Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,790 members, 7,820,774 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway (14360 Views)

Why Are APC Railway Projects So Expensive? / State Of Railway During Buhari's Time - / Prophet To Fashola: Re-open Yaba Railway Market Or Lose Your Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by aloyemeka1: 2:27am On Jul 08, 2011
[img]http://odili.net/news/source/2011/jul/6/vanguard/images/Trading-on-the-railway-1[1].jpg[/img]

Are people really shopping beside the railway in Nigeria?.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/

1 Like

Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by seanet02: 2:31am On Jul 08, 2011
That is the kind of Rehabilitation PDP is doing on our railways. I tell you, Federal Government is led by a clueless dumbo.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by aloyemeka1: 2:32am On Jul 08, 2011
seanet02:

That is the kind of Rehabilitation PDP is doing on our railways. I tell you, Federal Government is led by a clueless dumbo.

Did PDP send those people to shop beside a moving train?

1 Like

Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by seanet02: 2:58am On Jul 08, 2011
Please lecture me more on the functions of government. Am i the regulatory agency? You are better than this aloy
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by aloyemeka1: 3:14am On Jul 08, 2011
seanet02:

Please lecture me more on the functions of government. Am i the regulatory agency? You are better than this aloy

Is the PDP in charge of Lagos/Ogun/Oyo states?. is it not the function of the local government to ensure that these people stay at least 50feet from the railway to do whatever they wanna do?.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by seanet02: 3:29am On Jul 08, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Is the PDP in charge of Lagos/Ogun/Oyo states?. is it not the function of the local government to ensure that these people stay at least 50feet from the railway to do whatever they wanna do?.
The day you will cursed this fart called Nigeria is the day you discovered this place was let out to the traders by the Railway corporation. BTW it is the function of the Railway corporation to do that not the local goverment. Stand to be corrected though.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by EkoIle1: 4:31am On Jul 08, 2011
aloy/emeka:

No. The local authorities have no business anywhere around the rail system/Federal property.

You just they get worse every second sha,
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by edoyad(m): 7:44am On Jul 08, 2011
seanet02:

The day you will cursed this fart called Nigeria is the day you discovered this place was let out to the traders [i]by the Railway corporation. BTW it is the function of the Railway corporation to do that not the local [/i]goverment. Stand to be corrected though.
then doesn't that make the person leading the NRC the Dumbo ? Aren't the local authorities supposed to inform the corporation on the development if they continue to ignore it ?
And guess i that also makes the Indian PM a dumbo since scenes like that abound there.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by seanet02: 7:56am On Jul 08, 2011
edoyad:

then doesn't that make the person leading the NRC the Dumbo ? Aren't the local authorities supposed to inform the corporation on the development if they continue to ignore it ?
And guess i that also makes the Indian PM a dumbo since scenes like that abound there.
The local authorities are helpless because the adjoining lands is owned by the NRC. The guys there are really shyt
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by agitator: 8:17am On Jul 08, 2011
seanet02:

People should not sound stewpid, just because they want the PDP out of government. It is common knowledge from PH(Mile-One Market) - Aba - Enugu when the railways was operating that people sold goods even displaying same right on the rail tracks. Even in Lagos Oshodi, etc, these sites where common.

So many have lost their lives through these unsafe acts. 

When you want to criticize somebody always follow the truth otherwise, when you say the truth people wont believe you.

This is one of the reasons it's almost impossible to change the mindset of Nigerians. After you tell them lies, eat with the government. when you are out that is when you start seeing the evils and ills, which you didn't see all the time you where there.

Nigerians are not dumb, just complacent due to trust issues.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by nateevs(m): 8:57am On Jul 08, 2011
It all begins with the head. If the head is rotten, the people will in time inherit the rot. It is the job of the President to appoint the Minister of Transport whose job it is to work with professionals and build a framework under which all forms of transportation operate. Policies and procedures which govern the whole structure of transportation in the whole country is written down in a book. Buried in this book of guidelines will be one very important chapter. . . . .  SAFETY. Under this chapter, the book will state how safety in transportation can be attained. It will state somewhere in there that no one can come within 50ft of the train-line.

Because this minister already knows that there is no need just talking the talk and not walking the walk - people will go 2 ft to the railway and try to touch the speeding trains - the minister will instruct that a physical barrier is installed at 50ft to the railway and all the way. And because he knows people will still try to get through the barriers or scale the barriers, he will work in conjunction with a task force, to enforce this law.

However, because the Minister of Transport cannot think of things like this by himself, you cannot expect anything different. Everything will remain the same. Which brings us back to the very beginning of this post. Who appoints the Minister? If the person that appoints the minister does no know what needs to be implemented, how can he appoint the right Minister? Which is why whoever appoints the Minister takes the balme for a non-functioning system. Simple.

Now the question is - Who appoints the Minister?

1 Like

Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by agitator: 10:00am On Jul 08, 2011
nateevs:

It all begins with the head. If the head is rotten, the people will in time inherit the rot. It is the job of the President to appoint the Minister of Transport whose job it is to work with professionals and build a framework under which all forms of transportation operate. Policies and procedures which govern the whole structure of transportation in the whole country is written down in a book. Buried in this book of guidelines will be one very important chapter. . . . .  SAFETY. Under this chapter, the book will state how safety in transportation can be attained. It will state somewhere in there that no one can come within 50ft of the train-line.

Because this minister already knows that there is no need just talking the talk and not walking the walk - people will go 2 ft to the railway and try to touch the speeding trains - the minister will instruct that a physical barrier is installed at 50ft to the railway and all the way. And because he knows people will still try to get through the barriers or scale the barriers, he will work in conjunction with a task force, to enforce this law.

However, because the Minister of Transport cannot think of things like this by himself, you cannot expect anything different. Everything will remain the same. Which brings us back to the very beginning of this post. Who appoints the Minister? If the person that appoints the minister does no know what needs to be implemented, how can he appoint the right Minister? Which is why whoever appoints the Minister takes the balme for a non-functioning system. Simple.

Now the question is - Who appoints the Minister?

All your insinuations is rubbis.h when did this start, with the present administration?

Stop dancing around issues. Nobody likes what is happening, but when people bend the truth just because they are against somebody then there is problem. Selling along rail tracks did not start in 2009.

I wont be surprised if you have never lived in Nigeria, or even if you have lived or lives in Nigeria, you have never seen a market along rail lines because you have been privileged to do you shopping in supermarkets, or no rails pass through where you are staying.

What I'm saying is if you want to discredit somebody do it wisely, not to play with peoples intelligence.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by edoyad(m): 10:34am On Jul 08, 2011
agitator:

All your insinuations is rubbis.h when did this start, with the present administration?

Stop dancing around issues. Nobody likes what is happening, but when people bend the truth just because they are against somebody then there is problem. Selling along rail tracks did not start in 2009.

I wont be surprised if you have never lived in Nigeria, or even if you have lived or lives in Nigeria, you have never seen a market along rail lines because you have been privileged to do you shopping in supermarkets, or no rails pass through where you are staying.

What I'm saying is if you want to discredit somebody do it wisely, not to play with peoples intelligence.
abeg tell them. I've been seeing traders on rail tracks since before i could even walk. All of a sudden it's Jonathan's problem.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by aloyemeka1: 11:23am On Jul 08, 2011
Eko Ile:

No. The local authorities have no business anywhere around the rail system/Federal property.

You just they get worse every second sha,

Yes they do; the women are not selling on the tracks I hope you know, they are selling beside the tracks which belongs to the local authorities.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by oderemo(m): 11:52am On Jul 08, 2011
Yes they do; the women are not selling on the tracks I hope you know, they are selling beside the tracks which belongs to the local authorities.

@ alloy , where did u get that frm,local authorities does not own land beside rail tracks ANYWHERE in the world.
at least u are looking @ 1 or 2 kilo clear of the rail tracks be4 local auth . can make a claim to land.
once worked @ railway EBJ. long tym ago, so i know.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by Rgp92: 12:01pm On Jul 08, 2011
Poor people, this look very dangerous undecided undecided angry angry cry cry
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by riches5k: 12:02pm On Jul 08, 2011
compare nigeria railway to dis , what a pity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJG7DPPM-3A
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by DaDoctor: 12:06pm On Jul 08, 2011
This is really bad though, but i see this in lagos so so much! Lets not be dumb and blame the PDP, safety and orientation, that is why it is everyones call of duty, afterall safety and orientation agencies abound at state and federal level, THEY ARE INTENDED TO ADDRESS NATIONALS AND NON NATIONALS (Humans) So the people should wait for GEJ TO SAY, PLS LEAVE BEFORE THEY DO,

Where does the tax this people pay go to if you want to educate me?
The loacl authorities collect the tax? and allow the people to perish ? No care! Pls its a collective call,

The few months back a CORPER WAS CRUSHED AT THE YABA RAIL END!

Too bad! NL sef
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by citizenY(m): 12:10pm On Jul 08, 2011
Ehen, this will be OShodi in 2015
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by Fhemmmy: 12:36pm On Jul 08, 2011
I honestly never even knew we have railway that runs Lagos - Ibadan.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by nateevs(m): 12:47pm On Jul 08, 2011
agitator:

Stop dancing around issues.  Nobody likes what is happening, but when people bend the truth just because they are against somebody then there is problem. Selling along rail tracks did not start in 2009.

Hehehehe. You are saying a lot yet saying nothing. No one is playing with anyone's intelligence dude. If you think my insinuations are rubbish then it's only a valid explanation as to why Nigeria has a long way to go. Bros, I used to walk past Oshodi every single day for a long time in my life so cannot lecture on what is not.

The only rubbish you see in my post is because I dare to say the problem is the President's. You are obviously a GEJ supporter. If you think I bending the truth, tell me what the truth is.

I honestly do care how long this decadence has lived, if you have someone in power who is willing to wipe it all out in a month, it will happen. See what Fashola did at Oshodi. Naysayers like you will say it's not Fashola's duty because it's been like that since 1960. It's Fashola's bleeping job because he is the Governor now and guess what, he did it.

You obviously do not have any ideas of how this should work and you dare tell me I am talking rubbish. Please highlight where I am wrong.

- Is it that it is not the President's job to appoint Federal Minister of Transport?
- Is it that it is not the Minister to  establish a frame work under which all modes of Transportation operate?
- Is is that it is not the Minister's job to ensure Safety along all Federal roads, rail and transport facilities?
- And by safety, is it that it is not the Ministry's job to barricade the Railways to prevent access to the train-lines?
- Is is that if people disregard the law, they should not be punished?
- And lastly is it that if the Minister cannot get this right, then the President has to appoint someone who can?

Why don't you answer all these questions and if you think I am wrong, point us to the solution wherever applicable. Replying with a load gibberish does not make your point any clearer.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by executinal(m): 12:54pm On Jul 08, 2011
See Naija see rail way line with their trail self grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by emmatok(m): 12:56pm On Jul 08, 2011
It is the job of NRC to make sure people don't come near rail-line.

But these NRC workers are encouraging these activities, because they collect money from the people.

In civilised societies  NRC will face legal actions for negligence.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by agitator: 1:00pm On Jul 08, 2011
nateevs:

Hehehehe. You are saying a lot yet saying nothing. No one is playing with anyone's intelligence dude. If you think my insinuations are rubbish then it's only a valid explanation as to why Nigeria has a long way to go. Bros, I used to walk past Oshodi every single day for a long time in my life so cannot lecture on what is not.

The only rubbish you see in my post is because I dare to say the problem is the President's. You are obviously a GEJ supporter. If you think I bending the truth, tell me what the truth is.

I honestly do care how long this decadence has lived, if you have someone in power who is willing to wipe it all out in a month, it will happen. See what Fashola did at Oshodi. Naysayers like you will say it's not Fashola's duty because it's been like that since 1960. It's Fashola's bleeping job because he is the Governor now and guess what, he did it.

You obviously do not have any ideas of how this should work and you dare tell me I am talking rubbish. Please highlight where I am wrong.

- Is it that it is not the President's job to appoint Federal Minister of Transport?
- Is it that it is not the Minister to  establish a frame work under which all modes of Transportation operate?
- Is is that it is not the Minister's job to ensure Safety along all Federal roads, rail and transport facilities?
- And by safety, is it that it is not the Ministry's job to barricade the Railways to prevent access to the train-lines?
- Is is that if people disregard the law, they should not be punished?
- And lastly is it that if the Minister cannot get this right, then the President has to appoint someone who can?

Why don't you answer all these questions and if you think I am wrong, point us to the solution wherever applicable. Replying with a load gibberish does not make your point any clearer.

Your points are very clear wink wink wink never mind me with my unclear points

There is a difference between criticizing somebody to take action and just plan saying he is stuopid.

What you people have been hammering is that things are not being done because the president is stuopid.  Anything that happens now is GEJ.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by DaDoctor: 1:02pm On Jul 08, 2011
@agitator,,,,,,,^^Dont mind them jare^^
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by fxtopedia(m): 1:10pm On Jul 08, 2011
Fresh Air!!!
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by johnie: 1:10pm On Jul 08, 2011
Remember this thread?

Aljazeera Airs A Heartbreaking Program About Lagos(25 May 2011 -Video)  
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-674926.0.html

[flash=600,600]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyni7iI579Y[/flash]

Do you remember how some posters were berating the government for clearing the rail line of the squatters?

Govt clear you complain, govt no clear you complain!

Naija people, what will satisfy you?
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by whobemumu(m): 1:10pm On Jul 08, 2011
some people ignorance na die

there are certain structure that are federal govt property  and have no  bizness with local govt

highways , railways , ports ( not sure about the whole of coastline as there was a court judgement some years back )

high tension lines  and many others

this my friends is a lapse of the railway corporation and by extension the federal govt
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by whobemumu(m): 1:16pm On Jul 08, 2011
damn see where ppl de stay , very sad

no be everybody de lagos de enjoy
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by johnie: 1:21pm On Jul 08, 2011
Here's a post on that thread by by Rabzy on May 26, 2011, 11:09 AM. (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-674926.128.html#msg8396198) and I agree with him
----------------------------------

This is bad rep for Lagos, though the problem is caused by gripping poverty in the Hinterlands. At least from the video the guys acknowledged that they are better-off here than where they came from, they could eke out a living here, whereas in their hometown there was virtually little they could do

As per the people selling on the railway and expressway, when accidents happen and a mad trailer driver crushes people to death there, it is the government that gets the blame for allowing them. And when you arrange for some to leave maybe provide a place for them to sell, others promptly take over the space. Most times the government gives warning, but the warnings are not heeded.

Immediately the KAI officials leave, you see people setting up their kiosks again. There are several places where the government erected barricades (e.g oshodi) and barb wires to prevent people from crossing the highway, but people pull down these barriers and risk their lives.

Its a complex situation and the solution is not just straight-forward, it would take time, people would have to be educated and be re-oriented, the economy needs to grow, light has to be stable, and we wont solve all the same year.
For me since the mid-sixties, we have hardly had a government and now we are just learning how to vote, who to vote for, how to make a constitution, how to prosecute people etc. The finished product is still some decades away and in fact the product is never finished, there should always be a 'new improved ariel' in the way we do things, at least some state governments have started doing some things, eventually maybe later mediocres would even be scared to present themselves or forced to perform.
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by dejavu1(m): 1:22pm On Jul 08, 2011
The local authorities (LGA) collect levies and even allocate space to the traders, Fashola took a bold step by clearing oshodi(though homeless/area boys are still maintaining their ground there), so it's really neither here nor there, but since the local authority are on ground and even closer to the people they should stop commercialising the space and make sure the rail lines are free for the safety of the citizenry,
Re: Interesting Picture On Lagos-ibadan Railway by DaDoctor: 1:40pm On Jul 08, 2011
@dejavu, pls tell them

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Senate ‘appeals’ Court Ruling Nullifying Omo-agege’s Suspension / The Randy And Lavish Lifestyle Of Christopher Brambaifa Son Of NDDC Boss / Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.