on your machine get core i5 and above with 16GIG RAM and 256SSD Intel UHD graphics card 620 or Iris XE graphics or Nvidia GeForce card or AMD Radeon Ryzen graphics card.
Anything lesser than this you might still experienced some hanging lagging and frustration.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by SavageBoy: 6:43am On Apr 21, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

So Chief, what's your recommendation of the most suitable laptop specs??
Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by digitite: 6:46am On Apr 21, 2022
If you need a good Laptop for programming, email me
( support@radialhosting.com.ng )
Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:56am On Apr 21, 2022
SavageBoy:

So Chief, what's your recommendation of the most suitable laptop specs??

I would say at least 8 gig ddr4 ram. The thing is a lot of people never take into consideration the type of ram. They only just look at the size. You can't compare the speed of ddr4 ram to the speed of a ddr2 ram. A laptop with an SSD to load things faster and at least a sixth generation core i3. If you can't get these things no need to fret just get what your money can afford and switch the operating system to Linux at least you also get to learn Linux administration while coding which is another in demand skill set.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by SavageBoy: 8:04am On Apr 21, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

I would say at least 8 gig ddr4 ram. The thing is a lot of people never take into consideration the type of ram. They only just look at the size. You can't compare the speed of ddr4 ram to the speed of a ddr2 ram. A laptop with an SSD to load things faster and at least a sixth generation core i3. If you can't get these things no need to fret just get what your money can afford and switch the operating system to Linux at least you also get to learn Linux administration while coding which is another in demand skill set.

Okay,thanks
Mine is a 8Gb DDR3 RAM
I guess I'm good to go.
Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by Blesser28(m): 11:43am On Apr 21, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

If u still have the said laptop please I will like to have it
Thanks
Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:50am On Apr 21, 2022
Blesser28:

If u still have the said laptop please I will like to have it
Thanks
My mom uses it now.
Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by CaveAdullam: 11:55am On Apr 21, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

My mom uses it now.

Mine is 4gig but upgraded to 8gig.
Hp elitebook.
Intel core i5.
Windows 10.
64 bit.

Good to go for full stack?
Re: Which Laptop Can Be Used For Programming? by The5DME(m): 1:36pm On Apr 21, 2022
CaveAdullam:

Mine is 4gig but upgraded to 8gig.
Hp elitebook.
Intel core i5.
Windows 10.
64 bit.

Good to go for full stack?
Manageable for now, but you need something better, along the way.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anyone Here Good in PHP/MYSQL? / Computer Science Or Computer Engineering??? / Java Has Been Over Throned By Python

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.